• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Methods of dealing with deplorables at thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to make this thread so that fellow GAF members would have the tools necessary to deal with the kind of people that everyone knows: The deplorables.

I'm gonna first preface this by saying that the method I am going to disclose is not meant for ALL Trump voters, but specifically the kind of deplorables who treat talk radio as gospel, constantly hate on all kinds of minorities, and when confronted with facts will almost always rely on conspiracy theories about how everything is supposedly rigged against them. This is NOT a method to be used for those that may be ignorant or misinformed but truly are open to learning new information.

In fact this method is not even about changing the view points of deplorables, but is instead a method for the sole purpose of getting deplorables to shut the fuck up about their bigoted views so that you can at least enjoy a decent meal. Others posting in this thread are certainly welcome to post their own methods.

So with that disclaimer brought up, I will now explain what I call the Nuclear Political Discussion Option:

One of the core tenants of liberalism is sensitivity is inclusiveness and tolerance, and it shows in how we usually discuss politics. We try to reason and empathize with the other side and it often can help but other times it can be to a detriment.

So instead of dealing with deplorables with empathy and reasoning, my method is about making deplorables feel like shit.

Now it won't have its impact of you go straight to this option, but the idea is that you give the deplorable or deplorables warnings that you are holding back a nastiness and if they don't back off they will feel that verbal wrath. Once you are actually starting the method, you basically talk to them in ways that prove that political correctness isn't just a one way road.

The following are examples of phrases that are part of this tactic:

- "Dumbass conspiracy theories" "here we go again with the dumbass conspiracy theories" "since you rely on dumbass conspiracy theories so much are you gonna next tell me about UFOs"

- "man you seem really TRIGGERED by black and brown people" "do you need a safe space from all the Muslims you fucking pussy?" "America is not your safe space from minorities you fucking dipshit"

- "oh here we go again with Benghazi. Are you gonna cry like that bitch Pattt Smith?"

- "Oh I'm sorry I can't hear you when you have Trump's dick in your mouth"

- "You sound like a fucking wuss if you can't handle a black guy taking a seat during the anthem."

- "Here let me pour one out for those POOR OL' PERSECUTED CONSERVATIVES" (then literally pour your drink onto the floor mockingly)

- calling them "white trash" or otherwise bringing up the fact that they are white in insensitive ways. "Man you are whiter than my pair of New Balance" "well of course you think that, you're fucking white" "no, the sheep are Trump supporters; you can tell because they are white"

- When they call out your insensitivity, respond with "No I am just being politically incorrect, you fucking dumb hypocrite."

- Constantly ending your sentences with "dumbass", "dipshit", "fucking idiot", and similar insults. These are little stings that will get under their skin.

- Bringing up anything personal about them in an insulting way that would have political context.

And that's just off the top of my head. If people want I can post more examples.

Frequently/Inevitably Asked Questions:

1) This sounds like you are saying to be an asshole?

- Yes that is the point. Deplorables are used to having liberals trying to reason with them, so pushing back hard will throw them off because they won't be used to such visceral language coming from the liberal side.

2) What if the deplorable or deplorables get physically violent?

- Always be prepared to defend yourself in any situation anyway. I'm not going to post what is okay for all 50 states, but I encourage that before thanksgiving you look up how you are legally allowed to defend yourself.

EDIT: Just to be clear I am not advocating for violence and I do not condone violence. I am merely stating that if THEY assault you then you need to be prepared to defend yourself.

3) Why should I do this when it seems like it will never actually change their viewpoints?

- This Nuclear Option is not meant to change their viewpoints. It is meant to make the opposition feel uncomfortable openly speaking their bigotry.

4) Have you actually tried this method?

- Yes, both on social media and in real life. And for its stated purposes it works incredibly well, mainly because, as I said, it's not something that deplorables are used to hearing from liberals.

5) I noticed your examples have a lot of swearing and insults. Is that on purpose?

- Yes it is on purpose. It drives home the idea that you have no respect for deplorables, which is essential if you are to successfully make a deplorable feel uncomfortable speaking politics around you.

6) Why are you making this thread in the first place?

- Because I have seen post after post of GAF members dealing with deplorables and getting frustrated that they can't reason with the deplorables, so I figured I should make a thread so that they have some important tools to help make thanksgiving a more enjoyable meal.

Makonero

I plan to ask them to stop talking politics and change the topic to something else. I am too passionate not to get into a drawn out argument so my goal is simply to get through dinner without shouting at someone.

OP you're going to get into a fistfight

This is phenomenally stupid advice. "Be as huge of a dick as possible to your family and friends, so I can feel superior about my open mindedness".

This is literally a guide to alienating your entire family

Don't go. "I made other plans for Thanksgiving this year, see you all soon!".

The first time I pulled that in my 20s I thought there would be a huge fuss. Everybody was cool about it, though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hear laxatives are often cheap and many look and taste like candy. Several come in powder form and dissolve into drinks easily as well.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
How not to deal with them: boycotting Thanksgiving and all future beach trips like my aunt.

Also OP, it doesn't sound like you're simply trying to enjoy a good meal, it sounds like you're actively looking to stir up bullshit.

Don't give into Identity Politics. Avoid topics of broad groups, focus on the particular. You'd be surprised. Someone can be staunchly anti-immigrant, but reduce it down to "yeah, but what if there's one really nice guy" or "what if they genuinely have a family?" and they might have genuine ideas of how to help them.

Of course, you always have that deep seated hated in some people, but that isn't the norm. Most people have a point where they are reasonable.

But yeah, avoid broad labels. Focus on the person and particular.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's some post you've got there OP.

How about a simple, "I'd appreciate it if we could keep politics out of the discussions today"?

4) Have you actually tried this method?

- Yes, both on social media and in real life. And for its stated purposes it works incredibly well, mainly because, as I said, it's not something that deplorables are used to hearing from liberals.

5fc6a922cef46c8c80df5e23335a1759651f3af1589a149cdd730e4b2b79ef08.jpg

Jarrod38

I plan to ask them to stop talking politics and change the topic to something else. I am too passionate not to get into a drawn out argument so my goal is simply to get through dinner without shouting at someone.

Because that is to hard for some people here.

dankir

Yeah OP your ideas are just going to make things worse. If that's how you feel then you probably shouldn't go. It'll just be better for everybody.

In your head you think this is going to make them feel bad or feel stupid when in reality this is just going to make your entire family think you are a gigantic rude asshole.

Hale-XF11

Thanks, OP. I'm gonna print this out and have it ready to go at the dinner table. I'm not so good at memorizing lines, so I'll just read the answers you have listed out loud as each topic comes up.

Also kind of family do you live in where it would be acceptable to call someone a "fucking idiot" over Thanksgiving dinner? These are family members not randoms on Twitter, OP.

And what about those who don't have that option?

If you do what you've described, you won't have to worry about going to Thanksgivng ever again!

Fury451

Banned
So your plan is to be an asshole and somehow that won't end up making things worse?

Why don't you just not go in that case, because all that's going to happen is you're going to be that person that ruined Thanksgiving this year.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This sounds like awful advice. Even if you disagree with everything they say, I don't think acting like a colossal dickhead to friends and family will do anything but make everyone hate each other more.

Not to mention that I don't see how this is supposed to make the event "more enjoyable" for anyone involved. Regardless of the point you're trying to make and regardless of whether you're right or wrong, the way you're saying it will make everyone hate you.

Permanently A

I find it really effective to ask them if they believe in God and then tell them how stupid they are for believing in a magical sky daddy and how euphoric and enlightened I am for not buying into the ruse. Its also very effective at shifting the conversation away from politics which is a net bonus.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I find it really effective to ask them if they believe in God and then tell them how stupid they are for believing in a magical sky daddy and how euphoric and enlightened I am for not buying into the ruse. Its also very effective at shifting the conversation away from politics which is a net bonus.

Yeah, but then you open up potentially an even bigger can of worms.

Riposte

7) Amir0x, is this your alt account?

EDIT: This list is nothing short of being unable to tell apart real life from the internet. It seems to think everyone around you thinks exactly like the people you got into a fight with on twitter and thus the solution is to repeat or physically act out the things you said in those fights. *pours drink on floor*

Ralemont

not me
Drink until you can't understand what people are saying to you, then assume they are hitting on you and start making out with them.

Thanks, OP. I'm gonna print this out and have it ready to go at the dinner table. I'm not so good at memorizing lines, so I'll just read the answers you have listed out loud as each topic comes up.

"Hale-XF11, would you pass the mashed potatoes?"

"Yeah you would want some mashed potatoes you stupid racist white motherfucker. How about some gravy too you deplorable bitch?"

OP's advice reads like Baby's First Attempts at Dirty Talk: Political Edition.

To anyone out there reading this and thinking anything other than amused dismissal, please, for my sake, don't alienate your entire family and make yourself look like a jackass. Especially on account of Donald Trump.

Dougald

Or just do what I plan to do when my Brexit-voting in laws come for Christmas dinner - refrain from talking about highly polarising politics and have an enjoyable family gathering instead

Pickman

LfyJ7cEBuyBJWElDNSASFOOnP1MXTrJBBdjsDQesuCZZ137D0Zl-Vv1Fk8fkmqbbEYI=w170

Having this under the table. As soon as people start arguing about politics, it's getting blasted and I'm telling them to change the subject.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think you'd probably have a more enjoyable dinner if you sought professional help before hanging around in groups of people.

Also, stop using the insult 'deplorable'. It was corny and forced from day one. Don't take your disses from Hilldawg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom