• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

Takao

Banned
I'm not convinced Yokai Watch will be a smash hit in the US either. It should get a bigger push than LBX solely due to its success in Japan, but I'm not sure that will be maintained. A huge part of these kids properties is the TV show and to get exposure you need a venue. If Yokai Watch isn't airing on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon (maybe even Netflix) proper at a decent time, it's in for an uphill fight.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This is the main reason I don't think Yokai will take off. Maybe if this was 1999 but the handheld and anime market are not what they once were.

True.

Furthermore, Cartoon Network & Nickelodeon shows are really pushing for internally developed properties as oppose to third-party shows such as the likes of Pokemon.

It really depends on how the property is handled & needs a proper advertising campaign, which I'm not sure either Bandai Namco or Nintendo is interested in investing large sums of money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
one could have made that same argument when pokemon was first set to come to the west ..

I do think it's a bit harder to sell Japanese products now, but at its core I feel what they'd really need is a strong toy partner like Hasbro to help push the merchandizing (and similarly a strong network partner for the cartoon), and I don't think they actually have one.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
of course the airing of the anime would be important. I also think that tomodatchi showed how a japanese portable IP could take off in the West. maybe exactly because it is japanese
about LBX it is selling well as toy in Italy, also thanks to the cartoon, but the real launch will be next sprong. still don't know about rest of Europe

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, another way to do this is look at the Japanese animated media brands that have majorly appealed to kids in the West and start looking at when they were created:

1979: Gundam
1984: Transformers
1985: Dragon Ball
1986: Saint Seiya (more so Europe)
1991: Sailor Moon, Sonic The Hedgehog
1996: Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh
1997: Naruto, Digimon, One Piece (mostly Europe)
1999: Beyblade

I think the closest thing to a recent show would be Bakugan in 2007, which I don't believe is actually anywhere near as popular compared to the others.

Is there something recent I'm forgetting?

If we're talking about aiming to sell something like 200-300K in the West then the comparison is of course very different, but I'm assuming we're talking more about major brands.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd say Bakugan and Beyblade were probably bigger in the west than Gundam ever was.

This is definitely possible. I was a bit out of the range for Bakugan when it came out.

If I read Wikipedia correctly, I saw it was a Canadian-Japanese production, so I imagine it was probably at least quite popular in Canada.

Based on my limited understanding of Yokai Watch and its medals, Skylanders probably occupies the niche anyways.

Toys to Life is pretty crowded, yeah, but I don't know if you need the Yokai Medals to use the characters in video game, do you?

Well, another way to do this is look at the Japanese animated media brands that have majorly appealed to kids in the West and start looking at when they were created:

1991: Sonic The Hedgehog

I think the closest thing to a recent show would be Bakugan in 2007, which I don't believe is actually anywhere near as popular compared to the others.

If we're talking about aiming to sell something like 200-300K in the West then the comparison is of course very different, but I'm assuming we're talking more about major brands.

Inazuma Eleven has been very popular in Italy, Spain, France and Germany.

vinnygambini

1991: Sonic The Hedgehog

You forget the most important of all:

I think Doraemon is worth mentioning as well; though he never attained the same success as he did in the West, he is quite popular in countries such as China & India.

Takao

Banned
I think Doraemon is worth mentioning as well; though he never attained the same success as he did in the West, he is quite popular in countries such as China & India.

Throw that alongside B-Daman Crossfire, Digimon Fusion (this one less so than the others) and LBX as recent kids anime misfires in the US. I will always appreciate this image tho:

rO3WXM5.jpg

vinnygambini

The only dominant players left in the marketplace are mostly Toei properties & Pokemon.

Recent Interview with VIZ Media Vice President Publishing Leyla Aker:

What titles do you have at Walmart?
Hamric: Every Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and most Pokemon.

Yu-Gi-Oh!?
Hamric: No Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Pokemon is having a fantastic year in other categories. Are you seeing that across channels?

Hamric: Pokemon in every channel is doing remarkably well. The sell-through just keeps getting better and better. Everything from book trade to online to the Scholastic Book Fairs. It's incredible.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29311.html

Long gone are the days where retailers would stock anime properties, and Saturday Cartoon Shows in general.

It's a tough market and it's going to be an uphill battle for Youkai Watch to receive any type of recognition - it's going to need a significant investment from Bandai Namco (most likely the master toy license) and I'm not sure they are willing without some kind of financial aid, either from Nintendo (publisher), or exposure, from kid-centered channels, which seem less likely with each passing year now that the CW Vortexx have dissolved (Yu-Gi-Oh! was on that channel) with only 4 major players left: Cartoon Network, Disney XD, Nickelodeon, and Nicktoons.

And like I mentioned earlier, the 4 channels above are switching more and more to internally developed content - I just don't know.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The only dominant players left in the marketplace are mostly Toei properties & Pokemon.

Recent Interview with VIZ Media Vice President Publishing Leyla Aker:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29311.html

Long gone are the days where retailers would stock anime properties, and Saturday Cartoon Shows in general.

It's a tough market and it's going to be an uphill battle for Youkai Watch to receive any type of recognition - it's going to need a significant investment from Bandai Namco (most likely the master toy license) and I'm not sure they are willing without some kind of financial aid, either from Nintendo (publisher), or exposure, from kid-centered channels, which seem less likely with each passing year now that the CW Vortexx have dissolved (Yu-Gi-Oh! was on that channel) with only 4 major players left: Cartoon Network, Disney XD, Nickelodeon, and Nicktoons.

And like I mentioned earlier, the 4 channels above are switching more and more to internally developed content - I just don't know.

This is why we need an official Nintendo TV Channel *dreams*

Forgot Bleach :p

I'd say Bakugan and Beyblade were probably bigger in the west than Gundam ever was.
As I recall, the only Gundam that met the Japanese's expectations in the west was Wing. The rest made far less of an impact, and eventually Bandai gave up on pushing Gundam as a major franchise in the west.

Takao

Banned
yokai watch seems more japanese than pokemon
can't call a rice ball a jelly filled doughnut and be over with it

In the anime itself, the major character Jibanyan declares that he is a huge fan of NyaaKB48, an idol unit formed by "Nyasushi Nyakimoto-sensei" — a reference to AKB48's real-life creator and producer Yasushi Akimoto. Jibanyan collected all the NyaaKB48 CD, goods, and "sexy shot" photo collections, and his room is plastered with posters. The anime even depicts Jibanyan going to NyaaKB48's handshake events, just like the ones AKB48 holds so fans can meet their idols.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...o-kai-watch-sub-group-for-ending-theme/.82262

and they say yokai watch is incompatible with the vita audience
jibanyan probably owns a purssnyita

hiska-kun

Hoping to find a copy of Shin Uchi for myself when I land in Tokyo tomorrow :~

Good Luck.

Ikebukuro Bic Camera (sold out 完売)
699F4213-1AAE-4E8D-9C2B-E5BCCB55B188_zpsut4k5soc.jpg

Shinjuku Bic Camera (sold out 完売)
AF6BE15E-0584-4541-B9FB-8469DB234656_zps6qzgpvfd.jpg

Shinjuku Yodobashi Camera (only units for pre-orders, next shipment is unkown)
78CD056F-D279-4D60-921A-640B54462E8E_zps4oz83xqy.jpg

Shibuya Tsutaya (sold out 品切れ中)
AF911AE5-26CF-4086-8269-31F29219B06E_zpsnf9d9cln.jpg

Dragon Quest Heroes Bundle still available:
722F7128-D5F1-4C69-A0BB-7ED39D28BEBD_zpslp4gu8qz.jpg

http://gamestalk.net/youkai-watch-2-6/

Youkai Watch 2 Honke/Ganso/Shinuchi has shipped 5 million in Japan!

I wonder where. I guess they haven't arrived at shops yet.

tolkir

Mazinger was huge in Spain, even they built a statue.

L~A

Ha ha. Youkai Watch is already past the 5m units "shipped".

YW1: over 1.2 units sold (according to both MC and Famitsu)
YW2: over 3m units sold (including digital sales)
YW2.5: over 1.2m units sold

Total: 5.4m units sold.

At this rate, 6m before the end of the year isn't farfetched, though it'll depend on just how many copies L5 will be able to send to retailers.

Darius

Banned
Ha ha. Youkai Watch is already past the 5m units "shipped".

YW1: over 1.2 units sold (according to both MC and Famitsu)
YW2: over 3m units sold (including digital sales)
YW2.5: over 1.2m units sold

Total: 5.4m units sold.

At this rate, 6m before the end of the year isn't farfetched, though it'll depend on just how many copies L5 will be able to send to retailers.

Interesting to see that 3DS will have the best selling 3rd party retail game ever in Japan, despite all the doom and gloom and competition.

Impotaku

out of curiosity, what's the new content in Shinuchi?

are people just hyped beyond help and must have any thing related to YW?

or is it a legit thing with stuff that adds to the experience?

Whole new area with several new bosses and a ton of stuff to do, a new main quest storyline tying in the plot of the film. New youkai that were unobtainable in ganso & honke. New bosses for the youkai buster multiplayer portion of the game, several youkai getting S rank upgrades.

Loads of new additional content unlocks when you link them with the other 2 versions both in shinuchi and in ganso/honke, all versions get new stuff when you link together. Shinuchi isn't YW 2.5 it's the 3rd part that was always meant to be there, there were youkai you could battle in ganso & honke but there was no way possible to get them onto your team as they were always meant for shinuchi.

Each game has differences beteen them all including quests that are uniqe to each version, hell even each game has a unique animated intro and song.

gtj1092

Interesting to see that 3DS will have the best selling 3rd party retail game ever in Japan, despite all the doom and gloom and competition.

Isn't DQ9 the best seller ever. None of the YW games are close to it unless you are combinining every version.

Isn't DQ9 the best seller ever. None of the YW games are close to it unless you are combinining every version.

It's Monster Hunter Portable 3rd on PSP. Technically, you can count the 3 versions of YW2 together since they're basically the same game in the vein of Pokémon Blue, Red and Green.

And despite the doom and gloom after YW's mediocre first week :p

Actually, with Transformers, the media is American.

The original Diaclone/Microman figures were Japanese, but the fiction, the set up, backstory, names, factions, personalities, faction symbols and even which figures ended up being Optimus Prime and Megatron, were all created by Marvel, and the G1 comics they published were actually released before the cartoon aired, which itself came out in the US first, with Japan not actually getting the carton until 1985.

Impotaku

Technically, you can count the 3 versions of YW2 together since they're basically the same game in the vein of Pokémon Blue, Red and Green.

No they aren't, there are differences to the main story and to the quests depending on the version you play. In pokemon the core game is identical with the only difference been the monsters you can find.

Darius

Banned

I´m talking about YW2, with just the first week sales of its third version it´s already at something like 4.2 millions, by the end of the year it will likely be quite close to the 5million mark and over time very likely also top that mark.

Top Bottom