• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer = 60 fps

SantaC

I remember reading in newest Game Informer that Retro said they will make sure multiplayer also (single player) runs in 60 fps. It's quite clear that Retro Studios sacrifices some graphics for extra fps. Good choice or not? I think so.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Good Choice. TimeSplitters 2 sacrificed some graphical prowess for a locked 60 FPS experience, and it made the multiplayer in the game fast and frantic as hell. The best part is that the game still looked good, just not as good as it could have looked.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
60 fps or no, i just don't see how multiplayer metroid (at least competitive, coop would be cool) can be fun.

IJoel

MP's gameplay doesn't strike me as one that would really need 60 fps. But, hey the game looks great, so it's icing on the cake. :p

SantaC

Lan was still a possibility according to some sources. Retro was 70% done with the game at E3 so they will have some extra months to add and polish things.

AniHawk

Schafer said:
60 fps or no, i just don't see how multiplayer metroid (at least competitive, coop would be cool) can be fun.

Oh, I had my doubts at first too, but it is fun. Believe me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AniHawk said:
Oh, I had my doubts at first too, but it is fun. Believe me.

I assume it still uses the lock on mechanics from MP1, which seems to me, would remove all the skill from the combat. Perhaps I'm wrong, but would't it just be who could spam their attacks faster then then other since aim and dodging wouldn't really come into play?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Considering you can jump around, transform into morph ball mode and speed out of there, drop power bombs, do screw attacks, no, it's not as simple as it seems.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kobun Heat said:
Can Master Chief roll into a ball? I didn't think so.

If he was scared then I could see him rolling into a ball like fetal position. And thats close enough for me.

Ristamar

From what I understand, you can't lock onto the morph ball. Also, does anyone know if the shots have a limited ability to home on the target in multiplayer mode as they do in single player? I'd hope not...

AniHawk

Schafer said:
I assume it still uses the lock on mechanics from MP1, which seems to me, would remove all the skill from the combat. Perhaps I'm wrong, but would't it just be who could spam their attacks faster then then other since aim and dodging wouldn't really come into play?

It takes a bit to completely kill a person in multiplayer mode. It's not like three blasts does the trick. Plus there are health balls all over the place, and the various upgrades you get really kick ass.

Me: ::gets invinciblity upgrade::
Guy: ::shooting at me:: Why are you all silver? Why are my shots bouncing off you?? WHY DID MY MISSILE BOUNCE OFF YOU?
Me: ::keeps firing missiles at him until his Samus explodes:: I got an invincibility upgrade.

Invisibility is even more fun, because it's not like Halo where you're cloaked, you're completely invisible, and I think even your blasts are.

AniHawk

Ristamar said:
From what I understand, you can't lock onto the morph ball. Also, does anyone know if the shots have a limited ability to home on the target in multiplayer mode as they do in single player? I'd hope not...

I thought you could lock on for as long as you want. Memory's a bit fuzzy on that. And you can lock onto a morph ball, but it's hard to hit it because your shots usually end up behind it if it's going too fast.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Even though parts of multiplayer are still a mystery. I would like to see different Samus' or Samii. Have a Samus from Each Metroid with correct colour and weapon set. That would be a great feature.

SantaC

It's a good thing that the multiplayer in MP2 basicly have no hype. It will turn out to a pleasant surprise.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm keeping open minded: Nintendo was able to make great multiplayer out of Zelda, they sure as hell can do it, and are, with Metroid, as it seems.

suikodan

Musashi Wins! said:
No LAN correct? No online is a given. Can't wait for the single player at least.

I know I asked the question at the E3 roundtable about LAN connectivity. The persons in front were puzzled. I never got an answer :p

Mrbob

60FPS of boredom is still boring. I still can't believe precious resources are being wasted on the multiplayer version when it all should be put on the single player.

SantaCruZer said:
It's a good thing that the multiplayer in MP2 basicly have no hype. It will turn out to a pleasant surprise.

Yeah if you only own a Gamecube.

And lo, the haterz will be own3d when they actually play the goddamned game instead of bitching about how it's teh suck.

I played it at E3, and it was an absolute blast. It's not all that tough to dodge if you know how; the strafe-dash and double-jump work pretty well. So you end up trying to get a tactical advantage over your opponents (sneaking up on them, getting better weapons, etc) rather than just the "hold L, smash on A" feature that you all seem so afraid of.

So quit fucking whining. Christ. Everyone who's posted on any of the MP2 multiplayer threads who actually played it has IIRC said it's awesome.

HAOHMARU

OMG, 60fps? Nintendo is the suxors. When will they start making games 120fps!? 60fps is unbearable...especially for a first person shooter. Oh well, guess I am going to skip MP2.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I suppose if they have NOTHING BETTER TO DO, then 60 FPS will be a nice way to kill the time until it releases.

Top Bottom