• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

L~A

I keep wanting home consoles to do well but I don't know why. When I look at my own playing habits, I am exclusively a handheld player.

There's nothing in weird in wanting a diverse video game market for traditional consoles in Japan.

Crap console sales > less console game sales > less console games made and publisher unwilling to take risks > worse and worse. What's more, even though some franchises will or already have found a new home on handheld (or smartphones), some will probably disappear altogether (happened pretty often in the past, even when traditional consoles sales were considered healthy, so it's only going to get worse).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Asd202

Smash Bros. Wii U
USA: 490.000 (first few days)
Japan: 244.747 (first week)
France: 200.000 (expected until the end of the year)
UK: 31.000 (minimum first week)

Total: 966.000

Should be a million seller by now. Maybe it breaks 2.000.000 worldwide by the end of the year.

What? You're saying it can sell a double of what it sold in the month of it's release? No it's not going to happen.

Meier

The hardware discrepancy between the trackers is really strange. I was hoping for Nintendo's sake that Smash would have done significantly better -- that's a bit of a shame.

Ahhh, okay. Haven't been keeping up in media crate sales, so I don't know what the normal sales numbers are.
In this calendar timeframe, the PS3 was doing in the 40Ks from a quick look back at equivalent periods. The Wii ranged from 100K+ to around 40K or so in its wane.

And last year the Wii U did just under 50K.

So a 25K holiday lead up isn't good.
And the PS4's like 15K is completely awful.

allan-bh

So Melee versus Smash Wii U first week?

Super Smash Bros Melee- 327.815 (Media Create)
Super Smash Bros Melee- 357.101 (Famitsu)

Super Smash Bros for Wii U- 227.527 (Media Create)
Super Smash Bros for Wii U- 244.747 (Famitsu)

Melee was launched on wednesday, so is 5 days of sales. Wii U version is 2 days.

Frillen

This was highly anticipated release, games don't sell more on their second months and there aslo Wii U install base problem. Smash will have legs but it will not sell 1 million in December.

Second month isn't a normal month though, it's December, the biggest sales month.

mao2

Guilty Gear Xrd is much lower than I expected/hoped. As for Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 3, I guess the announcement of Samurai Warriors 4-II killed it. Ah well... :/

ByWatterson

Is it just me, or have PS4 numbers been steadily increasing over the last few months? Maybe console gaming isn't dead in Japan after all?

Asd202

Second month isn't a normal month though, it's December, the biggest sales month.

Even if Wii U will sell over a million during the December I don't see that many sales for Smash, there's also lack of Smash Wii U bundel and 3DS version may takeaway sales as it's a cheaper alternative.

L~A

I know that but I don't expect it to sell more than in November.

You're comparing 9 days (US) / 3 days (EU) vs 31 days during the best period of the year for video games. 2m isn't really that farfetched, tbh, though obviously nothing's guaranteed. I'd be really surprised, though.

What's more, we don't have numbers for the Americas just yet, so the numbers posted above are incomplete and the game has actually already sold over 1m ww.

mao2

Is it just me, or have PS4 numbers been steadily increasing over the last few months? Maybe console gaming isn't dead in Japan after all?
The numbers aren't exactly great though... Anyway PS4 Dragon Quest Metal Slime Edition comes out tomorrow so hopefully we'll see a nice boost next week.

Yamauchi

Banned
There's nothing in weird in wanting a diverse video game market for traditional consoles in Japan.

Crap console sales > less console game sales > less console games made and publisher unwilling to take risks > worse and worse. What's more, even though some franchises will or already have found a new home on handheld (or smartphones), some will probably disappear altogether (happened pretty often in the past, even when traditional consoles sales were considered healthy, so it's only going to get worse).
Yes, you make some good points.

Alrus

Smash/WiiU, Jesus what a flop :/

Heh it's not that bad considering the game was released on 3DS prior. Not great though. People who thought the Wii U might "recover" just from that game were insane anyway.

They should really cut the price on the Wii U soon if they don't want it to reach Xbone status next year.

antibolo

Banned
Why are people calling Smash Wii U a flop? Aren't you realizing that it's like a 11% attach rate within the first week? There's only so much that game could sell.

Now Guilty Gear Xrd on the other hand... ugh...

hiska-kun

60% - 80% sellthrough per Famitsu probably means just that.

Famitsu sell through percentages for the PS3 version were only 60-80%. Doesn't seem high enough to warrant sales problems.

The blog reported a 70% sellthrough first day. Tsutaya is reporting stock problems.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=141725392

Looks Famitsu sellthrough... Ok

About 3DS, some retailers are making nice deals (for example saving 3.000 yen) for old models. I guess MC sample has more shops with that deals, and Famitsu less.

Super Smash Bros Melee- 327.815 (Media Create)
Super Smash Bros Melee- 357.101 (Famitsu)

Super Smash Bros for Wii U- 227.527 (Media Create)
Super Smash Bros for Wii U- 244.747 (Famitsu)

Melee was launched on wednesday, so is 5 days of sales. Wii U version is 2 days.

it's also worth noting Melee was only 2 months after the Gamecube came out in Japan, so yeah

also so much for Smash doing much in Japan, it can't even stop the YoY bleeding

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's a good thing DQ: Heroes comes out next February for PS4. The console NEEDS some Japanese audience. Right now it's a decent platform for Western games, at least the first week (most Western games did well enough at debut when compared to PS3 SKUs), but Japanese games...urgh. DQ: Heroes is going to be very important.

L~A

The blog reported a 70% sellthrough first day. Tsutaya is reporting stock problems.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=141725392

Looks Famitsu sellthrough... Ok

About 3DS, some retailers are making nice deals (for example saving 3.000 yen) for old models. I guess MC sample has more shops with that deals, and Famitsu less.

Ah, so there's some special deals going on. 3 000 Yen is nothing to scoff at, especially since the N3DS is slightly more expensive than the OG 3DS already.

Tom_Cody

People are acting like the 3DS version was made to help soften the blow of Wii U and Wii U version bombing, when that wasn't the case at all.
I think the problem here is that the meaning of my original post was not clear, which is totally understandable since it was so brief.

What I was trying to communicate was that the 3DS version was always going to be the lead platform in terms of sales, and yet many on GAF had framed it as an obsolete side-project.

I think the problem here is that the meaning of my original post was not clear, which is totally understandable since it was so brief.

What I was trying to communicate was that the 3DS version was always going to be the lead platform in terms of sales, and yet many on GAF had framed it as an obsolete side-project.

this is funny, I'm pretty sure Nintendo fans were the only ones saying it could go the other way

also lol at PS4 Guilty Gear vs The Crew

antibolo

Banned
Too bad the PS4 will probably not reach one million before the end of the year. There aren't any big PS4 releases for December, aren't they?

Top Bottom