• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the Man Behind Adult Swim's Canceled "Alt-Right" Comedy Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently had a few threads about this show's cancellation and its alt-right connections. Let's now get the creator's side of the story.

Some excerpts and choice quotes containing a recap for those that missed the threads about the show and then the interview:

From the moment it premiered last August, Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace was causing disturbances in the insular and relatively supportive weirdo-comedy world of Adult Swim. The show, with its odd pacing, jarring graphics and bizarre characters and scenarios, at first glance contains all the hallmarks of other offerings from the Cartoon Network offshoot — cult sketch shows like Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! and The Eric Andre Show. Watch long enough, however, and World Peace veers into some shocking and arguably offensive territory. In one sketch, a man trips his brother's wife because he doesn't find her attractive enough, sending her face-first into a glass coffee table. In another, an African-American woman boasts of getting $40,000 a year in disability payments. Even a seemingly innocuous sketch about "making tap water" takes an ugly turn when the actor in it angrily references men "taking it in the ass," for no apparent reason.

The show is from the mind of a trio of Rhode Island-based sketch comedians — Sam Hyde, Nick Rochefort and Charls Carroll — who've been at it for a decade and call themselves Million Dollar Extreme (MDE). Prior to series pickup last May, they already had amassed a sizable following, particularly in the "alt-right" online community that has championed white supremacy and cheered Donald Trump's rise to power. As the group's leader, the 31-year-old Hyde — who tweets support for alt-right theories like Pizzagate while hurling attacks at left-leaning celebrities like Lena Dunham (whom he called a "fat pig") and Patton Oswalt (whom he theorized had "killed his wife") — has drawn the majority of heat.

Let’s focus on the show because I’m interested in the cancellation and what unfolded behind the scenes at Adult Swim.

Sam Hyde: The show is strictly meant to be a comedy show. It’s not supposed to have a preachy [tone]. It’s not supposed to be that at all. We hate that. It’s not supposed to be a political statement that says one thing or another. It’s just supposed to be funny. And it’s provenly funny. It got better ratings than Eric Andre’s first season. The execs — the Jewish Adult Swim executives, the black Adult Swim executives — they all loved it. They wanted to buy season two immediately and shoot 100 more episodes. People loved the show until these f—ing twisted articles came out doing Twitter detective work going deep on accounts that I’ve never even heard of. So no, the show is not a political show.

One of the things that struck me while watching the show was that you hired actors of color — African-American, Asian — for sketches in which the jokes, to some viewers no doubt, appear to be mocking them. You do blackface in one sketch, for example. Did that ever get awkward on-set?

SH: I don’t think so. A lot of the crew was black. Our assistant director was black. Our development executive was black. And I don’t think anybody got butt-hurt about what we were doing while we were doing it.

You have gone pretty hard after other comedians on Twitter. For example, shortly after Patton Oswalt’s wife died, you tweeted, “He killed her.” What instigated that?

SH: (Laughs.) Making fun of people on Twitter and disagreeing with them is a whole different ballgame from having their livelihood destroyed, wouldn’t you agree?

But he was obviously going through something a terrible time. Why would you say that?

SH: Well, I’ve forgotten what he was doing that would piss me off. But it was pretty suspicious that his wife was a murder-mystery writer and she dies painlessly in her sleep. That’s kind of crazy to me. (Laughs.) If he didn’t kill her it’s a sad thing. I’ll say that. But it’s f—ing suspicious as hell. It’s none of my business, but I think he said something to piss me off so I decided to ask him about that.

Read the rest here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...t-swims-canceled-alt-right-comedy-show-954487

Moppeh

Banned
Holy shit at that Patton Oswald thing. What an asshole.

Also, he's fucking talking shit about twitter detectives and he fucking said Patton killed his wife. Fuck his hypocritical ass.

RinsFury

Didn't know about that Patton Oswald tweet, gross.

Hope this guy gets completely blacklisted from the comedy world.

5edgy10me

Ow_the_edge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom