• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 9, 2016 (Feb 29 - Mar 06)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Around 8 weeks, more or less.
I know my prediction is lower than others, and have probably less chances of happening, but I just don't see it getting a million getting as quickly as former final fantasy games in Japan. The PS4 userbase is different than before, the series is in decline, and the hype is not that strong.
Again, I'm having really different expectations in Japan and the west for this game.

Naaaah, i have same prediction for west and japan.

The series is in decline and i don't see Final Fantasy XV sell much more than 5 million worlwide.

Vena

The PS4 userbase is different than before, the series is in decline, and the hype is not that strong.
Again, I'm having really different expectations in Japan and the west for this game.

I have about the same expectations in the west and in Japan. The series went too long without a main game, even longer without a good game, and the series just isn't "the venerable rpg" anymore.

Hard to imagine Persona 5 selling more than MGSV. MGSV was what, 500k total?

FFXV.. who knows lmao. I guess we'll find how how much cachet the FF brand still has in Japan. But I'd expect at least double Persona 5 sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It will easily sell/ship 5 million worldwide. But the rest depends on how well it is received and WOM.

Well, Final Fantasy XIII has sold 6.8 million worlwide. I think 5 million more or less is a fair estimate for Final Fantasy XV.

I think Vena already said what i think, and i also fell like the hype is not as big as for Final Fantasy XIII.

Well, Final Fantasy XIII has sold 6.8 million worlwide. I think 5 million more or less is a fair estimate for Final Fantasy XV.

I think Vena already said what i think, and i also fell like the hype is not as big as for Final Fantasy XIII.
Lol, what?

The hype has to start when marketing kicks off and it hasn't even kicked off yet :p

You remind me of the people who were saying The Division was DOA because of how there was no hype surrounding it and as we slowly grew closer to its launch, the hype started to build up and now it is the biggest new IP launch ahead of Destiny.

Just wait and see for the new uncovered FFXV event that will kickstart the marketing and the hype will slowly build leading into the game's launch.

A lot of people here are underestimating the appeal and brand of FF. Despite the bad WOM of FFXIII and the crap launch of XIV, the subsequent games have done well enough. ARR was a huge success for SE and that was despite its disaster launch. FFX|X-2 HD are one of the more successful remasters from SE. There is zero reason to assume that FFXV will suddenly become the lowest selling game in the series unless it has a terrible WOM/Reception.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
You remind me of the people who were saying The Division was DOA because of how there was no hype surrounding it and as we slowly grew closer to its launch, the hype started to build up and now it is the biggest new IP launch ahead of Destiny.

Crap. you win this round. :p
Guess we will see, but at least so far i think will do less than Final Fantasy XIII...

What you predict?

Mario007

I have about the same expectations in the west and in Japan. The series went too long without a main game, even longer without a good game, and the series just isn't "the venerable rpg" anymore.
There was a new mainline entry in 2013, which was received well critically and sold 5 million copies to date.

Seriously people underestimate the FF brand.If a relaunch of a failed MMO with the mainline number could sell 5 million units then FFXV will definitely surpas it.

Sandfox

Why are people using FFXIV as evidence that FFXV won't show any decline? That's not exactly an accurate comparison.

What you predict?
For what? Worldwide? I easily expect it to surpass 5 million sold/shipped. Honestly it wouldn't be hard.

As for the peak of sales? Hard to say. The best selling FF worldwide is FFVII and that took years to reach the current 11 million LTD. It is also a cult classic among fans.

Mario007

Why are people using FFXIV as evidence that FFXV won't show any decline? That's not exactly an accurate comparison.
Because an offline offshoot of a singleplayer game usually does much worse than its singleplayer original. The fact thag FFXIV got so many sales speaks to the strength of the brand and its quality (and dismisses the arguments that FF has no selling power or that the franchise is damanged because the last entry was of poor quality).

Unless the PS4 suddenly experiences a a cool ten (should probably be plural) or more thousand yen price drop, I don't think PSVR is going to be more than a blip on the radar with its price (which only get higher when you actually want it to work or have Move 2.0 controllers) for this generation of VR experiences.

I think it's pretty much given that we will see another price drop this fall for PS4 (from 35k to 30k yen). Nevertheless VR will be pretty expensive at least at first that is true.

Eolz

For what? Worldwide? I easily expect it to surpass 5 million sold/shipped. Honestly it wouldn't be hard.

As for the peak of sales? Hard to say. The best selling FF worldwide is FFVII and that took years to reach the current 11 million LTD. It is also a cult classic among fans.

So are you implying FFXV could go up to 11M sales WW?

Because an offline offshoot of a singleplayer game usually does much worse than its singleplayer original. The fact thag FFXIV got so many sales speaks to the strength of the brand and its quality (and dismisses the arguments that FF has no selling power or that the franchise is damanged because the last entry was of poor quality).

I don't know, I see FFXIV as a good MMO, not as a good FF. The brand power helped mainly way before ARR/2.0.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Can't really call FF VII a cult classic. It's too mainstream for that.

So are you implying FFXV could go up to 11M sales WW?
I am telling the peak of the series is around 11 million and that too was a cult classic and one-of-a-kind deal that I doubt will happen again.

I am not expecting Witcher 3 level of crazy sales either (10+ million) but that counted PC too. I was just clarifying the people who think FFXV will have a trouble clearing 5 million, since it won't have any issue doing it IMO.

So what is the peak of sales after 5 million? Like I said, even I have no prediction for it but I do expect it to sell more than 1.5 million in Japan alone.

Can't really call FF VII a cult classic. It's too mainstream for that.
Wrong choice of word, sorry. I meant it was the most popular FF and yeh, mainstream and all.

Unless it's a really badly received game (which would kill its potential legs), I also believe FFXV should have no problem selling 5 million copies worldwide. Even then, I don't think SE would be too happy with those numbers.

And this time Square most likely will launch a PC version much earlier when compared to XIII, so if the game gets good word of mouth, that will certainly help (assuming it's a good port btw).

Eolz

To clarify, while I don't think it'll do too well in Japan, I'm thinking 7M WW (let's say for the next two years, PS4+X1 only, no eventual PC/NX port included).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think 1.2 million or so is realistic. Those would still be super high numbers for a new console game in Japan these days.

I had about 1.05-1.10 in my mind for some reason.

1.2 would be great for a console game and I think people are generally excited for a single player FF game again.

Vena

If I recall, my expectations were for a difficult battle to be much more than 1m, so somewhere between 1-1.5m at best but definitely erring on the lower end so 1-1.2m, all sales accounted for, in Japan.

I don't see it doing >>5m WW LTD.

I think it's pretty much given that we will see another price drop this fall for PS4 (from 35k to 30k yen). Nevertheless VR will be pretty expensive at least at first that is true.

I mean, that's my point, lol, and that price drop is sort of tangential as it is too small to really affect the PSVR offer price point.

horuhe

Rakuten Weekly Comment

- PlayStation 4 is (again) the best selling console of the week. All models are popular and sold by various retailers. PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS along the lines of the previous week. Wii U is not present, only the retailer "Premium Select" put the console on chart at 43,000yen. Something that shows how "wanted" is the console.
- The Division, the best selling game of the week, and the Special Edition of Twilight Princess sold quite well. The PS4 version of Gundam Breaker showed better legs than the PSVita version.
- The most pre-ordered game is Yo-Kai Romance of the Three Kingdom, again Edion and Joshin were the key retailers. Dark Souls, Ace Attorney and Dragon Quest Monsters charted in high positions as well.
- Momotaro Dentetsu 2010 still selling as previous weeks. Rakuten Books confirmed new stock for March 20th. Call of Duty was the surprise of the chart.

http://ranking.rakuten.co.jp/weekly/101205/

horuhe

I guess those are Twilight Princess sales. Those are anime figurines, and the Special Edition with the amiibo should have sold quite well. If we add the underlined prices, we have 43.727 something a little bit better than expected sales.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. There's nothing more I could guess from those hints.

duckroll

Splatoon
Mario Kart 8
NSMB U

That's about it for console million sellers this generation. If we want to be really generous we can count GTA5, which managed a million when we add PS3, PS4, and the budget re-releases on PS3.

Last generation in comparison, there were 14 Wii games which sold over a million, and FFXIII on PS3. FFXIII outsold all the million sellers on WiiU this generation. The top selling Wii game - NSMB Wii, outsold all the million sellers on WiiU this generation combined. Lol.

hiska-kun

I guess those are Twilight Princess sales. Those are anime figurines, and the Special Edition with the amiibo should have sold quite well. If we add the underlined prices, we have 43.727 something a little bit better than expected sales.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. There's nothing more I could guess from those hints.

If these are Zelda sales, I think they are pretty decent for a remaster.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
48,202 is way more than YSO prediction Though... Can't be hardware, that's sure.
Must be software but that's pretty low for Summon night or The Division.

It's most likely Zelda but i'm not sure honestly...

Splatoon
Mario Kart 8
NSMB U

That's about it for console million sellers this generation. If we want to be really generous we can count GTA5, which managed a million when we add PS3, PS4, and the budget re-releases on PS3.

Last generation in comparison, there were 14 Wii games which sold over a million, and FFXIII on PS3. FFXIII outsold all the million sellers on WiiU this generation. The top selling Wii game - NSMB Wii, outsold all the million sellers on WiiU this generation combined. Lol.

This is pretty confronting

Lol, what?

The hype has to start when marketing kicks off and it hasn't even kicked off yet :p

Just wait and see for the new uncovered FFXV event that will kickstart the marketing and the hype will slowly build leading into the game's launch.

A lot of people here are underestimating the appeal and brand of FF. Despite the bad WOM of FFXIII and the crap launch of XIV, the subsequent games have done well enough. ARR was a huge success for SE and that was despite its disaster launch. FFX|X-2 HD are one of the more successful remasters from SE. There is zero reason to assume that FFXV will suddenly become the lowest selling game in the series unless it has a terrible WOM/Reception.

Let's be honest: FFXIII trilogy left a stain on the FF brand. I'm hyped for FFXV, but there's still some doubts around the game. It's promising but it's not the kind of hype you'd blindly get on the sole name of the game. People aren't underestimating the appeal and brand of FF, because the brand has been damaged to a certain extent.

I am telling the peak of the series is around 11 million and that too was a cult classic and one-of-a-kind deal that I doubt will happen again.

I am not expecting Witcher 3 level of crazy sales either (10+ million) but that counted PC too. I was just clarifying the people who think FFXV will have a trouble clearing 5 million, since it won't have any issue doing it IMO.

So what is the peak of sales after 5 million? Like I said, even I have no prediction for it but I do expect it to sell more than 1.5 million in Japan alone.

Wrong choice of word, sorry. I meant it was the most popular FF and yeh, mainstream and all.

To be fair, FFXV is the right occasion for SQEX to show it can have a big AAA game coming from the domestic development team which can sell extremely well in Western markets. FFXIII sold almost 7m units on consoles, there's no way FFXV will stop at 5m - and it shouldn't given how expensive the project looks like (and how much marketing SQEX is putting behind).

How many new IPs did +1M last gen?

Speed Edit; Other than Wii Sports struggling to think of an obvious one.

Wii Fit and Wii Party as well. If you count handheld platforms, also Brain Age, Tomodachi Collection, Nintendogs, Professor Layton. Inazuma Eleven from the second entry, and Love&Berry which was existing in the arcade space.

duckroll

How many new IPs did +1M last gen?

Speed Edit; Other than Wii Sports struggling to think of an obvious one.

Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, Wii Party. If you're not counting just consoles and want to look at the DS as well, we have Brain Training, Tomodachi Collection, NIntendogs, Layton.

yoonshik

Looks like Bamco has released a bunch of new Digimon World Next Order screenshots.

Apparently, you can levitate lol

O9n6yF9.jpg

More screens here: 4gamer

Is this relevant to sales discussion? Just askin'.

Curious to see early sales impressions for the game, which is launching in a few hours in Japan.

Orgen

Just like I said Zelda TP HD will sell more than Zelda WW HD :D

And Splatoon more than Final Fantasy XV... zing!

PS: Which Layton sold more than 1m? The first one?

Mario007

Is this relevant to sales discussion? Just askin'.

Curious to see early sales impressions for the game, which is launching in a few hours in Japan.
To be honest if people have to read 2 pages of you failing to see difference in tone and age demigraphic between two simple images, they can also read a post with screenshots from an upcoming game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To be honest if people have to read 2 pages of you failing to see difference in tone and age demigraphic between two simple images, they can also read a post with screenshots from an upcoming game.

OUCH

*pop corn*

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think 1.2 million or so is realistic. Those would still be super high numbers for a new console game in Japan these days.

If FFXV manages only 1,2m LTD in Japan that's a disappointing number and a big decline from the already declining XIII.

If FFXV manages only 1,2m LTD in Japan that's a disappointing number and a big decline from the already declining XIII.

That would be a huge decline - the biggest decline ever entry-over-entry for the franchise (-40%).

Discussions about the target demo of a game based on promotional materials are quite related to sales. For example, if we agree on a game targeted towards children released on a platform that notably lack the audience, we can make safer predictions on sales potential; someone also mentioned that Bandai Namco wanted to chase the MC audience (since apparently MC attracted a younger audience than the typical one PSV got over time), but this is suspicious as MC became a sales phenomenon only last year on PSV, while Next Order was supposedly already under development. Of course, a company can reposition the marketing towards a specific userbase - this is absolutely normal. As another informed user said, though, Next Order has been marketed heavily towards fans of the original Digimon World (a different segment of the adult fanbase). I hope this made clear to you why I feel a discussion about the target demo is more apt to a sales thread than posting random screenshots of a game.

Finally, regarding the discussion of some pages ago, I wasn't failing in anything. I didn't write the two "simple images" were the same - I just wrote that they didn't look such that one was targeting 15+ yo people and the other 7-14 yo people (i.e., writing that the difference in age demo wasn't much stark). I hope this helps in clarifying my point.

Top Bottom