• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico hardware numbers

Mexico LTD till end of Dec. 07:

PS2: 860.000 [Launch: 2004]
360: 550.000 [Launch: Feb. 06] [23.913 units/month]
PSP: 380.000
NDS: 330.000
WII: 220.000 [Launch: Nov. 06] [15.714 units/month]
PS3: 60.000 [Launch: Aug. 07] [12.000 units/month]
sources: source 1 / source 2

North America till end of Dec. 07:

360:
USA: 9.150.000
Can.: 710.000
Mex.: 550.000
------------------------
Total: 10.410.000

WII:
USA: 7.370.000
Can.: 650.000
Mex.: 220.000
------------------------
Total: 8.240.000

PS3:
USA: 3.240.000
Can.: 310.000
Mex.: 60.000
------------------------
Total: 3.610.000

North America till end of July 08:

WII:
USA: 11.410.000
Can.: 1.060.000
Mex.: 220.000 [till end of Dec. 07]
------------------------
Total: 12.690.000

360:
USA: 10.700.000
Can.: 870.000
Mex.: 550.000 [till end of Dec. 07]
------------------------
Total: 12.120.000

PS3:
USA: 5.080.000
Can.: 520.000
Mex.: 60.000 [till end of Dec. 07]
------------------------
Total: 5.660.000

[corrected v. 2.0]

growth rates:

360: 12.120.000-10.410.000 = 1.710.000/12.120.000 = 0,141089109 = 14%
PS3: 5.660.000-3.610.000 = 2.050.000/5.660.000 = 0,362190813 = 36%
Wii: 12.690.000-8.240.000 = 4.450.000/12.690.000 = 0,350669819 = 35%

I AM I DOING IT RITE GAF; AM I? AM I?!

[corrected v. 2.0]

At steady (thus hypothetical) growth rates in two years (4 terms) we'll have:
360: 12.120.000*(1,14^4)=20.470.197
PS3: 5.660.000*(1,36^4)=19.362.974
Wii: 12.690.000*(1,35^4)=42 149 914

WELCOME CHANG3....Wii ahead of ps3+360 combined.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
pgtl_10 said:
Nintendo can't conquer Mexico? Nintendomination incomplete!

Mexico and New Zealand are the only kingdoms free from the tyranny and oppression of the Nintendo Empire.

pgtl_10

industrian said:
Mexico and New Zealand are the only kingdoms free from the tyranny and oppression of the Nintendo Empire.

This is unacceptable! They will be assimilated!

bush_borg.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Kilrogg said:
Norway and Finland too, no?
Yep, atleast in Norway. Atleast when it comes to the software sales. PS3 and Xbox 360 have a bigger market shares than the Wii (i have no idea if this marketshare is counted in total revenue of sales or if it is total numbers of games sold). I have no idea about hardware numbers though :\

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
test_account said:
Yep, atleast in Norway. Atleast when it comes to the software sales. PS3 and Xbox 360 have a bigger market shares than the Wii (i have no idea if this marketshare is counted in total revenue of sales or if it is total numbers of games sold). I have no idea about hardware numbers though :\

The hardware numbers must be pretty low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are two countries that are much more into PC games, aren't they?

Kilrogg said:
The hardware numbers must be pretty low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are two countries that are much more into PC games, aren't they?
Yes, the Nordic countries(Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland) is much more into PC gaming.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kilrogg said:
Ye, as Copycat_Wannabe said, PC gaming is relatively popular in the Nordic Countries :)
I posted some info about the 1st half of 2008 sales in Norway here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12496723&postcount=87

EDIT: I found some hardware numbers for Norway from the end of 2007 for the PS2, the PS3 and the Wii:

PS2 = almost 600,000
PS3 = about 57,000
Wii = about 57,000

The article say that the PS2 has sold almost 600k until now (in the end of 2007 that is), so i assume that is the LTD numbers for the PS2. I dont know if the PS3 and the Wii numbers are from 2007 only (well, PS3 was launched in 2007 in Europe, but Wii was launched in December 2006 or so).

Unfortunately there are no numbers for the Xbox 360 since Microsoft doesnt give them out.

Source:

http://www.itavisen.no/sak/503735/Spillsalget_øker_og_øker/ (unfortunately in Norwegian only i think).

:)

Are these numbers of purchased systems or kidnapped units?

I got an "X" button and a piece of a d-pad in the mail along with a ransome note.

They mean business over there!

Taurus

Kilrogg said:
Norway and Finland too, no?
Do we have reliable hw numbers from Finland? At least Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit and SSBB are doing pretty darn good for Nintendo games in Finland.

The software list system in Finland is quite stupid; the multiplatform games rule the charts because they combine PS3, PC and XO version sales. In addition they don't give out any numbers. http://www.pelit.fi/index.php?id=virallinenlista

As you can see, there are only 2 exclusive games on the top 10 list: Singstar SuomiRock for PS2 and Wii Fit for Wii. The PS2 is/was a fucking beast here, had propably about 80% of the hw sales.

As mentioned, the good sales of some popular Wii titles could mean that there's quite a big Wii userbase in Finland but without official numbers this is just guessing.

Btw last time Nintendo was popular in Finland before Wii was sometimes when Super Nintendo released.

Fewr

Bizzyb said:
More like that's all the units Nintendo decided to send to Mexico
Not true, there are loads of consoles everywhere I've looked. The problem is that the price is prohibitively expensive: gamplanet (mexico's biggest videogame retailer) is selling them currently at $4,990MXN, which according to the FT's currency converter is $492.523 USD. I do know there are places where the console can be bought at a lower price, but still that lower price will be far far away from $2,532.88 MXN (the equivalent to $250 USD).

andydumi said:
I dont believe so.
Funny, it seems Rare and MS have even been promoting a videogame for a nonexistant console then.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/viva-pinata/bigass-mexican-viva-pinata-218948.php

EDIT: what constitutes an official launch anyway? is it a man waving a flag to signal the console race has started?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bizzyb said:
More like that's all the units Nintendo decided to send to Mexico

The Wii hasn't even been launched officially in Mexico. Almost everybody I know from there bought their Wiis in the USA during the holidays and brought them to town after them.

Fewr said:
Not true, there are loads of consoles everywhere I've looked. The problem is that the price is prohibitively expensive: gamplanet (mexico's biggest videogame retailer) is selling them currently at $4,990MXN, which according to the FT's currency converter is $492.523 USD. I do know there are places where the console can be bought at a lower price, but still that lower price will be far far away from $2,532.88 MXN (the equivalent to $250 USD).

I find this interesting. Do you have the price for the 360?

industrian

Regulus Tera said:
The Wii hasn't even been launched officially in Mexico. Almost everybody I know from there bought their Wiis in the USA during the holidays and brought them to town after them.

Goddamn Mexicans. Coming up here and stealing hard working Americans' Wiis.

Vote Buchanan.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
industrian said:
Goddamn Mexicans. Coming up here and stealing hard working Americans' Wiis.

Vote Buchanan.

Ungrateful gringos; you wouldn't survive without our help. D=

Joke; everything's cool man.

Fewr

Regulus Tera said:
I find this interesting. Do you have the price for the 360?
XBOX 360 ELITE SYSTEM.-360
$5990.00 MXN
$591.255 USD

XBOX 360 PRO / CON 2 JUEGOS.-360
$4990.00 MXN
$492.548 USD

XBOX 360 SYSTEM CORE.-360
$3990.00 MXN
$393.841 USD

----

PLAYSTATION 3 80GB CON JUEGO FORMULA 1.-PS3
$7890.00 MXN (lawl, 7 - 8 - 9 - 0)
$778.798 USD

PLAYSTATION 3 40GB.-PS3
$6990.00 MXN
$690.207 USD

PLAYSTATION 3: 20GB.-PS3
$6190.00 MXN
$610.996 USD

I suspect the store are importers, but still.. imoritng + revenue per console sold shouldn't be that much.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Fewr said:
I suspect the store are importers, but still.. imoritng + revenue per console sold shouldn't be that much.

It's been like that since forever. I remember buying Ocarina of Time for $999 MXN back in the day.

I wonder how much are all of these consoles in the different tianguis around the country. From what I've heard, piracy has become a bit less prominent since Calderón's government started.

Crateman

It's not a surprise to see how much the 360 is selling here... I mean, although the PS3 is officially released here, the support from Sony is null at best: Do you want PSN? Sorry, stick to the demos and free stuff 'cause we won't accept your credit cards. Do you want a fixed price for the console? Naahhh, let's just let the retailers choose how much they will charge for the PS3. You say they are selling it for almost $700 in some places? Reggienotmyproblem.gif .

And Nintendo... since the Gamecube era Mexico doesn't exist on the world map for Nintendo. All the stuff they sell it's directly imported.

Microsoft it the only one doing their job: They somewhat establish a fixed price for their stuff, Xbox Live and the Marketplace works just like in the US -Except movies on demand and all that stuff that nobody uses-, the usual turnaround time for a RROD 360 is one week... no wonder they are at number one.

On the firmware hack: yes, people still find games expensive and they flash their units to play $5 games... but the retail market is skyrocketing. People, slowly, are starting to realize the benefits of buying legal products. Microsoft knows that having a good customer service and online infrastructure is a good hook to make people buy legal.

industrian

Regulus Tera said:
Ungrateful gringos; you wouldn't survive without our help. D=

Joke; everything's cool man.

I'm not even American. ;p

Conversely, I was a lousy European stealing a PS3 from a hardworking Canadian.
VGP FTW.

Fewr

Regulus Tera said:
I wonder how much are all of these consoles in the different tianguis around the country. From what I've heard, piracy has become a bit less prominent since Calderón's government started.
When I was a kid I used to buy exclusively in tianguis because the difference in pries was utterly outrageous. I think the only game I bought in a proper store was Killer Instinct and only because they gave the music cd and a mario themed watch with it (still, I think my dad paid about $1,500-2,000 mxn).
Now it seems that thanks to slight competition among liverpool, gameplanet and other minor shops the prices of legal retailers have gone down, whereas the price in tianguis has gone up.

Crateman said:
It's not a surprise to see how much the 360 is selling here... I mean, although the PS3 is officially released here, the support from Sony is null at best: Do you want PSN? Sorry, stick to the demos and free stuff 'cause we won't accept your credit cards. Do you want a fixed price for the console? Naahhh, let's just let the retailers choose how much they will charge for the PS3. You say they are selling it for almost $700 in some places? Reggienotmyproblem.gif .

And Nintendo... since the Gamecube era Mexico doesn't exist on the world map for Nintendo. All the stuff they sell it's directly imported.

Microsoft it the only one doing their job: They somewhat establish a fixed price for their stuff, Xbox Live and the Marketplace works just like in the US -Except movies on demand and all that stuff that nobody uses-, the usual turnaround time for a RROD 360 is one week... no wonder they are at number one.

On the firmware hack: yes, people still find games expensive and they flash their units to play $5 games... but the retail market is skyrocketing. People, slowly, are starting to realize the benefits of buying legal products. Microsoft knows that having a good customer service and online infrastructure is a good hook to make people buy legal.
MS has been amazing in mexico to be honest. They stick to american release calendars, the service for rrod is superb, and even though we don't get films or anything like that at least we don't get many adverts lol. ( didn't know that about ps3 btw... I wanted to buy one this christmas, but they're making this decision harder and harder).
Nintendo has been much better than before, I mean at least we get games in spanish now. Casual games can be the most amazing thing ever for grandmas, but if they aren't in spanish it's quite difficult for grandmas to not really understand because I can translate, but overcome the alienation they feel by default. Moreover, Nintendo has been quite good at replicating the american release calendar as well, I think we got Wii Fit one or two days after the official NA release date. My only complaint is taht if yr wii dies then bai bai virtual console et al purchases.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I knew this. Part of my wife's family is Mexican and her little brothers were asking for a 360 saying it was the most popular console there. I ended up buying them one :D.

Crateman

Fewr said:
Now it seems that thanks to slight competition among liverpool, gameplanet and other minor shops the prices of legal retailers have gone down, whereas the price in tianguis has gone up.
Indeed. 5 years ago, the only way you could get games at decent prices was buying them in the grey market -imported illegaly from the US-. Nowadays, the prices are practically similar everywhere... sometimes it's even cheaper at the legal retailers. Hell, I remember I paid $40 USD for Splinter Cell Chaos theory for the original Xbox just 2 days after the US release.

Fewr said:
They stick to american release calendars.
Very important and very true. Microsoft is the only one which brings Special Editions of AAA games and release dates are the same as the US. On the other hand... I remeber that one of my local retailers didn't have MGS4 on stock after a full month of its US release.

DieH@rd said:
no PIRACY on PS3, ergo no PS3 in Mehiko...

No Sony support in all senses ($900 usd retail price, zero marketing, grey import market), ergo no PS3 in Mehiko.

Official retailer market here is skyrocketing. Nintendo and Microsoft are doing great. Sony, on the other hand is just plain SHIT. (At least for the PS3, great on other consumer electronics though)

cakefoo

Broken Arrow said:
No Sony support in all senses ($900 usd retail price, zero marketing, grey import market), ergo no PS3 in Mehiko.

Official retailer market here is skyrocketing. Nintendo and Microsoft are doing great. Sony, on the other hand is just plain SHIT. (At least for the PS3, great on other consumer electronics though)
Nintendo doing great but not Sony?

WII: 220.000 [Launch: Nov. 06] [15.714 units/month]
PS3: 60.000 [Launch: Aug. 07] [12.000 units/month]

Notice the years they launched and the units/month.

Crateman said:

yeah, probably because the repair center is in mexico, just over th border from mcallen, tx.

Fewr

Crateman said:
Indeed. 5 years ago, the only way you could get games at decent prices was buying them in the grey market -imported illegaly from the US-. Nowadays, the prices are practically similar everywhere... sometimes it's even cheaper at the legal retailers. Hell, I remember I paid $40 USD for Splinter Cell Chaos theory for the original Xbox just 2 days after the US release.

Very important and very true. Microsoft is the only one which brings Special Editions of AAA games and release dates are the same as the US. On the other hand... I remeber that one of my local retailers didn't have MGS4 on stock after a full month of its US release.
1. I've noticed mixup sometimes have lower than average prices especially for 360 stuff.
2. MS were the first to consistently stick to preorder promotions and all that as well yes.

The Faceless Master said:
yeah, probably because the repair center is in mexico, just over th border from mcallen, tx.
So does that mean that people in the southern part of the US get their "new" 360s in about a week as well? I lived close to mexico city and it took them a week to do the whole thing.
By your reasoning people up north that live the same distance away (mex city - mcallen) should get theirs in about the same span of time.

Broken Arrow said:

True. I wonder what the sales #s of PS3s would look like in the US and/or Japan if they had to pay said prices for the consoles + no access to psn stuff.

industrian said:
Zapatistas are Xbox fanboys: confirmed.

Hmm. I somehow doubt this...

Also, we had a few people a week come from Mexico looking for Wiis when I worked at Gamestop earlier this year. They always left sad and empty-handed. :(

Mardil

I've never had problems finding PS3 or Wii games here in Mexico by launch date.

I found SC IV two days after it's release date for around 70USD, Metroid Prime 3 for 60USD on release date, Brawl a day before release for 60USD...

Mexican retailers have improved a LOT in the past five years, and he have MS to thank for that. Five years ago, it would've been impossible to find a legal/convenient solution for buying games... now... I know at least five persons who buy games here in Mexico and not in the US (I live 2 hours from the border).

But it's still cheaper to buy games through online sellers in mercadolibre (the latin american alternative to ebay).

Top Bottom