• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2016 (Feb 01 - Feb 07)

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, those Wii U shortages are real!

Wonder if Vita will pass its last YTD despite the weeks not lining up.

Alright for Naruto I guess. And I wonder if we'll finally see Minecraft Vita dropping out of the charts soon!
Vita sold about 10.5k in week 6 2015 and about 11.5k in week 7 2015, so it should probably pass its YTD in a week or two.

So, with all the games coming to PS4 and this WiiU shortages, the PS4 might catch WiiU's LTD a lot sooner than most were expecting.

Pretty much says how console sales in Japan have been beyond pathetic this generation when Wii U happens to be a sale metric.

test_account

XP-39C²
Pretty much says how console sales in Japan have been beyond pathetic this generation when Wii U happens to be a sale metric.
I dont think its really being used as a sales metric in whats to be expected, but rather referring to the the few discussions thats been about when the PS4 will pass the WiiU.

Powwa

How is that 75%'ish drop a 'good hold' for DQB, I dont get it :/

How much should it have sold? I think that's a quite normal drop for second week.

For Wii U I think the numbers are quite low, how did Nintendo managed to mess up the shipments.

disap.ed

see, it was that stupid hybrid frankenstein of a CPU that has Wii cores inside it to allow for BC. if they had off the shelf parts like the competition, this wouldn't happen. time to kill BC with NX.

i'm half serious. they shouldn't have went with a custom design like that but that alone wasn't going to reverse the Wii U's fate.

You can be full serious about this. They could have easily chosen a off the shelve x86 CPU and put the Wii CPU core on the package for BC's sake (it is tiny!)
A doubled Bobcat APU, maybe slightly modified, would have been absolutely sufficient.
EDIT: Sorry for getting off-topic.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
WiiU selling more in line of what's expected.

On the positive side, I may be getting in on a good bundle for 200USD but I wouldn't even bother if it wasn't such a good deal.

Also, so much for that supposed lower double digit XB number :p

Xbox One back into 3 digits, it's on fire right now

Comparatively good week for the Xbox One there.

Xbox is BACK!

The reason ?

Feb.25 :
61DRDZTnOTL._SL160_SL160_.jpg

Guamu

so are you saying that amazon, Tsutaya, Yodabashi online store being sold out, and the various reports we have are false?

http://gamerlife.blog.jp/1051733315.html
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194689332&postcount=599
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194765852&postcount=666
http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/

Rakuten even confirmed there won't be stock until late February or even March.

This situation is ridiculous.

WII U's been a failure in sales all around the world, and now there's not stock in the only territory that had "it's not so bad" to "ok" to "this is somewhat good" sales.

Nintendo kicking itself in the butt, thanks to region locking.

Somebody page cheesemeister3k :p

Elandyll

Banned
WiiU shortages?
They won't be able to tell the difference outside of Japan.

b2e.png

/jk in case not clear.

Splatoon though... it truly is the un-dead ever selling title.
Good hold on DQH and PS4.

XB1 trippling its weekly sales! PR incoming... ;)

cause the bar is low. as long as it's not > 80%, it's considered good. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash had a great hold!

a bit early for this talk, isn't it?

99.99999999999999% (true statistic) of Japanese PS3 owners bought their console for FF Versus 13. That same 99.99999999999999% will buy PS4 for it now, therefore PS4 will outsell PS3.

True facts.

Xenus

As posted aready, it seems to be something not completely depending by them. It's more "embarassing" for Mitsumi than for Nintendo, IMHO.

Not really. It's deeply embarrassing for both especially if that March projection is true. It's either that they didn't restart production soon enough which shows a complete lack for foresight by Nintendo or that they can't produce them fast enough to keep a production rate at a fraction of what the other major consoles are doing which points either to something terrible design wise or more likely lack of allocating enough resources to the project.

see, it was that stupid hybrid frankenstein of a CPU that has Wii cores inside it to allow for BC. if they had off the shelf parts like the competition, this wouldn't happen. time to kill BC with NX.

If they do that the Wii U will live forever as a legacy device for the hardcore. I have little faith they'll ever recapture the amount of Nintendo platform history that's accessible via that device.
At least until they take down the Wii Shop.

beril

i'm half serious. they shouldn't have went with a custom design like that but that alone wasn't going to reverse the Wii U's fate.

The other consoles don't use off the shelf parts either. They both use big custom SoCs. (Though that does mean there's one part less that can cause production problems)
I'm not sure what the last console with a true off the shelf CPU was. Megadrive?

Vena

I can't help but laught at the WiiU but more of a saddened chuckle than anything. I didn't think we'd see the day when its out of stock like this, and the time line for restock is comically bad. We're going to keep tanking if supply is this limited and new stock so far away. How low can it go?

Everything else is pretty much normal, though Vita dropped harder than I thought but I guess that's partly due to the lack of a notable release for the week while the PS4 had Naruto to barely keep it flat. DQB holding decent but seeing the (almost) RPG fall.

3DS continues to chill with no releases.

pastrami

The other consoles don't use off the shelf parts either. They both use big custom SoCs.
I'm not sure what the last console with a true off the shelf CPU was. Megadrive?

Wasn't the Xbox CPU a stock Pentium III?

Edit: Nevermind, seems it wasn't stock.

What's the next title for PS4 that could shift some hardware? SFV?

Preorder wise SFV doesn't look too hot though and it's not like SFIV was a big game in Japan. Same week has Attack on Titan (doesn't look to hot either in preoder charts) and Setsuna also though so maybe the combination of these three will lead to some kind of hw boost. Next big game will be Dark Souls III in late march. Before that The Division and Gundam Breaker 3 could have decent openings.

Vena

What's the next title for PS4 that could shift some hardware? SFV?

Dark Souls 3.

Preorder wise SFV doesn't look too hot though and it's not like SFIV was a big game in Japan. Same week has Attack on Titan (doesn't look to hot either in preoder charts) and Setsuna also though so maybe the combination of these three will lead to some kind of hw boost. Next big game will be Dark Souls III in late march. Before that The Division and Gundam Breaker 3 could have decent openings.

Setsuna won't do anything, its digital. The Division should enjoy the regularly observed "western" audience buying it up for around ~100k (give or take).

Next few weeks should see the PS4 slide down again back towards ~20k (Naruto gave it a decent boost of, probably, around 3-4k and DQB tail its keeping it up as well), and the Vita will slowly go back down as well. The 3DS may see a bump next week but I'm not sure who's much left to sell to given the rather pronounced market saturation at this point and that SMT is a sequel.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I can't help but laught at the WiiU but more of a saddened chuckle than anything. I didn't think we'd see the day when its out of stock like this, and the time line for restock is comically bad. We're going to keep tanking if supply is this limited and new stock so far away. How low can it go?

Everything else is pretty much normal, though Vita dropped harder than I thought but I guess that's partly due to the lack of a notable release for the week while the PS4 had Naruto to barely keep it flat. DQB holding decent but seeing the (almost) RPG fall.

3DS continues to chill with no releases.

Well, if this shortages really last until "the end of March", then it becomes comical as hell, and someone will have to give answers about what happened (actually, that should be happening already). Hopefully, it doesn't last that much.

Also, yep, Builders' results aren't bad at all.

Setsuna won't do anything, its digital. The Division should enjoy the regularly observed "western" audience buying it up for around ~100k (give or take).

Next few weeks should see the PS4 slide down again back towards ~20k (Naruto gave it a decent boost of, probably, around 3-4k and DQB tail its keeping it up as well), and the Vita will slowly go back down as well. The 3DS may see a bump next week but I'm not sure who's much left to sell to given the rather pronounced market saturation at this point and that SMT is a sequel.

Yeah. As a whole this Q1 for PS4 looks definitely a bit weaker than last year when it had biggish game pretty much every week pushing hw. Q2 in other hand looks already quite bit better with Star Ocean V (well it releases during the last day of Q1), Uncharted 4, One Piece Burning Blood, Umbrella Corps and Dragon Quest Heroes II (and some western titles that could do decently like Far Cry and Mirrors Edge). Last year only game that had over 50k opening during Q2 for PS4 was Witcher 3.

I think the collective releases over the next week will help slightly mitigate the drop for PS4.

Yeah, that DQB cover is a beaut.

You all think DQB can hit 1M LTD in just Japan (all versions and digital)?

Vena

Yeah. As a whole this Q1 for PS4 looks definitely a bit weaker than last year when it had biggish game pretty much every week pushing hw. Q2 in other hand looks already quite bit better with Star Ocean V (well it releases during the last day of Q1), Uncharted 4, Umbrella Corps and Dragon Quest Heroes II. Last year only game that had over 50k opening during Q2 for PS4 was Witcher 3.

Well it started Q1 better than last year (and the price is cheaper) but we go into slaughter season on a weak schedule for two to three weeks. And, looking at the Vita, I don't think DQB is going to give much of a sustained hardware push to anything after this week. Though I don't think it was quite intended for AoT and SFV to be pre-order non-existent.

Funnily enough, if you moved the hardware boost of the DQH to 2015 rather than its weird pre-order time of holidays 2014, we'd basically be flat YoY so far with coinciding DQ spin-offs since the gap YoY is only ~20k.

I kinda like the fact they have custom silicon. It's tailored to their software development. It's specific, the right tool for the right job, no less no more.

One thing I was thinking about in terms of Vita hardware sales. I believe it is going to be one of the first systems to ever sell in the 7-10 million range. Most systems in Japan either stay under 5-6 million or reach success and sell more than 10 million, there hasn't been much in that mid-range. I think N64 was around 5.5 mil and the Saturn was around there as well. The PS3 sets the other side of that range at over 10 mil.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You can be full serious about this. They could have easily chosen a off the shelve x86 CPU and put the Wii CPU core on the package for BC's sake (it is tiny!)
A doubled Bobcat APU, maybe slightly modified, would have been absolutely sufficient.
EDIT: Sorry for getting off-topic.
Bullshit.

Hmmm, the Wii U situation explains Mario Maker's quick drop off these past few weeks since that's one of the bundles available. Splatoon under 10K in Famitsu....more like Splatdoom!

PS4 holding too well, it needs to do bad. :p

Ryng_tolu

Banned
This situation is ridiculous.

WII U's been a failure in sales all around the world, and now there's not stock in the only territory that had "it's not so bad" to "ok" to "this is somewhat good" sales.

Nintendo kicking itself in the butt, thanks to region locking.

Somebody page cheesemeister3k :p

Can i understand what the hell mean "it's not so bad" to "ok" to "this is somewhat good" sales?

Wii U in Japan is a huge flop, and For huge i mean HUGE, let's be serius withouth that Splatoon / Mario Maker moment Wii U Always sold Like crap, maybe just in the holidays 2013 it sold good but when all is well and done, Wii U is a super fail. Not even Close to "it's not so bad", "ok", "this is somewhat good".

And no, doesn't matter the japanese console market, those numbers remain atrocius, just Like in the test of world, it won't even outsell GameCube.

Well it started Q1 better than last year (and the price is cheaper) but we go into slaughter season on a weak schedule for two to three weeks. And, looking at the Vita, I don't think DQB is going to give much of a sustained hardware push to anything after this week. Though I don't think it was quite intended for AoT and SFV to be pre-order non-existent.

Funnily enough, if you moved the hardware boost of the DQH to 2015 rather than its weird pre-order time of holidays 2014, we'd basically be flat YoY so far with coinciding DQ spin-offs since the gap YoY is only ~20k.

Especially AoT doing as bad as it has in preorder charts has been pretty damn weird. Maybe fans are just getting tired of Musou games (AoT franchise itself is as popular as it has ever been). Will be interesting to see how big drop Heroes II will see compared to original Heroes (Pirate Warrios II kind of drop or less/more?). But yeah. After Q1 PS4 should be trailing last years numbers by some amount. Will be back up yoy during Q2 probably though and can't see it sliding back to down after that either.

Vena

PS4 holding too well, it needs to do bad. :p

Come back next week? :p

Especially AoT doing as bad as it has in preorder charts has been pretty damn weird. Maybe fans are just getting tired of Musou games (AoT franchise itself is as popular as it has ever been). Will be interesting to see how big drop Heroes II will see compared to original Heroes (Pirate Warrios II kind of drop or less/more?). But yeah. After Q1 PS4 should be trailing last years numbers by some amount. Will be back up yoy during Q2 probably though and can't see it sliding back to down after that either.

Oh I did forget, but I don't expect DQH2 to actually do much for hardware because at that point it is selling to the same people as the original. Its not even looking to redefine anything, its a standard Musou-like sequel and an increase in platforms to fight off the usual decay.

Though I don't know if its reasonable to expect YoY decline even at end of Q1 since we still have the price-cut having increased the baseline and we're still in the pre-Bloodborne "soft" price drop. The more interesting period, if anything, is after the March period where the PS4 of 2016 is going to be looking very close to the PS4 of 2015 (and the soft-price drop comes into affect bringing the 2015 baseline up to 18-20k), and have had a few big releases under its belt again. The real question is what happens after that since there will be no MGSV but there will be FFXV. (DQ I assume is 2017.)

I still expect a YoY rise just due to the way things line up, I just don't expect it to be a very notable rise.

Fdkn

Attack on Titan is not a Musou game.

Actually they could have reached more success if they pursued that other plot focus that could work as musou instead lol

We should be talking about the tripling of XB1 sales. If we see that sort of sales growth week after week, Microsoft will be killing it soon enough.

Top Bottom