• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Melissa Rosenberg showrunner for AKA Jessica Jones on powers and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
4565592435_4cd5ee6cb9_o.jpg

We seein' some turtles, too then?

I think it's less that those villains are evil with little motivation, it's that they're written in a way that they don't feel threatening or imposing at all. Malekith is a big one. Just some of them feel...there. Ultron doesn't feel like a deadly genocide machine, he feels like a crazy bot making more jokes than terrifying threats he intends to fulfill (his speech in the beginning was perfect, but nothing matches it from that point forward). Justin Hammer is just a moronic chucklefuck. Strucker
just fucking dies.
. I would say Darren Cross is a better example of an MCU villain, with being straight up evil and motivations to back it up, though he's essentially just a repeat of Obadiah Stane and Aldrich Killian. Not particularly complex, but still one of the better villains. Ronan was incredibly shallow (which is upsetting considering the source material), but he works. Pierce and Red Skull's motives were "HAIL HYDRA!" Though in Skull's case, he had a little "Need more power!" in his veins than Pierce or even Arnim Zola. General Ross and Blonsky both have personal vendettas against Banner.

Some of these villains got a real garbage treatment, and that's more the upsetting part than anything else. Especially when almost every villain has the same motives (high ambitions twisted by daddy issues/inferiority complex and jealousy). The problem with MCU villains is that they fit the role, but don't do more beyond that (for the most part). The TV series are always going to have better villains because they develop them over a longer stretch of time, giving these villains a chance to change and develop and grow. Even if that growth is more evil than not, it's still growth.

After seeing Ant-Man and being shocked at how decently effective Cross was, it made me even more depressed about the state of MCU villains. His connection with Pym made him interesting, but dude was straight-up evil before even touching the Yellowjacket suit with how he
casually murdered that one executive by shrinking him into goo in the beginning of the movie.
You knew he was bad news right away through his sleazy demeanor and it really justified that he should absolutely NOT get his hands on the Ant-Man suit. His actor did a hell of a job.

And this was in spite of the fact that he was just another evil executive villain and that he was in Ant-Man, of all movies. It shouldn't be that hard to make movie villains...

flyover

I know nothing about this character, and very little about the Marvel Universe outside of the movies I've seen (and some X-Men comics I read as a kid), but this sounds freaking great.

No flying fits but still kinda weird since who's in the MCU so far.

Reading up on Jessica Jones, she USED to be able to fly, but her powers have deteriorated over time either due to trauma, lack of use, or maybe both.

It will probably be a big moment in the show if she ever flies completely again.

mreddie

Reading up on Jessica Jones, she USED to be able to fly, but her powers have deteriorated over time either due to trauma, lack of use, or maybe both.

It will probably be a big moment in the show if she ever flies completely again.

We rarely see her fly in the recent books anyways so superjump fits.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I don't think she'll properly fly. Kinda hard to restrain her to Hell's Kitchen if she can drag race Tony Stark whenever she wants.

AMUSIX

There will be flights in every episode and they'll get bigger and bigger and bigger but that's not my priority.
Sounds like she'll start out just jumping, but it'll eventually evolve into longer, controlled jumps, and then to actual flight. Using that power as a way to show her mental healing back into superherodom over the course of the show.

Also, I originally read that as "There will the fights in every episode...." and got really disappointed that they'd do something like that.

After seeing Ant-Man and being shocked at how decently effective Cross was, it made me even more depressed about the state of MCU villains. His connection with Pym made him interesting, but dude was straight-up evil before even touching the Yellowjacket suit with how he
casually murdered that one executive by shrinking him into goo in the beginning of the movie.
You knew he was bad news right away through his sleazy demeanor and it really justified that he should absolutely NOT get his hands on the Ant-Man suit. His actor did a hell of a job.

And this was in spite of the fact that he was just another evil executive villain and that he was in Ant-Man, of all movies. It shouldn't be that hard to make movie villains...

At one point they do say that
his experimentation with Pym particles fucked with his brain and made him way more evil and crazy, but at what point that began is never specified nor is it really proven until he gets into the suit. Even then all we know is that it's clear from the beginning that neither Hope nor Hank ever wanted Darren to get his hands on the particles.

AMUSIX

Is this really going to be constrained to Hell's Kitchen? That neighborhood is actually quite small, isn't it?

Alias moved around. She's based in Hell's Kitchen, but went to Washington, to a small town in upstate NY (or somewhere there) and some other locations.

I'm assuming that they'll keep this largely confined to NYC, though.

kirblar

Jessica's father received tickets for Disneyland from his boss Tony Stark. On the way home, their car collided with a military convoy carrying radioactive chemicals.
I really hope that they get to include that location due to ABC's ownership.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope to God they don't fuck this up. Alias is one of my all time favorite comics.

Hoping for good things, Daredevil really impressed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom