• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule releases trippy/glitchy teaser for new PS4 project

Alx

rMI4ZDS.png

Is this a guy with a beard on the left and a monster on the right? There's a lot of monster looking figures throughout that video.

For example, here it looks like someone is struck on a piece of land and being surrounded by a giant monster (left) and a smaller one (right) belonging to the same species.
CJiWIu6.png

Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see? ٩◔̯◔۶

Please be a 3D platformer!

I don't think those are "monsters" in the first image. ;) Like danhese007, I think we're seeing the sculpting app from the camera point of view. In the second image, the two bright dots look like Move orbs, with one "pushing" a soft surface. And the soft shapes in general may be generated content (with interpolated curves).

Gekidami

Banned
They already talked about their game. They tested many ways to create things, since they are mainly a PCS studio so they settled on move which can be used to make intricate sculpts.

The idea is being able to create any idea that pops into your head, including something musical. I'm sure DualShock 4 will be another input method.
As cool as that looks, it looks totally inaccessible to the majority of gamers.

I ain't no artist, i cant sculpt 3D sculptures on a to screen without any physical feedback. Fuck,i couldn't do it WITH physical feedback.

rMI4ZDS.png

Is this a guy with a beard on the left and a monster on the right? There's a lot of monster looking figures throughout that video.

For example, here it looks like someone is struck on a piece of land and being surrounded by a giant monster (left) and a smaller one (right) belonging to the same species.
CJiWIu6.png

Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see? ٩◔̯◔۶

Please be a 3D platformer!

Did you see the prototype video at the PS4 reveal? It looks like you just might be able to build your own 3D platformers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYY-J3ckeSI (At around 1:30 in the video)

Salex_

I don't think those are "monsters" in the first image. ;) Like danhese007, I think we're seeing the sculpting app from the camera point of view. In the second image, the two bright dots look like Move orbs, with one "pushing" a soft surface. And the soft shapes in general may be generated content (with interpolated curves).

Did you see the prototype video at the PS4 reveal? It looks like you just might be able to build your own 3D platformers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYY-J3ckeSI (At around 1:30 in the video)

I forgot about that video. I still want them to follow the LBP format into 3D though. 3D platformer at the core with the ability to create your own levels/games/worlds.
so we still have no trademark name in the wild for their game? I doubt we will see it at Gamescom without it.

The 2 unknown trademarks right now are Kill Strain and The Hungry Horde.

Stampy

so we still have no trademark name in the wild for their game? I doubt we will see it at Gamescom without it.

RK128

Man, that trailer looked......twisted :0!

While this is most likely there PS Move/PS Eye project, I wonder if this is also some kind of platformer from them?

I'm sure they must have loved the work they did with Tearaway and taking what they learned from that and the LBP games + using the new tech of the PS4.....they could make an amazing 3D platformer :D.

I can just imagine it; a surreal/warped 3D platformer where the world consistently shifts and moves based on the DS4/PS Move/PS Eye. The dark and twisted stuff in this trailer must be an indication of that type of thing (as those images couldn't be solid platforms object; they might be things that consistently shift and morph).

I can't wait to see more of this; loved Tearaway, so I hope this turns out great :D!

From MEDIA MOLECULE, creators of the award winning LittleBigPlanet series, comes KILL STRAIN, an ultra-violent genre-defining take on the First-Person Shooter. You play as a man known only as Jeremiah, a grandfather and ex-marine whose family was MURDERED by an evil clandestine government organisation. Unravelling a CONSPIRACY reaching all the way up to the Secretary of Defence, Jeremiah must navigate this roguelike OPEN WORLD with an arsenal of weapons and vehicles and exact revenge on those responsible.

Coming this Christmas, only on PS4.

From MEDIA MOLECULE, creators of the award winning LittleBigPlanet series, comes KILL STRAIN, an ultra-violent genre-defining take on the First-Person Shooter. You play as a man known only as Jeremiah, a grandfather and ex-marine whose family was MURDERED by an evil clandestine government organisation. Unravelling a CONSPIRACY reaching all the way up to the Secretary of Defence, Jeremiah must navigate this roguelike OPEN WORLD with an arsenal of weapons and vehicles and exact revenge on those responsible.

Coming this Christmas, only on PS4.

No way Media Molecules game is callled "KILL STRAIN" ;D!

163.gif

lewisgone

Ok, looks like we can expect some artsy fartsy crap.

Seriously, what does this mean? Would you like to see game/movie studios never attempt to convey a message or meaning in their works? To never work to create something that doesn't appeal to the lowest common denominator? Why would you deliberately will entertainment to be soulless and meaningless?

Hmm, I think we're basically looking at the same thing all the time from roughly the same angle, but switching the messed up effects on and off. I might be wrong.

My guess is something to do with distance field based lighting/occlusion applied where it shouldn't be. For some of the appearances anyway.

pottuvoi

Banned
Hmm, I think we're basically looking at the same thing all the time from roughly the same angle, but switching the messed up effects on and off. I might be wrong.

My guess is something to do with distance field based lighting/occlusion applied where it shouldn't be. For some of the appearances anyway.
Remember their "Tyranny of the Polygon" speech from e3?
Yup, they use signed distance fields at least for a content creation, perhaps for other things as well..

Remember their "Tyranny of the Polygon" speech from e3?
Yup, they use signed distance fields at least for a content creation, perhaps for other things as well..

yeah I think so, it seems like they could be fast enough to draw every object in the game like that these days.

Posted this before but here's a webgl bunny drawn with a sdf array.
http://www.postronic.org/h3/test/webgl/ds09/

The actual array data is here, 64x64x64 bytes. http://www.postronic.org/h3/test/webgl/ds09/img/bunny.png

Top Bottom