• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force's ending and what it means for Metroid. (SPOILERS)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know who would make Prime 4, though. I doubt that's what Retro is working on. I feel like NLG is most at home with games that have cartoon-y or arcade-y elements, so Prime 4 doesn't seem like a good fit. Perhaps Retro after their next game? Perhaps Nintendo would contract out with another studio to handle things, but I can't think of who that would be.

Neoxon

I don't know who would make Prime 4, though. I doubt that's what Retro is working on. I feel like NLG is most at home with games that have cartoon-y or arcade-y elements, so Prime 4 doesn't seem like a good fit. Perhaps Retro after their next game? Perhaps Nintendo would contract out with another studio to handle things, but I can't think of who that would be.
I mean, Retro clearly still has talent, but I'm not sure if it's the same talent capable of doing another Metroid Prime game. And even then, as you said, they're likely working on something else entirely.

Fularu

Banned
The price of Other M entered free fall very soon after release. You can currently buy it new for 4 pounds. Used for 2 pounds. You're a Nintendo fan yourself, I think I won't have to tell you how much their successful Wii games are still worth.
Sin and Punishment 2 was 10$ less than 2 months after release

I guess that means the game was trash

Sin and punishment 2 probably freefell for a different reason. If I was a betting man, I'd it's because they used the sales of a £7/$10 virtual console game to justify a sequel and probably massively over estimated how many sales a full retail priced game would get. Other M freefell because they made (at the time) the weakest game in the franchise, while also predicting it to be among the best sellers, and printing copies accordingly.

KHlover

Banned

They've never given any indication that they feel like it was a failure to them. They have not deterred from using the game's designs or imagery, either. Sakamoto is still clearly the guy in charge, despite his lack of interest in the series for whatever reason. He isn't passing the torch to anyone.

On top of that, Nintendo has NOT ONCE responded to that game's controversy, despite responding quickly to game controversies of their creations since. That tells me that they don't feel guilty or ashamed about it.

No, it means the game was a commercial failure.

Mael

Linkstrikesback, you remove (at the time).
Metroid Blast Ball is a better game than Other M ever was.

S&P2 is a critical success (seriously high 8s for a Wii game in 2010?).
While Other M is a critical and commercial failure.
People online still talk fondly of S&P2 (you even have youtube vids talking about it when talking about hidden gems), the same can't be said about Other M.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Retro clearly still has talent, but I'm not sure if it's the same talent capable of doing another Metroid Prime game. And even then, as you said, they're likely working on something else entirely.

Yeah, that's another reason why I'm not sure Retro would be the team to make Prime 4. I think my impressions of Retro and what they can do in the 2010s will be greatly shaped by whatever their next project is and the scope of it.

Instro

Well, the thing is that the ones doing the evil things aren't in control of the Federation. The Federation itself is still good. So at the end of Fusion Samus is hoping that the Federation will believe her story about why she blew up their lab and SR-388, since the ones behind the plot aren't going to vouch for her and she has no evidence that the X existed. She makes no intent to run away from the Federation.

I really don't think there's a game there after Fusion. Samus destroyed the metroids and the X and is flying home to stand trial for her "crimes." Maybe an Ace Attorney crossover. But Fusion wrapped things up nicely.

Maybe we'll get a continuation after Alien 5 comes out and gives Sakamoto ideas about where to go with it.

I don't think it's all that hard. It could be the jumping off point for Samus to leave Federation space, maybe she is on the run or disillusioned. Maybe she goes searching for the Chozo, whatever. I think it would be neat if she ended up on some kind of lawless outer rim planet hunting bounties, but ends up discovering a deep labyrinth underneath the planet.

If they want to push the Sylux angle, have him be a bounty, or vice versa.

Am I the only guy who liked Hunters?

Campaign was whatever and repetitive, but the multiplayer was awesome. Very robust for a DS FPS, probably the best there is on the platform.

Hunters were cool too. Trace/Sylux/Kanden were cool.

Exodust

Banned
With SA-X and Dark Samus, so we really need another "rival" type enemy for Samus? Doesn't help that Sylux is incredibly boring and Corruption did the other Bounty Hunters thing better.

Who gives a fuck about Sylux?

Tanabe has the same problem as Sakamoto, they don't understand why people like their respective Metroid series. Of course as we saw with Other M and to some degree Fusion, Sakamoto thinks that people care about "Samus's feelings" and her "maternal instincts". With Tanabe you see he's hellbent on making Prime into this big cheesy action game that involves the Galactic Federation and other bounty hunters.

News flash: Most people don't give a shit about any of that. We just wanna plop down on a remote alien world and explore a giant maze. That's it. We don't need dumb storylines about a character from a forgettable DS spinoff, likewise we don't need dumb storylines on how Samus sucks up to Adam all day or how she considers a baby alien lifeform her surrogate son.

Ogodei

Corruption in the Federation is a theme that both the main series and the Prime series have been building towards.

Maybe they'll reveal they're set in different universes and have Metroid: Final Crisis.

Sylux is the only one who knows there are two of them :p

Edit: of the various Hunters, Splinter from the Krikken Empire was the one that always stood out to me. That opened the door to another faction bent on Galactic Conquest that they could use instead of the Space Pirates.

News flash: Most people don't give a shit about any of that. We just wanna plop down on a remote alien world and explore a giant maze. That's it. We don't need dumb storylines about a character from a forgettable DS spinoff, likewise we don't need dumb storylines on how Samus sucks up to Adam all day or how she considers a baby alien lifeform her surrogate son.
Calm down bro, awfully presumptuous to think anything that will actually involve controlling samus will not have any of those things after what happened with Other M.

Rambler

With SA-X and Dark Samus, so we really need another "rival" type enemy for Samus? Doesn't help that Sylux is incredibly boring and Corruption did the other Bounty Hunters thing better.
I'd rather see the Prime 3 bounty hunters again than any of the characters from Hunters. It's strange that they killed off the good designs but kept the bland ones.

Like damn dude, you want to make a mech spin-off don't make it about generic troopers. Make it about Ghor.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I always found the Metroid series fascinating because prior to Fusion and Other M, the story largely revolved around the civilizations Samus explored. It was the only series I had ever experienced that rarely delved into the main character's backstory while primarily focusing on the world he or she is venturing in.

Discovering what happened to a long-lost species via artifacts and written lore in the Prime series is what sets Prime 1 and 2 above the rest of the games for me.

jonno394

Would be nice to see Metroid back on home console, as close to launch as possible to help round out the line up, but I think that's setting my expectations far too high!

Ogodei

I personally don't trust Nintendo with a Metroid game.

It goes back to Nintendo's policy on their lesser franchises and only making a game for them if they have a new idea.

Although now that they're down to one development pipeline (not counting mobile which should be a pittance of their manpower) there could be more space for franchises like StarFox, F-Zero, and Metroid (ironically, all franchises in which there is a Galactic Federation) to prosper.

rekameohs

Banned
I always found the Metroid series fascinating because prior to Fusion and Other M, the story largely revolved around the civilizations Samus explored. It was the only series I had ever experienced that rarely delved into the main character's backstory while primarily focusing on the world he or she is venturing in.

Discovering what happened to a long-lost species via artifacts and written lore in the Prime series is what sets Prime 1 and 2 above the rest of the games for me.
Prime 3 had plenty of that too. Personally, I think that the Bryyo history is the best told story of any of the logs, even if it's got fewer than the Prime 1 and 2 entries. The Prime and Echoes logs generally focused on societal decay after the Phazon meteor hit, but Bryyo talks about a cataclysm taking place due to civil war well before Phazon comes into play.

Escargo

Campaign was whatever and repetitive, but the multiplayer was awesome. Very robust for a DS FPS, probably the best there is on the platform.

Nah man I'm with you. I genuinely had fun with the multiplayer. I'll disagree with you on Kanden though, Spire was better ;)

I figured the ending was more a prelude to Metroid II, with the Federation deeming the species too dangerous after experimenting on the one in the ending.

That would make a lot of sense, considering
Samus is rocking her Metroid Prime 3 ship, and the very next game in the timeline is... Metroid 2.

mStudios

"Nintendo can't make another Metroid game"

The who the fuck is gonna make it? EA?

Nintendo is more than capable of doing it. Y'all crazy.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

S&P2 is a critical success (seriously high 8s for a Wii game in 2010?).
While Other M is a critical and commercial failure.
People online still talk fondly of S&P2 (you even have youtube vids talking about it when talking about hidden gems), the same can't be said about Other M.
Other m isn't even that critical a failure

Griss

If Retro can't do it I'd love to see MonolithSoft do it.

They clearly have the artistic and graphical capabilities to do big-budget sci-fi, and if you make it purely about a silent Samus exploring a planet it would remove the terrible writing, cutscenes, and inventory management from their next game, which is what ruined XCX. From that perspective it could be good for Monolith (emphasising their strengths while removing their weaknesses) and good for Metroid.

rekameohs

Banned
Other m isn't even that critical a failure
Other M's an interesting case because it got decent reviews on launch, likely due to it being so long since a classic series Metroid and that itch got scratched, but time has soured a lot of people on it. Other M goes down without too much fuss, but it's got a hell of an aftertaste.

Griss

Other M's an interesting case because it got decent reviews on launch, likely due to it being so long since classic series Metroid, but time has soured a lot of people on it. Other M goes down without too much fuss, but it's got a hell of an aftertaste.

It wasn't just time. I remember being devastated at the initial release trailer. Just shocked. The positive reaction to it blew my mind. There were others like me, who saw the 'anime' pivot coming and were horrified.

At launch the fanbase immediately revolted, it was just the reviewers who gave it 'decent' scores.

I remember the backlash after release being so bad that I didn't even buy the game day 1. When I came to it my expectations were so rock-bottom that I was actually expecting to enjoy it for what it was. The fact that it wildly surpassed what I believed the worst case scenario was is still surprising to me to this day.

I like how both 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime trended towards more Galactic Federation despite the Galactic Federation ending up being by far the least interesting aspect of the universe time after time after time.

Sylux has such a boring, generic design. I really hope that's not what the big villain is going to be in the future of the series.

With that said, in the end I'll just be happy to get to play a new single player Metroid game, even if Sylux is the main antagonist.

Metroid 2 remake
incoming then, it all makes sense now!

I'd laugh if there is when
it turns out worse than AM2R

Calling it now, sylux as an alternate reality/clone/future samus in some form.

Not sure I agree. From what I played of Blast ball, it feels like a crappy rocket league and not much more.

Yup, im with you. Thats why I'm glad they're making sylux a thing.

Corruption 3 hunters are only more liked than the prime hunters only cause they actually had dialouge, appeared in a prime game and not a spin off and have a backstory. I bet once the next real 3D game metroid comes out and we actually learn of sylux's backstory yada yada everyone will like him better

It doesnt mean shit because it doesnt happen after fusion, also i dont think is going to sell that well to sustain another fucking metroid prime story.
Lol at master brain.

SoulUnison

Banned
I wish they wouldn't try to involve these shitty Lego Bionix rip-off Hunters characters so much in Metroid.

My problem with the Hinter's designs is that they all had to be extremely simple geometrically and predominantly one "signature" color to be technically possible and "read" correctly on the DS hardware.

Now Sylux will apparently move forward to systems with more horsepower and less limitation, but the basic character design just...doesn't have enough going on to justify it.

latest

That doesn't look like a humanoid creature in a suit, to me. It looks like some sort of VR opponent you'd see in a training simulation, or like a character you'd see in some bottom-of-the-barrel sci-fi Steam Early Access game.

Hinchy

So, that's Sylux, right? It's still a bit ambiguous, just like the Prime 3 ship was ambiguous.

But FF's ending tease reinforcing Prime 3's ending tease gives me hope that that plot thread hasn't been dropped, and means we'll be getting Prime 4.

Frankly, I thought from the get-go that the existence of a new Metroid Prime branded spinoff meant that we'll be seeing Prime 4 at some point sooner rather than later regardless.

But I think this is a good sign nonetheless. There's something reassuring about the plausibility that the Prime 4 we will get is still rooted in the ideas of what a Prime 4 would be like from the people that made Prime 3, even though it's not the same Retro overall (if it even IS Retro).

Yeah, enough. I hated the "Dark Samus" focus in Prime 2 and 3, especially since that entity is actually the titular character, Metroid Prime. Having it be a Samus wannabe was just dumb (although I did chuckle at the Space Pirate scans where they're like "OMG now there are 2 of them!).

On the other hand: whatever. Prime 3 had the other bounty hunters, and though they at least weren't bad Samus rip-offs, they were still pretty lame. The game was fantastic anyway, so if that's what it takes to get another good Metroid game, so be it.

Edit: oh, and if Nintendo announces a new "real" Metroid game, then I'll go ahead and buy the spin-off, just like I've done in the past with Hunters and Pinball. But I'm not buying a spin-off when there's not a main game that it was spun off from.

Hedgey

That was such a pathetic looking final boss...
I really hope they stay away from 3D Portable adventures. Metroid did the same thing Castlevania on the GBA, 2D games on the portable, 3D spectacles on home console.
Let's keep it that way.

AntMurda

There's literally hundreds of Western developers who make FPS / FPA games. If Nintendo is enthusiastic about searching for a contract dev to work for Tanabe, they will do it.

That was such a pathetic looking final boss...
I really hope they stay away from 3D Portable adventures. Metroid did the same thing Castlevania on the GBA, 2D games on the portable, 3D spectacles on home console.
Let's keep it that way.

With the NX blurring the lines between console vs handheld, we could be seeing both styles on both form factors.

I feel like Metroid is being ruined by something it never really needed in the first place.

A fucking focus on storytelling and more characters.

Like the other poster said, just make a stupid maze that we can slowly explore and discover as we find more traversal upgrades. Alone. No extra characters need to be designed. No voice actors needed. No walls of text needs to be written. No story needs to be told and no cut-scenes need to be made.

It's like the dream project for any developer who doesn't want to spend a fortune on production costs. And you will keep a pretty sizable and loyal fan-base happy, one that is big enough to make that shit profitable, since it won't cost too much to make anyway.

I mean, it's not that hard to figure it out.

Right. Metroid's world building should come from small details and finding things for yourself, like from scans. It doesn't need an 'elaborate' story, and large cast.

Nags

Banned
I feel like Metroid is being ruined by something it never really needed in the first place.

A fucking focus on storytelling and more characters.

Like the other poster said, just make a stupid maze that we can slowly explore and discover as we find more traversal upgrades. Alone. No extra characters need to be designed. No voice actors needed. No walls of text needs to be written. No story needs to be told and no cut-scenes need to be made.

It's like the dream project for any developer who doesn't want to spend a fortune on production costs. And you will keep a pretty sizable and loyal fan-base happy, one that is big enough to make that shit profitable, since it won't cost too much to make anyway.

I mean, it's not that hard to figure it out.

I couldn't agree more. I don't need or want character development in a Metroid game.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
There's literally hundreds of Western developers who make FPS / FPA games. If Nintendo is enthusiastic about searching for a contract dev to work for Tanabe, they will do it.

Yeah, that's true. Thinking about it, I wonder if a group like the people who made SOMA would be interested. My main sources of hesitation were the necessary team size (seems to me that a lot of FPA or Metroid-esque games today are made by smaller teams) and the style of combat, gameplay, and storytelling that the Prime games have had (which is different most FPSs, though Prime 3 did suggest change could happen). I haven't played any of the -Shock games, but perhaps teams that made those would be into it. Though I also know the big names behind those have been shut down.

Top Bottom