• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Trailer | Nintendo E3 2021

CGiRanger

Banned
Metroid: Dread.

This is that Mercury Steam game yeah? One they've kind of been sitting on for a while supposedly? Doesn't look too bad, if a bit uninteresting based off of what they've shown in that trailer.
It looks like the Mercury Steam engine used in Metroid Samus Returns

Glad they are getting work. I enjoyed their 2D Metroid so hope this new one will be even cooler

Last edited:

GetemMa

NCIolTb.jpg

CuNi

I am not gonna lie, it looked like a upscaled 3DS game. I'm glad Metroid is finally back on Nintendos Agenda with Dread and Prime 4 still in development, but Dread really looked rough graphics wise.

Looking forward to that Treehouse gameplay segment later on. if it's good it might be the final straw I needed to buy a Switch even tho I hoped to hold out for a Switch Pro.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Looks cool and I'm definitely down, but I can't help but feel like the game looks... a bit barren? At least in some way, I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The UI looked kinda strange to me as well.

Edit: I want to add an not in a "artistic" sense. Maybe it's because I liked my Metroid environments to have more variation? I know we're just seeing SOME footage, but everything just looked like various colors of gun metal. It was like a Metroid Shadow Complex mod, lmao.

Last edited:

dottme

I’m in for this game. It looks god for me. I think they say there will be more at the tree house.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it's the same team that did the absolute worst metroid returns game on the 3ds.
dear god.

I really hope this will be better,
the gameplay suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked in returns.

I do not dig that art style it looks so empty man

please be better 🤡

fuck that UI and map is straight out clown hour amateur shit

Last edited:

Stuart360

Not that i have a Switch, or intend of ever getting one, but if i DID have a Switch, i'd be so pissed after this when everyone for years seems to be waiting for Metroid Prime 4.

GeekyDad

Wtf is Nintendo doing... Was this made for the 3ds?

not like this GIF

Shitty art style that looks barely modified from whatever toolkit, more shitty chase sequences that ruined the 3DS one... neat abilities I guess?

There are an unlimited number of styles to take Metroid into 2020‘s with, THIS AIN’T IT.
You know what they say, opinions are like assholes.

I loved the 3DS game. This looks great to me.

Last edited:

Salmon

Well, to be honest. It looks really really bad. The art direction is out of sync totally. Samus moves WAY too fast and the overall contrast is absurd. Does not impress me one bit, and I've been dying for a new 2D Metroid game. Why Nintendo. WHY!

Also, the map looks like something sketched up in Paint

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Looks cool and I'm definitely down, but I can't help but feel like the game looks... a bit barren? At least in some way, I can't quite put my finger on what it is. The UI looked kinda strange to me as well.
Cold is the word you're looking for. And I think it was done on purpose based on the environment, the chasing robot, and how some parts are iced over. It's dreadful in a different way, a more silent and lifeless way. I dig it.

Orta

Banned
Meh, the more I see it the more lifeless it looks. I said elsewhere, the Metroidvania genre has moved on. This will have its work cut out elevating it above Ori, Dead Cells, etc.

Dr Bass

I'm really happy there seems to be a different premise for the game, though I'm guessing Metroids will show up at some point ...

But I've long wanted a Metroid that didn't have the Mother Brain, or Ridley etc etc.

Give me a new planet, a new mission, and new things.

Looks like this might be it, so I'm definitely looking forward to this now.

Top Bottom