• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2014 (Feb 03 - Feb 09)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
True- I thought those titles also being available on PS360 as well as XB1 would lessen that impact. I think what happened is there was a definite market for a new system, and Sony has taken most of that market.
I feel the cross gen thing is much less of an impact on the basis that every owner of a 360/PS3 knows that they will eventually need a PS4/XB1 to keep playing new games and that they would be getting a large scale experience upgrade by buying the new boxes, even if the games were the same.

With the Wii U by comparison there was almost no upgrade and people knew it wouldn't run nextgen only games so having no core third party game exclusives was much more painful.

With the PS4 in Japan there is almost nothing to buy even if you wanted one, and the mid term outlook is super grim.

Like the ports which were supposed to do nothing on Vita due to everyone having psp or ps3 ?

Or more like people not buying ps4/xbone versions of games in west because they have previous gen machine ?

I'm expecting that x360 crowd and ps3 owners buying western games will be majority of early ps4 buyers
and we will see shift almost as fast as we see in USA/UK

Ok how many people is that?

The signs are there just like they were for the last couple of systems that it will underperform following launch. I don't see how bringing up irrelevant western sales changes that.

Metal Gear comes at the right time for ps4 (a few weeks from launch when the post release hype would be dying), but after that it gets scary. EDF and Guilty Gear are the only Japanese focused games and they both only have tentative "2014" dates. The only game that could be a surprising success is The Evil Within and that's if Bethesda can get the fact that its basically resident evil across.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think that the case with PS4 in the West is that the hardware sold the software, not the other way around. Of course, it helped that the bestseller had the best console version on PS4 (avoiding the non-incentive of the Wii U versions at launch) and so the early adopters had what to play. But I think the thirst for a new gaming console was quite big. The fact that PS4 has a lower software attach rate than XBone supports somehow my theory. It's the cool console to have, we'll see about the games later.

I think this doesn't apply for Japan to the same extent because there not enough Japan specific big seller and that hurts the coolness of the device, as you still need to use what you buy in order to enjoy it. But I'm curious to see if the hype for hardware is stronger than the lack of software.

Takao

Banned
Metal Gear comes at the right time for ps4 (a few weeks from launch when the post release hype would be dying), but after that it gets scary. EDF and Guilty Gear are the only Japanese focused games and they both only have tentative "2014" dates. The only game that could be a surprising success is The Evil Within and that's if Bethesda can get the fact that its basically resident evil across.

I highly doubt that a new EDF will come out this year for PS4.

Comgnet Doom Corner:

Donkey Kong ----- 81pt (?)

Mario 3D ----------- 164pt (99.588)
Pikmin ------------- 144pt (92.720)
Wii Party ----------- 74pt (37.371)
Dragon Quest ---- 35pt (33.302)
Zelda ---------------- 56pt (30.264)
Luigi ----------------- 33pt (24.881)
Wario --------------- 32pt (22.491)
Lego ----------------- 40pt (18.199)

Caveat about using comgnet etc etc...

If it falls in the realm of around a 40-50K opening, that's roughly around my (low) expectations - around a 70% decline or so from the last console entry.

saichi

I dunno about that, CoD/FIFA/Assassin's Creed/Battlefield/Madden (in America) is exactly what always tops the charts in the west anyway, and they were all there at the start or soon after
on the other hand, what's the best console sellers in Japan anyway? (...)

edit: isn't it like FFXIII, FFXIII-2, and MGS4 for top 3?

way off unless you are talking about PS3 only.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Speaking for Tropical Freeze legs (since DK is all about legs and first week doesn't matter) it's already outside amazon top 40. I can't imagine things are much better across the country, most retailers were talking for lack of preorders, hype and sales even comparing to Returns 3D.

ah this thread is back
these past few days have been great, FFXIII: LR bomba in PAL charts, DK bomba tomorrow, and both of them to suck in next week's PAL charts

king zell

l_53046f30c1696.jpg

Yo-kai Watch reached 500K Shipped

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201402/19048467.html

DrWong

The Bayonetta anime movie sold 2,480 copies in Japan. Bodes well for Bayonetta 2 ...

Bayonetta 2 to sell 2480 copies in Japan first week confirmed

Guys, this number is in line with BR weekly sales in Japan and even, more funny, with this number Bayo 2 anime is the Top 1 for the last week reporting... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-18/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-february-10-16

1 - Bayonetta: Bloody Fate Deluxe Special Edition 2,480

I don't think what the Bayonetta anime sold really has any bearing one way or the other on how many people are willing to essentially pay like ¥40K just to play the sequel.

DrWong

I don't think what the Bayonetta anime sold really has any bearing one way or the other on how many people are willing to essentially pay like ¥40K just to play the sequel.

And who is taking this comparison seriously? Who? Takao tried to be, let's say funny, and it was fun, but not for the reason he thought it was.

DKTF - 43,301 - Donkey Bomba, but as expected.

3DS - 41,012
Wii U - 8,706 - no hardware impact, also not really unexpected I guess.
Vita - 17,231

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's better than Wii Party..

That's.. something? :D

Hooooold.....

I can dig that.

3DS continues to plummet earthward.

It's definitely true that the 3DS has been performing much worse this year than last year, but I wouldn't call it "plummeting." At least it's practically single-handedly keeping the Japanese hardware market on life support right now.

I hope that the PS4 can shake things up a bit.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. I forgot just how much the 3DS dominated last year. When just looking at it compared to other hardware right now, it still looks like beast mode. Nintendo's in a really bad spot right now.

Top Bottom