• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2013 (Feb 25 - Mar 03)

Even if Monster Hunter 4 could replicate the amazing performance of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd which is extremely unlikely, that wouldn't be enough at all to outsell Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Animal Crossing: New Leaf looks poised to even cross the 6 million mark when all is said and done, over 5 million is already a lock.

Regarding Dragon Quest XI, not even Dragon Quest IX could reach 4.5 million units.
Unlikely? After MH3G which is looking like it'll sell 2M? If AC manages to stay on top, its most likely to it being released earlier than MH4, it should perform in similar fashion.

nickcv

wow at the PSV!

YVROY0c.png

kPGVpqZ.png

------

O1el6Yu.png

5Nm1iC3.png

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Im not very optimistic on Soul Sacrifice, but who knows.

There is a hardware bundle right? Any shipment numbers?

Spiegel

Those are some disappointing Vita sales.

I see it doing sub 20k the week after Soul Sacrifice and 10-15k at the end of the month.

My bet

62k -> 33k (Soul Sacrifice bundle) -> 18k -> 20k (One Piece) -> 14k

Fabrik

Banned
We'll see if Vita keeps this kind of sales next week but I doubt it. After Soul Sacrifice there's nothing on the horizon.

First week this happened too afaik.

How long did it take for 3DS and Vita by comparison?

Dont think it ever happened to 3DS. Happened in week 2 for Vita lol

I wonder if Animal Crossing's 3DS rise bodes well for Tomodachi Collection? Think we might see a similar increase?

I think they're releasing way too close for them to become sustainable evergreens together and TC will end up getting the short stick

zroid

Banned
I wonder if Animal Crossing's 3DS rise bodes well for Tomodachi Collection? Think we might see a similar increase?

I just hope it doesn't get overshadowed if there's too much audience overlap. TC could be a monster in its own right, if given the chance.

Nibel

Even if Monster Hunter 4 could replicate the amazing performance of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd which is extremely unlikely

Are you really sure about that statement? MH4 is a big new mainline entry while MH3G was a slightly updated version of the Wii game - added that Capcom will put a shitload of money into marketing and boom

Famitsu

{05/06/2008} Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit [PS3] - 82,010 / 163,010
{05/06/2008} Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit [360] - 13,233 / 25,051
{18/09/2008} Dragon Ball: Origins [DS] - 88,439 / 214,195
{04/12/2008} Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World [PS2] - 64,517 / 199,996
{19/03/2009} Dragon Ball: Evolution [PSP] - _ / 7,513
{29/04/2009} Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans [DS] - 101,216 / 192,200
{23/07/2009} Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo [Wii] - 11,359 / 44,160
{12/11/2009} Dragon Ball: Raging Blast [PS3] - 63,641 / 129,688
{12/11/2009} Dragon Ball: Raging Blast [360] - 6,943 / 10,816
{11/02/2010} Dragon Ball: Origins 2 [DS] - 19,471 / 66,767
{25/02/2010} Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Minna no Susume Selection) [Wii] - _ / 43,150
{30/09/2010} Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team [PSP] - 20,865 / 56,094
{11/11/2010} Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 [PS3] - 54,214 / 92,760
{11/11/2010} Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 [360] - 2,608 / 5,688
{03/02/2011} Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden [DS] - 29,732 / 89,911
{08/12/2011} Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi [PS3] - 44,507 / 64,133
{08/12/2011} Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi [360] - 1,394 / _
{28/02/2013} Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission [3DS] - 90,119

This is why I said in the other thread that DBH's debut is way too high. It's the best debut for a Dragon Ball game since 4 years ago, and the second best debut in the last 5 years. With a card game going at 18fps. Lol.

Wowzers!

The game I couldn't give two shits about, but the success IS a great sign of more DB games headed to the 3DS, I'd be very concerned if it bombed!

Bandai Namco have WON the anime/licensed market on 3DS, ranging to pretty good to outstanding.

Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode is next to see, could very well beat the PSP original.

One Piece did like 300k on 3DS right? Why have we not seen more? I know they're focused on Pirate Warriors, but get Ganbarion on a new 3DS entry (hell, what ARE they up to?).

Its pretty funny people lined up for Vita just for it to sell 60k, when 3DS sells more than that every week.

Dont think it ever happened to 3DS. Happened in week 2 for Vita lol
Nope, its happened before.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07).

3DS wasn't doing really well during the first half of its first year.

I think they're releasing way too close for them to become sustainable evergreens together and TC will end up getting the short stick
AC will help Tomodachi, but more because its selling systems to people. We won't see AC redux, but I'm betting it'll live up to its predecessor.

Well, RER should be interesting in that it's the first day-and-date multiplatform release for Japan afaik (overloooking the fact it's a 3DS port). I wouldn't expect much though, probably slightly better than 360 sales / a small fraction of PS3 sales.
I agree, but have to admit I would not be surprised if Wii U Version will do more than just slightly better than 360 sales of the game.

Game & Wario might surprise though. It's not exactly WarioWare, but that's still probably the closest link and that series has done fairly well on consoles before (400k GC, 650k Wii).
then I guess we could consider this game as their next big release in Japan.

Sephzilla

The Revengeance numbers are expected, but still impressive. Glad to see it's selling well, the game really deserves it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
After literally going over 3 months without a truly significant release, Nintendo has arguably 2 coming in a span of 2 days at the very end of March- and then absolutely nothing for April and early May- which is when you presumably would want to release significant games.

I don't get it.

People lined up for the limited edition of Senran Kagura
Really? I didn't know niche otaku games had lines.

After literally going over 3 months without a truly significant release, Nintendo has arguably 2 coming in a span of 2 days at the very end of March- and then absolutely nothing for April and early May- which is when you presumably would want to release significant games.

I don't get it.
HD development hell, over confidence on NL and NSMBW U and maybe a strategic move to bring the big guns when PS4/Durango releases at the end of the year.

Otherwise there's absolutely no reason why Nintendo couldn't get something ready for GW, they never pass that opportunity.

saichi

Nice numbers for the Vita, next week should stay in that range with Soul Sacrifice coming out today.

good luck.

Well to be fair, 3DS only has 1 (maybe 2) high profile games for March with SRWUX and possibly Luigi's Mansion 2. MH4 would have destroyed this month but that obviously got delayed.

Why is the better selling game the lower profile one? :(

Besides, it's Year of Luigi!

Looking at the sales data, they haven't had a real big seller for quite a while. I guess they could go selling ~200-400k LTD for their titles but it doesn't look like anything will break the 500k barrier. Maybe Ni No Kuni 2?

you are joking, right?

I wonder is the Vita will outsell the 3DS next week? Also, Layton's numbers are a bit disappointing. I expected +200k .

what would make VITA outsell 3DS next week?

I don't get it.

I wouldn't give up completely on Wii Fit U being Golden Week, but if they can't even get Wii Fit out in a reasonable time frame I will have large doubts about Mario Kart and 3D Mario making it out this year.

94k in the first week is not niche. It's 15k more than Xenoblade did

I wouldn't call Xenoblade a hit either. Considering what SK is though, it's not niche at all.

I'd say Xenoblade is also niche. Anyway I thought that was for the Vita price drop, you hardly hear lineups for any game, let alone lines for 100k sellers.

THere were Love Plus 3DS lines, so I guess we know that the creeps will line up.

test_account

XP-39C²
While we don´t know what the production costs really are for both systems it doesn´t matter that much, after more than a year they could and possibly have been reduced. What I mean is they should have been a little bit more agressive because we and also Sony know by now what PSV has been doing, what the support from 3rd party publisher looks like and how the competition looks like. Also regardless of production costs it seems arrogant to offer PSV at a higher price, when than the market leaders premium model is offered. They should have gone at least for price parity. Yes, it´s just a difference of 1.000 yen and likely wouldn´t have had a huge impact but the gesture of pricing the system higher than the clear market leader is out of place in my opinion and also a bit stupid because it would have been just a baby-step to reach complete price-parity.
The production costs play a big role into how big of a pricedrop they can do. You're right that we dont know the production costs, but i think it is a safe bet to say that the Vita is more expencive to produce. Not just because of the more powerful hardware specs itself, but the Vita is also being produced in a smaller scale (at least i cant imagine that the Vita hardware production is at full speed concidering the slow sales worldwide). It is for example very doubtful in my opinion that Nintendo would have done a 10k yen pricedrop if the 3DS production costs were much higher. But since we dont know the exact production costs, this is just speculation indeed, but the production cost is an important thing when pricedrops are concidered.

I see your point about being more agressive, and i agree that this can be a good thing indeed, but it comes down to how much losses they are willing to take. It is a bigger gamble the more losses they have on each unit.

I dont think that it is arrogant at all. In that case you can say that it is arrogant of Nintendo to not match the WiiU Basic Set price compared to the PS3. The difference between those system is also about 1000 yen (the PS3 is 1270 yen cheaper than the WiiU Basic Set to be exact). I dont think that this is arrogant of Nintendo at all. They try to price the systems as low as possible. Dropping the price with another 1000 yen means less income. Its the same of every company, inlcuding Sony with the Vita.

(Not that important, but i just want to say that i dont concider the 3DS XL to be a premium model because it has the exact same features as the 3DS, the only difference is the bigger screens).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet comparisons - Updated to March 6th, 2013

[PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva f - 171pt
[PS3] Hatsune Miku Project Diva F - 177pt

[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou - 360pt + 38pt(collector) = 398pt
[PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 7 - 108pt
[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 - 135pt

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - 196pt
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix - 121pt

[NDS] Super Robot Wars W - 150pt
[NDS] Super Robot Wars K - 153pt
[NDS] Super Robot Wars L - 143pt
[3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D - 42pt
[3DS] Super Robot Wars UX - 99pt

[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 100pt
[3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising - 32pt
[3DS] Luigi's Manson 2 - 75pt

[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 66pt
[PSV] Tales of Hearts R - 56pt

Comgnet comparisons - Updated to March 6th, 2013

[PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva f - 171pt
[PS3] Hatsune Miku Project Diva F - 177pt

[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou - 360pt + 38pt(collector) = 398pt
[PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 7 - 108pt
[PS3] One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2 - 135pt

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - 196pt
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix - 121pt

[NDS] Super Robot Wars W - 150pt
[NDS] Super Robot Wars K - 153pt
[NDS] Super Robot Wars L - 143pt
[3DS] SD Gundam G Generation 3D - 42pt
[3DS] Super Robot Wars UX - 99pt

[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 100pt
[3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising - 32pt
[3DS] Luigi's Manson 2 - 75pt

[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 66pt
[PSV] Tales of Hearts R - 56p
t

I know I shouldn't read too much into this because of Comgnet but really?

Spiegel

I'd say Xenoblade is also niche. Anyway I thought that was for the Vita price drop, you hardly hear lineups for any game, let alone lines for 100k sellers.

Well, now you know that a set of pictures of a few people lining up in some stores means nothing. And happens a lot for limited editions.

Those vita numbers would be good if it was the 2nd week after the price drop, as is, it's not too impressive and doesn't really bode well for the future IMO.

I'm impressed with the PS3's HW boost though.

Those are some disappointing Vita sales.

I see it doing sub 20k the week after Soul Sacrifice and 10-15k at the end of the month.

My bet

62k -> 33k (Soul Sacrifice bundle) -> 18k -> 20k (One Piece) -> 14k

I see it 60k > 25K > 12K > 9.5K > 7K

I know I shouldn't read too much into this because of Comgnet but really?
Whats so surprising about that?

Well, now you know that a set of pictures of a few people lining up in some stores means nothing. And happens a lot for limited editions.
Yeah, I didn't know people lined up for limited editions.

Good god... now I remember why this thread is so depressing... people here are really negative as fuck. I mean, no ones doesn't really think that SS can be sucessfull and move Vita??
Can happen, but unlikely. Hopes and dreams is not something you should expect when it comes to Sales-Age.

Maedhros

Good god... now I remember why this thread is so depressing... people here are really negative as fuck. I mean, no ones doesn't really think that SS can be sucessfull and move Vita??

New Leaf is 20 weeks pace ahead of Wild World. Reeeaaally impressive.
For all intents and purposes do we count AC:NL as 3.4 million since we were given sales #s for the digital side at the start of the year. I know we normally don't factor dd sales because we usually have no idea but since we do have clear numbers, I think it would be relevant to include the numbers in our discussion.

PSP still has some significant games coming out for it this year, the PSP/PSV/WiiU YTD numbers are the new PS2/360 YTD numbers. Who's going to win out of that? Not too sure yet.

For all intents and purposes do we count AC:NL as 3.4 million since we were given sales #s for the digital side at the start of the year. I know we normally don't factor dd sales because we usually have no idea but since we do have clear numbers, I think it would be relevant to include the numbers in our discussion.
I think we should just discuss MC/Famitsu data, just so it doesn't complicate things. We can discuss digital sales when the trackers enter the digital era
lol

Sexy girls sells... not sex. There's 0 sex in Senran Kagura.
sexy girls > thoughts of sex > sales.

Essentially sex sells.

Those vita numbers would be good if it was the 2nd week after the price drop, as is, it's not too impressive and doesn't really bode well for the future IMO.

I'm impressed with the PS3's HW boost though.

I see it 60k > 25K > 12K > 9.5K > 7K

I don't see why it would drop lower than pre pricecut numbers, Vita has been 8-10k without releases recently.

I think more so its the fact that after SS, Vita will have no new major releases for a long time. Even if SS sells a lot there will be nothing to sustain its momentum.

I don't see why it would drop lower than pre pricecut numbers, Vita has been 8-10k without releases recently.
There were games to look forward to, after this onslaught of games for Vita, there's nothing to look forward to really. Consoles trend down with no releases naturally.

GC is a good example, price cuts only gave short term boosts, its baseline never improved despite lower price and bigger library of games.

It sold below those numbers a good amount of times. All JP centric games coming out for it are also going to be on PSP or PS3 and other exclusive games like Tearaway and Killzone are geared towards the west. SS doesn't seem like it will have the kind of impact needed to keep the platform numbers at a healthy level.

14./08. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 9.177 / 244.642 (+12%)

14./08. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 7.225 / 230.003 (+10%)

And it just keeps on going.

iTl0KKSqKdJx7.gif

It sold below those numbers a good amount of times. All JP centric games coming out for it are also going to be on PSP or PS3 and other exclusive games like Tearaway and Killzone are geared towards the west. SS doesn't seem like it will have the kind of impact needed to keep the platform numbers at a healthy level.

Yeah but it will not drop below pre price cut levels that fast.

wrowa

I know they haven't said anything, but I think one is being worked on.

Considering that both MHP3rd and MH3G had an HD re-release, I agree that it seems pretty likely. And why not? It's probably dirt cheap to produce.

I think Capcom's western branches in particular have an interest to see a console re-release of the handheld game, but whether they try to push for such a re-release is dependent on MH3G's US/EU sales, I'd assume.

olimpia84

Nice bump in sales for the Vita after the drop. I wonder how it's going to fare in the next few weeks though...you'd think a price drop will keep the weekly sales numbers up but we'll see.

Top Bottom