• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X2 & X3 - Taking out the X-Hunters

I'm due for revisiting both titles as I haven't played them in well over a decade. I remember that I liked X2 the most of the SNES trilogy because it's story felt more compelling and the armor upgrades were cool. Gotta disagree with the OP on the X-hunters though - it was gratifying getting Zero back and then seeing him destroy Sigma's fake Zero. Besides, if you don't save Zero, the fight against him is hard as hell!

X3 kinda over complicated the power ups and ride armors. I also feel like it had the most forgettable Mavericks of the SNES games. That being said, I remembered that there was a way that X could get Zero's sabre by the end of the game which made your charge shot ridiculously over powered.

Also, I pulled up the X2 and X3 intro level themes...God damn those still melt faces!

Thanks for a walk down memory lane OP. Time to hit up the Virtual Console shop...

X3 is still a tough game for me to get all the power ups on to this day. The amount of them that require certain ride amours or certain weapons with the powered up charge shot... always confused me and has me resorting to use a guide. I still love the game though, so satisfying to get the fully powered up super armor late in the game. Probably has the most epic Sigma battle (in my opinion) in the entire series.

RK128

I'm due for revisiting both titles as I haven't played them in well over a decade. I remember that I liked X2 the most of the SNES trilogy because it's story felt more compelling and the armor upgrades were cool. Gotta disagree with the OP on the X-hunters though - it was gratifying getting Zero back and then seeing him destroy Sigma's fake Zero. Besides, if you don't save Zero, the fight against him is hard as hell!

X3 kinda over complicated the power ups and ride armors. I also feel like it had the most forgettable Mavericks of the SNES games. That being said, I remembered that there was a way that X could get Zero's sabre by the end of the game which made your charge shot ridiculously over powered.

Also, I pulled up the X2 and X3 intro level themes...God damn those still melt faces!

Thanks for a walk down memory lane OP. Time to hit up the Virtual Console shop...

Happy you enjoyed the Retrospective :D! X3 does over-complicate things but overall its still a great time. I guess I'm the outlier here regarding the X Hunter fights but I outright loathed them across my X2 playthrough that I decided to say "Fuck it" and ignore them out right.

Kept getting so frustrated with each fight and the one with the giant spike ball was controller snapping frustrating.

lazygecko

You missed the bit where X2 and X3 were also the first titles to utilize the Capcom's Cx4 chip. It was a technological advance at the time!

Yet they hardly seemed to use them for anything other than a few token wireframe 3D bosses/minibosses. The rumor I heard was that Capcom used the chip just as an anti piracy measure.

RK128

No mention of the Shoryuken....

.....Never found it across my playthrough :(. To be fair, I didn't cover the HADUKEN! in MMX1's Retrospective either :l.

Will rectify that with MMX4 though when I touch on the boss fights :). Magma Dragoon might as well be a SF character implanted into the MMX series XD!

Balb

I really like both soundtracks for X3. I wouldn't recommend playing X3 on the Saturn though (not sure how it compares to the PS1 version). Has crappy load times and has borders because it runs the game at the original resolution. I remember both of those issues being fixed in the PS2/GC X Collection though.

RK128

I really like both soundtracks for X3. I wouldn't recommend playing X3 on the Saturn though (not sure how it compares to the PS1 version). Has crappy load times and has borders because it runs the game at the original resolution. I remember both of those issues being fixed in the PS2/GC X Collection though.

It doesn't have those issues because as someone noted here, the X Collection version of X3 is based on the EU PS1 version (not the SNES version or anything). Interesting hearing the Saturn version having issues with X3, as the system specialized in 2D games. Would of thought the version of X3 on Saturn would be the BEST version in that case.

Balb

It doesn't have those issues because as someone noted here, the X Collection version of X3 is based on the EU PS1 version (not the SNES version or anything). Interesting hearing the Saturn version having issues with X3, as the system specialized in 2D games. Would of thought the version of X3 on Saturn would be the BEST version in that case.

Yeah, that's what I figured too, which is why I bought it :p. I also realized that I vastly prefer the SNES/Dualshock 2 controllers to the Saturn controller when it comes to playing the X games. I couldn't find a control configuration that I liked on the Saturn, though I'm not sure how others feel about this.

RK128

Yeah, that's what I figured too, which is why I bought it :p. I also realized that I vastly prefer the SNES/Dualshock 2 controllers to the Saturn controller when it comes to playing the X games. I couldn't find a control configuration that I liked on the Saturn, though I'm not sure how others feel about this.

I'm not sure about this, but does the Saturn have shoulder buttons? If so, they should play the X games fine for me :). ALWAYS put the Dashing on the R button for every version of the X game I play, with triangle/circle for weapon switching (SNES)/L2 & R2 for weapon switching (X4-X6).

Sephzilla

Mega Man X, X2, and X3 are the pinnacle of the entire Mega Man franchise in my opinion. All three are really fun games. For what it's worth I think X3 gets a little too much hate lobbed its way. It over-complicates things a tad too much but it still retains the same solid feel the previous two X games had. X4 I honestly feel is overrated and is where the X franchise started its downhill slide.

RK128

Mega Man X, X2, and X3 are the pinnacle of the entire Mega Man franchise in my opinion. All three are really fun games. For what it's worth I think X3 gets a little too much hate lobbed its way. It over-complicates things a tad too much but it still retains the same solid feel the previous two X games had. X4 I honestly feel is overrated and is where the X franchise started its downhill slide.

X4 is so good thanks to Zero being such a joy to play as. Not to mention its story is compelling (Zero's at least). Otherwise, I tend to agree that the SNES trilogy are damn good games and are some of the best Action/Platformers out there :).

X2 has my favorite set of Mavericks and stages, just an overall amazing game... with the aforementioned exception of the X-Hunters. Wheel Gator has the best stage theme, but his boss fight just draaaaagggs on.

X3 is just, well, not as great as 1 or 2; it has its' moments but as for the swan song for the SNES part of the series, it doesn't live up to its' predecessors imo.

Thanks for doing these retrospectives; I really need to revisit these games sometime soon.

Sephzilla

X4 is so good thanks to Zero being such a joy to play as. Not to mention its story is compelling (Zero's at least). Otherwise, I tend to agree that the SNES trilogy are damn good games and are some of the best Action/Platformers out there :).

X4 Zero is definitely more fun to play as than X3 Zero, but something about X4 just feels off to me and I can't put my finger on it.

Balb

I'm not sure about this, but does the Saturn have shoulder buttons? If so, they should play the X games fine for me :). ALWAYS put the Dashing on the R button for every version of the X game I play, with triangle/circle for weapon switching (SNES)/L2 & R2 for weapon switching (X4-X6).

Yeah it does, so you should be fine there. I always use the default control scheme because that's just what I'm used to :p, even though it probably feels a lot more cramped to have dash mapped to the A (SNES)/O (PS1) rather than R. It's probably why the Zero games didn't feel right to me at the time, since they use R for dashing. I should give those a try again...

Syril

Funny enough, X2 was actually where Zero's origin and the plot thread of Dr. Wily being active behind the scenes originated, but it was muddled in translation. In the Japanese script, Serges is blatantly Dr. Wily in disguise, since he's the only one to call X Rockman, and upon his second defeat, laments being beaten by Light's memento robot again. Also, Sigma straight up calls Zero the last of the Wily Numbers.

RK128

Funny enough, X2 was actually where Zero's origin and the plot thread of Dr. Wily being active behind the scenes originated, but it was muddled in translation. In the Japanese script, Serges is blatantly Dr. Wily in disguise, since he's the only one to call X Rockman, and upon his second defeat, laments being beaten by Light's memento robot again. Also, Sigma straight up calls Zero the last of the Wily Numbers.

Really now.....with this in mind, going to go back to the X2 section later today to updated it with the JP storyline, as this is a major element I glossed over.

correojon

I love these games, nice restrospective RK128!

I remember air dashing through impossible corridors with the charged fire dash to get some hidden items, the golden armor...and most of all, the final fight against Sigma where you had to wall jump, then air dash upwards, wait, then airdash upwards again while charging your weapon to get a direct hit. Being able to stay so much time in the air dodging attacks blew my mind and was the coolest thing ever!

I even enjoyed the fight against the X-Hunters (specially Agile with his huge sword slashes), the levels changing appearance (like setting the forest level on fire) or the details like the alternate death animations for the bosses if you killed them with certain weapons.

I must replay these games one of these days.

RK128

He didn't mention the Hadouken in X1 either. ;)

Whatever-Sonic-sonic-the-hedgehog-35355530-280-210.jpg

Will cover the Street Fighter references with X4, I promise guys :).

That's really facinating. I've just googled the script differences and its pretty damning. Really sad that Capcom messed up the translation on X2 (and arguably parts of MM7 as well). Pity the X series hasn't continued to further explain what happened to Wily, though I imagine it'd be a situation much like the end of the classic series where they would never actually show what happened to Rock and co. and leave the plot up in the air for interpretation.

X3 was my favorite at the time. Looking back I like X1 the best. Spent the least amount of time with X2. I still have the cartridges in the basement at my moms place.

kaydigi

.....Never found it across my playthrough :(. To be fair, I didn't cover the HADUKEN! in MMX1's Retrospective either :l.

Will rectify that with MMX4 though when I touch on the boss fights :). Magma Dragoon might as well be a SF character implanted into the MMX series XD!

He didn't mention the Hadouken in X1 either. ;)

Whatever-Sonic-sonic-the-hedgehog-35355530-280-210.jpg

Will cover the Street Fighter references with X4, I promise guys :).

Your Megaman X write up was so good I didn't want to tarnish it with me being pissy about the lack of fireball coverage.

Your x2 X3 write was great also, I was chomping at the bit to see if you would speak about the saturn, psone ost and you did.

RK128

Your Megaman X write up was so good I didn't want to tarnish it with me being pissy about the lack of fireball coverage.

Your x2 X3 write was great also, I was chomping at the bit to see if you would speak about the saturn, psone ost and you did.

Thank you for the kind words :D! Wanted to do a great job with the introduction with each sub-series, as that, to me, is the most important parts of the MM Retrospective. Each MM Sub series is different and the first game in each one lays so many ground rules for how future games work. Covering EVERYTHING I can possibly cover for the first game in each sub series is major, and will do so when I get to Battle Network, Zero, ZX and Starforce.

And regarding X3's coverage here, I had to talk about the PS1 version! It WAS the version I played for this Retrospective after all :D!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I'm just poking fun.

Though, the best part about is that ir comes off like an April Fool's Day joke that you'd read in the old gaming magazines.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Thank you for the kind words :D! Wanted to do a great job with the introduction with each sub-series, as that, to me, is the most important parts of the MM Retrospective. Each MM Sub series is different and the first game in each one lays so many ground rules for how future games work. Covering EVERYTHING I can possibly cover for the first game in each sub series is major, and will do so when I get to Battle Network, Zero, ZX and Starforce.

And regarding X3's coverage here, I had to talk about the PS1 version! It WAS the version I played for this Retrospective after all :D!

PS1 version is where it's at for X3. Saturn version was butt, PC version had it's issues, etc. I like the arranged soundtrack a hell of a lot better than the SNES version's tracks.

Link_enfant

PS1 version is where it's at for X3. Saturn version was butt, PC version had it's issues, etc. I like the arranged soundtrack a hell of a lot better than the SNES version's tracks.

Interesting opinion, I really enjoyed some of the PSX version additions/changes, but SNES version's soundtrack will always beat it by far to me :)

Anyway, as much as I love the first Mega Man X, I'll always consider X2 to be on par with X1 and X3 to be the best of them (if not the best of the whole X series). It's like the pinnacle of the X games in every way.

I'm glad we eventually got al three of them on Wii U VC even in Europe (and thanks god, US versions), now I wish they'll be released on New 3DS as well outside of Japan.

Everyone should play those three games, really.

Syril

You know, I really appreciate them changing the maverick names to not sound completely ridiculous, while it lasted...

BOSS3.jpg

RK128

Duff McWhalen's name still cracks me up to this day, quite possibly the best thing to come from X5's Guns n Roses naming parodies. Though I do wonder why Duff's stage music was just a remixed Bubble Crab stage when original music for his stage does exist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKrUYMWNOwE

Hugh, never heard of that before. That track you posted does sound really good, so they could of pulled a Mega Man 7 and had it be a 'bonus track' if you held a button before playing the stage (like Shadow Man in MM7).

Blues1990

Man, I knew there was a vague resemblance to Wily with Serges, but the fact that those specific references to the Classic series were lost in translation in the English localization changes everything.

And from a non-objective standpoint, it's true. Zero truly is the last of the Dr. Wily Numbers.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You know, I really appreciate them changing the maverick names to not sound completely ridiculous, while it lasted...

BOSS3.jpg
You mean BUBBLY CRABLOS isn't cool enough for you!?

Someone did a script comparison for it here along with other games in the series.

https://hondoori.wordpress.com/scripts-and-localizations/rockman-x-series/rockman-x2/
Most interesting quote from the original script:

Today as well, upon orders from Hunter base, X has mobilized together with a fellow Irregular Hunter in order to investigate and destroy a factory where Irregulars are being manufactured.
Green biker dude gets a direct mention!

j_RpUYtF6xsSLdvRYgylhW8BNOrt6WcByIvH9EjlR_NOSJ2Eo20uT68M-9_Jlsf2lx8emASv0UGN5LsUBbprUg=w426-h320-n

Great write-up.

As I said in another thread recently, one of my fondest memories was when I was with my sister at one of her friend's house. We had just stopped by to pick her up or something. Her brother was playing X2. Now, I grew up a very "poor gamer". I got an NES as a sort of hand me down from my Aunt and cousins in 89 and while I certainly built up a good collection of games, my asshole stepfather at the time convinced my mom they didn't need to spend money on getting a new console. So seeing Super Nintendo games up close was completely awe inspiring to me being so accustomed to 8 bit graphics. So anyway, he got to the Overdrive Ostrich fight. I knew Mega Man very well from the NES obviously, but can you imagine what it was like to see an enemy leap from the background into the foreground? I nearly crapped my pants. Finally saved up enough Christmas and Birthday money to buy the cheap SNES remodel in early 98 (yep nine years I had nothing but an NES for gaming). And lucky me, one of the games available to rent at my small mountain town grocery store (If you've seen Star Trek Enterprise, you've seen it) was Mega Man X2.

So yeah, it was my first X game, and I'll always like it the best (at least out of the SNES trilogy). I would eventually get X1 and X3. X1 was still a fine start to the series, but X3 was weak imo. Just didn't really have the wow factor outside of playing as Zero. I've recently tried that Zero hack from X3 and it's great, not quite as smooth as X4 but it was better than what we got.

Megaman X3 is horrible and they should feel bad.

Of course the best way to play 3 is to play the PSX version.

The stage design is stupid, half the weapons almost work the same. Enemies hitboxes are all over the place. Boss hitboxes are all over the place. Half the armor abilities are useless. I mean I guess combining buster shots is cool but it really doesn't do anything at all.

Speaking of armor, the SUPER ARMOR, you can get, which you can only get one of, granted you can go to another SUPER capsule and switch them out. But you have to go all the way back through a level. It's a pointless system. There is a secret gold armor you can use hidden in Dopplers stage they give zero hints of (neither for the Super Armors either) that combines all 4 super armors but if you already saved after getting one that capsule won't appear, because you already got one so time to reset the game! BTW, you need to be at full health for the gold armor to appear as well.

There are so many secrets that require you to use zero logic, even if you are actively looking for out of the way secret paths.

But and Byte and Vile can all die, good thing they tell you, granted, if you kill them they are replaced by worse enemies in the fortress stage. But of course you have to kill all 3 (or at least Vile) if you want to get the true ending. You know using Zero, which itself most people likely won't know, who can't go through checkpoint doors, to GO THROUGH a checkpoint door in the fortress stage, then die and give you his saber, giving you the real ending cutscene.

Although their hitboxes are wonky, if you have their weakness half the bosses just float left and right.

The game starts you off severely weak. An attack by a common enemy may take off almost half your health bar. You literally are gimped beyond any other Megaman X game. You will likely be trying to get the first weapon so you can have at least some offense while getting hammered. You'll likely be searching actively for the body armor or/and heart tanks. This game starts out full of crap but becomes pretty easy later on.

BTW Bit and Byte fights involve attacks that are hard to dodge because you are in small rooms that are smaller than the rooms you fight them in the fortress, and their sprites are way to big.

About half the stages you have to backtrack at least 3 times to get all the items.

OH NO! MAC WHY YOU BETRAY US ESTABLISHED MEGAMAN X CHARACTER FROM 5 seconds ago! REMEMBER WHEN WE FIRST ME 5 seconds ago! WHY MAC WHY!???

(sings) WIILLL YOUUU REMEMBER MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

R,I.P. MAC, Intro of X3 to 78 seconds into the game.

mmx3mac.jpg

Remember the good times when you paralyzed X and then kidnapped him and then Zero ha-

Wait what, fuck you mac you piece of crap.

(BTW this is not the first time they do this. They did it with Shadow in Command Mission as well)

Top Bottom