• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus |OT| Epic Game!

Ellis

Are the first two games needed to better enjoy the story, or is it a stand-alone experience ?

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Are the first two games needed to better enjoy the story, or is it a stand-alone experience ?

I don't think so. You could watch a quick summary of the previous games on YouTube in preparation. It helps to know the factions, the dark ones, how both games ended. Metro Exodus has an intro that kind of does that but it fails beyond the very broad strokes.

Ellis

I don't think so. You could watch a quick summary of the previous games on YouTube in preparation. It helps to know the factions, the dark ones, how both games ended. Metro Exodus has an intro that kind of does that but it fails beyond the very broad strokes.

I might just play the other games first then. I didn't realise this was set after those two.

If there are a lot of lore callbacks I kind of want to know what they are referring too.

Chiggs

The sequence where you have to find the radio signal while Anya and her father scream and shout at each other in the background is--HANDS FUCKING DOWN--one of the worst moments in video game history. And then, once their argument ends, Anya's father asks you every 5 FUCKING SECONDS if you've found the signal.

"PLEASE, ARTYOM, YOU MUST FIND THE SIGNAL!!!!! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IT, ARTYOM? COME ON, DO YOUR BEST! HAVE YOU FOUND IT YET, ARTYOM? PLEASE, TRY--IT MUST BE THERE!"

I can't believe this game made it out the door in the state it is on consoles. Control issues, black crush on Xbox One and X...what a mess.

4A games, you suck!

Last edited:

Banned
In Volga, the part where you have to attach railcar to passenger cabin. If you speed through even after changing the tracks, it will continue to hit the blockade. I had no idea I had to slow down so I wasted around 2 hours finding another lever to change tracks, which I thought was needed. Had to see a walkthrough, felt stupid.

Yep, just got through that part myself. It took me awhile to remember to find the switch.

Phobia

Beaten by a Far Cry spin off, that came out on nowhere with little hype, in the UK charts.
Karma.

For someone that is chronically defending Crackdown 3 in that thread I find it funny how much you want this game to fail just because of the choice of launcher on PC.

Hostile_18

Banned
Just booted it up tonight and noticed straight away another game where the HDR is broken (OLED, PS4 Pro).

Got a choice between over-exposed lights or crushed blacks. You can't turn off HDR. The in-game gamma makes no sense you can never see the left image and the central image only appears at 100% brightness.

How is this not a MASSIVE issue :(

Stuart360

Drop the console war crap.
For someone that is chronically defending Crackdown 3 in that thread I find it funny how much you want this game to fail just because of the choice of launcher on PC.
I'm not defending Crackdown, i'm calling out Sony fanboys and their tiresome bullshit. Yes i do want Metro to fail, at least on PC, and i'm not going into the reason why, and nor should i have to.

No kill Artyom goes right out the door with those that mess with Anna. :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

everyone in Yamantau must be purged.

The Doom music in this level is dope af tho.

Last edited:

Rygeist

Banned
So torn between the 1X version and the PC version. Don't want to give EPIC games the satisfaction of me playing the PC version on their gamefront

Rygeist

Banned

The choice of the launcher is a 100% plausible reason not to get this game on PC. It was shady as all hell

Chiggs

Thank God for Volga. My attitude has changed considerably since arriving here. Feels like a modern version of Stalker (somewhat) now.

Nydus

Gold Member
I have a massive graphic glitch in the kaspian dessert. It started after you have to get the map. Almost all objects and NPC disappear and reappear constantly. No matter if I move the camera or not. Whole system is up to date. Reinstalling drivers with ddu didn't help :( I even tried the physx fixes for the older metro games but no luck. Any ideas???

I have a massive graphic glitch in the kaspian dessert. It started after you have to get the map. Almost all objects and NPC disappear and reappear constantly. No matter if I move the camera or not. Whole system is up to date. Reinstalling drivers with ddu didn't help :( I even tried the physx fixes for the older metro games but no luck. Any ideas???

Caspian is super buggy, lot's of people reporting bugs and I've had some issues myself.

Banned
Yamantau was a great mini-level between areas. Hope there's a few more like that.

Does anyone know if there's a way to save a gun configuration? I keep having to rebuild my guns after I lose one or both in an area due to picking something else up.

Peroroncino

Just fix the weighty controls and I’ll be happy. I don’t remember them being this bad in the other two games.

I'd recommend removing aim-assist since it makes aiming even slower when your reticle is on your target. It was bad in previous games but it was somewhat alleviated by 60fps.

Starfield

Completed the game. What an awesome ride it was. GOTY 2019

Anyone who's holding out on this for a Steam release is missing out on one of the greatest single player experiences to date...

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The sequence where you have to find the radio signal while Anya and her father scream and shout at each other in the background is--HANDS FUCKING DOWN--one of the worst moments in video game history. And then, once their argument ends, Anya's father asks you every 5 FUCKING SECONDS if you've found the signal.

"PLEASE, ARTYOM, YOU MUST FIND THE SIGNAL!!!!! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IT, ARTYOM? COME ON, DO YOUR BEST! HAVE YOU FOUND IT YET, ARTYOM? PLEASE, TRY--IT MUST BE THERE!"

I can't believe this game made it out the door in the state it is on consoles. Control issues, black crush on Xbox One and X...what a mess.

4A games, you suck!

Wow. I played through the intro/prologue and actually loved this segment on the train. It's perfect because there's obviously heated discussions and people talking over one another. Of course, I loved the entire intro/prologue and can't wait to play more tomorrow. Outside of Artyom being stiff to control, my only minor complaint is the lack of HUD options. I wish I could turn off the enemy detection arrow and damage feedback but other than these few complaints, im enjoying the game a lot.

I found the signal right after the conversation ended and Miller asked me once if I found it and I did. It then advanced. You're meant to go through the entire radio while everyone is talking and arguing. If you don't, then yeah, you'll probably run into the issue you had. Thankfully, except for what I listed, no major problems or negatives.

Ivellios

Just booted it up tonight and noticed straight away another game where the HDR is broken (OLED, PS4 Pro).

Got a choice between over-exposed lights or crushed blacks. You can't turn off HDR. The in-game gamma makes no sense you can never see the left image and the central image only appears at 100% brightness.

How is this not a MASSIVE issue :(

Really? i saw a video comparison between SDR and HDR in this game and it seemed ok, but then again he was playing on a Xbox One X.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm such a hypocrite. I couldn't hold for a Steam release and am ashamed to say that I kowtowed to the only option of Epic's Metro release, but goddamn if the game isn't fantastic. I really wish I didn't have to buy it on the Epic store as I vastly prefer Steam, but this game is fantastic.

Peroroncino

I'm such a hypocrite. I couldn't hold for a Steam release and am ashamed to say that I kowtowed to the only option of Epic's Metro release, but goddamn if the game isn't fantastic. I really wish I didn't have to buy it on the Epic store as I vastly prefer Steam, but this game is fantastic.

Game is amazing, enjoy it regardless of the store it's being sold on.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Steve Blum is in this. He's been in numerous games (Batman Arkham games , Jericho, etc), but he doesn't change his voice. lol I am a fan of Cowboy Beebop, but throughout the years his voice sticks out the most because it simply doesn't change.

Starfield

I wish I could play this game with Ray tracing. Maybe I get the next rtx line card. Hope it's gonna be implemented in more game sin teh future

Shai-Tan

Banned
I might just play the other games first then. I didn't realise this was set after those two.

If there are a lot of lore callbacks I kind of want to know what they are referring too.

I'm much further in now and it doesn't matter that much. Still, it's worth playing the older games in the Redux versions. I played Last Light in 4k a few months ago and there are levels that look nice. The story is bad in my opinion so what you're missing is more the experience and journey through the environment not the (bad) dialogue and plot.

That said if you don't like the more linear and stealth sections in this game you may dislike how the older games play.

kingwingin

I said i was going to hold off playing but i couldnt resist. Almost out of volga and its been a blast, tho i wish i didnt miss the achievment for killing the catfish

ebevan91

Been stuck at work all day thinking about this game 😭

The exploration is pretty fun. I like taking time clearing out all of the areas so I don’t miss anything.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Game froze and corrupted my save. Done with this game for a long while, really dont feel like starting over

crisia averted. Let it load and after 15 minutes i was back where i was when it froze

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Maybe some of you don't remember J JaseC but is anyone interested in a PC thread for Exodus? He has one over on the other side as he doesn't post here so much. I always found his PC threads super super useful.

Hostile_18

Banned
Really? i saw a video comparison between SDR and HDR in this game and it seemed ok, but then again he was playing on a Xbox One X.

It felt so badly compromised Ill have to wait for a patch.. don't think I've had to do that for a game ermm ever lol.

I can't upload images directly on here but check out my post (#18) in this thread to see how full on it is.

It's not my tv settings either as it's a calibrated accurate display.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/oled-console-gamers.2214386/#post-26913702

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
I have mixed feeling about this. The sound design can be awesome (atmospheric) and bad (foot steps etc.) at the same time. Artjom being mentally retarded, because what else could be the reason to never speak, doesn't fit either. Exploring the world is fun and the maps being not too big helps. What is absolutely bad are the controls. The input lag is atrocious and fighting and movement feels shitty because of this. Also the hit boxes are kind of messy.

Stuart360

I have mixed feeling about this. The sound design can be awesome (atmospheric) and bad (foot steps etc.) at the same time. Artjom being mentally retarded, because what else could be the reason to never speak, doesn't fit either. Exploring the world is fun and the maps being not too big helps. What is absolutely bad are the controls. The input lag is atrocious and fighting and movement feels shitty because of this. Also the hit boxes are kind of messy.
A lot of story based FPS games have a silent protagonist, including one of the best ever in Half Life 2. Plus its Artyom who narrates the sections between levels.
Some of the sound in this game is a bit weird though, i have seen quite a few Youtubers and streamers say the same.

Hostile_18

Banned
A lot of story based FPS games have a silent protagonist, including one of the best ever in Half Life 2. Plus its Artyom who narrates the sections between levels.
Some of the sound in this game is a bit weird though, i have seen quite a few Youtubers and streamers say the same.

I must admit the silence does feel stranger here. Perhaps narrativley in that he's so quiet to extreme events around him (like he's physically unable to speak) or perhaps because in recent years were use to protagonists reacting to events now.

Artyum was never a wise cracker, but I think total silence hurts it a little bit more here (especially because the loading narration is so good).

betrayal

Banned

But in HL2 it just worked. In Metro Exodus it just feels of. People often directly address the protagonist and most of these situation just feel akward. I think in this regard the script and writing is just too weak. Additionally almost all the other people in Metro Exodus talk A LOT, even if you don't want them to, so this doesn't makes it any better.

Lanrutcon

This is probably the prettiest game out there right now. If you have a monster rig, then this is the game to show off with.

Starfield

This is probably the prettiest game out there right now. If you have a monster rig, then this is the game to show off with.
I just wish I had an RTX now to play with ray tracing enabled. It makes a already stunning looking game even better and more realistic.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Does anyone know if there are proper settings in for HDR in windows (Nvidia Control Panel?) to make it look better or does the implementation in this game just look bad? It looks much better in SDR in Metro Exodus. That's the main frustration on PC with HDR - it doesn't just work like console HDR so it's unclear if an HDR implementation is bad or settings are wrong or both.

Top Bottom