• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2014 (Dec 15 - Dec 21)

maxiell

Surprised at the low Youkai Watch predictions. Tripon's was more along the lines of what I was thinking at the low end, sub 500k would shock me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While getting the correct platform(s) for your game is important, given there are 3DS games that sell four digit LTDs, the vast majority of a game's success would seemingly fall on the product itself along with the initiatives surrounding it.

Now, if there were no platforms left that kids played video games on that would be a problem, but for a game like this to be successful it's kind of implied that one must be a success.

However I can get the angle where people would find it kind of odd to thank the platform because similarly we don't condemn the platform for the failures of Gyrozetter, Hero Bank, or Gaist Crusher which we presumably would if we're also thanking it for the successes.

It would make more sense to credit Nintendo's game output with attracting children to the 3DS so there are people to sell this game to.

Orgen

PREDICTION LEAGUE JANUARY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Dec 29/2014 to Jan 25/2015):

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 481.000
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 57.000
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 275.000
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 39.000
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 63.000
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 41.000

Bruno MB

Surprised at the low Youkai Watch predictions. Tripon's was more along the lines of what I was thinking at the low end, sub 500k would shock me.

I predicted 460.000 expecting something like this:

Week 1, 2015 - 200.000
Week 2, 2015 - 100.000
Week 3, 2015 - 85.000
Week 4, 2015 - 70.000

I don't see how this is a low or a very conservative prediction, in fact I feel that I'm being a bit optimistic, definitely closer to the high end of expectations rather than the contrary. It is also true that I won't be surprised if its sales during the first week of the year are comfortably higher than 200.000. For week 52, 2014 I expect around 350.000 - 400.000.

sörine

Banned
PREDICTION LEAGUE JANUARY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Dec 29/2014 to Jan 25/2015):

[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 Shinuchi (28 days) - 415,398
[3DS] Kenka Bancho 6 (11 days) - 53,434
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (4 days) - 248,431
[3DS] Legend of Legacy (4 days) - 48,123
[WIU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (4 days) - 41,834
[ALL] Far Cry 4 (4 days) - 32,984

remember that sales in week 2 and 3 drop a lot from week 51,52,1
also there is the option "supply constrained"

if not stock problems maybe it can break the consecutive weeks on top spot (dunno which games and for how many weeks did that, maybe Pokemon or MH3P)
UPDATE : no, cause Tales of Zestiria

made some research

Pok D/P - 8 weeks
MHP3 - 7 weeks
YW2 - 7 weeks
MH4 - 5 weeks
Pok W/B - 5 weeks

not searched for DQ7

another interesting record for YW : during 2014 for 14 times a YW title held the top spot

YW - week 16,18,19
YW2 - week 28,29,30,31,32,33,34,36
YW2.5 - week 50,51,52

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 2, 2015 (Jan 5 - Jan 11)

1. Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <= 80k
2. Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <= 40k
3. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <= 30k

Famitsu.com's next update will be on Tuesday, while 4Gamer.net's (Media Create) will be on Wednesday for sales during Dec 22 - Dec 28, and Thursday for sales during Dec 29 - Jan 4.

Two days worth of sales data to make up for it. Excellent.

Since there's not much else going on at the moment, here's COMG's weekly ranking for the new year (Dec 29 - Jan 4). Google translated:

[3DS] specter watch 2 star performer - 327pt
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 290Pt
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 151Pt
[WiiU] Super Smash Bros. for WiiU - 135Pt
[3DS] Pokemon alpha Sapphire - 121pt
[3DS] Pokemon omega Ruby - 103pt
[3DS] Final Fantasy Explorer's - 74pt
[Vita] Phantasy Star Nova - 71pt
[Vita] Gundam Breaker 2 - 65Pt
[PS3] Gundam Breaker 2 - 48Pt
[3DS] specter watch 2 upstream - 45pt
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 - 37Pt
[3DS] corner Gurashi here I settle down - 35pt
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 34pt
[3DS] specter watch 2 Ganso - 32pt
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Yunaitia - 31pt
[3DS] march of giants - the human race last Tsubasa ~ CHAIN &#8203;&#8203;- 29Pt
[3DS] of your local railway ~ Gotochi character and Japan journey ~ - 29Pt
[3DS] One Piece Super Grand Battle X! - 29Pt
[PS4] Grand Theft Auto 5 - 28Pt

YW2.5 did half than last week (shortages?) while other 3DS big games held up well, especially MH4G

seems like also some discounted games are in the chart, Tales of the World and One Piece for 3DS and also Nova above Gundam Breaker 2, I saw it (Nova) heavily discounted in some shops
but not as much as EDF 2 Portable, probably one of the biggest bomba of the holiday season (and it deserved, you can't sell a port of a port at almost the same price you sell a new game)

week 1 << week 52 confirmed, hw will be interesting

also WE2015 into the high discounted family, I suppose

seems like also some discounted games are in the chart, Tales of the World and One Piece for 3DS and also Nova above Gundam Breaker 2, I saw it (Nova) heavily discounted in some shops
but not as much as EDF 2 Portable, probably one of the biggest bomba of the holiday season (and it deserved, you can't sell a port of a port at almost the same price you sell a new game)

I seem to remember Shining Ark for PSP charting really well this time last year but not showing up in any Media Create/Famitsu threads, so yeah, I'm guessing Tales/One Piece are heavily discounted by COMG. Wonder if any other retailers will too.

Nova has been charting alright-ish in COMG for a while (better than it's been placing in these threads), so maybe they discounted it fairly rapidly after launch.

I seem to remember Shining Ark for PSP charting really well this time last year but not showing up in any Media Create/Famitsu threads, so yeah, I'm guessing Tales/One Piece are heavily discounted by COMG. Wonder if any other retailers will too.

Nova has been charting alright-ish in COMG for a while (better than it's been placing in these threads), so maybe they discounted it fairly rapidly after launch.

Discounted or not, One Piece was present in the last Famitsu chart, so it might appear in the new one as well. Nova left the chart the same week.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 1 2015 {2014.12.29 - 2015.01.04}

01./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5)
02./05. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo)
03./04. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U <FTG> (Nintendo)
04./02. [3DS] Final Fantasy Explorers <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./03. [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
06./07. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Capcom)
07./06.[3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
08./08. [PSV] Gundam Breaker 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
09./09. [PS3] Gundam Breaker 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./10. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
11./17. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2015 (Konami)
12./16. [PS3] Shining Resonance <RPG> (Sega)
13./21. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games)
14./24. [PSV] Phantasy Star Nova <RPG> (Sega)
15./12. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke (Level 5)
16./18. [3DS] Gotouchi Tetsudou: Gotouchi Chara to Nihon Zenkoku no Tabi <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games)
17./23. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf <ETC> (Nintendo)
18./13. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind - Chain <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft)
19./14. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso (Level 5)
20./25. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo)

sure, COMG is a chainshop in Niigata prefecture iirc, around 20 shops are included, so if they make some promotions of course they might affect their weekly chart

It was just curious to see which games got heavily discounts.

You're right with Nova, I remember it charted in the middle of the chart in the previous weeks but never appeared in Fami/M-C charts

Oh, Tsutaya also shows a rise for Nova, so probably now it's discounted everywhere. Maybe it will have a collapsed price as used copy, just like it's happening now to Freedom Wars, less than 1,000yen, not a common price for Vita used games.

L~A

Unless I read the number wrong, the Youkai Watch movie has already made 5 424 234 000 Yen since Dec. 20, with 4,913,787 tickets sold. A record, from the looks of it.

Source

u_neek

Dragon Quest Heroes is slowly rising on Comgnet's preorder charts.

[PS3]&#12489;&#12521;&#12468;&#12531;&#12463;&#12456;&#12473;&#12488;&#12498;&#12540;&#12525;&#12540;&#12474;&#12288;&#38343;&#31452;&#12392;&#19990;&#30028;&#27193;&#12398;&#22478; - 85pt
[PS4]&#12489;&#12521;&#12468;&#12531;&#12463;&#12456;&#12473;&#12488;&#12498;&#12540;&#12525;&#12540;&#12474;&#12288;&#38343;&#31452;&#12392;&#19990;&#30028;&#27193;&#12398;&#22478; - 58pt

Anybody know how it's doing in comparison with other DQ spin-offs (or other high profile Musou titles for that matter)?

Takao

Banned
Moor, in a holiday season that had Phantasy Star No Sales, Taiko Bomba Master U 2, Hero Robbed The Bank 2, and a massive decline for Metal Gear Co.'s other series, I'm not sure a port of a port really registers in comparison.

Moor, in a holiday season that had Phantasy Star No Sales, Taiko Bomba Master U 2, Hero Robbed The Bank 2, and a massive decline for Metal Gear Co.'s other series, I'm not sure a port of a port really registers in comparison.

Retailers surely expected more.

Takao

Banned
I'm sure D3 expected more too. Moor said it was probably one of the bigger flops of this holiday season. I'm just saying that Holiday 2014 had a handful, all of which are probably bigger than a port of a port. ; )

mJxxQil.png

Legend of Legacy seems to be doing well. I'm pleased for it. The more I see of it; the better it looks.

Whether it's going to get localized is a whole other kettle of fish though. FuRyu don't seem particularly keen about shopping their games overseas.

L~A

Whether it's going to get localized is a whole other kettle of fish though. FuRyu don't seem particularly keen about shopping their games overseas.

I think it's western publishers not keen on localising FuRyu games, rather than FuRyu not willing to let publishers localise their games.

I mean, most of their stuff is licenced stuff. Their non-licenced either games did terribad in the West (UnchainBlades) or is not too appealing (eXstetra turned out to be pretty average).

Legend of Legacy is a bit special, because not only it looks really great, but it's also a brand new IP. Add to that the Sa-Ga aspects and nostalgia effects...

I dunno, it could go either way, but I think a little bit of optism is ok. Especially if the game sells well in Japan, though it's way too early to say for the moment.

I mean, most of their stuff is licenced stuff. Their non-licenced either games did terribad in the West (UnchainBlades) or is not too appealing (eXstetra turned out to be pretty average).

I seemed to remember XSEED sayings somewhere that they had a problem getting FuRyu to code in the translation for Unchained Blades after it was finished, which is why the PSP version released so much earlier than the 3DS version.

Though I can't find where I read that anymore.

We'll have to see. At least the Japanese sales are looking like they're going to be pretty good.

why you forgot Sonic Boomba??

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Dragon Quest V on Android has FINALLY crossed 50,000 downloads on Android.

I'll post a better detailed analysis of amount of downloads / grossing later.

so we don't have to consider Sonic Boom a flop just because some other previous titles didn't chart ?

It is. No one was expecting much more, though; all Sonic games of the previous 13 years sold really, really bad. The games Takao mentioned all had higher expectations, given the shipment or previous entries.

Takao

Banned
Sonic Boomba is better suited for an NPD, PAL or whichever part of the world that cares about that property.

It does surprise me that Sega goes through proper localizations for the Japanese market. No one has cared for a long time.

Vena

Sonic Boomba is better suited for an NPD, PAL or whichever part of the world that cares about that property.

It does surprise me that Sega goes through proper localizations for the Japanese market. No one has cared for a long time.

I don't think many worldwide care about Sonic in general at this point... at least not from SEGA.

Yes we understand, Sonic games are flops, the latest addition to this line of Bombas being Sonic Bomba for WiiU/3DS.

Preorder of DQH are good,there are still two months to release

Are they? How does it fare against something like DQM or One Piece Musou?

Does anyone have any thoughts/know what's going to happen with tracking the Dragon Quest Heroes voucher sales?

Previously when consoles have released with vouchers for games, at the very least Famitsu have tracked these as physical sales.

They didn't do that for DQH vouchers, presumably because it's not redeemable yet. Are they going to count them with the FW sales with the game actually releases? Or just whack them in with digital sales in the monthly charts?

It's an odd situation.

it's pretty crazy that yw is the first new IP this gen that has really taken advantage of the 3ds, for the most part the handheld has been sold thanks to sequels, sure there are plenty of new IPs that have sold 100k or more, but there's a lack of huge selling ones, even say 500k+

they've managed to squeeze out 3 yw games, and we're about to move on the next generation, gonna be interesting what L5 does, but i imagine they'll do something similar to what i've talked about in regards to what capcom will do for mh.

Does anyone have any thoughts/know what's going to happen with tracking the Dragon Quest Heroes voucher sales?

Previously when consoles have released with vouchers for games, at the very least Famitsu have tracked these as physical sales.

They didn't do that for DQH vouchers, presumably because it's not redeemable yet. Are they going to count them with the FW sales with the game actually releases? Or just whack them in with digital sales in the monthly charts?

It's an odd situation.
i think they'll count it as physical sales on release date, think of it more as a preorder as you can't download the game yet, which is the reason why they didn't release any sales number yet imo.

either way they'll be counted, if it's counted as digital, it just means we have to wait a little longer for the data.

Top Bottom