• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4's ISO size is... (rough estimate inside)

DCharlie said:
because of course those 2 minute reinstalls per act would be so much better that switching disks....

Actually, yeah it kind of is. Switching discs is much faster (unless you have no hands and just sniffed glue), but having to physicallys witch the discs is a bit annoying. I think it is because I keep my games stacked on my shelf.

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
I believe Ryan said something about the voice sync would be totally off. Some scenes in the JPN version aren't exactly the same length as the ones in the English version as well )and vice-versa).
The lip sync was off in places anyway. I'm sure people wouldn't have minded the lip-sync being a bit off if they had the option of playing through it in both languages.

Speevy said:
4-5 discs on a 15 hour game. THAT sounds enticing. For second and third playthroughs when you're skipping the cutscene, just stay by the console.
Swapping a disc takes a lot less time than the installs you have to do for each act. I've had to sit through more than ten of them now — that's at least 30 minutes of just installing data that I've done with MGS4 at this point.

So what's their excuse for the terrible compression on the pre-recorded cutscenes then?

And surely with 20gb spare, they could have fit on all the ‘limited edition’ Blu-Ray onto the regular game disc. (seeing as I'm in the UK, there was no way I was going to spend £80—$160—to get this)

Diablos said:
Sony could aggressively combat piracy (should PS3 be exploited) by constantly releasing legitimate firmware updates as a counter-punch to hacked firmware. If you are running modified firmware that lets you play games ripped straight to the hdd, but a new game comes out next week that requires new firmware that gets installed as soon as you put the disc in, you are screwed.

They tried to do all of this with the PSP and have failed.

Diablos said:
Plus, look at all the steps people have had to take to hack PSP. Downgrade the firmware, emulate firmware, then upgrade it, again and again and again until you get to the version you want. Most people may feel comfortable doing this on a handheld worth $150, but for a machine that people have paid $400-600 for... wow, how crappy that would be if you bricked it :D

Maybe when the PSP was first released. Now, it takes (no exaggeration) about 3-4 minutes to put CFW on a brand new, out of the box PSP. Datel even sells the special battery so you don't have to make one yourself.

Diablos said:
I agree 100% -- PS3 can and likely will get exploited at some point. But if the PSP is an indication, it's not going to be as EASY as it used to be if you want to enjoy the benefits of hacking your hardware. Even if it does prove to be easy, expect it to be time consuming and done very often as I would expect Sony to release a lot of updates as a means to fight back.

Again, just look at the PSP where they have already tried all these things and failed. I'm not advocating piracy at all, just responding to comments that the PS3 is this anti-piracy machine just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it will never happen.

Crayon

karasu said:
Are the installs really just replacements for swapping discs? People keep talking like they're the same thing, and that just doesn't seem right.

It's very easy to make the connection but they do not appear to be the same thing.

The base install takes 3 times longer than the interval installs. The base install inlcudes the act 1 install, which you will have to do again after you loop thru the game again.

Now... at's a four+ gig install with some sort of update taking place between each act.

hmm. I can't really get there from here but I believe that the installs are not directly comparable to a disc change.

Diablos

OldJadedGamer said:
They tried to do all of this with the PSP and have failed.

Sure, the methods get easier as time goes on. But that's just it -- you have to wait for that to be perfected. It took how long for PSP to get to that point? I'd expect PS3 to be even harder because its a much more complicated piece of hardware. So if you wanna hack it, you'll have to put up with taking a billion different steps every single time you want to upgrade the firmware -- until, finally, SOMEDAY, they make it only one easy step after they've mastered the art of hacking the hardware. :p

karasu said:
Are the installs really just replacements for swapping discs? People keep talking like they're the same thing, and that just doesn't seem right.

They basically are the same things. If you want to go back and play a save from Act 2 and you are in Act 4, you need to spend 2 minutes to reinstall Act 2.

Sound can't be taking up that much space. I mean, think about it, a stereo 320kbps MP3 takes roughly 2.5MB per minute. Add 4 more sound channels (for 5.1), you get 6.25MB per minute. That means you get 160 minutes of audio per GB. At that rate, 15 hours of audio wouldn't even take 6GB. And you can be assured there's not more than 15 hours of unique audio in the game. Most of the war sounds and generic soldiers are repeating a few sounds over and over.

neight said:
Some of you are getting your panties way too shriveled up. 32GB is still huge. Is any other game out there that big? The OP was not being inflammatory(isn't _leech_ firmly in the Sony camp?). I find this sort of information fascinating there is nothing to be threatened about. Just like when those folks at B3D count pixels in games to figure out the rendered resolution.
Lost Odyssey is 28GB!

cakefoo said:
BEATEN! slowpoke...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11557134&postcount=11627

Dreamwriter said:
Sound can't be taking up that much space. I mean, think about it, a stereo 320kbps MP3 takes roughly 2.5MB per minute. Add 4 more sound channels (for 5.1), you get 6.25MB per minute. That means you get 160 minutes of audio per GB. At that rate, 15 hours of audio wouldn't even take 6GB. And you can be assured there's not more than 15 hours of unique audio in the game. Most of the war sounds and generic soldiers are repeating a few sounds over and over.

There's no such thing as 5.1 MP3. Most decent quality 5.1 is AC3, and that's 448-640kbit/sec.

hirokazu

Why did this thread turn into a 360 vs PS3 shitfest?

I think it's interesting knowing the actual size of the data on the disc given the comments that the developers have made on it barely fitting on the 50GB BD and all that. I guess it leaves it up to speculation why the game itself is only ~30GB, unless they eventually give a proper explanation, we might never know.

But instead, the PS3 peeps immediately start going on the defensive and attacking those who start speculations how many discs it might take if it were to go on 360. Really, what's the point? As I said, this is an interesting fact to know, even if it doesn't affect the game itself.

IMO no matter what people say in defense about the installations, when it comes down to it, it's stupid and dumb. It's not too much of an issue when you play the game all the way through, but unless there's a maximum install size specification from Sony, I don't see why they couldn't have given an option to install all the acts for those with the available HDD space.

Personally, I wasn't too bothered with the installations while playing it, but it annoys me to know that if I wanted to replay specific acts, I have to sit through the install, and that the most likely reason why there's no option to rewatch the cutscenes is because they partly rely on the data that is installed on the HDD for each specific act. I sincerely hope they release a patch to allow full installs in the future, but I'm not even sure it's possible.

M3wThr33

Banned
hirokazu said:
Why did this thread turn into a 360 vs PS3 shitfest?

I think it's interesting knowing the actual size of the data on the disc given the comments that the developers have made on it barely fitting on the 50GB BD and all that. I guess it leaves it up to speculation why the game itself is only ~30GB, unless they eventually give a proper explanation, we might never know.

But instead, the PS3 peeps immediately start going on the defensive and attacking those who start speculations how many discs it might take if it were to go on 360. Really, what's the point? As I said, this is an interesting fact to know, even if it doesn't affect the game itself.

IMO no matter what people say in defense about the installations, when it comes down to it, it's stupid and dumb. It's not too much of an issue when you play the game all the way through, but unless there's a maximum install size specification from Sony, I don't see why they couldn't have given an option to install all the acts for those with the available HDD space.

Personally, I wasn't too bothered with the installations while playing it, but it annoys me to know that if I wanted to replay specific acts, I have to sit through the install, and that the most likely reason why there's no option to rewatch the cutscenes is because they partly rely on the data that is installed on the HDD for each specific act. I sincerely hope they release a patch to allow full installs in the future, but I'm not even sure it's possible.

MGS4 + MGO = full disc.

Mr. Pointy said:
MGS4 uses uncompressed 7.1 audio, that takes up most of the disc space.

Wow, if that's true, then Konami was INCREDIBLY wasteful. They could have easily fit a dozen languages on one disc at high quality 5.1 in that kind of space. So, it's not that they *couldn't* fit other languages, it was that they chose to be wasteful and lazy. As I said, they could have fit 15 hours of full 5.1 audio in less than 15GB. But most of the speech doesn't even need to be 5.1, but only 1 - center channel, and then shift it to whichever speaker is in the correct direction (since, you know, cutscenes are in-engine realtime and not videos, so they can do stuff like that without even having to think about it).

hirokazu

M3wThr33 said:
MGS4 + MGO = full disc.
I don't know where you're getting that from, but from everything I have seen, no it doesn't. Also, the MGO beta was 1.5GB, MGO shares some data with MGS4, so there's no way it would somehow balloon out fill the disc.

Dreamwriter said:
Wow, if that's true, then Konami was INCREDIBLY wasteful. They could have easily fit a dozen languages on one disc at high quality 5.1 in that kind of space. So, it's not that they *couldn't* fit other languages, it was that they chose to be wasteful and lazy. As I said, they could have fit 15 hours of full 5.1 audio in less than 15GB. But most of the speech doesn't even need to be 5.1, but only 1 - center channel, and then shift it to whichever speaker is in the correct direction (since, you know, cutscenes are in-engine realtime and not videos, so they can do stuff like that without even having to think about it).

Wanting and encoding a higher quality sound bitrate instead of just lowballing it into standard sound fair for their game when they know the medium and system can handle it is wasteful and lazy now?

Wut?

DoomGyver

Dreamwriter said:

The sound is amazing, and I doubt anyone else with a 7.1 set would call uncompressed audio "wasteful".

hirokazu

I agree, I don't think it's really wasteful doing 7.1. They really wanted a true cinematic experience, and that meant top notch audio as well has graphics to them. I notice they emphasized the Dolby support a lot, on their website, on Dolby's website, having that dumb Dolby Digital thing when the game boots up, and the credits seem to indicate they got technical assistance from them to achieve it all too.

Tieno

So the 'barely could fit on a 50GB disc', '50 gb is way too small' comments were to fellate MGS PS3 fans?

Crayon

hirokazu said:
I agree, I don't think it's really wasteful doing 7.1. They really wanted a true cinematic experience, and that meant top notch audio as well has graphics to them. I notice they emphasized the Dolby support a lot, on their website, on Dolby's website, having that dumb Dolby Digital thing when the game boots up, and the credits seem to indicate they got technical assistance from them to achieve it all too.

The sound is pretty amazing. I have to play it with headphones to hear every little thing.

I mean, you shoot a frying pan with a small calibur bullet in a large kitchen with a tile floor and it actually sounds like it.

Lot's of really random out of place sounds, too. Anyways lots of sound.

Forsete

Gold Member
Tieno said:
So the 'barely could fit on a 50GB disc', '50 gb is way too small' comments were to fellate MGS PS3 fans?

Can I has redundant data? I bereive that kind of stuff is removed when games are haxxed.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
IMO PS3 is going to remain hack, pirating free for some time, maybe another year which would be quite an achievement.

Both the 360 and PS3 have excellent security features with hypervisor controls and efuses but obviously Sony learned from the 360 fatal weakness of using a bog standard DVD-drive.

IF and I mean IF, the 360 didn't have a standard PC DVD-drive, it would be hack-free to this day. Even with full access to DVD-drive, doing anything besides playing copied games on 360 is an exercise in frustration and very very limited.

hirokazu

Forsete said:
Can I has redundant data? I bereive that kind of stuff is removed when games are haxxed.
I don't believe all are, but don't know about this instance. It would definitely make sense if the rest of the disc was redundant data, and I'm willing to believe this is the case. I had just initially assumed that the 30GB included that, but that's probably a rather silly assumption now that I think about it.

hirokazu

Narag said:
Me too if it meant a onetime install.
Same. Besides, a full install would only take ~17 minutes excluding MGO, and even that was less that 2 minutes if you already have MGS4 installed.

U K Narayan said:
Wait for the "Substance" version. I have no doubt it'll end up including this.

That way they can include the movie viewer and the ability to load a game from the puase screen instead of only the main screen.

Edit: OMG at the post above mine.

Narag

AmMortal said:
RAAAAGE! RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Haters, Metal Gear Solid 4 is The Best Game to Ever Come Out. And It happens to be Playstation 3 exclusive...so deal with it. I bought my PS3 for MGS4, you should do it too, and stop this bitter hate...

... the hell did this come from?

Gamer @ Heart said:
That way they can include the movie viewer and the ability to load a game from the puase screen instead of only the main screen.

Edit: OMG at the post above mine.

Boss rush mode too.

hirokazu

AmMortal said:
RAAAAGE! RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Haters, Metal Gear Solid 4 is The Best Game to Ever Come Out. And It happens to be Playstation 3 exclusive...so deal with it. I bought my PS3 for MGS4, you should do it too, and stop this bitter hate...
See what I mean with my first post in this thread? Dude, what does your post add to the discussion here?

And the thread had actually settled down somewhat to good discussion on the issue too.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
In this day and age, such things can be downloaded and patched.
And should! If it can be done. I would actually pay for a Substance style re-release because the game is that good, but it would be for a bunch of cool extra features that they might be able to add, I still think the stuff that isn't in due to the limitations of the reinstalls should be patched in to the original game, free of charge.

Im actually holding off a big boss extreme run in the hopes that a patch will allow me to load from in the game. The only reason i can think of why it wasnt done is that they dont want you loading another act while playing a different one, but thats still a lame reason considering just how often you have to exit to the main screen if you want to go for a perfect run. They can block a load from another chapter as long as they let me reload within the same one. Thats all i ask.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The sound is amazing, and I doubt anyone else with a 7.1 set would call uncompressed audio "wasteful".

i appreciate it and the sound is the thing i'm looking forward to most in the game, but how many PS3 owners have the set up to take advantage of the uncompressed 7.1?

i keep seeing it being waved around, but i'd have thought it was a minority with the required set up. heh, perhaps i'm completely wrong?

hirokazu

DCharlie said:
i appreciate it and the sound is the thing i'm looking forward to most in the game, but how many PS3 owners have the set up to take advantage of the uncompressed 7.1?

i keep seeing it being waved around, but i'd have thought it was a minority with the required set up. heh, perhaps i'm completely wrong?
No, you're right, most people don't.

I don't either. But I'm not going to complain about the fact that it's there, because it will be awesome when I can get to play it in such a setup.

Tieno

andrewfee said:
The lip sync was off in places anyway. I'm sure people wouldn't have minded the lip-sync being a bit off if they had the option of playing through it in both languages.

Swapping a disc takes a lot less time than the installs you have to do for each act. I've had to sit through more than ten of them now — that's at least 30 minutes of just installing data that I've done with MGS4 at this point.

So what's their excuse for the terrible compression on the pre-recorded cutscenes then?

And surely with 20gb spare, they could have fit on all the ‘limited edition’ Blu-Ray onto the regular game disc. (seeing as I'm in the UK, there was no way I was going to spend £80—$160—to get this)
Ryan explained on 1up yours that some (non-ingame) cutscenes were in a lower resolution because of hardware limitations vs the way they integrated them into the game. They have them in full HD on the blu-ray special edition disc.

Mr. Pointy said:
MGS4 uses uncompressed 7.1 audio, that takes up most of the disc space.

The best the 360 can do is (compressed) DD 5.1.

You have no idea what you;re talking about. The game is only 5.1 and uses standard Dolby Digital... just like most 360 games.

Crayon

Tieno said:
Ryan explained on 1up yours that some (non-ingame) cutscenes were in a lower resolution because of hardware limitations vs the way they integrated them into the game. They have them in full HD on the blu-ray special edition disc.

Nonono. They where talking about the insane tv you whatch when you start a new game. Those specifically had to be lower reolution because they need to run like 5 at once so you can flip channels.

The "in game" cutscenes that are compressed just for space I think. That's the only reason I can think to compress them. Of course that doesn't jibe with 20g of free disc space so what do I know?

neight

Banned
TheHeretic said:
The difference between "uncompressed audio" and plain old Dolby encoding is pretty much a load.
For the 1% of people that have the necessary expensive audio hardware and listen to audio with the volume really loud.

acm2000

navanman said:
IMO PS3 is going to remain hack, pirating free for some time, maybe another year which would be quite an achievement.

Both the 360 and PS3 have excellent security features with hypervisor controls and efuses but obviously Sony learned from the 360 fatal weakness of using a bog standard DVD-drive.

IF and I mean IF, the 360 didn't have a standard PC DVD-drive, it would be hack-free to this day. Even with full access to DVD-drive, doing anything besides playing copied games on 360 is an exercise in frustration and very very limited.

the new refurbs and new retail 360s have "unhackable" liteon dvd drives, which also run quite a bit quieter, they have no firmware chip at all, and the controller chip is unreadable, so the clever chinese are gonna have to invest some money in trying to make a proper mod chip

Top Bottom