• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2017 (Feb 06 - Feb 12)

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 7, 2017 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

01./02. [PS4] Nioh <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
02./00. [PS4] For Honor <ACT> (Ubisoft)
03./05. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
04./08. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./04. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./06. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
07./09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
08./00. [PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit <SLG> (Koei Tecmo)
09./12. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
10./00. [PS4] Digimon World: Next Order - International Edition <RPG> (Bandai Namco)
11./03. [PS4] Resident Evil VII: biohazard (Grotesque Ver.) <ADV> (Capcom)
12./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
13./11. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
14./15. [PSV] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
15./13. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo)
16./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
17./20. [PS4] Battlefield 1 <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
18./00. [PSV] Kamaitachi no Yoru: Rinne Saisei <ADV> (5pb.)
19./17. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
20./21. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 7, 2017 (Feb 13 - Feb 19)

01./01. [PS4] Nier: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./02. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
03./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)
04./06. [PS4] Super Robot Wars V <SLG> (Bandai Namco)
05./04. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
06./07. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn <RPG> (Sony Interactive)
07./08. [PSV] Super Robot Wars V <SLG> (Bandai Namco)
08./09. [PS4] Super Robot Wars V (Premium Anime Song and Sound Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco)
09./10. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <TBL> (Nintendo)
10./11. [PS4] Super Robot Wars V (Premium Anime Song and Sound Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 6, 2017 (Feb 06 - Feb 12)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Oregano

I think you have way too high expectations for the Switch 3rd party launch games. I'd also add that Zelda and 1,2 Switch are far more important to the system's health in Japan than DQ Heroes. Just take the Wii U launch- Monster Hunter was a high profile 3rd party launch game that had a nice start. And it was essentially the first and only one since the system cratered almost from the start.

Right but that's Switch's problem. 3DS had Street Fighter and Samurai Warriors Chronicles give good performances up front(and Layton even if it was a disappointment in the end). As you say even Wii U at least had Monster Hunter.

The danger is that the Wii U shows that Nintendo games can still sell relatively well on a failure of a console. It needs a healthy ecosystem to actually thrive.

DQ heroes switch is being sold at a pretty obscene price is it not? So even if sales aint great it could still bring in a decent chunk of revenue and there's obviously the opportunity to reduce price later on to give it some legs if they want

It is and it also looks like they're pretty bad ports.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Right but that's Switch's problem. 3DS had Street Fighter and Samurai Warriors Chronicles give good performances up front(and Layton even if it was a disappointment in the end). As you say even Wii U at least had Monster Hunter.

The danger is that the Wii U shows that Nintendo games can still sell relatively well on a failure of a console. It needs a healthy ecosystem to actually thrive.

Ok. I'll reiterate I think you are vastly overestimating how well the 3rd party games should do, and vastly underestimating how important Zelda and 1,2 Switch succeeding would be long term.

If you want to use Comgnet to make pre-judgements on launch, then Switch is about to have the best launch week software total since at least the Wii I believe. But I doubt that's the point you're trying to make.

Oregano

Ok. I'll reiterate I think you are vastly overestimating how well the 3rd party games should do, and vastly underestimating how important Zelda and 1,2 Switch succeeding would be long term.

If you want to use Comgnet to make pre-judgements on launch, then Switch is about to have the best launch week software total since at least the Wii I believe. But I doubt that's the point you're trying to make.

In the long run that won't matter though if/when the only two games to sell are both Nintendo games. No one wants a Nintendo-only system like the Wii U.

Sandfox

In the long run that won't matter though if/when the only two games to sell are both Nintendo games. No one wants a Nintendo-only system like the Wii U.

I don't think games like DQH, Bomberman or D5 are good evidence for anything in the long run.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Ok, clearly this is not a productive conversation.

The problem I think you are missing is it doesn't matter whether the launch 3rd parties do well or not in regards to 3rd party support. If games are coming, they are already in development and will determine support. For example, whatever releases Capcom will determine what they do not what Bomberman sells. If there is nothing in development, the Switch is already screwed.

Oregano

I don't think games like DQH, Bomberman or D5 are good evidence for anything in the long run.

Ok, clearly this is not a productive conversation.

I mean I think everyone can at least agree that its not a good thing that the current third party slate is going to perform very poorly?

The problem I think you are missing is it doesn't matter whether the launch 3rd parties do well or not in regards to 3rd party support. If games are coming, they are already in development and will determine support. For example, whatever releases Capcom will determine what they do not what Bomberman sells. If there is nothing in development, the Switch is already screwed.

But games can always be delayed/cancelled/moved to other platforms. There's no third party that is going to do good numbers any time soon and that will negatively influence confidence in the system.

Also yikes if Capcom bases their support on how a SNES port does!

horuhe

Switch is getting more space at stores as we reach its release day. Even though Zelda is the most pre-ordered game, 1-2-Switch is literally being the star game shown at almost every store. Santy Shop had new posters and at Joshin the space was bigger than last week.
IKFskUy.jpg

ZZ0x3di.jpg

smHL5HF.jpg

Monster Hunter reservations have increased during this week. Joshin has this fun ad at the AEON Mall.

Senran Kagura has some promotion at Sofmap.

Resident Evil is already seing discounts, and talking about discounts... Look at those Yo-Kai Watch and Moster Hunter prices!

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 7 2017

01./00. [PS4] For Honor <ACT> (Ubisoft)
02./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./02. [PS4] Nioh <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
04./04. [PS4] Resident Evil VII: biohazard (Grotesque Ver.) <ADV> (Capcom)
05./00. [PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit <SLG> (Koei Tecmo)
06./00. [PS4] Digimon World: Next Order - International Edition <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)

07./08. [3DS] Pokemon Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
08./00. [PSV] Kamaitachi no Yoru: Rinne Saisei <ADV> (5pb.)
09./05. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5)
10./09. [3DS] Pokemon Sun <RPG> (Pokemon Co.)
11./06. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World <ACT> (Nintendo)
12./07. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./03. [PS4] Yonmegami Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune <RPG> (Compile Heart)
14./12. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
15./15. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
16./11. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)
17./17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
18./10. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
19./13. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo)
20./00. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: Lost Eden <ADV> (Idea Factory)

Mory Dunz

But games can always be delayed/cancelled/moved to other platforms. There's no third party that is going to do good numbers any time soon and that will negatively influence confidence in the system.

Also yikes if Capcom bases their support on how a SNES port does!

You think hypothetical notable third party games already in development will get cancelled, moved or delayed based on how stuff like bomberman, sfII perform??

yea, no

If DQ11 and MH5 bombed, sure.

edit
1-2 switch is my candidate for surprising legs this year.

random25

I feel like 1-2-Switch will really do well in Japan considering the nature of the game. Didn't Wii Party U sold pretty good there?

jnWake

So one final update on individual day performance for Fire Emblem and Dissidia barring some huge performance jump like hitting #1, but Fire Emblem is at #4, and Dissidia has been hovering around 20, so I think the longer term performance horizons for both of those games look positive.

While a lot has been said about Fire Emblem, Square Enix especially needed another hit in mobile. It had been around a year since they had a new one, and it was about time for them to reassert that they could continue to generate new successes on mobile.

How is the competition between the Square gacha games? If I'm correct they currently have 3 FF branded gacha games. Isn't that overkill?

random25

I thought it was bundled up the butt though

It was bundled later I believe, but it launched as a standalone title that sold like 70k units on its first week. It continued to sell pretty well since then, and may have reached more than half a million by now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How is the competition between the Square gacha games? If I'm correct they currently have 3 FF branded gacha games. Isn't that overkill?

They actually have more than three, and there is assuredly at least some degree to which they're cannibalizing each other. However, there a few important factors for why they do this.

1.) It's much better to cannibalizing yourself than for other companies to do so. If your oldest mobile games are not up to par anymore, you want your customers to transfer to a newer game from your company, instead of from another company.

2.) A lot of people play a mobile game for a while and then quit it when they feel it's not offering them anything new. Some of those people are gotten back through updates and reacquisition campaigns, but for many, you're only going to get them with a new game.

3.) In kind of a combination of the above two points, each successive game tends to target a different audience, or even just changing tastes among their existing audience. They're not just putting out the same games with better graphics, they're making fundamentally different products.

For example, this is Final Fantasy Record Keeper:

And this is Dissidia Opera Omnia:

It's a huge difference in style, with Record Keeper is targeting an audience more tied to the 16 bit games, while Dissidia is targeting a more modern Final Fantasy audience.

This is before we even get to factors like Record Keeper being about playing through the plot of existing games while Dissidia is an original story with cutscenes.

Similarly, Brave Exvius is more like if there was a 2D PS1 era for the series, among some other differentiation factors, and Final Fantasy Grandmasters is an approximation of an actual MMO.

4.) There is an extent to which they want Record Keeper fans to move on to other games because DeNA gets a good cut of the Record Keeper pie. I think this is the smallest factor, but I feel I should mention that since it's the oldest game.

---

We actually do see a bit of this distinction with Dragon Quest as well. There's a game for regular Dragon Quest fans (Dragon Quest of the Stars) and one for Dragon Quest Monsters fans (Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light). It's just that Final Fantasy has way more sub-audiences to work with, and is generally the series they experiment with the most.

That said, they have been putting out less of them lately. Samurai Rising is clearly a Final Fantasy game, but it's not branded as such. Neither was Justice Monsters V. I think there's an extent to which they want to balancing reaching all their fans with the risk of oversaturating the market. However, most of their new brands haven't done so hot lately, so I'm curious to see how they respond.

noobie

Banned
Are the good reviews of horizon going to make an impact in Japan and pushing the first week sales in the territory of 100k rather then expected based on current preorder of 50k?

Have we got famitsu review of horizon?

Orgen

Are the good reviews of horizon going to make an impact in Japan and pushing the first week sales in the territory of 100k rather then expected based on current preorder of 50k?

Didn't Bayonetta get a 40/40 from Famitsu? And it didn't affect the sales of the game so no, I don't think reviews will make Horizon sell more (at least not on FW).

And I see that Oregano is full on hyperbole again... let's see if you keep your speech next year ;D

Word of mouth seems to be alot more important than reviews in Japan.

dracula_x

Probably the closest thing to compare it to would be Witcher 3:

[PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2015.05.21} (¥8.856) - 67.385 / NEW <91,97%> [Units shipped => 73.270]

hiska-kun

The blog is leaking/sharing some information about the Switch. But not sure if this is pre-order status or pre-orders share, or pre-orders based on total shipment or what. For the moment let's share it.

[NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 70%
[NSW] 1-2-Switch - 10%
[NSW] Bomberman R - 20%

Wall

[WIU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 20%
[NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 - 20%
[NSW] PuyoPuyo Tetris - 10%
[NSW] Disgaea 5 - 10%

Wall

[NSW] I am Setsuna - 0%
[NSW] Nobunaga's Ambition - 0%

_____

This is exaclty how he wrote it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The blog is leaking/sharing some information about the Switch. But not sure if this is pre-order status or pre-orders share, or pre-orders based on total shipment or what. For the moment let's share it.

[NSW] 1-2-Switch - 10%
[NSW] Bomberman R - 20%

Wall

[NSW] Disgaea 5 - 10%

Wall

[NSW] I am Setsuna - 0%

_____

Did he post anything else, I mean an explanation of sorts in Japanese. Also, everything seems to be in decreasing order of preorders, so 1-2 Switch at 10% looks...strange as hell, whatever it means, especially looking at how it's doing on both Comgnet and Amazon.co.jp. Is that correct?

hiska-kun

Did he post anything else, I mean an explanation of sorts in Japanese. Also, everything seems to be in decreasing order of preorders, so 1-2 Switch at 10% looks...strange as hell, whatever it means, especially looking at how it's doing on both Comgnet and Amazon.co.jp. Is that correct?

The title is:

Switch Title+1

That's all he wrote.

Numbers are correct, 1-2-Switch is just 10% but it's above the rest. So probably means that even 10% is higher than the others.

Maybe these are shipment and pre-orders and 1-2-Switch shipment is going to be huge?

Mario007

This would probably be the first instance of Square Enix digging up a dead/mostly-dead Japanese IP and making it successful again since... Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? Am I forgetting anything? Either way, it's good sign for them to get at least one positive performer out of their revival initiative.

So one final update on individual day performance for Fire Emblem and Dissidia barring some huge performance jump like hitting #1, but Fire Emblem is at #4, and Dissidia has been hovering around 20, so I think the longer term performance horizons for both of those games look positive.

While a lot has been said about Fire Emblem, Square Enix especially needed another hit in mobile. It had been around a year since they had a new one, and it was about time for them to reassert that they could continue to generate new successes on mobile.
To be fair with Nier it seems like they actually gave it appropriate budget and made smart decisions with its development...and what do you know that seems to have worked. Hope Square learns from it.

Mpl90

The title is:

Switch Title+1

That's all he wrote.

Numbers are correct, 1-2-Switch is just 10% but it's above the rest. So probably means that even 10% is higher than the others.

Maybe these are shipment and pre-orders and 1-2-Switch shipment is going to be huge?

That could make sense, given the context.
So...I wonder if 1 2 Switch's first shipment is actually bigger than Zelda's (of course, that would mean they're betting on very good mid-term, steady sales).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

[NSW] 1-2-Switch - 10%
[NSW] Bomberman R - 20%

Wall

[NSW] Disgaea 5 - 10%

Wall

[NSW] I am Setsuna - 0%

_____

Games are at order of decreasing numbers for preorders There are 3 groups 1 >> 2 >> 3.

% represents the current ratio of preorders comparing to the estimated initial shipment for each of them. Apparently Bomberman is the clear winner after Nintendo's top 2 and I am Setsuna with Nobunaga's Ambition will have almost zero shipment looking at preorders.

hiska-kun

Yeah, I think he is refering to the pre-order / first shipment ratio. So, Zelda's pre-orders are around 70% with still more than one week left. Probably stock problems for this one might happen at launch.

1-2-Switch pre-orders seem low compared to shipment, but since it's a casual game pre-orders aren't that important. Also, note that the blogger always goes from the highest units to the lowest, so even with just 10% covered, numbers are higher than the games below.

Also, note the "Wall" thing between some games. I think he is refering that there's a huge difference on the numbers between the games. After Bomberman numbers are much lower, and after Disgaea again much more lower.

Yeah, I think he is refering to the pre-order / first shipment ratio. So, Zelda's pre-orders are around 70% with still more than one week left. Probably stock problems for this one might happen at launch.

1-2-Switch pre-orders seem low compared to shipment, but since it's a casual game pre-orders aren't that important. Also, note that the blogger always goes from the highest units to the lowest, so even with just 10% covered, numbers are higher than the games below.

Also, note the "Wall" thing between some games. I think he is refering that there's a huge difference on the numbers between the games. After Bomberman numbers are much lower, and after Disgaea again much more lower.

So 1 2 switch will likely be getting a much bigger shipment than zelda, kinda surprised

Fisico

So how low can 1 2 Switch preorder be? 20k-30k?

If so it would mean a shipment around 200-300k.

It also means that Bomberman is <20k preorders and <100k shipment, and BotW Wii U way below 100k

That would be... good numbers for Switch titles? (beware of overshipping though)

Hellraider

To be fair with Nier it seems like they actually gave it appropriate budget and made smart decisions with its development...and what do you know that seems to have worked. Hope Square learns from it.

Watch Nier 3 having 1/3 of the budget and 80% recycled content.

So how low can 1 2 Switch preorder be? 20k-30k?

If so it would mean a shipment around 200-300k.

It also means that Bomberman is <20k preorders and <100k shipment.

That would be... good numbers? (beware of overshipping though)

Guestimating from comgnet i would have put 12 switch nearer to 100k but that cant be surely

Mpl90

I'm actually wondering what kind of shipments Bomberman and DQH have. Bomberman is in the first tier, alongside games like Zelda and 1-2 Switch, and not included in the second tier, and better than Zelda: Botw Wii U, so...Bomberman's first shipment well over 100,000?

Fisico

Guestimating from comgnet i would have put 12 switch nearer to 100k but that cant be surely

I remember reading someone that said at Comgnet you had to preorder 1 2 Switch when preordering a Switch so the ratio is completely flawed there.

@Mpl90 : I don't think we should expect much of BotW Wii U, but yeah Bomberman seems poised for a big shipment.

hiska-kun

1-2-Switch and Zelda shipments probably will be the same or almost the same of Switch hardware shipment FW. Over 300k then.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sinobi said Switch initial shipment increased and is much higher than what he was expecting. Unless he had very low expectations, and looking and previous Nintendo and Sony system launches, it could be closer to 400k than 300k.

I remember reading someone that said at Comgnet you had to preorder 1 2 Switch when preordering a Switch so the ratio is completely flawed there.

@Mpl90 : I don't think we should expect much of BotW Wii U, but yeah Bomberman seems poised for a big shipment.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that apply to quite a lot of retailers?

I'm actually wondering what kind of shipments Bomberman and DQH have. Bomberman is in the first tier, alongside games like Zelda and 1-2 Switch, and not included in the second tier, and better than Zelda: Botw Wii U, so...Bomberman's first shipment well over 100,000?

I could easily see bomberman having a 100k shipment, its perfectly poised as the title that when someone goes to pick their preordered switch and zelda they'll think "i could do with an extra for my shiny new console" and there's bomberman, DQheroes likely wont get those kind of extra sales due to its high price i reckon

noshten

I'm thinking in terms of the initial shipment size that it's actually bigger than anticipated for Switch 1 2. The game could have a comparable shipment to Zelda and that's the reason why one of the two games are "bundled" by COMG.

Zelda - 300-400k
Switch 1/2 - 300-400k
Bomberman R - 150-200k

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 100k
Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 - 100k
PuyoPuyo Tetris - 100k
Disgaea 5 - 75k

I am Setsuna - 50k
Nobunaga's Ambition - 50k

I'm thinking in terms of the initial shipment size that it's actually bigger than anticipated for Switch 1 2. The game could have a comparable shipment to Zelda and that's the reason why one of the two games are "bundled" by COMG.

Zelda - 300-400k
Switch 1/2 - 300-400k
Bomberman R - 150-200k

PuyoPuyo Tetris - 100k
Disgaea 5 - 75k

I am Setsuna - 50k

They aint gonna ship 100k copies of poyo poyo tetris, even half that would be pretty extreme

Fisico

Zelda - 300-400k
Switch 1/2 - 300-400k
Bomberman R - 150-200k

PuyoPuyo Tetris - 100k
Disgaea 5 - 75k

I am Setsuna - 50k

Except for Tier 1 maybe your predictions are way too optimistic.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Looking at current preorders Breath of the Wild will face supply problems unless Nintendo has a high Zelda:Switch ratio.

casiopao

Looking at current preorders Breath of the Wild will face supply problems unless Nintendo has a high Zelda:Switch ratio.

I don't think Ninty will allow Zelda to had supply problems right? Especially when that is essentially their biggest title right now.

...... Unless retailers is the one not ordering so much here.

Top Bottom