• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light was developed under awful conditions (Armed thugs, smuggling, more)

Fonz72

so do you imply that all devs should work for small salary + extremely long hours in horrible conditions just because you want publishers to spit out AAA games at fraction of their real cost?

No, no, no.........Not by any means, I just feel that making a good high-quality game does not require a huge budget nor millions of dollars of outsourcing. Fat can be trimmed that does not come from the comfort or pay of individuals. These people deserve better living and working conditions than they have, but they made due and didn't let it hamper their ability to make a good game. If they can persevere then surely other devs can look at this and say maybe we don't need forty million for CG cut-scenes or maybe we don't need to hire a ten million dollar script writer.

I find it funny seeing some people (not here) saying "I really hope they make their money back they deserve it" and then later saying "I won't buy it until it has a major price drop"

legacyzero

Banned
Dev of the year right here. Hands down.

While devs a Infinity Ward get massages (so I hear).

And they STILL put out an (thusfar) amazing game.

And this is why the argument that "AAA games will die next gen because development is too expensive!", is BULLSHIT!

When you have a group of dedicated passionate devs you can turn out a very fine product for a lower cost. Maybe not in the time frame many publishers want, but it can be done.

Dozens of people working in dogshit conditions is not in any way ideal, not for shitty disposable entertainment like games. Fuck that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Fuck man

I'm torn now... I don't want to buy the game because I didn't like the last one and I want to buy it because of this

Living conditions in Russia and Ukraine suck compared to the U.S. and Western Europe. If I was with 4A or Deep Silver I would seriously consider moving the studio elsewhere.

Or at least pay the 4A employees like they would be paid if they lived in a country where the cost of living is higher.

Fonz72

No, no, no.........Not by any means, I just feel that making a good high-quality game does not require a huge budget nor millions of dollars of outsourcing. Fat can be trimmed that does not come from the comfort or pay of individuals. These people deserve better living and working conditions than they have, but they made due and didn't let it hamper their ability to make a good game. If they can persevere then surely other devs can look at this and say maybe we don't need forty million for CG cut-scenes or maybe we don't need to hire a ten million dollar script writer.

Dozens of people working in dogshit conditions is not in any way ideal, not for shitty disposable entertainment like games. Fuck that.

See my reply above. I was not referencing the living/working conditions (which are deplorable) these developers worked under I was speaking about the budget they had coupled with terrible conditions. To imply I feel this this type of enviroment is acceptable is silly! This type of budget? Very much so.

AHA-Lambda

Wow, that's terrible. There's not much I can think to say really. Damn =/

The budget of Last Light is less than some of its competitors spend on cut scenes, a mere 10 percent of the budget of its biggest competitors.

Wow. Wow.

Odrion

Banned
Wasn't The Witcher 2 made with an incredibly small budget as well?

edit: also I bought Last Light because of this.
d38Wd4k.png

shuri

Banned
You guys are aware of all the industry outsourcing being done to Eastern Europe and India? Its pretty disgusting :( Those guys are being paid peanuts for this....

4A really deserves tons of respect & support, they are really passionate to be able to make amazing games such as Metro 2033 & Last Light in such horrible conditions.

I hope that anyone of the big names grab them, make them relocate, and provide them with the resources they need, Bethesda comes to mind since it isn't corrupted yet, 4A really need to shine, they did so much with so little, I want to see what they can do with as many as the other developers get.

Kimawolf

And this is why the argument that "AAA games will die next gen because development is too expensive!", is BULLSHIT!

When you have a group of dedicated passionate devs you can turn out a very fine product for a lower cost. Maybe not in the time frame many publishers want, but it can be done.

Yeah lets turn all developers into sweat shop workers that get threatened by the mafia. Sure.

that's a pretty amazing story

it's no wonder they had to cancel the Wii U version, jesus dude

Yeah holy hell who knows what would have happened if they had to keep working on it. It makes their seeming anger understandable now. They come to work in horrid conditions then get a Wii U thrown at them.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
If you use Twitter, I'm using the #4ALOVE hashtag to collect words of support from fans for the studio. Feel free to use it to share your support! I will send them all over to 4A.

4A Games is currently working hard on updates and the like, so I hope you will be patient while we all work on getting Metro: Last Light in tip-top shape on as many PC configurations as possible. Some things will be fixed sooner than others, but they are deeply committed to their fans.

FYI: Deep Silver did not purchase the studio at the THQ auction.

nOoblet16

A lot of negativity going on around here for other developers.

The lack of facilities and terrible conditions aside, keep in mind that one of the prime reason why budget for games made by developers from less developed countries are lower than average is because things cost less in these countries than they do in America/Brtain/France/Germany etc etc. There's no comparison between cost of living in Kiev compared to say Montreal.

This is the same reason why CD Project achieved what they did in Witcher 2 with $10 million and is the reason why GTA games cost so damn much because the developers Rockstar North are based in UK. So a direct comparison cannot be made really, I mean I am sure if CD Project were based in UK their budget would've been much higher. Also don't forget that the games that are published by big publishers spend a massive chunk of their budget in marketing, which gets added into the "total budget", you shouldn't really count these because this money wasn't used for the development process. So the argument about MOH: Warfighter having a much higher budget doesn't really sticks.

Is 1/10th like $5-10 million? If so, WOW.

http://i.minus.com/ibw1bQejL8BXjX.gif[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i8Qm7HfSqF44v.gif[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iPnc8e3f98O7e.gif[/IM]

WOW.[/QUOTE]

I know. Many other developers should be embarrassed at the talent on display for so cheap (and in poor conditions too).

Last light is better looking than the next gen games that Sony showed and is honestly maaaybe only matched by crysis 3 right now

Barakov

Gold Member
That is messed up. The fact that this game came out in spite of mafia threats and the harsh working conditions is a credit to the dev team. I'm picking this up as soon as I finish the first game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
See my reply above. I was not referencing the living/working conditions (which are deplorable) these developers worked under I was speaking about the budget they had coupled with terrible conditions. To imply I feel this this type of enviroment is acceptable is silly! This type of budget? Very much so.
The average Ukranian wage is around $350 a month, that's why their budget is so low. I'm sure Metro took about the same man-hours as any game of that size.

I know. Many other developers should be embarrassed at the talent on display for so cheap (and in poor conditions too).

Last light is better looking than the next gen games that Sony showed and is honestly maaaybe only matched by crysis 3 right now

Crysis 3 looks a lot better than Last Light obviously with the budget Crysis had its not surprising.

Fonz72

Yeah lets turn all developers into sweat shop workers that get threatened by the mafia. Sure.

Yeah holy hell who knows what would have happened if they had to keep working on it. It makes their seeming anger understandable now. They come to work in horrid conditions then get a Wii U thrown at them.

There you go. I should have been more detailed in my original post. I appologize.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know how I feel about this news. I'm really enjoying the game, and will happily buy more things from this dev, but, who will really end up with the profits from the game? The poor dev's stuck in those conditions, or the management that put them in those conditions.

Or is this more the fault of the country and the condition it's in?

Fonz72

The average Ukranian wage is around $350, that's why their budget is so low. I'm sure Metro took about the same man-hours as any game of that size.

I'm sure that played a role in the games cost, but when the total cost was 10% of the cost of a "normal" AAA title, I don't believe that the other 90% is wages.

nOoblet16

Crysis 3 looks a lot better than Last Light obviously with the budget Crysis had its not surprising.

It also takes more money to simply run an office in a city like Frankfurt and another in Nottingham when compared to an office the size of a gym with little facilities and in a city like Kiev. And of the $20 million spent in Crysis 3, a lot was probably used by EA for marketing.

Spending money on developing the game is just one aspect that contributes towards the game's overall budget. Everyone here is seemingly inclined to believe that 100% of game budget is development money that the developers of other more privileged studios seem to be bagging into their pockets. We should praise 4A for their hard work and dedication to work under these conditions, not disdain other developers for having a higher budget than a studio which was obviously lacking funds and facilities, commodities that improve the working conditions and hence increase the budget.

Top Bottom