• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

Tschumi

The easiest cue is just wait for his red eye to flash.

And you get two attempts when he first grabs you and when he sticks you if I'm not mistaken.

I've pulled it off a few times but most of the time I've ended up dying anyway.
i've watched videos, also he keeps doing the same attack (this is like the third one u meet, the first one that's just patrolling), and i know exactly when the lights will flash but no chance, not even a sound to indicate i failed lol

daveonezero

Banned
So good. I was just stuck a few times. First time I went to a youtube and found the block I missed shooting. Then had the same things going on a short time later.

it is a good lost though. I don't mind going through rooms and clearing enemies looking for where to go. The combat is fun enough and I'm leanring how to play.

Was a nice surprise to find the morph ball, And Varia suit in short succession. It just went from a very closed map to much more opened. Now I have about 50 missiles and many destinations to look into.

I need a double jump!

Last edited:

Phase

I'm about 1.5hrs in and finally starting to get a handle on the controls. Just beat the Scorpion boss. Damn Nintendo's flipped xbox button layout, or should I be mad at xbox?

Either way the game is
lee daniels damn good GIF by Empire FOX

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Finished the game, 100%. My clear time is probably awful but holy fucking shit this game 👌

Can't believe I thought the SA-X was tough to deal with in Fusion... but I was a lot younger then. Please don't make me wait so long for a sequel to Dread.

So I’m at the point where I can go to the end boss, and I’m doing item cleanup…whew lads some of these speed booster puzzles 🥲
I was sufficiently pleased with myself when I figured them out that I saved clips of the hard ones.

scalman

I jusy wish there would be more upgraded and sooner so you wouldnt forget that one room in map that you couldnt go earloer. Like how soon you get those samus return upgrades is cool. But yh love it anyway. Maybe will try to cleab maps now from last save before last boss to just explore . But i wont manage those difficult speedrun jumps for sure. So those will be left

MetroidDread

Neo Member
I made a video on my 4th playthrough making a challenge where I made sure not to collect minor power ups and fight bosses with only Beam and Counter, no Missiles, Bombs, Bower Bombs, Shinespark or Screw Attack to hurt or deflect attacks.

I also didn't use Power Bombs to destroy the final bosses Sun attack

Jeeves

Just beat the game and yeah,It's prolly my GOTY so far... what a game...that last boss fight though is SOMETHING..took me two hrs to beat.
Yeah it took me in the 1-2 hour range. It's funny because at first I was like "I have no idea how to deal with this boss" and by the end of it I was practically not getting hit at all. Really satisfying to learn the fight. Even when I had it down though it was making me sweat from how fast-paced it was.

Coming from an admittedly die hard Super Metroid Stan that compares everything to it...

Mercury Steam has seemingly pulled off the impossible. It's to the point where my minor gripes are laughably petty at best. From it's ridiculously calculated controls, to it's "gameplay first" visuals, actual difficulty that's smothered in 100% fairness, Dread lives up to nearly every dream we wished it could have. From both a design aspect, as well as a narrative one, Dread gives mostly everything you want, and nothing you don't. I'm dancing around how to say things without giving away spoilers (both gameplay and story), but if you are on the fence as a Super Metroid fan, rest easy. It's more than a proper companion, it just might be better in the end. Trust me, I get it. I remember playing Super Metroid for the first time, and being amazed that gaming could do such things. It's stories and intricacies unfolding the more you played, and more attention you gave. It set an itch that till this very day is hard to scratch. While Dread isn't a direct clone, it very obviously took HEAVY inspiration from it in most of the areas that count. Map design, intensity and demanding quality of boss battles, movement speed and weight, perfect controls (yes, I said it. Perfect.) etc. The list could roll across the floor like an unraveling scroll.

Metroid Dread was a long time coming, and seemingly accomplished the impossible task of being worth a seat next to it's most difficult competition, Super Metroid. What an incredible piece of work. Thank you to everyone involved in it's creation.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I usually take an eternity with games, but my play time was just under 12 hours and I 100%'d it. I thought it would be a lot more, I didn't play many days, but my sessions were long.

IKSTUGA

After giving it some thought and beating Fusion and Zero Mission again for the first time in 10+ years... I'd rank the 2D Metroid games like this:

1. Metroid Dread
2. Super Metroid
3. Metroid Fusion
4. Metroid: Samus Returns
5. Metroid: Zero Mission

Dread and Super are almost perfect and need to be on top. Fusion can be too restrictive at times, but I really enjoyed the story and atmosphere. Samus Returns is just a great remake. Zero Mission is clearly the weakest link to me. There's quite a bit of tedious backtracking and it lacks those epic moments the other games have. The "epilogue" felt kinda unnecessary too. It controls super well though!

Last edited:

Vognerful

Guys I am stuck and need help!

After acquiring the grapple hook and sonar pulse, I went to ferenia and battled that robot. I can't go anywhere as the way I came in is blocked by fall blocks, and the other way has a strong fan which I don't know how to pass it.

Tried searching online but it felt like their sequence is totally different. Did I miss up? Was i not supposed to come here?
st1XBg7.jpg

tommib

Guys I am stuck and need help!

After acquiring the grapple hook and sonar pulse, I went to ferenia and battled that robot. I can't go anywhere as the way I came in is blocked by fall blocks, and the other way has a strong fan which I don't know how to pass it.

Tried searching online but it felt like their sequence is totally different. Did I miss up? Was i not supposed to come here?
st1XBg7.jpg
Do you have the speed booster? It allows you to run faster than the fan allows.

Hestar69

Yeah it took me in the 1-2 hour range. It's funny because at first I was like "I have no idea how to deal with this boss" and by the end of it I was practically not getting hit at all. Really satisfying to learn the fight. Even when I had it down though it was making me sweat from how fast-paced it was.
Funny you say that I was the same. I tected my friend "how the fuck do I even hit him" but at the end I could do do it no hit until the last part.

Jeeves

After giving it some thought and beating Fusion and Zero Mission again for the first time in 10+ years... I'd rank the 2D Metroid games like this:

1. Metroid Dread
2. Super Metroid
3. Metroid Fusion
4. Metroid: Samus Returns
5. Metroid: Zero Mission

Dread and Super are almost perfect and need to be on top. Fusion can be too restrictive at times, but I really enjoyed the story and atmosphere. Samus Returns is just a great remake. Zero Mission is clearly the weakest link to me. There's quite a bit of tedious backtracking and it lacks those epic moments the other games have. The "epilogue" felt kinda unnecessary too. It controls super well though!
That's how I'd rank them too, except I might flip Super and Fusion depending on which way the wind is blowing any given day.

Really impressive that so many games in this franchise are popular favorites among fans.

cireza

I have been enjoying the game so far (probably close to the end, as I now have the
screw attack
).

The game has a lot of qualities. However, it is probably the most linear Metroid game I have ever played. The game constantly pushes you to the next place, and you never have to backtrack, and this is pretty disappointing. There is actually really few exploration here. You are never lost, and the next place to go is always obvious. Simply push forward and that's it. Not a single key item is left behind, secured by a door or a place that you have to come back to later.

That's the only real issue I have with the game. I found that everything else was very good. Not a fan of the counter at all, but it was still tolerable.

Last edited:

Porcile

I think it would be hard to put any new Metroid game above Super and Prime if only because both of those felt like once in a decade experiences that set benchmarks and trod new ground not just for Metroid but for rather for gaming in general.

Personally, I now find it hard to seperate Fusion, Zero Mission, Samus Returns and Dread. It's quite remarkable how they are all essentially the same game but do their own thing without restraint. I have a lot more respect for Fusion now too after years of indifference towards its level design.

Very interesting see where they go with Metroid 6. I would like to see something like the very early 4 prototype that was shown with anti-gravity shenanigans and a crazy new suit.

Last edited:

cireza

I have a lot more respect for Fusion now too after years of indifference towards its level design.
Fusion is the most impressive one in terms of level-design, in my opinion. The horizontal traversal you unlock later in game is absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

KielCasto

I stopped at Itorash for now and will collect items before continuing. I’ve been lost a few times and died a thousand more but figuring out how to get the items and defeating bosses are fun especially without a guide. Countering an EMMI is extremely satisfying but that purple one (maybe the fifth) was a pain without the gravity suit .

Nico_D

Tbh, playing this I remember why I don't like the genre. I hate being lost and/or not knowing what to do or where to go - and especially not to know how to get there. You run into one place, see it is a dead end or you are missing some crucial tool. You leave and go elsewhere, another dead end. Soon I have wasted 30 mins. just running from place to place with zero progress while killing the same enemies over and over again. Everywhere I go, there's either a new kind of door or morph ball hole blocking my way.

And when I have a feeling I know where to go - like toward one of the bosses in this game -, the game stops me on my tracks and directs me elsewhere, like to a new sector.

It was the same with past adventure games. As much I love them, it was incredibly frustrating not to know what to do and you just ended up running all the places over and over for hours until you pixel hunted that one last missing item or found where to use that one item to get some progress.

I like this game and I want to like it more, when it is good it is very good. It may just be that genre frustrations stop me from enjoying it. Also I hate how my son - who loves these kind of games and who finished this already and who wants to watch me play this one - has to see my frustration.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Speedrunners are starting to do their thing:

This game's potential is ridiculous, can't wait to see what the world record looks like six months from now.

I've seen one where they keep the purple Shinespark boost and dash across that gap in the water at the end. Slightly different route from what you posted.

I guess if you get the Space Jump later it doesn't matter if you skip the Spin Boost? It still gives you infinite jumps.

Portugeezer

Great game, bosses were great as people said, despite me getting my ass kicked a few times. Mostly just need to learn the patterns and eventually you'll also get some good RNG... also abused the flash movement 🤣

By the end of the game I wasn't really incentivised to backtrack as I felt like exploring midway through the game and during story progression I got more than enough resources to take some hits and dish out damage.

Still, a return to form for the series. What a great 2D Metroid this was. I agree with some people saying GOTY, so far it is mine, but I also love Metroidvania so...

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Got completely sidetracked exploring and trying to get previously unreachable items and expansions.

Accidentally sequence broke and got the super missiles after getting slightly obsessed with a wall jumping segment I was positive I could pull off. 30 minutes of trial and error later and I at least got into a new place and got a shiny new toy I'm mostly positive I shouldn't have at the point I'm at.

I'm just enjoying exploring and hunting for secrets. I'll go and crack skulls when I've got over 100 missiles.

Edit: BTW in case anyone else should find it useful - if you want to trigger a shinespark in midair, then press Y + B together. Seems to act as a shortcut to auto-trigger so as soon as you press those buttons together it cancels any other animation (e.g. spinning wall jump) and allows you to instantly initiate shinespark and set it's direction.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Setting aside another gaming session for Metroid Dread later this evening if everything goes according to plan

Metroid Dread makes me wanna play Fusion and the Metroid Prime games next year. Hoping for them to be ported to the Switch or Nintendo’s next console

~45% Items currently and last defeated the two Chozo warriors that attack in Ferenia

CGiRanger

Banned
Both Fusion and Zero Mission should definitely get some ports since most people wouldn't be able to play them now.

At least the Prime Trilogy got a re-release on the Wii U, but it definitely needs another one for the Switch. Guess that all depends on just what is happening with the supposed "Trilogy Remaster" if it exists or not.

Aldric

Both Fusion and Zero Mission should definitely get some ports since most people wouldn't be able to play them now.

At least the Prime Trilogy got a re-release on the Wii U, but it definitely needs another one for the Switch. Guess that all depends on just what is happening with the supposed "Trilogy Remaster" if it exists or not.
Don't worry GBA games will eventually be available in the new NSO Deluxe plan for a modest fee of 150 dollaridoos a month.

carlosrox

Banned
Taking my time with this beauty.

No kidding. I think I might only play this game once or twice a week. Makes it really tough to avoid spoilers and shit so it's risky but I play at my own pace and I really wanna appreciate my surroundings and not take anything for granted.

Tonight will only be my third real sit down or so with the game. I'm a bit nervous about the second boss cuz I already died to it two or three times but I wasn't really giving it my all either.

It's so exciting knowing there's a fucking ton of abilities I haven't gotten yet. I'm still so early into the game.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
No kidding. I think I might only play this game once or twice a week. Makes it really tough to avoid spoilers and shit so it's risky but I play at my own pace and I really wanna appreciate my surroundings and not take anything for granted.

Tonight will only be my third real sit down or so with the game. I'm a bit nervous about the second boss cuz I already died to it two or three times but I wasn't really giving it my all either.
Same here though in my case it's because it's been a busy work week so I've not had a chance to play since the previous weekend. Looking forward to tonight for sure.

Rran

I'm deeper in the game (feels like about 2/3rds, just guessing based on the power-ups I've acquired and when they typically show up in Metroid games) and it's been going very well. I am kind of hoping for more bosses like the second one--towering, hideous monstrosities--as that's still been my favorite part of the game so far.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished the game. I agree with the positive things that others have said and this may be my favorite Metroid game (it's been at least a decade since I've played Prime or Fusion though). That last boss was tough and my hands are still almost shaking lol. Looks like my percentage is only in the mid forties though, but I don't remember missing many upgrades if any... what counts towards raising the percentage? I do plan to go back and see what I missed though. Also, how do you get all of the gallery art?

Edit: Also, for those that have beaten the game, would you say this the hardest Metroid game ?
Edit 2: Nevermind, found a guid for unlocking stuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom