• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadrive mini, gets another wave of official hardware addons

Impotaku

Seems Sega was not totally content with just releasing the tower of power addon for the megadrive mini there is now a powerbase converter with a selection of carts/mkIII cards to decorate your megadrive mini with. It's strictly decorational there is no function to play any new games with it just so people are aware.

Out oct 21st for 4980yen
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B097PS85MF/

71V1xiF2sYS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71Ket2aEMAS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Official section on the sega md mini website
https://sega.jp/mdmini/index.html#content_5

Last edited:

Impotaku

Do they work on eu consoles and where can I buy fake mini sega cartridges?
Seeing as the shape of the consoles are identical across all regions it will physically fit fine. As for carts the set comes with some carts to plug in but i don't know if the labels will already be on or you'll get a selection of stickers so you can choose what to make your games into. You'll at least get one blank MKIII cart and a MKIII gamecard.

I'm sure closer to release sega will tell more, as a set it seems pretty pricey it costs more than the tower of power set did so i'm wondering if there's more to the set than they have let on so far, literally found out about this an hour ago as i randomly browsed twitter.

JSoup

Banned
Was really hoping that I'd open this thread to see a mini-Sega CD and mini-32X.
So then we can have a mini-tower of power.

Impotaku

Neat, i wasn't aware that the tower of power set was released outside of japan. What region is that set? i know megadrive is euro region but i never saw the addon set in the uk.

AREYOUOKAY?

Well okay I know it doesn't play games but why not just make a Master System mini instead? Sure it's not the most popular Sega system but I'm sure some would want it if it offers enough.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
This is cool, albeit I would prefer the ability to buy more games for the device whilst connected to the PC (they could update the firmware I'm sure, if hackers can...), I did the whole piracy thing (had like a couple country MD and SNES games on their), but felt bad, getting a hold of the full library in a legit way would be legit, do they not like money? Also if they update their games with cool new features or put in some modding tools, they would win the internet!

Meanwhile, Nintendo doesn't even sell the SNES Mini anymore, probably to artificially drive up the prices of their games, sound familiar? Seriously, I'm not paying a couple hundred for something that should be no more than 40 squid!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Needs Sonic # + Sonic & Knuckles at least to complete the tower. Edit: oh, it has Sonic & Knuckles in the sets above :messenger_ok:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Agent X

It's just a fun piece of plastic, it doesn't actually play games.

While it's cool that Sega did this as fan service, the concept could've been taken to the next level if the "peripherals" contained some additional games for the Genesis Mini. For example, if you connect the Sega CD, it would add a few Sega CD games to the menu.

Top Bottom