• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre games from franchises that aren't

Neff

Metal Gear Solid 4 was my favourite game of 2008.
Resident Evil 5 was my favourite game of 2009.
Final Fantasy XIII and Metroid Other M were my favourite games of 2010.
Skyward Sword was my favourite game of 2011.
Resident Evil 6 is my favourite game of 2012.

This thread just made me want to say that.

flattie

Other M gets another vote here. After the sublime Retro trilogy, this game was like a nasty kick in the teeth. It was like they genuinely didn't get their own franchise.

Zeroth

n64-bt.jpg

Banjo-Kazooie was simply too good at what it was despite its flaws, and I'm afraid Tooie tried to correct many of its fault but ended up becoming a worse game as a whole. It also lost a lot of the subtle humor of the first game, which was much simpler but more coherent.

aaaaaa

Out of 2D Castlevanias, Harmony of Dissonance was pretty mediocre. It had a boring castle and a character that jumps very slowly.

Out of the Lego series, Lego Indiana Jones 1 was pretty inept. You'd think the title character would be the one they'd put the most effort into, but Indy was the worst character because the whip controls sucked. Still playable.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - the enemy scaling was a really bad idea.

Fox318

After finishing Assassin's Creed III a few days ago, I figured I'd go back and get to playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations, the only game in the series that I hadn't yet finished.

However, after giving it around 5-6 hours, I just stopped. Revelations isn't nearly as good as the other games in the series, and I just wasn't having fun.

That got me thinking; there are several games from franchises that I love that just aren't up to par with the other entries. Another one, and this one saddens me the most:
oDNAN.png

Halo: Reach. It changed up the mechanics of Halo, and, in my opinion, went against what made Halo, Halo.

So, what are other games in your favorite series that just didn't do it for you?

I haven't played 3 yet but if I enjoyed Revelations. Its not the greatest but there are some pretty awesome set pieces.

Pre

What the hell is up with the Gen III Pokemon hate? I can understand if you don't like them as much as RBY and GSC, but they're far and away better than Gens IV and V.

Zeroth

What the hell is up with the Gen III Pokemon hate? I can understand if you don't like them as much as RBY and GSC, but they're far and away better than Gens IV and V.

It's interesting how people are adding Emerald to it. I can understand RS, but Emerald is pretty much the best Pokemon in Gen III and one of the best overall.

After finishing Assassin's Creed III a few days ago, I figured I'd go back and get to playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations, the only game in the series that I hadn't yet finished.
?

I know I'm late, but in your case you have to consider burn-out. There isn't enough disparity in mechanics to go right from one game into another. Same reason I have yet to finish Mass Effect 2. I tried to do it right after finishing the first one and it really really sucked...even knowing that it probably really really doesn't. Try it again in a couple years. It's not going anywhere

Top Bottom