• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3's new cooling unlocks more performance than the chip upgrade alone, and Quest 2's reasons for performance improvements detailed

LordOfChaos

Unrolled thread detailing how they got performance improvements out of the Q2. There's a new dual core mode, where if you ignore the third core available to games it can be up to 45% faster if your app was largely single or dual threaded, though the aggregate performance is still better to use three. And dynamic resolution is unlocked by also unlocking dynamic GPU frequencies, so it can do the best it can per scene.

I assume Quest 3 cooling is based on what they did for the Quest Pro; the zipper vents that go around the entirety of the faceplate allow for a good amount of airflow

Meta-Quest-Pro-Snapdragon-XR-Plus.jpg

I was curious how they added that Q2 performance, whether it was lower level APIs or removing OS reservation or what. So it's a bit of OS reservation and a new dual core mode for even more performance in lightly threaded apps, and a dynamic GPU frequency so where it can go higher than base it does.

stranno

According to that, the big new thing, among other less relevant improvements, is the dual-core mode, which will give ~45% of performance boost in single-threaded applications. IDK how the improved Snapdragon 865 in the Quest 2 works, but maybe it is like when you disable the SMT mode in AMD hardware, that gives a noticeable performance boost to the real cores/threads. XR2 should be an octa-core SOC, but I suppose some of those cores are exclusively tied to the image analysis, like in the super-stable mode of the 3DS.

To be honest, that write-up is very badly redacted.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

According to that, the big new thing, among other less relevant improvements, is the dual-core mode, which will give ~45% of performance boost in single-threaded applications. IDK how the improved Snapdragon 865 in the Quest 2 works, but maybe it is like when you disable the SMT mode in AMD hardware, that gives a noticeable performance boost to the real cores/threads. XR2 should be an octa-core SOC, but I suppose some of those cores are exclusively tied to the image analysis, like in the super-stable mode of the 3DS.

To be honest, that write-up is very badly redacted.

I think it's more like turbo boost, 1c turbo is higher than 2c turbo is higher than 3c turbo etc

Running all three cores at load just means a lower clock for each

Top Bottom