• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X4 - Zero Rising

RK128

mega-man-x4-usa.jpg

This continues my ongoing Mega Man Retrospective and since I covered MM4, lets move to the fourth Mega Man X title! Man, this game is a massive one. It brings a lot to the X series in major ways; new gameplay style, updated presentation, and anime cut-scenes. We even get insight on backstory of Zero!

Mega Man X4 is my favorite Mega Man X title and I can't wait to explain why this is such a fun action platformer.

History:
This game has a simple history, with the developers trying to make a great sequel to the fun Mega Man X3. One thing they set out to do was make Zero playable, but work different compared to X. In Mega Man X3, he was more of an 'extra' character with larger health and a stronger Mega Buster.

mmx3-4.png

In X4, they made him play COMPLETELY different from X and it shows, but will get to that in the gameplay portion.

The rest of the history follows here thanks to the game's Wikipedia Page:
"Mega Man X4 was developed by Capcom. Instead of designing the game's various pieces of artwork as he had done in the past, Keiji Inafune focused his attention on being a producer. He was also involved in creating the game's storyline, a role he described as "only slightly less than it was for X1". Instead of presenting Repliforce as blatantly evil villains like Sigma, the writing staff decided to leave them some "moral leeway. They did not want the ideals of Repliforce and the Maverick Hunters to be so black-and-white. Inafune left his former design responsibilities up to other artists that had previously worked on the Mega Man X series. Artist Haruki Suetsugu did not design its characters as he would do for later games in the series, but was given drafts in order to draw illustrations for promotional purposes. Hitoshi Ariga was responsible for designing X's secret "Ultimate Armor" featured in both the game and as a Japanese Bandai action figure. He spent four days coming up with the initial blueprint, but was told by his supervisor to go back and try again. After tinkering with the Mega Man X3 armor parts, he noticed that attaching them in specific ways made it look like an airplane. Ariga recounted creating the armor as an extremely difficult yet fun task. He also revealed that Zero was intended to have his own Ultimate Armor, but the development team chose to not finalize it."

So the focus on making a more realistic story with the Repliforce and not making things so black-and-white was important for the development team. The game released in August 1, 1997 to critical success with high reviews and people loving the game. The cut-scenes were made fun of in the western versions though.....but we will get to that soon enough.

The game also saw release on other platformers, like the Sega Saturn the same year, 2006's MMX Collection on PS2/GC, and most recently in 2014 on North American PlayStation Network (with support on PS3, PSP and PS Vita).

Story:
The plot has X and Zero head out to protect a city from attack with it sadly being destroyed by unknown forces. A army of Repolids called the Repliforce come storming in to help but then get labelled as Mavericks due to people thinking they caused the attack.

hqdefault.jpg

They revolt and send members of their armies across the world to take over the world. In the shadows, a familiar face is pulling the strings *cough* Sigma *cough* and X & Zero have to save the world yet again.

Picture+42.png

But things are different this time out......while X just goes out to stop Sigma from ruining things as usually, Zero has a much more larger tale. We get insight on his history before becoming a Maverick Hunter, his relation to Sigma, WHY Sigma became so evil and most importantly, hints toward Zero's true origins as the game progresses.

hqdefault.jpg

Even Marvericks have more personality, with X & Zero having fun dialog's with the different hunters when they meet them. Overall the story is enjoyable and I really like how strong it is. But, what makes it gold, is the voice acting. The NA voice actors for the game are.....amazing.

We have a young boy voice X, some whinny guy voice Zero and we get the infamous statement.
"What am I fighting FOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRR!?!?" - Zero

Love the story in the game and the bad voice acting makes it even better.

But toward the ends of the thread, I saw this amazing post breaking down everything for the story in both X's and Zero's plot lines, so will be putting that in the OP. Thank you so much Edson for the detailed breakdown on the plot! Great work!

Megaman X4's plot captures that perfectly. Inafune wanted X4 to place importance or Zero and his backstory along with Iris and Colonel, yet everything around that is basically nothing. 80% of the plot of the game is on X's side of the story. The ending of X's story, though both playthroughs before the end seem to be canonical in certain ways, seem to be the canon as well.

First off stage design seem to favor Zero for progression (in most cases) while favoring X for everything else like hidden paths short cuts, etc.

The Boss Battles were built with X in mind. Outside maybe Colonel.

Sigma seems to be built with Zero in mind as well.

But the main thing is that X's Dialogue with everyone in the game and Zeros are completely different. And seems to be based on Capcoms own spin based on the writers and the double producers.

• In Megaman X's story, X mentioned that humans may die and people die after Sky lagoon falls.
  • Split Mushroom actually tells X he's under orders to Destroy Him and X says "who" and Split says "Take a wild guess" indicating Sigma is involved and half the Repliforce are mavericks. While Split is just there to fight Zero.
  • Cyber Peacock actually tells X he was ordered to test X's abilities through his level. Also that X had limitless power.
  • Only to X does Magma Dragoon say HE made the Sky Lagoon fall. Said basically Sigma offered him a chance to fight X if he pretended to join Repliforce. Literally, just to fight X.
  • Double cements the Sigma intrusion by killing hunters and revealing he's a spy.
  • The difference between the X and Double fight and the Zero and Iris fight is amazing. Zero find Iris and just is like "hey" and Iris is like "You killed my brother it's over" and then Zero kills her and she's like "I wanted to believe" and Zero is like "what am i fighting foorrrrrrrrrr!" and that's it. While Double actually confirms that there are Actually mavericks, that them, hunters, and Repliforce were intentionally pitted against each other, and again, he was a spy.
  • The General is another one. With Zero he's just like "General people died" then General says "I have no regrets less fight" Then the weapon activates on the satellite. While in X's story General actually tells X the goal is to build a utopia for Reploids and any interference will be stopped. X says that the fighting is mindless, which it is, and General says that they have no choice but to fight because they have been labeled mavericks. The General even tells X when the laserr activates that HE should hurry up and stop it and X says he'll stop it. While Zero just ends with General saying "oh no someones controlling the laser"
  • Sigma is the biggest issue, you get a cutscene with Zero and Sigma showing Zero was a maverick even though that he transferred the Virus to Sigma and then it just ends and you go to the final boss room, while Sigma literally tells X, "Double did a good job we got the Hunters and Repliforce to kill each other", which makes Double more important to the plot than Iris, Sigma also tell you Repliforce built the weapon and he intended to use it to destroy the Earth.

I mean that's like 80% of the plot. If you play as Zero all you get is literally Zero knows the Colonel and Iris is his sister, he likes his sister, Repliforce goes on a coup, He kills Colonel and Iris, Sigma reveal some info about Zeros' past and that's it.

X's story literally has the whole main plot of the game you are currently playing. You would have Zero idea of what's going on.

This happened in X5 as well

• Grizzly Slash (yes I'm going to use the Gun and roses names) Actually tells X he is slowly being infected by the virus, and that he wants to fight before he has no control over his mind, while he just wants to attack Zero just because.
  • Squid guy's actual motivation for quitting the hunters is because X killed Launch octopus and then he slowly goes crazy. While he mentions quitting the hunters to Zero but for no reason.
  • Izzy Glow tells Zero he wants to analyze Zero and X through battle since he is about to be taken over by the Virus. But actually makes a comment about the rough entrance you had to make since the start of the level blowing up bridges and doors, and X says it's because the whole lab is infected. He then says he won't cooperate with hunters, and says that he may be wrong but he won't make up his mind and fights X.
  • Duff Mcwhalen tells Zero to fight him because why not. While he tells X either if you haven't launched the laser that he won't let you take control of the sea without fighting him. or if you already launched the laser, that the sea is infected by the Virus and he wants to meet the same fate.
  • Both X vs. Zero fights have info you won't ever see if you are not Zero in this fight.

• Sigma in the final boss tells X that an old man who i would assume is Wily but we see no from of him at all, Not only built his body, but also that the virus at the start of the game taking over the world was not significant enough and that he had to make the colony hit the ground. oddly he says this if you actually destroy the Colony to. He even tells X, unlike Zero, that the old man build multiple robots, that they knew eachother and they both hate X.

Gameplay:
Well, its more Mega Man X. Iconic jumping, dashing and shooting robots and Mavericks that get in your way across colorful and well designed stages. But, what makes this different is how the little things work.

MMX41.png

X has two different types of arm cannons he can pick up from Dr. Light and his special weapons are mapped to /\. Outside of that, his upwards Air-Dash is sadly gone from X3 and the Ride Armors only come in one style. Though the Jet-Bikes are back from X2 and they are a lot more fun to use compared to that game!

latest

Zero is where everything changes, with his gameplay being completely unique from X. Zero has his Z-Saber and can learn different abilities when beating robot masters, not outright having new 'cannon weapons'. So, instead of shooting a fireball upward, you have a fire sword uppercut. Instead of shooting a electric web, you have a powerful forward lighting strike. This continues and it makes Zero more of a fighting game character then a platforming hero.

piq_269814_400x400.png

The best part about the game is that every level is designed for BOTH X and Zero. Nothing is that different for each character and it allows the game to work on a Sonic 3 & Knuckles style level. You have these different styles to play as, but they function evenly.

Level Design:
Very strong with great usage of themes. You have the fire level but flaming rocks keep getting close to you, they are destroying your grounding and pillars of flames are over your head. The Ice stage works great too, with ice blocks, well, blocking your path and the ice making movement more slippery.

mmx4bike.gif

This continues with a cyber space stage that pushes you to have a literal time attack and by doing so, you can get more goodies for X (heart tank, Dr. Light Armor upgrade).

Love these stages as both characters. The bosses have great designs and patterns too. While they are easy with the weakness, they are very hard with Zero and this makes fights fun. A new play style & classic Mega Man challenge? I'm game!

My favorite fights are with Split Mushroom and Jet Stingray. Not to mention, the game has its own Street Fighter character. Yes, Magma Dragoon might as well be a dragon version of Ryu with fireballs and uppercuts making him quite the foe to fight for either character.

magma_dragoon_by_ultimatemaverickx-d7ljwuq.png

X knows some of those moves though, as X and X2 prove.

Sigma Fortress:
This section of the game is fun, they are hard but fair. You have options to take the upper or lower paths, great visual design and some great fights against a number of foes. Fighting the Repliforce Leader, Ires (Zero) or Double (X) are some of the most fun fights in the X series.

The final fight against Sigma is quite hard too but was fun.

maxresdefault.jpg

Presentation:
The game looks great with really detailed sprites, strong animation work and great designs for characters old and new. Love the little details in every stage and the Ice Level has some nice nods to X1 and X3.

Then we get the anime cut-scenes and history on that is here:
"The FMV cutscenes in Mega Man X4 were produced by IG Port's subsidiary XEBEC. The game's musical score was composed by Toshihiko Horiyama. The score also features the opening theme Makenai Ai ga Kitto aru (負けない愛がきっとある?, lit. "Unbeatable Love I Surely Have") and the closing theme One More Chance, both sung by Yukie Nakama."

Musically, the game rocks, man. You have wonderful Intro Stage theme for X and the other stages have catchy themes too. Not as memorable as X1 or X2, but still really great sounding tracks.

Player Select: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V96NPJ5jPU0&index=2&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK
Opening Level (X): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EceE4uc3DeU&index=4&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK
EREGION THEME: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMI3r4G4yxU&index=6&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK
Stage Select: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3YFjBID83o&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK&index=3
Colonel And General: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzB4P7T8edQ&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK&index=18
Final Weapon Stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZICFT-BxI&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK&index=23
Web Spider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu9Zel0NYU&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK&index=8
Cyber Peacock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGUVUDEeyA&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK&index=9
Magma Dragoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odgb3Pqqtvw&index=11&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK
Frost Walrus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYb1dvQe3as&index=16&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK

Overall:
This is a wonderful Mega Man X adventure and one I highly recommend any fan of the series give a look. Zero gives the game a lot of replay value and the core game is fun as X OR Zero.

I'm hammering this point home as X6 will make this a major talking point. Overall, lovely game and recommend everyone gives this a shot!

latest

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
X4 is my favorite Mega Man game, and one of my favorite games, period. Both X and Zero are incredibly fun to play as. X4 has the best control, some of the best music, and the best power-ups.

I like the Saturn version the best.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One of the best Mega Man games, and best 2D action games, period. Zero's story really went places in this game. It's just too bad that X's seemed to suffer compared to Zero's. I love the armor upgrades in his game, though. Might be my favorite X armor (and it was even good enough to show up in the next game!)

Kent

My favorite Mega Man X game. The very different gameplay paradigm of Zero compared to X made for a refreshing change that ended up being my favorite way to play it.

This is easily one of the most played games I have for my Saturn - I almost know the whole game like the back of my hand.

alf717

X4 is on the easy side. First X game I did a no upgraded armor run with. Also the birth of having to mash through constant text bubbles. Made much worse in X5 and X6. Tons of memorable music and all around great game. I prefer the Saturn version with proper looped music and its other minor perks.

RK128

X4 is on the easy side. First X game I did a no upgraded armor run with. Also the birth of having to mash through constant text bubbles. Made much worse in X5 and X6. Tons of memorable music and all around great game. I prefer the Saturn version with proper looped music and its other minor perks.

Those never bothered me here......but will have a field day commenting on that with X5 and X6. More so in X6, as its a HUGE problem there (but the game has a ton of issues, but thats for another time).

RK128

Actually, Magma Dragoon is based on Akuma, who practices a more violent variant of Ryu's fighting style. http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Akuma?file=Akumaart.jpg

Look at their necks; Dragoon has Akuma's beads. Not only that, but they have similar motives; Magma dragoon defected and went evil to become stronger. Same thing with Akuma.

It's a nice Easter Egg, really.

Not a big Street Fighter guy, so sorry if my comment on that wasn't correct. But good catch, always good to be informed :D!

One of the best Mega Man games, and best 2D action games, period. Zero's story really went places in this game. It's just too bad that X's seemed to suffer compared to Zero's. I love the armor upgrades in his game, though. Might be my favorite X armor (and it was even good enough to show up in the next game!)

Primarily because level design was based on X's moveset, and Zero's increasing moveset took a steaming dump on the game balance. This becomes more of a problem in X5.

Crocodile

I appreciated some of the extra backstory that this game delves into but I though the primary story was awful. Basically nothing the Maverick Hunters or the Repliforce did made any sense and all the fights were completely unnecessary. The narrative was dumb in a way I felt wasn't true in X1-X3. In trying for a "deeper" plot, they just wrote it poorly. I also really didn't like how the levels were now segmented rather than continuous. That affected level design in ways I really didn't like. Also, which goes without saying, the English VA work was atrocious. Those complaints aside, I did like this game quite a bit. I dunno if it tops X1 or X2 though. Zero being his own full character was sweet but a lot of the presentation "upgrades" weren't very big upgrades in the grand scheme of things.

ZangBa

My favorite X game, I even like the corny anime cutscenes. My only problem with X4 is it's almost too good.

I can't wait for the X6 thread, I actually like X6 a lot, probably my 3rd favorite.

My favourite X game as well. I had the Japanese Saturn version so I did not understand the story at all but the gameplay was awesome. it was really fun playing as zero with a different playstyle.

I think this one has the best gameplay of all, but the the story was all over the place. Zero's left me dumbfounded. I thought that maybe I wasn't used to dark storylines but I replayed it a couple of years ago and it still left me scratching my head. Where is all of this darkness coming from? Who knows, who cares, this is the way they wanted to go and nobody could stop them.

Favorite X game. I kinda consider 4 my lucky number.

Favorite set of Mavericks, loved having bosses talk to me during fights, best OST, the graphics were so vibrant and animated it felt like controlling a cartoon, the most stylish looking bosses, Zero gave a completely new yet perfectly natural way to play, and the cutscenes added an interesting dynamic to the standard Mega Man plot.

Though now I also associate it with being the point when Zero solidified his status as the unofficial real lead to the X series.

Such a fantastic game. Looks amazing (Web Spider stage looks so good still, that water!), plays amazing. Love X's upgraded charge shot in this game, so satisfying to use. And there's even infinite weapon ammo. Definitely one of my favorite armors in the series.

It's also amazing how much they nailed Zero's controls and feel. The multihit hitstun from the saber feels so damn good and giving him command attacks instead of depletable weapons was a genius move to keep him unique. Only the Zero/ZX games do the melee controls better.

My only problem with this game is the Jet Stingray stage, which I think is a waste of a stage slot... Autoscrolling vehicle stages have never been a high point in the series. This one in particular is way too short and I'd still rather just have fun with the amazing platforming controls than have to dodge insta-death obstacles in a vehcile that can only jump and shoot.

Other than that, one of the best games in the series. It's so polished. The music is fantastic as well.

ZeroCDR

Among my favorite Mega Man games period, Zero is a beast. Very well designed and just the right difficulty. Great write-up as always :)

RK128

Among my favorite Mega Man games period, Zero is a beast. Very well designed and just the right difficulty. Great write-up as always :)

Thank you :D! Hoped I did a better job here then my MM4 Retrospective I put out early today (as I had a rough time getting through that one honestly).

Manu

My first Mega Man game, so I love it for it. But yeah, it's on the shorter and easier side.

Also, WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOR?

Syril

It's kinda funny how Zero is practically the main character considering how broken X is in this game. Seriously, what were they thinking with the Plasma Buster?

I didn't know Hitoshi Ariga designed the Ultimate Armor. Have you read the Megamix/Gigamix manga he did for the classic series? It's pretty awesome.

That English dub was certainly something else. Zero's voice actor from X8 and Maverick Hunter X actually voiced Zero again for some fan redubs of some of the cutscenes.
http://youtu.be/WgRX38ucT_c
http://youtu.be/36A8zG80Ucw
http://youtu.be/Oc6_c1skpI8

Rambaldi

I'm in the minority here but I thought and still think X4 is incredibly overrated. I've never found Zero to be an engaging character and I hated the focus he got in this game. Playing as him was alright but they just shit on X from here out. We get it, Inafune. You love Zero. (I respect the man greatly and told him that when I met him a few years back!)

I actually like X5 way more than X4. That's my favorite PS1 X game.

RK128

It's kinda funny how Zero is practically the main character considering how broken X is in this game. Seriously, what were they thinking with the Plasma Buster?

I didn't know Hitoshi Ariga designed the Ultimate Armor. Have you read the Megamix/Gigamix manga he did for the classic series? It's pretty awesome.

That English dub was certainly something else. Zero's voice actor from X8 and Maverick Hunter X actually voiced Zero again for some fan redubs of some of the cutscenes.
http://youtu.be/WgRX38ucT_c
http://youtu.be/36A8zG80Ucw
http://youtu.be/Oc6_c1skpI8

This is amazing, never thought that the Zero VA from MMX8 and Maverick Hunter X would voice those scenes in the future :D! That was a treat to see, thank you so much man, makes those cut-scenes even better then before!

RK128

I'm in the minority here but I thought and still think X4 is incredibly overrated. I've never found Zero to be an engaging character and I hated the focus he got in this game. Playing as him was alright but they just shit on X from here out. We get it, Inafune. You love Zero. (I respect the man greatly and told him that when I met him a few years back!)

I actually like X5 way more than X4. That's my favorite PS1 X game.

Outside of some odd randomization with Zero/Ending, X5 is a fantastic game too and will go over that when I get to it :). I do agree, the focus on Zero for the X series post SNES is a shame.

At least X4 & X5 work great as X titles and X8 being a damn good time for all three playable characters.

TreIII

Overall, I like the game, but it wouldn't be in my top three of the X series, much less the entire MM series.

First of all, the game was a bit too easy. Once you know what to do, X can tear through the game pretty effectively even without a single armor upgrade, and Zero just makes the game a total joke, even without the aid of tricks like Dash Cancelling (where in you can cancel the first hit of his basic saber combo with a dash repeatedly to get around a foe's invincibility frames; this basic trick worked for the entire PSX trilogy).

And on the other hand, I also thought this was the game that started many of the X games' ills that only went downhill from here. EXTENSIVE dialog boxes to click through. Mandatory bike/vehicles sections. Hammy storytelling that seemed to get worse as the team got more technology to tell it with. End game sections that can just draaaaaaaaaag on, and really make it feel like the game is overstaying its welcome.

It just makes X4 seem like the harbinger that signaled the series' fall from grace.

chaosaeon

Platinum blonde Zero with black armor. So good. Also, infinite slashing combo by cancelling his slashes or finishing the combos with boss powers.

Rambaldi

Make it three.

X5 Defense Force, assemble.

I mean, I'm actually replaying X4 on my Vita but I just can't get into it even after all these years. I think part of it is how the story is divided (same with X5 and X6, actually). Like, X and Zero don't feel like a team anymore. Xtreme 2 is probably the game that got their teamwork down the best but I think X8 did a good job with that too.

I just want my X series back. (And Legends 3 ofc)

DarkKyo

All I really remember from this game is how terrible the voice acting was, in English anyways. Also Double, for some reason his design is super memorable for me.
Nq8Ldwf.jpg

It's basically fat, yellow mega man.

Rambaldi

All I really remember from this game is how terrible the voice acting was, in English anyways. Also Double, for some reason his design is super memorable for me.
Nq8Ldwf.jpg

I love fat Double. I wish his name wasn't so telling and he actually stuck around. :(

RK128

Nq8Ldwf.jpg

His design always looked cool; just some nice helper robot wanting to assist X on his latest adventure :).

Shame he turned traitor toward the end of X's story but he does need some kind of conflict outside of 'Stop Sigma!'.

SkyOdin

And on the other hand, I also thought this was the game that started many of the X games' ills that only went downhill from here. EXTENSIVE dialog boxes to click through. Mandatory bike/vehicles sections. Hammy storytelling that seemed to get worse as the team got more technology to tell it with. End game sections that can just draaaaaaaaaag on, and really make it feel like the game is overstaying its welcome.

It just makes X4 seem like the harbinger that signaled the series' fall from grace.

I will disagree with you there. Sure, those things did become problems to various degrees in future games in the series, but they all work great in X4 itself. Furthermore, just as much as it set up some of the disappointing PS1 MMX games, it also set the stage for the outstanding Zero and ZX games.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the ending parts of X4 drag on. It probably has the shortest fortress stages of any Mega Man game. I think the ending segments of X4 have really quick pacing. X4 just also happens to have one of the toughest final boss fights of any Mega Man game.

RK128

I will disagree with you there. Sure, those things did become problems to various degrees in future games in the series, but they all work great in X4 itself. Furthermore, just as much as it set up some of the disappointing PS1 MMX games, it also set the stage for the outstanding Zero and ZX games.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the ending parts of X4 drag on. It probably has the shortest fortress stages of any Mega Man game. I think the ending segments of X4 have really quick pacing. X4 just also happens to have one of the toughest final boss fights of any Mega Man game.

This was one of the first Mega Man games (outside of MM2 and MMX) that I sat down and fully beat years back; that has to mean something to me.

The bolded I completely agree with, while the game leads to some X5's annoying Aliea Hints (shame it makes her annoying, as she is a great character) and the being a core foundation (gameplay wise) for the 'mixed' X6......X4 on its own is the best of the PS1 MMX games (next to the PS1 version of MMX3 and MMX5).

TreIII

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the ending parts of X4 drag on.

Largely with respect to the forced narrative bits that broke up the action, mainly. And with the load times in that era being as they were, it was quite a bit more noticeable when you're just trying to skip over dialogue and any FMV cuts that cropped up in between, on successive playthroughs.

And again, it was just something that I felt got even WORSE as X games went on.

Just started a playthrough of X4 as Zero, and yeesh. Idk if it's playing Zero without his full moveset, or my skills got rusty, but some of the levels sucked as Zero whereas it was fun with X.

This midboss in particular can go kiss my ass.

I don't recall having this much of an issue when I played as X.

Yo, Frost Walrus's 2nd stage music is sooooooooooooooo good.

Capcom composers got some silky smooth synth in the late nineties.

Don't really have much to say about the rest of the game except the music that Saltybet turned me on to.

DPtheGod

I love your MMX threads. I am a big fan of the series. 4 was one of my favorites. I was never able to beat it with Zero before, though... I should retry now that I am older.

Also. Fuck Inafune.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nq8Ldwf.jpg

I actually LOVED this dude's English VA, both as his dorky self and his evil self. That scene when he goes nuts is cemented as one of the coolest cutscenes my young gaming self encountered. Sure, it's super cheesy, but it caught me totally off guard the first time since he was so likable in his fat yellow form. I love the delivery of his line, "nothing to worry about." I also loved his moveset and over-the-top chaotic battle theme.

Big0Bear

Truly the best X game had great music bosses animation. I still play that game every couple of years for the hell of it

SkyOdin

I actually LOVED this dude's English VA, both as his dorky self and his evil self. That scene when he goes nuts is cemented as one of the coolest cutscenes my young gaming self encountered. Sure, it's super cheesy, but it caught me totally off guard the first time since he was so likable in his fat yellow form. I love the delivery of his line, "nothing to worry about." I also loved his moveset and over-the-top chaotic battle theme.

As much flak as this game's voice acting rightfully gets, I am still a fan of some of the completely hammy villain lines. Double and Sigma are just plain fun to listen to in their fights. Sigma's one-liners in the final battle are classics.

SolVanderlyn

As much flak as this game's voice acting rightfully gets, I am still a fan of some of the completely hammy villain lines. Double and Sigma are just plain fun to listen to in their fights. Sigma's one-liners in the final battle are classics.
I'M GONNA RECYCLE YOU

I agree

Top Bottom