• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule next game is a new IP, job listing suggests

Draugoth

Gold Member
media-molecule-logo-image.jpg
A Job application from Playstation seems to suggest Media Molecule next game is a new iP, and not Little Big Planet like previously assumed:

Partner closely with the wider programming team to define and champion technical requirements and standards for Mm’s new IP.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That’s awesome. These guys are always at least doing something new and interesting, even if it doesn’t always land. I’m glad they’re still working on new projects. It feels like an experimental dev like MM would have trouble keeping their doors open in the current game dev climate.

Sometimes I wonder why Dreams didn't hit, though. Like, Roblox is huge, as well as community created content in stuff like Minecraft and Fortnite. It's essentially that but with more power and customization available, and is extremely well made. They had the right idea at the right time, when other similar stuff took off, and it just didn't stick.

Robb

Gold Member
Good to hear! Dreams did nothing for me. Really hope they make something more along the lines of Tearaway/LBP next.

Monkfish877

Never seen a studio self sabotage their own game like the way MM did with Dreams. At every turn they refused to show what their engine was capable of in terms of the scope of games you could make. it was ridiculous and I still have no idea why they did that. Stream after stream, year after year they just kept on refusing to show what their engine was capable of, I even remember Shu Yoshida telling them to show some off some proper games on the Dreams engine on one of their streams but nope, they never did. Only when the game got canned they released Tren, Unbelievable. Whoever was making those braindead decisions needs to be fired.

Sometimes I wonder why Dreams didn't hit, though. Like, Roblox is huge, as well as community created content in stuff like Minecraft and Fortnite. It's essentially that but with more power and customization available, and is extremely well made. They had the right idea at the right time, when other similar stuff took off, and it just didn't stick.
I was WAY too complicated for smooth brains like myself to make anything. It was literally just a full graphics engine.

On the flip side, I used to LOVE Far Cry's map editor and was able to use it with relative ease.

Dreams needed a PC release and then it may have had a chance.

I was WAY too complicated for smooth brains like myself to make anything. It was literally just a full graphics engine.

On the flip side, I used to LOVE Far Cry's map editor and was able to use it with relative ease.

Dreams needed a PC release and then it may have had a chance.

I guess too that if you're going to invest that much time and effort in to figuring out how to use the tools and make something, why not learn Unity or UE4 and make a real game you can put on to Steam, or make something in Roblox and trick some kids into buying some microtransactions so you can make some money.

Markio128

I hope they make another game creator, but with a much simpler tool set. I don’t know why they don’t just use a character creator like RPGs use rather than the sculpting nonsense that made it really difficult to get a good result.

And don’t even get me started on the level design aspect. Even the tutorials were mind blowing in their complexity.

The only element that I really got into was the music editor, which was relatively easy to use and easy to get great results from with a little patience.

I guess too that if you're going to invest that much time and effort in to figuring out how to use the tools and make something, why not learn Unity or UE4 and make a real game you can put on to Steam, or make something in Roblox and trick some kids into buying some microtransactions so you can make some money.
Right, exactly. Collin Moriarty actually brought this up a few times on his podcast. It's pretty pointless to just make a game on Dreams when there is no real way to monetize it or anything. It would have been cool if you could submit your created game to PlayStation to sell on the PS Store or something along those lines.

AmuroChan

The tools in Dreams were pretty obtuse from what I remembered. Also, restricting it to just one platform was an idiotic decision if you want to proliferate a creation tool. You brought up Roblox, Minecraft, and Fortnite. What do all those games have in common? They're on everything and widely accessible.

clarky

Gold Member
I hope they make another game creator, but with a much simpler tool set. I don’t know why they don’t just use a character creator like RPGs use rather than the sculpting nonsense that made it really difficult to get a good result.

And don’t even get me started on the level design aspect. Even the tutorials were mind blowing in their complexity.

The only element that I really got into was the music editor, which was relatively easy to use and easy to get great results from with a little patience.
It was very clever don't get me wrong but you need a game to build on. Like LBP, Super Mario Maker, Halo with forge, Trackmania etc.

Dreams was so niche im surprised it was ever greenlit.

Aenima

Media Molecule are super creative, always betting in new ideas. Hope they next IP is something that is more appealing to the players than to the creators.

Varteras

Gold Member
I have no idea why this studio is still up. Others took a bullet for way less.

To be fair, neither London nor Pixelopus were award winning studios. A BAFTA fellowship is nothing to sneese at, from what I understand. Media Molecule produced a big hit with Little Big Planet at a time when PS3 was looking for as many wins as it could get. Their games are always highly regarded by critics. Their legacy and product quality put them in another league compared to the studios Sony has closed. That being said, I do suspect there is a great deal of pressure on them this time to produce something that makes money. Seeing as they haven't done that for a decade or so.

Right, exactly. Collin Moriarty actually brought this up a few times on his podcast. It's pretty pointless to just make a game on Dreams when there is no real way to monetize it or anything. It would have been cool if you could submit your created game to PlayStation to sell on the PS Store or something along those lines.

Still such a massive ball dropped they never did that. I was actually considering the game for creation purposes but little reason without a way to sell the finished creation if I felt it were worth doing.

Shame, too, because there are some pretty cool game concepts from the community in Dreams. Just feels like SIE short-changed MM of support they could've desperately used when they needed it the most.

Xtib81

Others don't posses their talent, or a franchise as successful as Little Big Planet.
Lbp was successful 15 years ago. Now in terms of talent, I'd say they are more creative than talented. They take forever to release games that interest very few people and don't sell.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Lbp was successful 15 years ago. Now in terms of talent, I'd say they are more creative than talented. They take forever to release games that interest very few people and don't sell.
Small studio size means their lack of production isn't as expensive to float for Sony. Tearaway and Dreams are generally considered well made by critics. Plus, I think Little Big Planets success helped give them a longer than normal rope.

That said, I think Sony reviewed all their studios projects recently and generally thought this one had decent promise. If this flops they might be cooked. I doubt it will.

Fbh

Never really been into their games.
But hopefully they can at least make something that doesn't bomb this time around.

Mm have never made a great game, and their concept of making a gamified game dev tool and having the community make the bulk of the content has proved to be flawed every time they've tried, especially with how easy actual game dev tools are to learn and use these days.

But we've lost a lot of studios in the UK, so I really hope this new IP isn't just more of the same from them.

my media molecule post from 2 months ago:

well, they apparently revived their blog for a total of 3 posts last september:
https://www.mediamolecule.com/blog

other than that? while the front page of their website says 'we're expanding!', the 'show me the jobs!' section is blank:
https://www.mediamolecule.com/careers

oddly enough, the most detailed section of the website is the 'our kitchen' page. mmm, tasty:
https://www.mediamolecule.com/about/kitchen

& that's about it. quite the little studio, alright. what is it they do, again?...

Belthazar

Dreams isn't available on PC and mobile, that's why. Roblox is huge, just not on console.

Belthazar

Mm have never made a great game, and their concept of making a gamified game dev tool and having the community make the bulk of the content has proved to be flawed every time they've tried, especially with how easy actual game dev tools are to learn and use these days.

But we've lost a lot of studios in the UK, so I really hope this new IP isn't just more of the same from them.

Tearaway is genuinely great, especially the Vita version.

Small studio size means their lack of production isn't as expensive to float for Sony. Tearaway and Dreams are generally considered well made by critics. Plus, I think Little Big Planets success helped give them a longer than normal rope.

That said, I think Sony reviewed all their studios projects recently and generally thought this one had decent promise. If this flops they might be cooked. I doubt it will.

IF it ends up flopping, I'd rather Sony just spin MM off as an independent studio maybe with some start-up money in exchange for right-to-first-refusal on PlayStation publishing rights for whatever game they were able to develop once independent, even if funding for the game mainly came through another company or investor.

One of the few cases where I'd suggest they actually take an approach like Microsoft did with Toys for Bob because, let's be real, if TFB weren't spun off they were gonna get shut down.

yurinka

Honestly...it's a miracle these guys are still open.
I'm quite surprised they haven't been shut down. I'm glad they haven't, just surprised.
I have no idea why this studio is still up. Others took a bullet for way less.

Why? All their games have been profitable and they normally win several awards with each new game. Plus they are a relatively small studio with a good part of their staff being juniors who started there their gamedev career, so it should be cheap to fund.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why? All their games have been profitable and they normally win several awards with each new game. Plus they are a relatively small studio with a good part of their staff being juniors who started there their gamedev career, so it should be cheap to fund.

Dreams was profitable? That's surprising.

Two reasons:

1. Complex dev tools that had to be used with controllers, which made for a robust but cumbersome experience

2. Not F2P.
Adding it to Plus did not change its success and revitalise any hype one bit, ie offering it to millions had zero effect, so I doubt proper f2p would have really mattered.

The tools were more complex than LBP, but also more powerful, too powerful, too complex. Controllers might not be great for certain tasks, but especially in VR sculpting must have been more intuitive than other tools, so possibly the opposite of cumbersome for those who really spent the required time with it?

Imho it was just too complex for the LBP+Roblox crowd and too pointless for the Unreal/Unity crowd, that rather digs their teeth into "actual" projects. PC might have helped, and or export tools, but imho the lack of monetization for the necessary proper teams or very enthusiastic individuals prevented success.

The saddest part is imo that the game looked great, really unique and MM themselves and or other teams making just regular games with it, would maybe have been more successfull. Some capable teams might have picked it up if there was any money in it for them. Jo Schmo of course did mostly again copyright infringement Super Mario recreations or whatever. The whole premise of throwing some editor out again seems to still be alive for other (more primitive?) games but wasting those tools on average people was imho in hindsight just wrong. Small Astrobot and Sackboy games for 4,99 each, might have been nice. Or make some levels with Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Aloy etc. everyone from Sony's lineup and beyond, like Fortnite does. Each for a small price and standalone and just showcasing the tools.

nial

Gold Member
With Sumo Digital seemingly not working on the series anymore, it looks like LittleBigPlanet is dead for now.
Wishing the best for Media Molecule on this one, the idea of having something akin to Tearaway on PS5 actually makes me happy.

Last edited:

yurinka

Honestly...it's a miracle these guys are still open.
Dreams was profitable? That's surprising.
Do you have any numbers or sources ?
Higher ups from their studio mentioned in multiple interviews that all Media Molecule games were profitable. In this case Media Molecule publishes publicly their profitability in this website of the UK government, as I remember because they receive some public grant:
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05665849/filing-history

In that website, as an example we see that 20 Dec 2023 they posted "Full accounts made up to 31 March 2023", where we see it was profitable the fiscals years that ended in 2022 and 2023:

image.png

image.png

We see in that document the results of an independent auditory (page 4) saying this:
image.png

If we go to check their late 2021 equivalent document to see their 2021 and 2020 profit:
image.png

Regarding 2019 and 2018:
image.png

And so on, here you have Media Molecule profits until the PS3 days:
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

So yes, we see in MM finances that they have been profitable every single year since the PS3 days (their biggest hit, the first LBP was released late 2008).

Since 2021, a year after Dreams release, they don't report many things like revenue, sales/administrative/distribution costs, groos and operative income: they may be handled by some other SIE subsidiary now, and send them finance income to compensate their tiny financing costs of that year, specially compared to the profits they have been making the previous years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom