• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Ice Metal: A Recommendation.

Nohar

Well, once I managed to land my hands on the Mega Ball upgrade, all my problems with this game vanished. I'm currently enjoying it, and managed to get the Super Missile (well, I'm still stuck with the regular beam and 1 energy tank, but it's manageable).

Damnation ! Is there any safe spots in the room where we battle Phantom ? ;_; Oh well, I managed to kill it. I just had to use regular missiles (he only does his most annoying attack if we fire a Super Missile at him).

So, numerous Energy Tank, Reserve Tank and Missiles upgrades unlocked. I have the Super Missile, and numerous Super Bomb too. I got the Ice Plate Armor just now... And I'm still with the regular beam. I'm wondering if I missed something or if I did unknowingly some sequence breaking.

This hack is interesting... But it really could use some shortcuts. The environment isn't really easy to navigate sometimes.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
End time: 4:55 (I definitely can shave this down)
Item Collection: 69.2%

I really don't have much different to say than I did earlier. I enjoyed what I played through. The hack itself is short, so it didn't really feel as though any one given area overstayed it's welcome. The environments were nice and built to be entirely different than Super Metroid's. Navigating them was fun and allowed a different approach depending on the skill you possessed or item you had equipped (barring places you had to have a specific item in order to proceed). The enemy placement was fine and offered a challenged, especially towards the end (more on that later), and it has some creative puzzles.

The one thing that felt the most different, was the item placement. I can give them credit for making you feel as though you really did just stumble onto certain things, and for rewarding you for exploring. That said, you're going to run into a ton of trouble towards the end if you don't look everywhere. When they throw the
un-freezeable metroids (wat) and giant sidehoppers
at you, you have to drain missiles, because the beams feel kind of weak. Maybe I was using the wrong combo, but the later enemies take hits and laugh. Was the grapple beam always this strong? It's op.

Some of the puzzles reward you for having skills that you learn outside of the game (which is fine I guess). I went into this knowing about short charging, but I can't imagine that everyone will. There are a couple of items where you have to have advanced knowledge of shine sparking to get them. This also could have used more creative puzzles, akin to the grappling hook puzzle for the missile.

The empty rooms without items got annoying, but I respect them for putting them in the game. You don't need a reward every time you go exploring(it's nice).

I know it's a hack, and unfair to judge them for it, but the bosses all felt randomly dropped into the game, with the last one being the biggest offender. I like fighting them and appreciate them keeping them, but maybe they could have done something creative with the rooms to give them a fresh feel, instead of treading old ground.

So, even with my gripes with the item placement feeling like it was illogical in spots, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I fucking miss this series being in 2D. :/

"It has been nearly six years since the last good Metroid game"

stealth other m shade bye

I believe this is the first time that my disdain for Other M has been described as "stealth". If you've seen my other posts on GAF regarding that game, you'll see I communicate my views pretty directly.

Well, once I managed to land my hands on the Mega Ball upgrade, all my problems with this game vanished. I'm currently enjoying it, and managed to get the Super Missile (well, I'm still stuck with the regular beam and 1 energy tank, but it's manageable).

Damnation ! Is there any safe spots in the room where we battle Phantom ? ;_; Oh well, I managed to kill it. I just had to use regular missiles (he only does his most annoying attack if we fire a Super Missile at him).

So, numerous Energy Tank, Reserve Tank and Missiles upgrades unlocked. I have the Super Missile, and numerous Super Bomb too. I got the Ice Plate Armor just now... And I'm still with the regular beam. I'm wondering if I missed something or if I did unknowingly some sequence breaking.

This hack is interesting... But it really could use some shortcuts. The environment isn't really easy to navigate sometimes.

The charge beam is in the game, but at a later stage. As a replacement, try using the grapple beam's hugely powerful disintegrator subfunction.

I haven't noticed the need for further shortcuts - but I'm a bit weird in my gaming because sometimes I like to get a little lost.

End time: 4:55 (I definitely can shave this down)
Item Collection: 69.2%

I really don't have much different to say than I did earlier. I enjoyed what I played through. The hack itself is short, so it didn't really feel as though any one given area overstayed it's welcome. The environments were nice and built to be entirely different than Super Metroid's. Navigating them was fun and allowed a different approach depending on the skill you possessed or item you had equipped (barring places you had to have a specific item in order to proceed). The enemy placement was fine and offered a challenged, especially towards the end (more on that later), and it has some creative puzzles.

The one thing that felt the most different, was the item placement. I can give them credit for making you feel as though you really did just stumble onto certain things, and for rewarding you for exploring. That said, you're going to run into a ton of trouble towards the end if you don't look everywhere. When they throw the
un-freezeable metroids (wat) and giant sidehoppers
at you, you have to drain missiles, because the beams feel kind of weak. Maybe I was using the wrong combo, but the later enemies take hits and laugh. Was the grapple beam always this strong? It's op.

Some of the puzzles reward you for having skills that you learn outside of the game (which is fine I guess). I went into this knowing about short charging, but I can't imagine that everyone will. There are a couple of items where you have to have advanced knowledge of shine sparking to get them. This also could have used more creative puzzles, akin to the grappling hook puzzle for the missile.

The empty rooms without items got annoying, but I respect them for putting them in the game. You don't need a reward every time you go exploring(it's nice).

I know it's a hack, and unfair to judge them for it, but the bosses all felt randomly dropped into the game, with the last one being the biggest offender. I like fighting them and appreciate them keeping them, but maybe they could have done something creative with the rooms to give them a fresh feel, instead of treading old ground.

So, even with my gripes with the item placement feeling like it was illogical in spots, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I fucking miss this series being in 2D. :/

Thanks for your views. I see your point on the bosses -
clearly hacking hasn't progressed to the point where they can be replaced with entirely new encounters
- and further environment changes could have helped negate this.

Glad you enjoyed it too. As I said in the OP, its not perfect, but its a very enjoyable experience.

Sophia

I have a small problem : is it possible to grab edges in Super Metroid ? Because in the beginning, right after I get the Morphing Ball in this hack rom, I get stuck in some aeras because the path is up, but I can't reach it in morph ball mode.

Have the same problem. Anyone? Please don't tell me it's actually possible to get stuck? lol

I'm not going to be of any help, because I don't really remember the part you're at very well. I didn't get stuck there though. Try looking for bombs or jumping and morphing in midair.

This is the part they're referring to. If you grab the morph ball and immediately go back the other direction, you can go down and get stuck here. As far as I can tell there's no way out judging from about 30 minutes of trying. You can do an insanely difficult mid air morphball to get out, but it's far beyond the skills of the average person. This is not comparable to Super Metroid's difficult curve.

Not really impressed with this romhack. It has none of the subtlety or charm of a Nintendo developed Metroid, and nothing unique to make up for that.

This is the part they're referring to. If you grab the morph ball and immediately go back the other direction, you can go down and get stuck here. As far as I can tell there's no way out judging from about 30 minutes of trying. You can do an insanely difficult mid air morphball to get out, but it's far beyond the skills of the average person. This is not comparable to Super Metroid's difficult curve.

I somehow missed this problem. Its clearly a design fault or bug - no other parts of the game to my recollection requires a manoeuvre so taxing - and if you go there with the mega ball the problem doesn't occur, right?

That baffling section - and one completely optional room in the hot section - are the only absurd difficulty oversights I am aware of in the game. Those aside, I'd stand by the assertion that the difficulty curve is comparable to Super Metroid.

Not really impressed with this romhack. It has none of the subtlety or charm of a Nintendo developed Metroid, and nothing unique to make up for that.

Well, since I can't counter "charm", I'll address your other points. Saying the game has "nothing unique" when Samus can explore a frozen ocean, or a buried complex in an organic shell, or
the internal wirings of a gigantic Aurora Unit
, seems very short-sighted. Saying that it lacks subtlety when (for example) it weaves its logs into the map download stations, and has a design that facilitates dramatic sequence breaking without breaking the game, is quite unfair.

Just how far into the game did you progress, do you mind me asking?

I finally got around to playing this and I think I took a less than optimal route because I am getting worked in every direction. Right now, the only items I have are
missiles, super missiles, and the morph ball upgrade
and I just defeated
Crocomire, (Kraid and Spore Spawn before that)
. I looked at some let's play videos and the people had way more items than I currently have. In fact, that boss fight was a huge pain due to my low item levels and no charge beam.

Now I'm stuck in a Norfair type area that has power bomb markings everywhere, but I don't have power bombs. The entrance to this area was a large chute that can't be climbed or wall jumped out of. And the enemies are taking 10+ shots to kill.

On top of all this, I'm using a flash cart so I can't (ab)use stave states.

Any advice?

I downloaded an ips application but which part of a file to I apply it to? I downloaded Ice Metal file and there are more files in it. Do I apply all of them to the SM rom file?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Pretty cool! Never heard it before, will definitely check it out now! Between this, Smash and NEW SMB, it's a goooood time for big romhacks

Could you see if the Control Freak Patch works with this patch? Control Freak literally makes Super Metroid 10x better in terms of getting rid of some of the "clunkiness" in the controls, but Metroid Super Zero Mission broke the Speed Booster with it, because they both changed some of its mechanics. I'd love to start playing this patch, but not if I get totally bummed out over Control Freak again.
[
url]https://m2k2.taigaforum.com/post/sm_control_freak.html[/url]

Dunno what the heck are you talking about but you got my full attention.
Do go on, please.

Bumping an old thread but I started playing this and I'll say that the difficulty is really inconsistent. The above mentioned stuck point isn't even as bad as some others I've found by exploring. If like me you went right after getting the morph ball and bombs and get stuck in the area where you fight spore spawn in water without the gravity suit. Getting out of this area requires a really tricky bomb jump chain. I also hate how their are no save rooms or if they exist they're incredibly rare. Yeah I know save states can fix this issue but if you were to play this on real hardware or without them you spend a lot of time back tracking to the ship to save. Also the enemies are really inconsistent it's very easy to run into enemies that take waaaaay too much damage unless you unload missiles into them. I wouldn't call this vanilla Super Metroid difficulty but I would say it's lower on the scale compared to most Super Metroid rom hacks I've tried.

Top Bottom