• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Exodus is influenced by S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

GHG

I'm so ready for this game.

My PC is not ready.

Speaking of which, I want to replay Stalker, are there any controller mods for the game or is the steam controller the best bet?

It's kinda inevitable with how the industry has moved​ on. You might be able to hold out hope for a hardcore mode of some kind at least!

Bu but Dark souls!

At least STALKER had like 5 difficulty options and quicksave, I would argue that made it less hardcore than a Dark Souls.

Not really. Metro 2033 is a borderline horror game, going to the surface never felt safe and the dead winter aesthetic reinforced that. Last Light's surface segments in comparison lacked a lot of that dread in no small part due to the relatively bright setting.

Well, with luck they will take the day/night cycle from STALKER too. Then we can have scary nights.

Spladam

Exodus was on of my top three favorite reveals of E3, and I've waited a long time for 4A to return to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. roots. They are the only folks that could properly pool a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. spiritual successor and the two IP's should meld together perfectly. Metro has a cooler universe anyway.
Warms my heart.

Call of Pripyat is still one of the best games ever made.
I very much feel the same.
I've always wondered why there's so much hype about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. outside Russia and some European countries.

Also you gonna need mods if you intend to play and enjoy. Games aren't that polished.
I played through Call of Pripyat twice before modding it and loved it.
Well the Metro series always was influenced by STALKER I feel, and honestly I remember it being said before.
Well, the founders of 4A (Metro) are from GSC ( the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. guys) and I always felt they shared a similar vibe.

I'm glad they are being direct about this... exactly what I was hoping for!

What I want more than anything is a big focus on AI like the STALKER series. The sense of unpredictability is sorely lacking from almost every other open world game.

This is the closest to Stalker 2 boys, so freaking hyped!!

Holy shit I hope they use an enhanced Ai Life to really bring the world alive

Chumley

Banned
Courtesy of

200.gif

BigDes

Man the Stalker games were so good

What they were amazing at was subverting expectations as well

Like in Call of Pripyat where one of the helicopters you have to find has crashed inside an old factory

So you creep into the factory, flinching at every sound, it gets darker and creepier and you get to the helicopter and boom

nothing there, no monster, no battle, no threat at all, just an abandoned downed helicopter. The sense of relief was amazing

Man the Stalker games were so good

What they were amazing at was subverting expectations as well

Like in Call of Pripyat where one of the helicopters you have to find has crashed inside an old factory

So you creep into the factory, flinching at every sound, it gets darker and creepier and you get to the helicopter and boom

nothing there, no monster, no battle, no threat at all, just an abandoned downed helicopter. The sense of relief was amazing

Hoooo, yeah. I remember this one side-quest where I had to go through a decrepit factory for some supplies. I don't even remember where the quest took place or what it was about; all I remember is that the first time I tried it, it was night-time, and all I had was my flashlight. This isn't a "soft" night that you see in modern Fallouts and Elder Scrolls games; night-time in STALKER means you are walking around blind if you aren't using your flashlight or equipping your night-vision goggles.

So there I am, crouch-walking down hallways, peeking around abandoned machinery, my gun primed for danger. I'm half-expecting to stumble into a sleeping monster or hear the shamble of a zombie behind me through a doorway I missed. I'm jumping at shadows because of my flashlight; around one corner, I see the shadow of something moving and long-limbed, and I nervously inch over to find it was just some dead plant-matter hanging outside a window. The whole time, my nerves are on edge, and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, because <i>that's just what happens in quests.</i> Standard fetch quest design calls for an unexpected trap or encounter to spice up expectations, right?

Except, no. I find the item, and I depart the factory without incident. There was nothing inside that building that was hostile to me, but the entire trip took 10-15 nerve-wracking minutes because I was too jittery to run about with confidence.

And that's exactly what I would have done had there been daylight when I chose to undertake the quest. Doing the quest at night gave me a totally different experience, and it's a memory I keep with me every time I recall the STALKER games. No immersive sim has affected me with its atmosphere more.

tl;dr: This news that Metro: Exodus is pulling inspiration from the STALKER games pleases me. The first two games were fun enough, but I never felt compelled to replay them or try higher difficulties. I'm willing to have my mind blown here, however.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
giphy.gif

It was kind of obvious from the trailer, but hearing it from the devs is great

Top Bottom