• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legacy Collection |OT| One "Mighty" Collection

Sciz

So, I've never played a classic Mega Man before, but I consider myself pretty good at 2D platformers (I was eventually able to beat every level in both Rayman games, including the crazy treasure chest levels in Origins). What order should I play these games in? Basically, 1 and then 2 or 2 and then 1?

1 is kind of rough compared to the rest, but if you're planning to play them all anyway, you might as well go with release order and see how the series evolved over time.

Sheytan

This is an awesome, awesome collection. I'm so glad this turned out so well :] This is the definitive way to play these games, I can forget I own the rather low-quality Anniversary Collection. Also, Mega Man is finally on PC! :p You guys complaining about controllers can play it on PC with any Nintendo controller. I'm playing with this, though:

en-INTL_L_Xbox360_Hori_Gem_Pad_Diamond_Clear_FLF-00143_mnco.jpg

The d-pad is glorious, Hori always makes great d-pads.

It requires third party apps though, the game only detects gamepads that is xinput compatible.

Petrae

Glad I checked into this thread before buying on a whim. Negative impressions of PS4 version have me yellow-lighting a purchase until (if?) the bugs get resolved.

leroidys

Wow that is awful... Airman wasn't in Mega Man 3!

Which has a workaround that was already posted. Honestly, due to the nature of the workaround, it seems it didn't get proper testing on Windows 10.

I got really bad/inconsistent performance with the workaround. I just got a refund until they patch it. It's far from a minor inconvenience.

I'm wondering what other NES games Capcom can remaster and release as collections. Looking through their NES catalog, taking out MM 1-6, licensed games, and Japan-only releases, you're left with:

1943: The Battle of Midway
Bionic Commando
Code Name: Viper
Commando
Destiny of an Emperor
Destiny of an Emperor II
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gun.Smoke
Legendary Wings
Mighty Final Fight
Section Z
Snow Brothers
SonSon
Street Fighter 2010
Strider
Trojan

Gargoyle's Quest 2 is a spin-off of Ghosts 'n Goblins, so those two can be packed together. Add in Strider and Bionic Command and you've got a set of 4 action platformers. Can't really think of any other collections, though.

Half of these are available in the form of their superior arcade versions in the excellent Capcom Arcade Collection (which went on sale today on PSN). I would buy the shit out of Strider/Bionic Commando/Gargoyle's Quest 2 if they did those though.

leroidys

This is an awesome, awesome collection. I'm so glad this turned out so well :] This is the definitive way to play these games, I can forget I own the rather low-quality Anniversary Collection. Also, Mega Man is finally on PC! :p You guys complaining about controllers can play it on PC with any Nintendo controller. I'm playing with this, though:

en-INTL_L_Xbox360_Hori_Gem_Pad_Diamond_Clear_FLF-00143_mnco.jpg

The d-pad is glorious, Hori always makes great d-pads.

Eh, NES/famicom is still definitive, but this will be a close second once they deal with the bugs. Clearly it's much better than the PS1 and GC/XBOX/PS2 versions.

sörine

Banned
I'm wondering what other NES games Capcom can remaster and release as collections. Looking through their NES catalog, taking out MM 1-6, licensed games, and Japan-only releases, you're left with:

Bionic Commando
Commando
Destiny of an Emperor
Destiny of an Emperor II
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gun.Smoke
Legendary Wings
Mighty Final Fight
Section Z
Snow Brothers
SonSon
Street Fighter 2010
Strider
Trojan

Gargoyle's Quest 2 is a spin-off of Ghosts 'n Goblins, so those two can be packed together. Add in Strider and Bionic Command and you've got a set of 4 action platformers. Can't really think of any other collections, though.
Capcom presents The Disney Legacy Collection.

RM8

Eh, NES/famicom is still definitive, but this will be a close second once they deal with the bugs. Clearly it's much better than the PS1 and GC/XBOX/PS2 versions.
It's really nice not having to worry about faulty cartridges and consoles, though, let alone needing an old TV. This is great for preservation.

It requires third party apps though, the game only detects gamepads that is xinput compatible.
Well, the option is there! :p And you can always buy something like this:

Zia

Mega Man down.

Bionic Commando
Commando
Destiny of an Emperor
Destiny of an Emperor II
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gun.Smoke
Legendary Wings
Mighty Final Fight
Section Z
Snow Brothers
SonSon
Street Fighter 2010
Strider
Trojan

Well, here's a quote from a recent USgamer interview:

USG: Is there any particular reason that Mega Man is the initial/inaugural outing for this kind of tech or is it just happenstance?

Rey: We absolutely went through our entire library figuring out what we're going to do first. What's the best way to get this product out? And to be completely honest, we were talking about Capcom's 8-bit library as a package, and Mega Man makes sense. Don't get us wrong, Capcom loves Mega Man and other IPs as well. It's just the one that made the most sense. What do we want to work with? What are the fans, what is the largest audience really going to latch on to? Because if we did another one, say if we did a Disney IP, not everyone knows Little Mermaid, but kids nod at Mega Man. They go, "I know that guy." So Mega Man is just a bigger deal for us and totally makes sense from our perspective.

Which is not to say they're doing a Disney collection, but The Little Mermaid is a weird one to drop and Disney seems more and more willing to license if they think the project worthwhile. A Disney collection would be pretty cool as all of that stuff has been unavailable since their proper NES releases, and that WayForward DuckTales remake was not a substitute for the original.

That said, I'd like it if Digital Eclipse worked on more than Capcom stuff initially and Mike Mika kind of hinted in the podcast posted in this thread that one of the projects in the works might be something from a different platform other than NES.

SkyOdin

So, I've never played a classic Mega Man before, but I consider myself pretty good at 2D platformers (I was eventually able to beat every level in both Rayman games, including the crazy treasure chest levels in Origins). What order should I play these games in? Basically, 1 and then 2 or 2 and then 1?

I don't think it really matters. The best way to explore a Mega Man game is to pick a stage, try it, and see if you can beat it. If you can't, move on to a different stage and try your luck there. I don't see why you can't apply that same logic to the games themselves.

BTW, to all those people abusing the pause glitch, I highly recommend that you eventually try fighting the Yellow Devil without the pause glitch. Ultimately, it is a really straightforward fight, since the boss only has one attack pattern it repeats over and over again. If you learn how to dodge that one pattern correctly, you can beat the boss so long as you don't mess up. It is hard mostly because of two things: it is long and grueling, and the attack pattern has a bit of trick to it. There is a point where you are guaranteed to be hit by a block if you jump to your full jump height over a certain block. So, you need to do a short hop rather than a full jump. Remember, Mega Man only gains height as long as you hold the jump button down. So, you can control your jumps with a fair degree of precision with some practice.

Just played this for about an hour on steam and it's pretty great. I'm almost done with MM2 and I tried a bunch of the challenges out. For veterans of the series', I'd say that the challenges are the real meat of this package and are really fun to find new strategies to finish them as fast as possible. I also haven't encountered any real glitches or problems yet, so I hope that continues.

Also, anyone know the gold time for the green dragon fight? I beat him in 30.03 and I will be so pissed if the gold time is under 30 seconds lol.

Even though I managed a full playthrough of 1-6 about 2 years ago, I forgot how annoying hard this is. I'm at like 3 game overs just on Mega Man 1 about 2 hours in.

BTW, to all those people abusing the pause glitch, I highly recommend that you eventually try fighting the Yellow Devil without the pause glitch. Ultimately, it is a really straightforward fight, since the boss only has one attack pattern it repeats over and over again. If you learn how to dodge that one pattern correctly, you can beat the boss so long as you don't mess up. It is hard mostly because of two things: it is long and grueling, and the attack pattern has a bit of trick to it. There is a point where you are guaranteed to be hit by a block if you jump to your full jump height over a certain block. So, you need to do a short hop rather than a full jump. Remember, Mega Man only gains height as long as you hold the jump button down. So, you can control your jumps with a fair degree of precision with some practice.

I'm dreading this again. I did it the correct way before, but it took me like 6 hours. Hopefully I don't take that long again.

desmax

This is my first time playing these games, and I'm starting with the first one.
I'll try to do it normally, but the X5 Yellow Devil still gives me nightmares

Hey guys, can we get a running list of bugs here? Will forward to Brett and Frank.

Just finished part 5. It was pretty good, except for two things:

1. After you select your stage and your robot master does his pose, it seems that the animation goes in slow mo. Yet, when you fight him face to face, the speed is regular

2. The screeching with Protomans whistle is in part 5 as well.

On to the finale!

desmax

This is my first time playing these games, and I'm starting with the first one.
I'll try to do it normally, but the X5 Yellow Devil still gives me nightmares

Eh, fuck it, used the glitch.
I just kept assuming that Megaman could crouch

Dominator

I've honestly never played a Mega Man game in my life, can't wait to try this and see how horrendous I am at it. Waiting for the physical, hope it's worth it.

Also, this may sound funny, but in MM3 the controls seemed off by a split second if that makes sense. Not Complete Works laggy, but noticeable coming from Megaman 1 and 2 before this...

Following up on this. You sure the controls aren't just a bit different? I only ask since in 1 and 2 he moved an extra pixel or so on landing and that stopped from 3 on.

I guess I'm hoping they didn't correct 1 and 2 and thereby somehow mess up the perfect controls in 3+

Following up on this. You sure the controls aren't just a bit different? I only ask since in 1 and 2 he moved an extra pixel or so on landing amd that stopped from 3 on.

I guess I'm hoping they didn't correct 1 and 2 and thereby somehow mess up the perfect controls in 3+

Maybe. But at times, there was also a slight display in shooting as well (think like the delay after using Hard Knuckle but with the regular buster...)

Ziffles

Running fine here on PC.

However, the in game audio seems to be brickwall slammed (imagine mega man music running through the War Tapes setting from Battlefield) and I cant find any way to turn it off. The audio is generated in real time like an emulator and not pre recorded, so I hope they add a toggle for it.

Blues1990

Just finished part 5. It was pretty good, except for two things:

1. After you select your stage and your robot master does his pose, it seems that the animation goes in slow mo. Yet, when you fight him face to face, the speed is regular

2. The screeching with Protomans whistle is in part 5 as well.

On to the finale!
Awesome. Mega Man 6 is my personal favourite of the NES Mega Man games, and it's possibly the more underrated game in the series.

ThisOne

I can't even beat Cutman in Mega Man 1 right now. What are the basic tips for these bosses? Just to take it slow and learn their patterns?

Ryck

So excited to get this, kinda bummed they left out 9 as it's my favorite after Mega Man 2.

I can't even beat Cutman in Mega Man 1 right now. What are the basic tips for these bosses? Just to take it slow and learn their patterns?
Use Bombs :) (for Cutman)

Beating the bosses in the right order makes it much easier.

RM8

Yup. BTW the rapid-shot button makes some bosses a bit too easy, try that if you're struggling, I guess.

Man, it's incredible how these ancient games are still great in 2015. Timeless gameplay, really.

that, or doing the boss in order to use the correct weapon on the correct boss! But it's more fun if you try to uncover it by yourself

BONKERS

This compilation does not have major problems. It has very minor problems that can be easily patched if Capcom is properly motivated.

Imperfect sound to me is a Major problem for something so revered for it's audio.. (Especially when they are touting "Accuracy" and "Preservation")If it isn't patched I won't buy it. Period.
And based on Capcom's track record on abandoning their PC games in the last 2 years when they still have a lot of things that need to be fixed. My hopes aren't high.

desmax

Finished Megaman 1. Kinda sad this wasn't that much popular back in the day, because it isn't a bad game

I think Cutman is the easiest from the bosses. He takes good damage from the regular buster, and his weapon is super useful against certain enemies.
Start from him; if you have any trouble, just try to learn his patterns, or do the pause exploit if you really can't

Mzo

Since the second block comes so quickly after the first, you can actually move forward in the air and jump over both before landing, if that's any easier. But yes, one pattern over and over plus Mega Man has a ton of health. You can mess up quite a few times and still get it.

SCReuter

sörine;176562029 said:
Capcom presents The Disney Legacy Collection.

- DuckTales (1989)
- Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (1990)
- Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (1990)
- The Little Mermaid (1991)
- TaleSpin (1991)
- Darkwing Duck (1992)
- DuckTales 2 (1993)
- Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers 2 (1994)

I would absolutely purchase this compilation. It's been over 20 years since these games have even seen the light of day.

Use Bombs :) (for Cutman)

Beating the bosses in the right order makes it much easier.

You should be using Guts Man's ability to defeat Cut Man with the two blocks in his lair. Super simple.

And if you die, those blocks will be gone, making the fight a cake walk with the arm cannon, as you'll have plenty of room to move around and lay waste to Cut Man, as he's pushed back every time you hit him. He's an incredibly easy fight.

Blues1990

i would say that every megaman beside 2 and 3 are underrated! But yeah i agree with you, 6 is one of my favorite, along with 7, and even 10
Well, MM6 was largely forgotten, as it was released sometime after MMX was in the scene & the NES was on it's way out. It didn't help that Capcom didn't bothered with localizing/publishing the game, as that had fallen to Nintendo's jurisdiction.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't for the life of me find this game on the 3DS eshop. I'm very interested.

The 3DS release isn't out today and won't be out until next year.

Bionic Commando
Commando
Destiny of an Emperor
Destiny of an Emperor II
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Gun.Smoke
Legendary Wings
Mighty Final Fight
Section Z
Snow Brothers
SonSon
Street Fighter 2010
Strider
Trojan

Capcom doesn't own Snow Bros., so that's out.

Some of those ports (GnG, 1942/3) are pretty poor and shouldn't be re-released on their own, I don't think.

Mzo

Yup. BTW the rapid-shot button makes some bosses a bit too easy, try that if you're struggling, I guess.

How does it? You're limited to three shots on-screen of your Mega Buster (and sometimes single shots of special weapons) and bosses have invulnerability periods after being hurt. I don't see how rapid fire helps much.

MattyG

Banned
What's a good strategy for the Wily boss fight in Megaman 2? I can make it to phase 2, but he gets me there every time.

RM8

How does it? You're limited to three shots on-screen of your Mega Buster (and sometimes single shots of special weapons) and bosses have invulnerability periods after being hurt. I don't see how rapid fire helps much.
Hmmm... it's been a while since I played MM2, I felt like I was dealing a lot of damage on Wood Man.

Top Bottom