• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Redux on Switch: The Digital Foundry Tech Review

oagboghi2

Are there phones playing current gen games at 1440p? For that matter, are there phones running last-gen games at 1440p (native res)?

I'd like the Switch to be more powerful. I think we all would. But people keep bringing up these disingenuous, apples-to-oranges comparisons (handheld form factor v. full console, $300 handheld v. $800 phone) to explain why the Switch *should have* been more than it is without providing any real alternatives. Half the time I can't figure out whether they're trolling or just ignorant of how gaming hardware works (which is rich, coming from me).
I like to think they Are trolls. It would depressing to think so many people lack the intelligence to understand what the switch is hardware wise.

Are there phones playing current gen games at 1440p? For that matter, are there phones running last-gen games at 1440p (native res)?

I'd like the Switch to be more powerful. I think we all would. But people keep bringing up these disingenuous, apples-to-oranges comparisons (handheld form factor v. full console, $300 handheld v. $800 phone) to explain why the Switch *should have* been more than it is without providing any real alternatives. Half the time I can't figure out whether they're trolling or just ignorant of how gaming hardware works (which is rich, coming from me).

I think people are complaining that switch always get's it's a impressive for a portable response. when honestly it's not impressive at all. 360 which is 14 years old now, had ports of nextgen games like tomb raider and titanfall and they actually were much better then most switch ports.

Zannegan

I think people are complaining that switch always get's it's a impressive for a portable response. when honestly it's not impressive at all. 360 which is 14 years old now, had ports of nextgen games like tomb raider and titanfall and they actually were much better then most switch ports.
If the 360 was a portable, you'd have a much stronger point. Instead, you're comparing a full-sized console to one with the form-factor and thermal restrictions of a handheld. It's apples to oranges.

14 years (or, rather, 11, launch to launch) makes a difference in how much tech you can cram into a given space and cool, but the facts that the Switch has A. so much less space to work with and B. a battery it has to run off of do make a difference. In and of itself, of course it isn't impressive, which is why people keep saying it's impressive *for a handheld/hybrid.*

"Stands to reason" or "just makes sense" arguments based on your personal expectations don't hold a lot of water in gaming hardware. You've got to make a better comparison if you want people (who don't already agree with you) to agree that the Switch is underpowered *for a handheld/hybrid."

As much as I'm enjoying it, I think Nintendo did play it a little too safe with the Switch, and I hope they go balls-out with their next one (hope, but don't expect). But even if they do, I wouldn't be looking for something significantly more powerful than a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. It's just the nature of the small form factor. *shrug*

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
keep in mind this game can run on a 199 machine.

There is no 200$ mobile device that would be able to run this game, or a good amount of Switch games.

GPD Win 2 is 800$ according to Amazon, but I don't know if thats the right price.

If the 360 was a portable, you'd have a much stronger point. Instead, you're comparing a full-sized console to one with the form-factor and thermal restrictions of a handheld. It's apples to oranges.

14 years (or, rather, 11, launch to launch) makes a difference in how much tech you can cram into a given space and cool, but the facts that the Switch has A. so much less space to work with and B. a battery it has to run off of do make a difference. In and of itself, of course it isn't impressive, which is why people keep saying it's impressive *for a handheld/hybrid.*

"Stands to reason" or "just makes sense" arguments based on your personal expectations don't hold a lot of water in gaming hardware. You've got to make a better comparison if you want people (who don't already agree with you) to agree that the Switch is underpowered *for a handheld/hybrid."

As much as I'm enjoying it, I think Nintendo did play it a little too safe with the Switch, and I hope they go balls-out with their next one (hope, but don't expect). But even if they do, I wouldn't be looking for something significantly more powerful than a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. It's just the nature of the small form factor. *shrug*

Anybody that follows tech knew that switch and mobile technology have surpassed lastgen consoles a long time ago. We knew before switch even came out it was 2.5-3x 360 overall so i'm not sure why it's impressive, if anything switch is under achieving. considering what 360/ps3 did on much weaker consoles.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Anybody that follows tech knew that switch and mobile technology have surpassed lastgen consoles a long time ago. We knew before switch even came out it was 2.5-3x 360 overall so i'm not sure why it's impressive, if anything switch is under achieving. considering what 360/ps3 did on much weaker consoles.

Everyone knows the switch isn't cutting edge technology. Thats the point of the videos. That these developers are able to get their games running on NVDIA's tegra chip in a 199$ form factor. And alot of games on 360/ps3 ran like ass and those systems probably wouldn't be able to run games like Witcher 3/Doom 2016/Hellblade etc... Or if they did they would run a lot worse. Look at the DF video on the very game we are talking about. This is running the CURRENT GEN version, not the 360 version.

Whats impressive is that they took this small amount of tech and got the game to run on it with all the current gen features of the Redux version. Sure they had to make compromises but thats because of the price and form factor of the switch.

But I would like to see a mobile device with a screen that could run those games equal to the switch for 199$. Show the mobile tech that the Switch should be punching up against. And heck if you want a better Switch you can buy one right now, its called the NVIDIA shield PRO. Its a Switch with higher clocks.

Everyone knows the switch isn't cutting edge technology. Thats the point of the videos. That these developers are able to get their games running on NVDIA's tegra chip in a 199$ form factor. And alot of games on 360/ps3 ran like ass and those systems probably wouldn't be able to run games like Witcher 3/Doom 2016/Hellblade etc... Or if they did they would run a lot worse. Look at the DF video on the very game we are talking about. This is running the CURRENT GEN version, not the 360 version.

Whats impressive is that they took this small amount of tech and got the game to run on it with all the current gen features of the Redux version. Sure they had to make compromises but thats because of the price and form factor of the switch.

But I would like to see a mobile device with a screen that could run those games equal to the switch for 199$. Show the mobile tech that the Switch should be punching up against. And heck if you want a better Switch you can buy one right now, its called the NVIDIA shield PRO. Its a Switch with higher clocks.

I did say switch is 2,.5x-3x more powerful then 360. so these results should be expected. Most of the ports on switch are ass anyway like they were on lastgen consoles sub HD, with a targeted unstable 30fps. As for metro it's a lastgen game with some added effects for current gen, now if they got this running 60fps that would be impressive.

oagboghi2

I did say switch is 2,.5x-3x more powerful then 360. so these results should be expected. Most of the ports on switch are ass anyway like they were on lastgen consoles sub HD, with a targeted unstable 30fps. As for metro it's a lastgen game with some added effects for current gen, now if they got this running 60fps that would be impressive.
Than what the hell are you complaining about?

Than what the hell are you complaining about?

That almost everything get labeled as impressive because it runs on switch. keep in mind lastgen when 360/ps3 were sub hd and ran like below 30fps, on games cleary targeting much higher hardware people would complain and say how shitty the port is.

Last edited:

Romulus

Phones aren't dedicated gaming devices either, Switch is. Most phones are not only smaller than the Switch, they have camera and other dedicated hardware not related to gaming. Again, I think the port is cool, but its about what I expected considering.

SCB3

Considering how many issues I've had on PC and Xbox with Metro 2033 redux crashing I hope this version is fixed

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's meaningless to talk about resolution independently of what you are rendering at that resolution. Show me a port of a current generation title running on a phone.

this impressed me on the ipad pro 2018.
That and fortnite running in 120fps on the ipad pro not even consoles do this.
then again this is a 800+ dollar device. No shit it can display great gfx.
but the ipad pro lacks true console hits. Like skyrim fallout doom2016 etc etc.
I mainly use it for DAW's in ableton and graphical design.

The intel nuc can run forza horizon 4 basically at a stable 30 fps@720p
that will set you back around 400 if you get the needed parts dirt cheap (ram+OS+hdd)
no screen tho and no portability. (more like a docked switch)

gaming laptops are a fucking joke as they drain their battery in around 40 min and don't even run max if unplugged.

So i ended up getting a switch for portable gaming and nothing has come close so far,
(well i guess streaming) but you will always need a fast enough internet connection.

People seem to forget that doom 2016, skyrim, metro redux, witcher 3, diablo 3 and many many more games run on a 6 watts device.
Not for 40 min but for hours.

(no shit your 200 watts console looks better)

There is nothing on the market atm that does this. What makes the switch a very interesting piece of tech.

Last edited:

this impressed me on the ipad pro 2018.
That and fortnite running in 120fps on the ipad pro not even consoles do this.
then again this is a 800+ dollar device. No shit it can display great gfx.
but the ipad pro lacks true console hits. Like skyrim fallout doom2016 etc etc.
I mainly use it for DAW's in ableton and graphical design.

The intel nuc can run forza horizon 4 basically at a stable 30 fps@720p
that will set you back around 400 if you get the needed parts dirt cheap (ram+OS+hdd)
no screen tho and no portability. (more like a docked switch)

gaming laptops are a fucking joke as they drain their battery in around 40 min and don't even run max if unplugged.

So i ended up getting a switch for portable gaming and nothing has come close so far,
(well i guess streaming) but you will always need a fast enough internet connection.

People seem to forget that doom 2016, skyrim, metro redux, witcher 3, diablo 3 and many many more games run on a 6 watts device.
Not for 40 min but for hours.

(no shit your 200 watts console looks better)

There is nothing on the market atm that does this. What makes the switch a very interesting piece of tech.

where the hell do you play your switch? i mean seriously unless you are a traveler, a gaming laptop is much better, not to mention all the games available at cheaper prices.

Jooxed

Gold Member
where the hell do you play your switch? i mean seriously unless you are a traveler, a gaming laptop is much better, not to mention all the games available at cheaper prices.

is it your hobby to come into switch related threads .. trash it to get reply banned and then move on the next one. Then schtick is getting old.

is it your hobby to come into switch related threads .. trash it to get reply banned and then move on the next one. Then schtick is getting old.

when did i trash the switch in this thread? saying a gaming laptop is a better option is not trashing the switch especially since he brought up the comparison. you have a few people in this thread trashing the switch but i wasn't one of them.

Last edited:

FireFly

Can you give an example of a model of gaming laptop that would be a good Switch replacement?

Can you give an example of a model of gaming laptop that would be a good Switch replacement?

Switch is good if you like to travel a lot, and love nintendo games. If want to play most current games at work, in your office, a friends house a laptop is much better imo. you can play most current gen games unlike switch with much better graphics and performance, as a portable device i would choose a laptop anyday, you can get PC games next to nothing as well.

NEW HP 15.6" FHD i5-9300H NVIDIA GTX1050 4.1GHz 8GB 256GB SSD Gaming Laptop 599$ brand new.

Top Bottom