• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2012 (Dec 03 - Dec 09)

Almost certain some did, or rather like Bioshock, never entered development. 3DS was publically stated to have that as a potential problem and that was doing far better than the Vita was at a similar timespan.

Its quite possible the distinct lack of 3ds games in the west this holiday may be because of that situation

On a related note, I'm genuinely curious as to why Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo are still so bullish on Vita. Well, not that bullish - nearly all their upcoming titles are late ports or multiplatform with one of the other Sony platforms - but certainly relative to other Japanese third parties.
Panic mode SCEI. Welcome to what you can get. ;)

Marvelous AQL also has a strongish push for Vita coming up. All this plus SoulSac/PSO2 coming so close together in Q1/spring is feeling like a bit of an attempted platform relaunch/course correction. Or last gasp, take your pick.

Thoraxes

Since people are calling LaytonXWright a bomba, what were L5/Capcom's sales estimates for it? If there were numbers I never got a chance to see em :/

Sadist

Man, look at the 3DS go. Cool. Major bumps for software as well.

Wii U launch is pretty decent. Nothing more, nothing less.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
jesus christ the 3DS. Nintendo's got a endless stream of cash flowing in

we knew about the U, good sales althogether

test_account

XP-39C²
Panic mode SCEI. Welcome to what you can get. ;)

Marvelous AQL also has a strongish push for Vita coming up. All this plus SoulSac/PSO2 coming so close together in Q1/spring is feeling like a bit of an attempted platform relaunch/course correction. Or last gasp, take your pick.
What is kinda crazy to think about is that the Vita has a stronger 3rd party lineup than the WiiU for 2013. I wonder if the WiiU will be able to get "welcome to what you can get". When is the next Nintendo Direct?

Foshy

What is kinda crazy to think about is that the Vita has a stronger 3rd party lineup than the WiiU for 2013. I wonder if the WiiU will be able to get "welcome to what you can get". When is the next Nintendo Direct?

The Wii U's situation is looking extremely similar to the Vita's. Let's see if the parallels continue with a harsh sales drop next week.

The Wii U's situation is looking extremely similar to the Vita's. Let's see if the parallels continue with a harsh sales drop next week.

The difference is that Nintendo's first party IPs can sustain a platform, to a certain extent.

Initial software sales damage the reliability of the Vita comparison.

Sadist

Q1 is pretty empty for 3DS as well, I'd say after Christmas. 3DS/Wii U mish mash

zroid

Banned
Code:
| 3DS # |  8.728.515 |
| PS3   |  8.593.899 |

hail to the king

also Paper Mario bomba :{ I hope it has legs

Seriously, where the hell are the 2013 Wii U announcements from Japanese third parties? We're rapidly approaching the point where it'll be safe to say that Nintendo is having the same problems courting third parties at home as they are in the West.

Sadist

Woops, my bad.

Well they need soms extra releases to beef up the release list. Didn't they announce a lot of releases dates with the December 2011 Direct?

Foshy

The difference is that Nintendo's first party IPs can sustain a platform, to a certain extent.

Initial software sales damage the reliability of the Vita comparison.

Looking at worldwide numbers, software sales were very poor outside of Japan. Except for NSMBU (and Nintendo Land which was bundled), nothing sold any meaningful amounts. Also, there's next to nothing on the horizon.

I don't see the Wii U selling anywhere near the 3DS next week.

Kacho

Gold Member
Seriously, where the hell are the 2013 Wii U announcements from Japanese third parties? We're rapidly approaching the point where it'll be safe to say that Nintendo is having the same problems courting third parties at home as they are in the West.

Yep. Very disconcerting.

I used to put this down to Nintendo keeping everyone quiet until near launch. And then it launched...

It's starting to look this might be disastrous, but Nintendo first party IP can keep Wii U afloat a lot longer than Sony's IP in Japan but that won't last forever. I'm seriously starting to think that almost every 3rd party is busy preparing for the launch of the other two to care, and what could go to Wii U is going to go to the 3DS instead. Speaking of the 3DS I realize MH4 and DQ7 is a huge Q1 for them, but where are the announcements for that as well.

hiska-kun

Since people are calling LaytonXWright a bomba, what were L5/Capcom's sales estimates for it? If there were numbers I never got a chance to see em :/

According to Media Create the first shipment is around 300k.
Maybe Christmas can save this disaster situation.

vareon

What strikes me as weird is that that Fist of The North Star 2 game was announced for Wii U while One Piece was for PS3/Vita. I thought the reverse was more likely, but no.

I dunno, even the 2nd version of DQX is bigger than pretty much everything Vita has lined up. Wii U is frighteningly barren, but it hasn't been bomb city quite yet like Vita so there's hope.

Actually, which system sold more 3rd party software in 2012 so far, Wii or Vita?

kunonabi

What strikes me as weird is that that Fist of The North Star 2 game was announced for Wii U while One Piece was for PS3/Vita. I thought the reverse was more likely, but no.

Namco Bandai seems completely uninterested in the Wii U. One would have expected otherwise considering TTT2 and them helping out on Smash but here we are.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I used to put this down to Nintendo keeping everyone quiet until near launch. And then it launched...

I kind of feel the "top secret NDA" suspicion has never panned out.

When the 3DS was announced, we found out about a huge slough of games. The only time it's really beneficial to hide what support you have is when, in reality, you don't have that much of it, since then you can at least try to push the idea that you have more support that's just being hidden.

If you really do have support though, it makes far more sense to just run around shouting about how incredibly well supported and successful you are so anyone who wants to buy your system will instantly know they will receive tons of high profile support.

I dunno, even the 2nd version of DQX is bigger than pretty much everything Vita has lined up. Wii U is frighteningly barren, but it hasn't been bomb city quite yet like Vita so there's hope.

Actually, which system sold more 3rd party software in 2012 so far, Wii or Vita?

Well DQX so easily Wii.

If you really do have support though, it makes far more sense to just run around shouting about how incredibly well supported and successful you are.

I agree the top secret NDA has basically become a safe point for people who don't really want to think of the possbility that Nintendo failed hard with 3rd parties, but to be fair Nintendo does have a history with super short interludes between announcement and release for HUGE games i.e. MH3G last year and DQ7 this year. They announced 3G far later than they should as bad as the 3DS was doing before the price drop.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I agree the top secret NDA has basically become a safe point for people who don't really want to think of the possbility that Nintendo failed hard with 3rd parties, but to be fair Nintendo does have a history with super short interludes between announcement and release for HUGE games i.e. MH3G last year and DQ7 this year. They announced 3G far later than they should as bad as the 3DS was doing before the price drop.

Is that really Nintendo's doing though, or just how the third parties are rolling?

DQ6r also had an incredibly short announce -> release window, and I doubt Nintendo was telling someone to suppress information on an end of life DS title.

FWIW, I'm not quite as concerned about the minuscule number of third-party 2013 Wii U announcements to date (there's really no chance that DQX and FotNS are close to the entirety of 2013 Japanese third-party support for the platform) as I am about the lack of any indication that multiplatform titles like MGSV/Ground Zeroes, Lightning Returns, and Dark Souls II are coming.

I'm not expecting to see all of those titles on Wii U even in a best-case scenario, but if the situation isn't addressed to some extent within the next few weeks, it's probably safe to assume the worst.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FWIW, I'm not quite as concerned about the minuscule number of third-party 2013 Wii U announcements to date (there's really no chance that DQX and FotNS are close to the entirety of 2013 Japanese third-party support for the platform) as I am about the lack of any indication that multiplatform titles like MGSV/Ground Zeroes, Lightning Returns, and Dark Souls II are coming.

I guess my question would be if there is much benefit to those three series?

Like, those three in particular seem like series that would likely be targeting the higher end of the PS4/720 next-generation and also trying to appeal heavily to the West where doing so is much more necessary.

According to Garaph there were only 2 3rd party titles that charted so far this year for Wii, so in that case, Vita.

I'm interested to see if the recent One Piece and Jump games will do anything. PS3/PSV is better for Vita sales than PSP/PSV.

I'm very excited to see how MH4 does, as well. I have a feeling it will surpass expectations (unless expectations are MH3rd numbers).

RM8

45% boost for NSMB2 during the week when NSMBU gets released? How can those games not cannibalize at all? Lol.

Pretty good WiiU debut, but I'm rooting for 3DS to be the biggest system these holidays.

According to Garaph there were only 2 3rd party titles that charted so far this year for Wii, so in that case, Vita.

DQX was one of those titles. Of course there were a lot of Vita titles that did around 30k I believe so I guess Vita would win.

I like to know what happens if the WiiU big in Japan but not big in EU or US?

That's probably the worst case scenario for a console even though it's not terrible for a handheld.

Well DQX so easily Wii.
All 3rd party Vita games haven't moved over 600k? That's a pretty frightening prospect. Shouldn't Persona 4G and Project Diva f be around 200k each? I have to imagine *everything* else is north of 200k combined?

By year's end Taiko SDX should probably be 300k+ and Inazuma Strikers Go maybe around 100k, so Wii pulling ahead in the end wouldn't be a stretch I guess.

The problem with the top secret NDA thing is that it's how Nintendo did things to this point though. It was like this for Blops 2, for EA Sports, for Sonic Racing 2, for NFSMW, for Epic Mickey 2, for WO3, for F1 Race Stars, for 007 Legends and tons of other examples. It's probably going to be the case again for stuff like Tomb Raider and Blacklist too. It's a terrible strategy yes, and yeah it may be more about veiling what they didn't get than what they did, but it's been backfiring at virtually every step.

We've been down this road before though, and it very well could turn out the same with expected support failing to materialize. Vita was generally given the benefit of the doubt until the following E3/GC/TGS though, while Wii U isn't yet a month old.

zroid

Banned
Bomba? It's in line with every single previous entry. I guess the franchise is just not as popular as we'd like it to be.

Oh, really. I don't know about the series' history, but some in previous threads had said a number around 120k would be a disappointment. Pretty much what I based that comment on. :p

Maybe "bomba" was a bit harsh, lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The problem with the top secret NDA thing is that it's how Nintendo did things to this point though. It was like this for Blops 2, for EA Sports, for Sonic Racing 2, for NFSMW, for Epic Mickey 2, for WO3, for F1 Race Stars, for 007 Legends and tons of other examples. It's probably going to be the case again for stuff like Tomb Raider and Blacklist too. It's a terrible strategy yes, and yeah it may be more about veiling what they didn't get than what they did, but it's been backfiring at virtually every step.

We've been down this road before though, and it very well could turn out the same with expected support failing to materialize. Vita was generally given the benefit of the doubt until the following E3/GC/TGS though, while Wii U isn't yet a month old.

There were criticisms of the "wait for" statements the entire time though. Only some gave the benefit of the doubt.

Well I was one of the people who were very skeptical of Vita's supposed amazing support that was coming, so I'm not going to really change that stance for Wii U. If you (Nintendo or Sony) don't show me the support I'm not going to BELIEVE until you do.

Oh, really. I don't know about the series' history, but some in previous threads had said a number around 120k would be a disappointment. Pretty much what I based that comment on. :p

It was that much for the entire month from DCCharlie's terribad predictions.

I presume they were talking LTD.

This figure is bang in line with what you should expect.

EDIT: Oh, you were thinking DCharlie's predictions. Say no more. :lol

VICI0US

Nintendo having nearly 90% of the entire country's hardware sales is pretty insane.

multiple titles showing their legs and popping back up on the charts while poor Vita doesn't even get a holiday bump :\

and I agree about the Wii-U software situation in 2013, Nintendo is really keeping their cards too close to their chest there. One of many mistakes Sony made with the Vita was they had a solid launch but the future was, and sadly pretty much still is, a huge question mark. Future titles need to be revealed to build consumer confidence. Hopefully there's a nintendo direct coming to do just that, it'd be a pretty big mistake to wait all the way until e3/tgs 2013 to start showing games beyond the few we know about in q1/q2 2013.

Top Bottom