• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

hiska-kun

Bundles everywhere for new year's sales.
Youkai Watch 2: Shin Uchi has an urgent new shipment.
00634E4C-7F72-400B-BD7E-4682EC418A0F_zpsen9x6v02.jpg

59730442-A792-4981-8568-A2841B1788B2_zpsmdncz0yr.jpg

Now seriously, will DQH bundles hit the bargain bins? lol

I have to take pictures of new Youkai Watch Yamanote Trains too. lol

It's just amazing how Yokai Watch blew up. I remember rooting for the little game that could when it was selling like 10k max per week before the anime launched.

And now we are here lol

It's just amazing how Yokai Watch blew up. I remember rooting for the little game that could when it was selling like 10k max per week before the anime launched.

And now we are here lol

This is how huge IPs typically behave at the beginning. Think about Pokémon, Brain Training, Wii Sports, etc.

PS4 is currently ranked 9th and 10th on Amazon Japan, beating all other videogame consoles including 3DS and New 3DS, so...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/

Nov: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/2014-11/videogames
Dec: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/2014-12/videogames
Jan: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/2015-01/videogames

I'm never sure how much use Amazon is with their charts containing a mix of software, hardware, accessories and digital cards. Without numbers, raw charts are mostly useless. Just look at the ranges in the charts where there are numbers to see how things can vary dramatically.

This is how huge IPs typically behave at the beginning. Think about Pokémon, Brain Training, Wii Sports, etc.

I didn't follow the industry very closely back in the early Wii days (and I was one of those screeming 6 year olds who had to have everything with Pokemon on the box back in 1998), so it is quite something to see everything unfold before your very eyes :p

mao2

Nov: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/2014-11/videogames
Dec: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/2014-12/videogames
Jan: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/2015-01/videogames

I'm never sure how much use Amazon is with their charts containing a mix of software, hardware, accessories and digital cards. Without numbers, raw charts are mostly useless. Just look at the ranges in the charts where there are numbers to see how things can vary dramatically.
That's exactly what I was trying to say; even with the New Year's boost, there's no way PS4 will outsell 3DS so the ranking is practically useless.

I didn't follow the industry very closely back in the early Wii days (and I was one of those screeming 6 year olds who had to have everything with Pokemon on the box back in 1998), so it is quite something to see everything unfold before your very eyes :p

This is true. I also saw the touch generation booming; Brain Training debuted with 44k units and went to sell several million of copies by selling week by week a good amount.

And now we are here lol

without anime and medals Youkai Watch would have closed at 350k, around the same Fantasy Life performed, that's the only reason, nor sleeping hit neither 3DS magic power

Alrus

without anime and medals Youkai Watch would have closed at 350k, around the same Fantasy Life performed, that's the only reason, nor sleeping hit neither 3DS magic power

I love how you took a pretty innocuous post and managed to make it about something it's not heh. And I'm sure YW would have massively successful on any other dedicated gaming platform out at the time, sure.

According to Famitsu, as of Week 1, 2014 (so a week before the anime started airing), Yo-kai Watch had already sold 303.317 units, dropping just 10% from the previous week and selling 16.864 units.

Yo-kai Watch was going to sell way more than 350k units without the anime. The game was released in July 2013, and kept selling until Christmas with no anime and little merchandising. The game was a sleeper-hit already, and mainly thanks to Level-5 and 3DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
Youkai Watch 2: Shin Uchi has an urgent new shipment.
Any reason why they call it a urgent shipment? Makes me think of some car driving really fast with sirens, rushing into the stores to deliver the goods hehe.

I would say that Wii Sports was a success out of the gate. I think it was one of the bigger reasons for why the Wii was hard to get in the begining.

test_account

XP-39C²
Of course, but it didn't sell 3,6m units in a couple of months. The game debuted really well, but it kept selling for years.
Yeah, but i thought he was referring to games that blew up in popularity (like Yokai Watch 1 was selling decent to begin with, then suddently it started sell amazing (also including Yokai Watch 2)). I didnt feel that this was the case with Wii Sports at least. Felt more like a constant good seller from day one.

Yeah, but i thought he was referring to games that blew up in popularity (like Yokai Watch 1 was selling decent to begin with, then suddently it started sell amazing (also including Yokai Watch 2)). I didnt feel that this was the case with Wii Sports at least. Felt more like a constant good seller from day one.

Wii Sports wasn't a sleepe-hit as Yo-kai Watch. but it still managed to sell 3,6m starting from 150k units.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii Sports wasn't a sleepe-hit as Yo-kai Watch. but it still managed to sell 3,6m starting from 150k units.
True, but i think he was referring to games that wasnt that popular to begin with and then "blew up", starting selling a lot. A constant good seller doesnt really "blow up", in my opinion. Its not really that important though, but i just wanted to say why i commented on Wii Sports =)

According to Famitsu, as of Week 1, 2014 (so a week before the anime started airing), Yo-kai Watch had already sold 303.317 units, dropping just 10% from the previous week and selling 16.864 units.

Yo-kai Watch was going to sell way more than 350k units without the anime. The game was released in July 2013, and kept selling until Christmas with no anime and little merchandising. The game was a sleeper-hit already, and mainly thanks to Level-5 and 3DS.

the game was selling 2k in the end of 2013, the manga debutted in December, follower by the anime in January, in Spring arrived the medals which you can use into the game to unlock specific Youkai
the combination of anime and medals gave an incredibile boost to the game, becoming huge popular just before the Golden Week (end of April)
YW brand exploded in summer with the anime season 2 starting followed by the release of YW2, meanwhile the brand started appearing in many different products and everything related to YW became successfull (the top seller book in 2014, McDonald calendar with YW setted a new record for sales, the movie got almost 1mln preorder before the release, etc)

now if you still give credit to other reasons why YW is popular, free to do, but basically you are wrong
L5 itself was impressed by the success of YW (there is an interview with L5 CEO about that), even if we have to give credit to them for making a 360 degrees product, mixing Pokemon gameplay with japanese tradition, pumping up the successfull formula they used for Inazuma 11 and expanding into new directions.

So after all those words, feel free to keep going on thinking that YW success is due to 3DS

You are seriously out of your mind.

you should not comment about my personal things, to be honest

I live in Japan and I realized how YW became bigger months after months, seeing the brand becoming popular everywhere, something you can't realize just by sitting in your room and write from your keyboard

If you have any evidente that what I wrote before is wrong, please post it.
And also please some about my mental state, maybe you know better than me how I feel....

Jigorath

Banned

Thanking a system for a game's success is something I only ever see in these threads. Like if you go into an NPD thread and "thank" the PS4 whenever a game sells well on it you'd sound really strange.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Moor what the hell happened to you? Don't remember you being that bitter before :-/

And for YW, it sold 400k without the Anime/Manga which is pretty good for a new IP considering a big part of the marketing plan hadn't even launched.

Edit:

Moor you were the person that brought up the "3DS magic power", don't see anyone else mentioning that YW is only big because it's on 3DS. But at the same time it's ridiculous to claim they could have sold as many YW games on any other system than the 3DS. It's where there market is.

What are we even arguing over here?

BriBri

you should not comment about my personal things, to be honest

I live in Japan and I realized how YW became bigger months after months, seeing the brand becoming popular everywhere, something you can't realize just by sitting in your room and write from your keyboard

If you have any evidente that what I wrote before is wrong, please post it.
And also please some about my mental state, maybe you know better than me how I feel....
image.php

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Thanking a system for a game's success is something I only ever see in these threads. Like if you go into an NPD thread and "thank" the PS4 whenever a game sells well on it you'd sound really strange.

Puyo Puyo Tetris on 3DS sold more than double on PS3, PSV and Wii U combined. Who are gonna thank, God?

Moor what the hell happened to you? Don't remember you being that bitter before :-/

And for YW, it sold 400k without the Anime/Manga which is pretty good for a new IP considering a big part of the marketing plan hadn't even launched.

see the post above yours and you'll understand

ok "magic power" was exagerated, but after that I explained my point of view about YW success.
Of course 3DS helped the sales, could a game sell 5mln units on a 3mln platform? rotfl

What I meant was YW is a success for a combination of factors, not just because it was on 3DS, if it was that the reason why Inazuma 11 passed from 1mln on DS to 300k on 3DS ?

Hino (sorry I'm not good with CEO's name) said what Sammy quoted, but also he said they were surprised about how much big YW success has become :
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/05/even-level-5s-president-surprised-yo-kai-watchs-booming-popularity/
and notice that was an interview made just after GW 2014, when YW was probably half of the success it has currently.
And as i said, kudos to them for making it, this is a phenomen in this generations as it was MH on PSP in the latest one.
Kudos because they obviously planned it, invested into it, but even you make an accurate plan nobody knows if it is successfull until it reaches the market, ask Capcom for Gaist Crusher and SEGA for Hero Bank (Anime + Game + Merchandising)

Last but not least, this is not the first time someone asks about YW success, and everytime I replied about that "a combination of game, anime, manga, medals" which should be the right answer if you followed a little how things were in Japan in the latest 15 months

or just take a look at Wikipedia...

cw_sasuke

Moor this is true, but reading the last couple posts I don't see anyone denying the fact that everything else surrounding the game helped YW being the hit we know.

We, or at least most of the regular MC posters knew way before the YW launch how the strategy would play out since from Inazuma 11. All parts are related to another for their synergy to create a hit. The game itself, the system providing the userbase, marketing, Manga, Anime, Medals they are all part of it.

True, but i think he was referring to games that wasnt that popular to begin with and then "blew up", starting selling a lot. A constant good seller doesnt really "blow up", in my opinion. Its not really that important though, but i just wanted to say why i commented on Wii Sports =)

Ok, let's stick to the two previous examples, Pokémon and Brain Training ;)

the game was selling 2k in the end of 2013, the manga debutted in December, follower by the anime in January, in Spring arrived the medals which you can use into the game to unlock specific Youkai
the combination of anime and medals gave an incredibile boost to the game, becoming huge popular just before the Golden Week (end of April)
YW brand exploded in summer with the anime season 2 starting followed by the release of YW2, meanwhile the brand started appearing in many different products and everything related to YW became successfull (the top seller book in 2014, McDonald calendar with YW setted a new record for sales, the movie got almost 1mln preorder before the release, etc)

now if you still give credit to other reasons why YW is popular, free to do, but basically you are wrong
L5 itself was impressed by the success of YW (there is an interview with L5 CEO about that), even if we have to give credit to them for making a 360 degrees product, mixing Pokemon gameplay with japanese tradition, pumping up the successfull formula they used for Inazuma 11 and expanding into new directions.

So after all those words, feel free to keep going on thinking that YW success is due to 3DS

YW is also due to 3DS. That's what I was always said and implied. I don't understand why you became so passive-aggressive to the point of attacking another user that didn't even mention the 3DS to begin with.

Anyway, YW had already sold 300k units before the anime started airing; for a new IP that debuted 6 months earlies, it's quite an achievement. Even without the anime, YW could have been able to reach 500-600k units; it had legs and it sold really well during holidays, which showed an on-going interest from gamers.

Then, of course, there are a variety of reasons why YW became so successful; and its explosion surprised Level-5 as well... I mean, YW is one of the biggest IPs ever in Japan right now, in terms of units sold and merchandising.

To be honest, it seems you're trying to downplay the role of 3DS in this. Let's put in this way: YW exploded because of the anime but it couldn't have become so huge on any other platform.

PS: also, there are no season in the anime, it has been airing on a weekly basis since the launch last January.

I don't see anything weird in saying that one of the causes of a game succeeding is the platform it has been released on. Do you?

Last but not least, this is not the first time someone asks about YW success, and everytime I replied about that "a combination of game, anime, manga, medals" which should be the right answer if you followed a little how things were in Japan in the latest 15 months

or just take a look at Wikipedia...

To be fair, I remember that you always tried to downplay the role of 3DS in this topic; you've always pointed how anime and toys sold YW, leaving out of the context the platform... which is perfectly fine, I mean, everyone has his / her own ideas.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE JANUARY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Dec 29/2014 to Jan 25/2015):

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 460.000
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 50.000
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 288.000
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 34.300
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 45.500
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 44.000

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Dec 29/2014 to Jan 25/2015):

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 400k
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 50k
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 280k
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 25k
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 45k
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 40k

Eolz

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 398k
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 45k
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 224k
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 37k
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 54k
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 46k

Who in the world are you even talking to and what is wrong with you?

1) You brought up the 3DS
2) The game wouldn't have been able to sell millions on any platform besides the 3DS (well maybe mobile),
3) Not every game with an anime goes on to become the biggest hit in Japan in years

DrWong

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 435K
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 54K
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 257K
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 42K
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 58K
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 41K

Tripon

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 600K
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 50K
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 176K
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 35K
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 70K
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 35K

cw_sasuke

To be fair, living in Japan does provide him/her with a bit more insight to the situation at hand.

But no one is downplaying the importance of the Anime/Manga etc. when it comes to YW...so i dont quite get the more insight part when pretty much everyone agrees and acknowledges the fact.

nvm.

Will be interesting to see how regular sales of system will look at the start of 2015 - PS4 has a lot to prove because of the software releases. (n)3DS will need to stay afloat and buy Nintendo time for the 4DS next year.

Infinite

And now we are here lol
Helped that it became a culturally sensation with people covering the dance from the anime opening on Nico Nico Douga.

But no one is downplaying the importance of the Anime/Manga etc. when it comes to YW...so i dont quite get the more insight part when pretty much everyone agrees and acknowledges the fact.

nvm.

Will be interesting to see how regular sales of system will look at the start of 2015 - PS4 has a lot to prove because of the software releases. (n)3DS will need to stay afloat and buy Nintendo time for the 4DS next year.

sörine;145852939 said:
Doesn't BriBri also live in Japan though?

Weird thing is I think everyone here is in agreement that YW's success was a combination of things. Argument is about what exactly? How much YW would sell w/o the multimedia push?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There is a (very small) possibility that Famitsu will give hw and sw top 5 for CY tomorrow and we'll have numbers before week 52 comes out.

Top Bottom