• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megasphere | A pixel-art "Abuse" with teeth, now on Steam Early Access

Qpvf2bx.png

Play as a special ops combat unit sent to investigate why the stars around Solar System are going dark in MegaSphere — a story-based post-cyberpunk action platformer adventure game of supermassive scale set in early 22nd century: smart guns, robots, self-reconstructing environments, and vast AIs.
sLicDek.gif
tumblr_nn2vjbR7zl1rsfeujo1_540.gif

6UVuQfM.png

vWpKOZl.gif
OkNOdQE.jpg

OarAhSE.gif

Current state of Early Access version:
MegaSphere is already 9 months into development, there’s a lot of fun to be had already:
  • Unlimited replayability in a randomized level that challenges you every time you restart
  • 7 awesome weapons, 5 upgrades, each having 3 tiers leading to more than a hundred combinations
  • 10 enemies out of 4 basic types, with up to 4 variations
  • Dynamic soundtrack that changes and adapts to events on screen
  • Item shops to buy ultimate doom-bringers and sell your loot
  • A short arc of the main story that involves the events of the bigger game
  • A very special mini-boss that will give you the taste of what to expect in the final game!
How will the full version differ from the Early Access version:
“We’re making a BIG adventure game, so here’s a few things planned for a finished game:
  • Beautiful environments to explore, set in AI-dominated world
  • Crazy and fun new mechanics to keep players interested:
  • MegaSphere is not only platforming, guns and robots, but also zero-g navigation, AI hacking, ability to control mechs and ships…
  • Mind-blowing, deep plot with twists and turns
  • Professionally narrated logs and notes to discover, store and read/listen to
  • New enemies and bosses to tear servo-from-servo
  • More stuff: guns, enemies, bosses, upgrades, suit modifications.

9AOy0AH.jpg
tumblr_nocce9A2Zc1rsfeujo1_540.gif

ERujVRP.gif
GOh6UI4.jpg

PZpZZV9.jpg
imRfK0n.gif

tumblr_npafsc2b7n1rsfeujo4_540.gif
12EdREi.jpg

Some more details

"Permadeath with checkpoints"
You can use a backup (checkpoint) if you find one and if you die, you will be immediately restored at that backup station. After that backup station is 'spent' and can not be re-used. If you die without a backup, you have to restart the game

State of game
There’s a story and some locations are random. There’s no backtracking in the game right now, it’s linear.

Procedurally-generated?
Some locations are fixed and some are randomized. Right now there's one story-related location called Platform that is procedurally created and a couple 'fixed' ones. Another procedural location is Tesseract and it is just for fun, to test combat and mechanics.

No framerate lock
It will run at 60 fps if hardware permits, there's no lock.

Demo vs Alpha
Compared to alpha, the free demo is limited to only a few locations and items.

Price
Currently price is $14.99. When MegaSphere is fully released, price will go up

Multiplayer could happen, maybe
Current plan is to focus on single player experience. Hopefuly in the future!

epmode

I feel like I've been seeing these GIFs forever. Buying.

Thank you, Steam refunds, for allowing me to blind buy early access stuff without worrying about being ripped off.

Stream of consciousness:

• Controls didn't work until I launched the game a second time.
  • Please give a way to set controls back to defaults. I screwed everything up :(
  • The UI is lovely. Great animation. The whole game is gorgeous. 144 FPS = yum (can't keep 144 when the real gameplay starts, though)
  • I'd love an option to skip the longish title sequence when launching the game.
  • The Run command doesn't seem to be working so my guy is walking pretty slowly. Might require an upgrade I don't have.
  • The screen is zoomed out a little too far at 1440p

I feel like I've been seeing these GIFs forever. Buying.

Thank you, Steam refunds, for allowing me to blind buy early access stuff without worrying about being ripped off.

Stream of consciousness:

• Controls didn't work until I launched the game a second time.
  • Please give a way to set controls back to defaults. I screwed everything up :(
  • The UI is lovely. Great animation. The whole game is gorgeous. 144 FPS = yum
  • I'd love an option to skip the longish title sequence when launching the game.
The polish of the UI and the menus and everything instantly stood out to me too

The art style, the animations, the lighting, it all looks and animates gorgeously. I especially love shooting the cables and seeing the sparks fly out. (Hint: Y key triggers slow motion). Only played for about twenty minutes so no real impressions on the gameplay yet. Controls feel solid

But I agree on the other stuff. Not enough options yet, the title sequence is kind of long, and I think the characters moves too slowly

Also can't get my controller to work

epmode

I had to manually set the controls for an XBone pad. The default settings didn't work at all. I can't figure out a good control scheme either. The (Unity) options screen doesn't let you use axis input for most of the controls so you can't map stuff to the analog triggers.

So screw it, I'm sticking with keyboard and mouse for now.

Dude still moves too slowly.

colinp

Banned
Abuse <3

I want a world where Abuse-likes are more of a thing.

I wonder if I still have the original PC Abuse box somewhere.

Anyway this looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Breads

Banned
Oh man. So much potential here. I love games like Risk of Rain and want to see more like it if this is where it's going.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Here's a fun bug!

I hit jump during the elevator lowering sequence of Platform 1 (or whatever it's called) and my character got stuck in place while the elevator kept going down. It reached the bottom and apparently spawned another instance of the character. I then shot my stuck character with the new character and he became dislodged and fell to the starting platform. Now I am controlling two characters simultaneously.

edit: went through the door and came out with just one copy of myself, but controls no longer work. now I get to watch the intro sequence again! nothing like a long, unskippable cinematic intro to a rogue-like action game. I'm sure this will be fixed. It would be great for the demo if it was soon.

A-V-B

It's a very pretty game, visually and sonically, but it's SO barebones in terms of gameplay that I lost interest in about 15-20 minutes. And I loved Abuse.

Hope you continue to develop the game itself.

I had to manually set the controls for an XBone pad. The default settings didn't work at all. I can't figure out a good control scheme either. The (Unity) options screen doesn't let you use axis input for most of the controls so you can't map stuff to the analog triggers.

So screw it, I'm sticking with keyboard and mouse for now.

Dude still moves too slowly.

yeah, had the same issues with an XONE controller. not being able to map the triggers is a big problem

Top Bottom