• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2012 (Dec 03 - Dec 09)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think the U will see a huge drop next week. The poor software sales tell me this 90% sell-through was just because it was launch week. Even Vita had a good launch week. The U won't be a big success in JP, imo.

Vita didn't have a good launch week but whatever, if you want to believe it believe it.

I think the U will see a huge drop next week. The poor software sales tell me this 90% sell-through was just because it was launch week. Even Vita had a good launch week. The U won't be a big success in JP, imo.
Wii U has one of the highest tie ratio for a system launch. Vita had 60% sell through.

Well said my ass.

This is pure bullshit, the only thing DCharlied did was being wrong about a Monster Hunter sales prediction. That's it..

Correction, he proclaimed he was right and everyone else was definitely wrong about MH3G over and over and over and over and over.

Oh lord.
Vita didn't have a good launch week but whatever, if you want to believe it believe it.

Software wise or hardware wise?

Didn't it sell more than the U? Anyway, that wasn't the main point of my post. The poor software sales are the story.

Wii U has one of the highest tie ratio for a system launch. Vita had 60% sell through.
Every game except NSMB and MH completely bombed. Nintendoland maybe a mild hit but I guarantee that 72k is less than Ninty was hoping for as they want NL to be a Wii Sports type of hit.

Didn't it sell more than the U? Anyway, that wasn't the main point of my post. The poor software sales are the story.

Every game except NSMB and MH completely bombed. Nintendoland maybe a mild hit but I guarantee that's less than Ninty was hoping for as they want NL to be a Wii Sports type of hit.

NL did not completely bomb and even zombi u didn't do too bad for a Western game on almost no userbase

Every game except NSMB and MH completely bombed. Nintendoland maybe a mild hit but I guarantee that's less than Ninty was hoping for as they want NL to be a Wii Sports type of hit.

Every game aside from Wii Sports and Twilight Princess bombed for Wii. Every game bombed for PS3. Every game bombed for Vita. There was only a few 3DS titles that sold well at launch. What's this mythical console where a majority of launch titles do well?

Lyude77

The software sales for the top 3 weren't poor. The others were definitely poor, but the top three were very good. History suggests Japan doesn't like buying more than two games with their consoles, based on past software tie-in ratios, so I think that the top three doing well while the rest do awful is more related to Japanese spending habits and the appeal of those three games more than it is a complete lack of interest in the others and the console. I expect the WU and the top three to continue selling well into January, until like the 25th, where they will drop off majorly unless a big game comes out like Wii Fit U or Pikmin 3 or something.

There could still be a large drop, but I would guess it would be supply based. We'll wait until next week to see who's right. :p

This. I also remember he said a few times that MH3G was in the bargain big, when even on Amazon was on full price or close to, and the Best Price version is selling well despite costing more than what he said he could find in many stores. Weird.

the difference is DCharlie is in Japan, going around shops and looking how things goes in real, you are watching a site from your PC in Italy

it was you that said "Amazon.jp sales are not important "? So now it becomes important ?

It's something similar when MH3 was released: after some weeks it was heavily discounted in some shops (note : "some", not "all") and people here got crazy.
I was in Japan in summer 2009 and i confirmed the situation, discount was made just is some shops (Sofmap the first one which comes to my mind), but it was real.

I can't understand why so much people are complaining what DCharlie said

ps : wanna know which 3DS game was the easiest to find last summer in used shops like Book-off ? that one listed at full price on Amazon.jp you mentioned above ;)

Every game except NSMB and MH completely bombed. Nintendoland maybe a mild hit but I guarantee that 72k is less than Ninty was hoping for as they want NL to be a Wii Sports type of hit.

Vita did not have a good first week software wise. Also didn't you say a little while ago you had no knowledge of Japanese sales so how are you saying the software numbers are bad?

Bumhead

Banned
I'm not usually one to cry and bitch about this sort of stuff, but I've noticed Heavy is really trigger happy about criticising the Wii U in just about every Wii U thread I open.

You should really chill out a bit, mate.

watershed

Banned
Why does every sales discussion get to a point where people try to spin good numbers as bad? The Wii U has had a pretty good launch according to the numbers available. Anecdotal evidence cannot negate the larger sales impression given by the weekly data. Of course this data says nothing of how the Wii U will play out in the months to follow. But for now, no matter what anecdotal evidence we have of non-existent advertising or in-store system availability, the numbers tell its a 90% sell through rate with a 1.44(?) attach rate.

Vita did not have a good first week software wise. Also didn't you say a little while ago you had no knowledge of Japanese sales so how are you saying the software numbers are bad?

Heavy has been going around proclaiming that Wii U sales have been bad in all regions. It's his thing. He wants the Wii U to sell badly, no matter the evidence.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What sales performance in Europe? Most of the anecdoctal evidence is coming from those in the UK, a severly declining game ecosystem. We don't have sales numbers from anywhere else

Seeing the software charts in Germany, where everything but NSMBU dropped from the Top 100 (!) and only Mario could at least stay in the Top 25 (barely), I actually don't see the Wii U performing well in Germany either. And by the way, I'm living in Germany, too, and seeing that Amazon and GameStop are starting sales already (GameStop offers a Basic Wii U with Mario and some accessories cheaper than buying them seperately, Amazon offers 20€ off of a white Wii U), it doesn't seem all too rosey here either.

Lyude77

Seeing the software charts in Germany, where everything but NSMBU dropped from the Top 100 (!) and only Mario could at least stay in the Top 25 (barely), I actually don't see the Wii U performing well in Germany either. And by the way, I'm living in Germany, too, and seeing that Amazon and GameStop are starting sales already (GameStop offers a Basic Wii U with Mario and some accessories cheaper than buying them seperately, Amazon offers 20€ off of a white Wii U), it doesn't seem all too rosey here either.
Looks like Basic doesn't sell particularly well anywhere...

I will say I would expect NSMBU to be the only popular enough game there to stay in the top 25/100, though I don't know what the sales of the lower games are usually like (1,000 or so?). Zombi U disappointed, maybe, relative to my expectations. Nintendo Land is already packed in the bundle everyone would buy, so that probably did ok.

I probably shouldn't make evaluations without actually knowing numbers though, based on how this turned out, haha.

It's definitely a cause for concern in that once NSMBU and MH3G's appeal run out the system is will be looking at bad times if other big software isn't out. It isn't bad in the sense that this wasn't expected with that launch lineup. Batman, Assassin's Creed, and Ninja Gaiden were not going to do well especially after none did particularly well on the system that has 25x the userbase

I'm not usually one to cry and bitch about this sort of stuff, but I've noticed Heavy is really trigger happy about criticising the Wii U in just about every Wii U thread I open.

You should really chill out a bit, mate.

Chill out? What makes you think I'm riled up at all smh

Heavy has been going around proclaiming that Wii U sales have been bad in all regions. It's his thing. He wants the Wii U to sell badly, no matter the evidence.

No, I haven't. I think it'll drop off a cliff during Jan-Feb-March. That's been the only consistent prediction I've made.

It's definitely a cause for concern in that once NSMBU and MH3G's appeal run out the system is will be looking at bad times if other big software isn't out. It isn't bad in the sense that this wasn't expected with that launch lineup. Batman, Assassin's Creed, and Ninja Gaiden were not going to do well especially after none did particularly well on the system that has 25x the userbase
Basically people expect games to suddenly increase in popularity just because it appears on yet another platform.

Bolded is a cause for concern IMO, everything else ranges from good to great.

Big, popular games with mass appeal sell the most, whats so alarming?

That would work if we knew that there was plenty of supply in Japan like Vita's second week. Wii had a big second week drop too (5 weeks for 2006 since it launched one week earlier).

Media Create

Famitsu

Well that just complicates matters a little then, we'll just give it til the new year then I suppose.

Regarding Wii U, it has big road ahead if it wants to stay competitive by taking advantage of the user base difference against the nextboxt/ps4. I hope Nintendo releases Yoshi Island U early Q1 to keep things steady.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I hope Nintendo releases Yoshi Island U early Q1 to keep things steady.

Nintendo, sadly, hasn't even announced Yoshi's Land Wii U and if I remember correctly, it was said to be announced on December 10, where there was not a single announcement by Nintendo :(.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Steering back to everyone's favorite comatose platform for a moment, what's the Vita's current unreleased line-up after all the announcements?

I'm finding:

-Soul Sacrifice (Exclusive)
-Phantasy Star Online 2 (Port)
-Tales of Hearts R (Remake)
-One Piece Musou 2 (PS3/Vita)
-Project Versus J (PS3/Vita)
-Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (PS3/Vita)
-Madou Monogatari (Exclusive)
-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)
-Monster Monpiece (Exclusive)
Edit - From the community:
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita)
-Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (Exclusive)
-Valhalla Knights 3 (Exclusive)
-Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Port)
-Toukiden (PSP/Vita)
-Gundam Breaker (PS3/Vita)
-Steins;Gate (Port)

(I'm intentionally leaving off vaporware like FFX HD.)

Am I missing something?

Steering back to everyone's favorite comatose platform for a moment, what's the Vita's current unreleased line-up after all the announcements?

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)

Am I missing something?

I thought Demon Gaze wasn't Vita. Anyway you're missing the one that will actually sell the most lol. God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita). The lineup isn't going to bring it out of comatose with the biggest games being on much healthier platforms but it certainly is much better than what they have been doing. Seems the only thing Sony could get out of 3rd parties was port and multiplatform titles.

Edit: I must be thinking of another Demon title.

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)

Am I missing something?

What's the title of that Jump game that has just been announced for Ps3/Vita?

That may have some sales potential actually.

edit: that should be Legend of heroes, you already mentioned it.

test_account

XP-39C²

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)

Am I missing something?
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (exclusive), Valhalla Knights 3 (port) and Muramasa: The Demon Blade (port) are also coming sometime next year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought Demon Gaze wasn't Vita. Anyway you're missing the one that will actually sell the most lol. God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita). The lineup isn't going to bring it out of comatose with the biggest games being on much healthier platforms but it certainly is much better than what they have been doing. Seems the only thing Sony could get out of 3rd parties was port and multiplatform titles.

Has any new media or news for GE2 released recently? Seems like its stuck in development hell.

Wow the game has been so quiet I forgot it existed!

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (exclusive), Valhalla Knights 3 (port) and Muramasa: The Demon Blade (port) are also coming sometime next year.

Thanks.

Bumhead

Banned
Chill out? What makes you think I'm riled up at all smh

Well, you seem pretty determined to hammer home your opinion that the Wii U is a dud product set to fail to as many people as possible in as many threads as possible. I've seen you regurtitate the same general negativity about the Wii U in any number of threads since it released; enough to the point that it's notable.

Certainly comes across like you've got some issue going on. I wouldn't call it normal behaviour.

Big, popular games with mass appeal sell the most, whats so alarming?

Lack of sales from everything else.

Keep in mind the highest selling PS3 launch title sold like 35k.

I think the PS3's troubled launch is a very low bar to set.

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita)
-Valhalla Knights 3 (Port)

Am I missing something?

I don't see any of those games selling more than 200-300k at best.

Well, you seem pretty determined to hammer home your opinion that the Wii U is a dud product set to fail to as many people as possible in as many threads as possible. I've seen you regurtitate the same general negativity about the Wii U in any number of threads since it released; enough to the point that it's notable.

Certainly comes across like you've got some issue going on. I wouldn't call it normal behaviour.

Do yourself a favor and read this sticky.

Also, there are lots of people who only post positive things about the system, they don't dare criticize it in any way and defend everything about it down to a tee, but why are they not getting your ire? Leave me be. I don't insult anyone and am nice.

disco

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita)

Am I missing something?

Things are really looking up on the Vita front. Glad to see some competition to the 3DS; everyone likes a healthy market. At least it makes up for more interesting M-C threads on here.

test_account

XP-39C²
Valhalla Knights is actually a brand new game.
Doesnt Valhalla Knights 3 also excist for the PSP?

EDIT: Another game i remembered is "Box! Open Me". That AR game where you have to open boxes. I'm not sure if it is a retail game, but at least it is an upcoming game :)

Pooya

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita)

Am I missing something?

Gundam Breaker

vaporware games like Dragon's Crown too.

entire list of everything for Vita announced.
http://www.famitsu.com/review/schedule/psvita.html

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

this.

Things are really looking up on the Vita front. Glad to see some competition to the 3DS; everyone likes a healthy market. At least it makes up for more interesting M-C threads on here.

The 3DS will have multiple games that sell every single one of those combined next year. I don't see any of that breaking Vita out of the sub 10k market its currently in.

Edit: Yes, heavy's ridiculous posts don't need to be brought up from previous topics when you can use the ridiculous posts in the new topic anyway.

Isn't that referring to threads and not posts within a thread

No
The constant meta-discussions need to end. Address subjects and arguments, and participate straightforwardly or don't at all. Your commentary on someone's posting habits isn't welcome.

Edit: Yes, heavy's ridiculous posts don't need to be brought up from previous topics when you can use the ridiculous posts in the new topic anyway.

Ugh...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita)

Am I missing something?

all the recent announcments are changing Vita's destiny in Japan for next year for real, imho, if Psp will finally pass over and if Sony will cut the price.
not 3ds-level, but way better than 2012 for sure (there will be also FFX hd?)

Not sure I agree. Taking a wild guess

-Soul Sacrifice (Exclusive) - Has potential and seems like it'll be pushed pretty hard by SCEJ, comes a month after DQVII which gives it time, just hope that MH4 doesn't come out in the same month. Maybe 200k sales
-Phantasy Star Online 2 (Port) - Maybe 50-100k?
-Tales of Hearts R (Remake) - Original sold 200k+ same as ToI, but remake of ToI only sold 50k on vita, around the same for this?
-One Piece Musou 2 (PS3/Vita) - First on PS3 sold 800k, 80/20 split sounds about right so 160k for vita if sales stay the same
-Project Versus J (PS3/Vita) - The DS games sold over 500k, assuming sales stay the same and 80/20 split, 100k or so
-Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki (PS3/Vita) - No idea
-Madou Monogatari (Exclusive) - No idea
-Dead or Alive 5 (Port) - Will sell more than the 360 version (I think)
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (Port) - Maybe 10K
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive) - No idea
-Monster Monpiece (Exclusive) - No idea
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita) - GE and GEB sold over 500k in Japan each, 80/20 split, so around 100k for vita version

If some of those games were exclusive (one piece, versus j, GE), then maybe I would agree with you but people will buy ports/multiplat games for the systems they already own.

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita)

Am I missing something?
I see only one game on that list selling over 100k and most of them far far far lower

I'm finding:

-Dead or Alive 5 (Port)
-Demon Gaze (Exclusive)
-God Eater 2 (PSP/Vita)

Am I missing something?

Isn't PSO 2 a multiplatform title instead of a port? Otherwise nearly every PS3 title would be considered a port, since the 360 is usually the lead platform for multiplats.

Top Bottom