• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V trailers are cinematic masterpieces

Which MGS V trailer is your favorite?

• GDC 2013 (Not Your Kind of People)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • E3 2013 (Sins of the Father)

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • E3 2014 (Nuclear)

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • E3 2015 (Elegia)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Launch trailer (Quiet's Theme)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

solidus12

I still remember when I was eargerly anticipating the release date of the Phantom Pain, watching Kojima's trailers at each E3 press conference. This game had so much potential; it still hurts.

Take a trip down memory lane with me, Gaf.

GDC 2013 trailer:

E3 2013 red band trailer:

E3 2014 trailer:

E3 2015 trailer:

Launch trailer:

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I felt half the story could be pieced together from the trailers. There was barely anything in the full game I hadn't seen yet.

StueyDuck

The sad part is that these trailers are better than the game itself. As a longtime MGS fan, MGSV was a mess narratively, and underwhelming from a gameplay perspective and wore out it's welcome with how long it was.
as a long time MGS fan, MGSV narrative was just as messy as all the other games, it just didn't have and ending.

and the gameplay was top notch, anyone saying the gameplay wasn't good makes me doubt whether they actually played the game.

It was a victim of being unfinished, yet even as an unfinished game it was more feature complete and actually functioned and worked when you launched the game. Unlike many "10/10" AAA games we've seen lately.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I still remember when I was eargerly anticipating the release date of the Phantom Pain, watching Kojima's trailers at each E3 press conference. This game had so much potential; it still hurts.

GDC 2013 trailer:

E3 2014 trailer:

E3 2015 trailer:

Launch trailer:

Elegia's one still gives me goosebumps.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The "Sins Of The Father" trailer from 2013 is astonishingly good, even today.

Looking back it seems obvious to me that Konami got nervous about the content; I mean that Red Band trailer contains some seriously rough stuff. I doubt most gamers were (and likely still are) as sensitive to how taboo-busting dealing with child soldiers is, and why the climax of Eli and the "lost boys" arc was never finished.

And no, I entirely doubt it was time/budgetary reasons because if that was the case they could simply have finished it off post release. They still had the tech and manpower to finish the online component and a whole other game in Survive, but they couldn't finish up a partially incomplete section of the game? Yeah... that's totally plausible!

Side-note: Kojima really is alarmingly prescient. People laughed at the "language as a virus" metaphor 10 years ago, and yet here we are... a decade of ideologues using linguistics to shape culture, redefining terms and concepts to further their political aims.

Luipadre

Nah, fuck that game. Amazing gameplay mechanics but everything is doodoo caca. At least Death Stranding had a much better story and Mads played quite well. Not a huge fan of that game either but miles ahead of MGSV.

Also this is the best Kojima cinematic:

I rewatched DS trailer many many times. The launch trailer is still a masterpiece. I cant wait for DS2 and i want to see a new trailer aswell, its been almost 10 months :(

I believe MGS5 was Kojima's first failure.
Sure, the gameplay mechanics are fun but even they get old as the game progresses. There's barely any story or cutscenes compared to previous games and it is imo the weakest mainline mgs game.

I understand Kojima wanted to change up the series and not just deliver the same rehashed stuff previously done but what we got was not the direction to go.

Roni

Gold Member
The "Sins Of The Father" trailer from 2013 is astonishingly good, even today.

Looking back it seems obvious to me that Konami got nervous about the content; I mean that Red Band trailer contains some seriously rough stuff. I doubt most gamers were (and likely still are) as sensitive to how taboo-busting dealing with child soldiers is, and why the climax of Eli and the "lost boys" arc was never finished.

And no, I entirely doubt it was time/budgetary reasons because if that was the case they could simply have finished it off post release. They still had the tech and manpower to finish the online component and a whole other game in Survive, but they couldn't finish up a partially incomplete section of the game? Yeah... that's totally plausible!

Side-note: Kojima really is alarmingly prescient. People laughed at the "language as a virus" metaphor 10 years ago, and yet here we are... a decade of ideologues using linguistics to shape culture, redefining terms and concepts to further their political aims.
Every mainline MG game was excellent. What a feat to have a series last for 8-9 games and still make a coherent whole at the end.

The storylines for 2 and V are slaps in the face of society.

I believe MGS5 was Kojima's first failure.
Sure, the gameplay mechanics are fun but even they get old as the game progresses. There's barely any story or cutscenes compared to previous games and it is imo the weakest mainline mgs game.

I understand Kojima wanted to change up the series and not just deliver the same rehashed stuff previously done but what we got was not the direction to go.

it wasn't actually anything new, it was basically Peace Walker on a bigger budget and scale. For me, the biggest problem with MGS 5 is the lack of will to replay it, unlike previous entries. Besides the great opening...I tried twice to replay it, I just couldn't ass myself to go through building the mother base all over again and do random missions and then redo them again, killing some random soldiers with random stats...no replay value at all.

Roni

Gold Member
it wasn't actually anything new, it was basically Peace Walker on a bigger budget and scale. For me, the biggest problem with MGS 5 is the lack of will to replay it, unlike previous entries. Besides the great opening...I tried twice to replay it, I just couldn't ass myself to go through building the mother base all over again and do random missions and then redo them again, killing some random soldiers with random stats...no replay value at all.
That's not the way MGSV was designed to be replayed. Replaying is built into the game itself, you keep "remembering" the earlier missions and using the new stuff Mother Base is building to play it differently.

That's the main thing really: MGSV was a different beast and everybody just wanted the same meal in a prettier platter.

That's not the way MGSV was designed to be replayed. Replaying is built into the game itself, you keep "remembering" the earlier missions and using the new stuff Mother Base is building to play it differently.

That's the main thing really: MGSV was a different beast and everybody just wanted the same meal in a prettier platter.
Motherbase gave you 100s of weapons yet I still used the same 2 assault rifles and a dart gun throughout the game. If I wanted item management Id play Candy Crush. I play the game for the story and experience. There is no New Game +, yu literally have to delete your save and restart everything.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Motherbase gave you 100s of weapons yet I still used the same 2 assault rifles and a dart gun throughout the game. If I wanted item management Id play Candy Crush. I play the game for the story and experience. There is no New Game +, yu literally have to delete your save and restart everything.
You can bring a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink.

Naked Lunch

The scene with Kaz reaching for his arm and getting an empty sleeve still sticks with me.

One of the biggest travesties in gaming history was MGSV releasing unfinished.
I just wish it had boss battles like the rest of the franchise - no clue why there are so few.

Last edited:

In my opinion sequels should follow a fine line that balances between more of what you know but adding / changing.

Like if ID make another Doom game I would want it to be a Doom game and say not a COD game (ironically which Doom 4 was shaping up to be) With mgs5 I feel it deviated too far from what MGS was. After all a game that held the title of long ass hollywood esque cutscenes going to optional tape recordings to push it's story? that along with other things is too far of a departure.

Shame that Kojima is very unlikely to ever return to the series. Would have been good to see what an eventual MGS6 could have been.

MiguelItUp

As a whole, the E3 2013 trailer for sure for me. But I still love the E3 2015 trailer for using Elegia. It's SO good.

I'll never NOT be sad about what we got, while still awesome in a lot of ways, was not THE entire version of MGSV Kojima wanted us to have. :(

Last edited:

Dorago

GDC 2013 trailer:

E3 2014 trailer:

E3 2015 trailer:

Launch trailer:

Got dang right.

Each one has a narrative and "feel" so compelling it almost hurts.

I watched each of them dozens of times.

There was no way the game couldn't be disappointing after that.

RCU005

The sad part is that these trailers are better than the game itself. As a longtime MGS fan, MGSV was a mess narratively, and underwhelming from a gameplay perspective and wore out it's welcome with how long it was.

The gameplay of MGS V is a masterpiece! It should be the standard in quality for the entire industry.

But yes, it’s too bad the game wasn’t finished and couldn’t tell the entire story.

Klosshufvud

That Elegy trailer is just an editing masterpiece. The trailer hints of a story portraying the moral downfall of a past hero. Shame that's not the story we got. Instead we assumed the role of an avatar, in the lamest plot twist gaming has ever had to suffer. IMO MGSV should've just finished the whole arc and ended on the note of Solid Snake killing BB, from the perspective of BB.

Fahdis

Fuck the trailers. Our personal relationship was more solid with Pequod than anyone else in the game. And they ruined it!

Spyxos

Gold Member
I've seen the trailers a lot, unfortunately this game didn't really have a story. Gameplay was really great for the first time. Only that was never the main reason I play MGS.

voted: E3 2014 (Nuclear)

Last edited:

YCoCg

Nuclear for the memes but my vote goes to Elegia, like that trailer still gives me shivers, it's legit better than the game, it made it feel like this was going to be the grand send off, the big connecting point of the series, uniting the Naked Snake/Big Boss era with the Sold Snake era, it just felt so amazing, ....and then the game was just all over the place.

Kojigod

sad metal gear solid GIF

too bad the game is shit.
a nonsensical story
awful stealth and gun gameplay. Older games pay way more attention to how guns perform.
laughably dumb AI
fox engine can't handle more than a dozen enemies at once.

MadPanda

Banned
I played this game the most of any games during that generation, for some 130 hours. I had a blast and for me it was the pinnacle of gaming in terms of gameplay. I hadn't played earlier entries so I was unfamiliar with the characters and game tropes so no disappointment for me, except when I realized it was unfinished :(

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I did replay the Directors cut, but how do you even start this extra content?

Its just part of the late game if I remember right. Its basically a back-story sub-plot that comes up as part of doing deliveries, it doesn't seem any different until Woodkid starts playing on the soundtrack. Think there's 2 or 3 parts to it, so its not very long although it has a nice pay-off.

The thing about the DC edition is it feels less like an expansion than the base game after a bunch of small patches have been applied. In total there's quite a lot of changes and improvements, but its very spread out. The more obvious stuff shown in the trailers wasn't -for me- the most valuable/enjoyable additions.

Top Bottom