• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Melissa Rosenberg showrunner for AKA Jessica Jones on powers and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Nods to Richiek

http://www.eonline.com/news/680989/...vil-didn-t-get-a-stunt-emmy-nomination-either

Finally some uses "grounded" properly

"Character-wise, she is incredibly damaged, flawed, and she makes really bad decisions. She's a character rather than a superhero," Rosenberg says. "She's not out to save the city. She's out to pay her rent and to get her private investigation firm from one client to another. It's very grounded. As with most of us, in her there is this desire to do something that matters, something good. But that's competing with a lot of other really bad behavior. She's complex. Someone like Tony Soprano, or Dexter, they are sociopaths. But she is closer to that than to Captain America."

"She doesn't fly but she can jump many stories, and she lands really badly, which is why she doesn't do it too often," Rosenberg says. "And the less you see it, the more believable it is. There will be flights in every episode and they'll get bigger and bigger and bigger but that's not my priority. That's not the nature of the story. This show is more character driven than anything like a scene in that universe."

I am down for Hulk style jumps, she rarely flew anyway

great article i suggest you read it.

She gets it

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
"When you have a damaged, interesting character when it's a guy, they're writing for a character. When it's a woman, you're writing gender-first," Rosenberg says. "How I approached this series is I'm not writing for a woman, I'm writing for a character. The fact that was so revolutionary and what's so exciting for me is that a woman happens to be playing it. I'm more proud of this show than anything I've ever done before."

This will be incredible. She definitely gets it. Can't wait to see Jessica Jones mess up some people.

guek

Banned
I hope we get a trailer for this soon. Much like Daredevil before it, this show feels very different from what we've seen in the MCU thus far. I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

We in there

It's gon be good

tumblr_lyg1zxyelF1qjmsnb.gif

Slayven

I hope we get a trailer for this soon. Much like Daredevil before it, this show feels very different from what we've seen in the MCU thus far. I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

Folks will be like "I need a adult!!!"

gazele

Banned
Really glad she doesn't fly

Flying in Marvel has always been restricted and more "logical" than DC (until they started producing Superman clones en masse)

Super excited for this show to come out

Really glad she doesn't fly

Flying in Marvel has always been restricted and more "logical" than DC (until they started producing Superman clones en masse)

Super excited for this show to come out

Vision flying is basically superman kind of flying, especially during the scene where he carries Wanda.

Done right, Dr.Who fans will be mad.

I say this every thread but dude played a Death-Eater, a womanizing egomaniac, and a horribly abusive rapist in pretty popular films/TV dramas the year before he was announced as The Doctor. Also an abusive, vindictive spouse in The Policitian's Husband. And a tormented potentially insane Hamlet.

The Doctor's probably one of the nicest roles he's done. He'll absolutely nail Purple Man. Here's a page that I'm pretty sure won't spoil the TV show due to the presence of Scott Lang;

1475881-alias_028_05.jpg

giphy.gif

kirblar

I say this every thread but dude played a Death-Eater, a womanizing egomaniac, and a horribly abusive rapist in pretty popular films/TV dramas the year before he was announced as The Doctor. Also an abusive, vindictive spouse in The Policitian's Husband. And a tormented potentially insane Hamlet.

The Doctor's probably one of the nicest roles he's done.
Yeah, that's pretty much the perfect resume for Purple Man.

The Doctor's probably one of the nicest roles he's done. He'll absolutely nail Purple Man. Here's a page that I'm pretty sure won't spoil the TV show due to the presence of Scott Lang;

He's also great in Broadchurch as a really rude, short, charmless police detective who doesn't have time for niceties and small talk. He's going to be delicious as a comic book villain.

David Tennant's going to be a revelation as Purple Man. If they're keeping what he originally did to Jessica in the comics intact, then holy Jesus, he's going to be fucking despicable.

There will be flights in every episode and they'll get bigger and bigger and bigger but that's not my priority. That's not the nature of the story. This show is more character driven than anything like a scene in that universe."
Good.

David Tennant's going to be a revelation as Purple Man. If they're keeping what he originally did to Jessica in the comics intact, then holy Jesus, he's going to be fucking despicable.

Yeah, Purple Man in Alias has easily one of the most disturbing and disconcerting villain arcs I've ever read. Yes, enough to justify my saying both disturbing and disconcerting.

He's also great in Broadchurch as a really rude, short, charmless police detective who doesn't have time for niceties and small talk. He's going to be delicious as a comic book villain.
Hm, might have to give Broadchurch a watch!
Potentially moreso if they develop him over 13 episodes like they did Kingpin. There's like.. zero potential for sympathy with him thougb I imagine. But yeah, the MCU TV villains are looking to be crazy.

Yeah, Purple Man in Alias has easily one of the most disturbing and disconcerting villain arcs I've ever read. Yes, enough to justify my saying both disturbing and disconcerting.

If anything, I could see the buzz around Tennant's performance make Kilgrave/Purple Man a more prominent character in Marvel comics. He could be up there with Hiddleston's Loki and D'onofrio's Kingpin as another great MCU villain. The only difference between him and those two is that there is NOTHING redeemable or likable about Purple Man. He's terrifying and absolute scum.

EDIT: The only time I liked Purple Man was when he got absolutely and utterly OWNED by Doctor Doom. Old Comic Spoiler (Nothing to do with AKA Jessica Jones)

I'm imagining an MCU Netflix Thunderbolt with D'Onofrio's Kingpin, Tennant's Purple Man, and the debunked Statham as Bullseye. Sigh.

Oh shit ALIAS Spoilers
He's totally going to go send her to kill Daredevil isn't he.

Walpurgis

Banned
I don't know anything about Jessica Jones but I like what she's saying!
I'm imagining an MCU Netflix Thunderbolt with D'Onofrio's Kingpin, Tennant's Purple Man, and the debunked Statham as Bullseye. Sigh.

Oh shit ALIAS Spoilers
He's totally going to go send her to kill Daredevil isn't he.

Statham wasn't a debunked rumour. It was real. And it was ruined by the leak.

rbenchley

If anything, I could see the buzz around Tennant's performance make Kilgrave/Purple Man a more prominent character in Marvel comics. He could be up there with Hiddleston's Loki and D'onofrio's Kingpin as another great MCU villain. The only difference between him and those two is that there is NOTHING redeemable or likable about Purple Man. He's terrifying and absolute scum.

EDIT: The only time I liked Purple Man was when he got absolutely and utterly OWNED by Doctor Doom. Old Comic Spoiler (Nothing to do with AKA Jessica Jones)

Doom demonstrating willpower to the Purple Man is one of the greatest comic pages of all time. There is one other Purple Man appearance that I enjoyed:
lukecage_punch.jpg

Doom demonstrating willpower to the Purple Man is one of the greatest comic pages of all time. There is one other Purple Man appearance that I enjoyed:
lukecage_punch.jpg

Watching Luke and Jessica's relationship develop over several seasons and separate shows, and then having them both beat the shit out of Purple Man is going to be incredibly satisfying.

Potentially moreso if they develop him over 13 episodes like they did Kingpin. There's like.. zero potential for sympathy with him thougb I imagine. But yeah, the MCU TV villains are looking to be crazy.

Reading that and considering how weak their villains have been on the whole, they should spend some time building up a good villain in one of these TV shows and then let him or her cut loose in one if the movies. Maybe have Kingpin come back and be the engineer behind a team up of villains who give Cap some trouble, or something like that.

Ithil

Hm, might have to give Broadchurch a watch!

I expect that Jessica Jones will be more "case of the week" than Daredevil was, given her detective status. So I don't expect Purple Man to appear nearly as much as Kingpin did, in Daredevil Kingpin bordered on deuteragonist at times.

I expect that Jessica Jones will be more "case of the week" than Daredevil was, given her detective status. So I don't expect Purple Man to appear nearly as much as Kingpin did, in Daredevil Kingpin bordered on deuteragonist at times.

In my mind, there's two ways he can make an appearance: either he shows up after we finally get the flashback that explains what happened to Jessica, or his appearance and Jessica's shock leads into the flashback explaining why he's so terrible. Either way, I don't see him showing up until a few episodes in. He doesn't lead an empire like Kingpin does, so the show can easily be episodic for a while before having him show up to ruin Jessica's life again. Once he's there though, the reason of the season and cases will revolve around him.

Well as I say there's less scope for empathy/sympathy with Purple Man, though doing some quick reading on wiki he has a fairly interesting back story.

Seems he forced a woman to fall in love with him, but after a while becomes genuinely enamored with her and releases his control, hoping she'll love him of her own free will. She obviously doesn't, freaking out and leaving him whilst carrying his child. Could make for a very interesting "white wall" episode.

Reading that and considering how weak their villains have been on the whole, they should spend some time building up a good villain in one of these TV shows and then let him or her cut loose in one if the movies. Maybe have Kingpin come back and be the engineer behind a team up of villains who give Cap some trouble, or something like that.
I'd be 100% down for a Kingpin cameo in the Spidey film. Not even as a major antagonist, maybe someone financing the primary antagonist.

Well as I say there's less scope for empathy/sympathy with Purple Man, though doing some quick reading on wiki he has a fairly interesting back story.

Seems he forced a woman to fall in love with him, but after a while becomes genuinely enamored with her and releases his control, hoping she'll love him of her own free will. She obviously doesn't, freaking out and leaving him whilst carrying his child. Could make for a very interesting "white wall" episode.

I'd be 100% down for a Kingpin cameo in the Spidey film. Not even as a major antagonist, maybe someone financing the primary antagonist.

Kingpin is a violent mob boss who tries to control a neighborhood because of a twisted view that he can make it better. He got the somewhat-sympathetic mobster treatment until the last episode when he finally accepted that he is "the ill intent". What Purple Man did to Jessica leaves absolutely zero room for sympathy, so he doesn't deserve a sad backstory whatsoever. Giving him one would be kind of disgusting, to be honest.

Slayven

Kingpin is a violent mob boss who tries to control a neighborhood because of a twisted view that he can make it better. He got the somewhat-sympathetic mobster treatment until the last episode when he finally accepted that he is "the ill intent". What Purple Man did to Jessica leaves absolutely zero room for sympathy, so he doesn't deserve a sad backstory whatsoever. Giving him one would be kind of disgusting, to be honest.

that is what is wrong with alot of media today. Not every villain needs to be redeemed or sympathy.

Sou Da

So how is she going to get her powers in this? I'm guessing the Chitauri invasion triggers them instead of the F4 and Galactus?

that is what is wrong with alot of media today. Not every villain needs to be redeemed or sympathy.

No I absolutely agree. I don't think the backstory I quoted is sympathetic at all, just shows how twisted he is really.
That he thinks she'd genuinely love him after repeatedly raping her.

It's funny, what a lot of people critique the MCU movie villains for, outright evil with little motivation, might be what makes Killgrave so popular. Maybe because the more mature nature of it means he can actually follow through on his ill intent.

No I absolutely agree. I don't think the backstory I quoted is sympathetic at all, just shows how twisted he is really.
That he thinks she'd genuinely love him after repeatedly raping her.

It's funny, what a lot of people critique the MCU movie villains for, outright evil with little motivation, might be what makes Killgrave so popular. Maybe because the more mature nature of it means he can actually follow through on his ill intent.

I think it's less that those villains are evil with little motivation, it's that they're written in a way that they don't feel threatening or imposing at all. Malekith is a big one. Just some of them feel...there. Ultron doesn't feel like a deadly genocide machine, he feels like a crazy bot making more jokes than terrifying threats he intends to fulfill (his speech in the beginning was perfect, but nothing matches it from that point forward). Justin Hammer is just a moronic chucklefuck. Strucker
just fucking dies.
. I would say Darren Cross is a better example of an MCU villain, with being straight up evil and motivations to back it up, though he's essentially just a repeat of Obadiah Stane and Aldrich Killian. Not particularly complex, but still one of the better villains. Ronan was incredibly shallow (which is upsetting considering the source material), but he works. Pierce and Red Skull's motives were "HAIL HYDRA!" Though in Skull's case, he had a little "Need more power!" in his veins than Pierce or even Arnim Zola. General Ross and Blonsky both have personal vendettas against Banner.

Some of these villains got a real garbage treatment, and that's more the upsetting part than anything else. Especially when almost every villain has the same motives (high ambitions twisted by daddy issues/inferiority complex and jealousy). The problem with MCU villains is that they fit the role, but don't do more beyond that (for the most part). The TV series are always going to have better villains because they develop them over a longer stretch of time, giving these villains a chance to change and develop and grow. Even if that growth is more evil than not, it's still growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom