• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection announced (MM1-6, PS4/XB1/PC/3DS, Digital Eclipse)

The E3 demo had pretty clear "Save Game" "Load Game" options in the menu, which I assume are save-states.

While some form of save states have been confirmed, be careful not to make assumptions off of things like this. It's plausible that the save/load screen simply replaces the old password system necessitated by the lack of battery backup in the original cartridges.

Of course, seeing as the developer wants a purely authentic experience, this could very well be incorrect too-- just thinking about the technical constraints they're willing to work around compared to the authenticity they strive to preserve (however disagreeable that may seem).

Kawika

It's probably just manpower. It's a small team, releasing it on 4 different platforms at once is not easy.

I wish it was possible for them to reprint the 6 NES games (Cartridges) and bundle it as a collectors edition. I would spend an ungodly amount of money to get my hands on a clean set of the 6 games.

I wish it was possible for them to reprint the 6 NES games (Cartridges) and bundle it as a collectors edition. I would spend an ungodly amount of money to get my hands on a clean set of the 6 games.
The press edition of Ducktales Remastered came with a Gold-colored NES Ducktales cart. It was a Timewalk reproduction I believe.

Same company, so maybe they'll do something similar with the limited press-only version.

You can still buy the original NES carts. I have 5 of the 6. It'll cost you an ungodly amount of money either way...

Kawika

You can still buy the original NES carts. I have 5 of the 6. It'll cost you an ungodly amount of money either way...

I am rebuilding my NES collection (that was stolen) and its been really painful to rebuild that library because of the condition other people kept their games in and the prices they are asking for. I decided since I have an Analogue NT coming that I might be better off buying the Rockman Famicom collection which can be had for under $130 complete (cheaper if you buy them piecemeal).

But if I could get actually reprints of the game officially licensed by Capcom it would make me feel a lot better than having some eBayer making $300 of loose carts with considerable cosmetic damage.

Narroo

Yeah, the flicker and slowdown were part of how the original games functioned, and were present when the original devs tested the games. They are the result of technical limitations, but removing them does have an impact on the game itself.

Adding widescreen would be an even bigger change, since anyone who has played an NES (or even SNES) Mega Man game learns how scrolling affects enemy spawn and activation. It would also mess up a lot of the level designs and require some massive re-editing of levels. Look at the boss rooms, for example: they are shaped to perfectly fit a 4:3 aspect ratio. If you expand the screen, then you will be stuck with some of the boss corridor sticking out the left side and a bunch of black space with no art assets on the right side. There are other places where it would break screen scrolling and basic navigation (such as the miniboss rooms that block forward and backward movement just by locking the screen from scrolling). Adding in widescreen would require a massive change to the level design of the vast majority of the stages in the series.

To add to what mister dragon is saying: It would be like removing the speed-up effect of Space Invaders. The famous speed up effect of that game is actually a result of how the hardware functions, not the programming itself. That said, the developers liked it and used it as a feature that improved the game. Next thing you know people are going to want to colorize the black and white wizard of Oz scenes.

Also, this:
Filters: While one of the biggest draws of MMLC is the crystal clear picture, we've also enabled some Tube TV-style filters that can metaphorically teleport you back to the days of crappy screens and blurry... everything! So if you'd like to experience the games with scan lines and some ghosting effects, go nuts!

Is not very promising. They need to go check out the real deal behind scan lines, otherwise I fear they're going to do a terrible job on it.

sörine

Banned
It's probably just manpower. It's a small team, releasing it on 4 different platforms at once is not easy.
I recall someone from Capcom or DE saying more ports may happen later but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Did we ever find out if the 3DS port would add 3D?

Crub

Capcom should do a Disney 8-bit collection after this including the Ducktales, Chip 'n Dales and Darkwin Duck games!

sörine

Banned
Might've reached 500K by now I think. Steamspy lists the Steam ver. selling over 100K copies last I checked.
Wii U version should be over 70k in America only. It was above Shovel Knight in the all time rankings when YCG revealed that game sold 70k on Wii U. Probably over 100k worldwide too.

Raitaro

Capcom should do a Disney 8-bit collection after this including the Ducktales, Chip 'n Dales and Darkwin Duck games!

Or at the very least do a remake of Ducktales 2 as well, which should be relatively easier.

I was actually a bit disappointed that they didn't combine both of the Ducktales games into one big new game instead of adding stuff to the first game by itself to extend the play time. Would have been a more elegant solution perhaps.

That said, if we can get Chip 'n Dales 1 & 2 and Darkwing Duck as well, that would be even more fantastic.

Tizoc

sörine;173773467 said:
Wii U version should be over 70k in America only. It was above Shovel Knight in the all time rankings when YCG revealed that game sold 70k on Wii U. Probably over 100k worldwide too.

Interesting, fyi by 500K I meant from all systems it was released on; PSN, XBL, eShop and Steam.

Top Bottom