• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 2.0 patch(trohy+full install) out for Japan, PAL regions

raven777

Its only for Japanese MGS4 right now.

The patch is 498MB, and the full install takes about 16 minutes (I don't know the size of full install since I am installing right now)

Apparently they differentiate pre-patch and post-patch save datas.

Pranay

pq7wB.gif

cant wait

Razorskin

----- ------
Its only for Japanese MGS4 right now.

The patch is 498MB, and the full install takes about 16 minutes (I don't know the size of full install since I am installing right now)

Apparently they differentiate pre-patch and post-patch save datas.

Post-patch saves are probably locked due to trophies.

raven777

Its been long time so I don't remember when the first install took place, but with the new patch the install process starts right after you turn on the game (before I even go to the menu)

ScOULaris

Time for a metal gear marathon, I guess.

Pop in that HD Collection!

I'm guessing that the full install will come out to 10-12GB or so, judging by the size of each individual chapter's install file. That is, of course, unless the patch enables some kind of data compression to bring the size of the full install down.

Ridley327

Post-patch saves are probably locked due to trophies.

They don't necessarily have to be locked, but they will definitely be signed in a way where the game recognizes that they can have trophies earned over progress, versus the vanilla saves which obviously won't.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I doubt they will disable pre-patch saves, just that you won't earn trophies for them. Which is obvious

It looks like HDD space required for full install is about 9GB.

....only 9?... why was the game on a dual layer bluray? That would mean it was more than 25gigs of data. Were they really able to stream a lot of that or what?

Also.. 9gigs with 16 minute install compared to the 8.5 (or so) gigs for GT5 that took over 1 hour? Hmm.

It looks like HDD space required for full install is about 9GB.

About what I expected. You take the initial 5GB install and then add ~1GB for chapters 2-5. The people that thought they'd install the entire disc to HDD were being ridiculous.

Konami Europe won't get us this patch till 2013, will they?

BHK3

Banned
About what I expected. You take the initial 5GB install and then add ~1GB for chapters 2-5. The people that thought they'd install the entire disc to HDD were being ridiculous.

Konami Europe won't get us this patch till 2013, will they?

Not until Valkyria Chronicles gets a trophy patch.

Ridley327

....only 9?... why was the game on a dual layer bluray? That would mean it was more than 25gigs of data. Were they really able to stream a lot of that or what?

Also.. 9gigs with 16 minute install compared to the 8.5 (or so) gigs for GT5 that took over 1 hour? Hmm.

MGS4 has a lot of audio, as well as about an hour's worth of HD FMV with barely noticeable compression. Not hard to see why it took up a dual layer disc when you consider those.

StuBurns

Banned
500MB? There's a new video in there somewhere, there must be.

EDIT: That install picture looks like the icon is the mock multi disc 360 version picture people always post.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Can someone mine the patch? I have a feeling there's a hidden Rising trailer in there or something.

You realise that the original MGS4 release only had a 5GB install with small installs between each chapter, right? Why on earth would they install the full ~40GB to the HDD when they've already got it working with smaller ones?

Makes me wonder why they did act installs in the first place. Probably because most people didn't have huge hdds like they do now?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
500 fucking mb, damn!

raven777

anyways, I won't be able to check any save compatibility since the current PS3 doesn't have any old MGS4 saves with me.

MGS4 has a lot of audio, as well as about an hour's worth of HD FMV with barely noticeable compression. Not hard to see why it took up a dual layer disc when you consider those.

I always thought the 7.1 uncompressed audio is what required the installs? You know.. cutscenes and area specific sounds.

Makes me wonder why they did act installs in the first place. Probably because most people didn't have huge hdds like they do now?

Because Sony restricted installs to 5GB. So they got around it by installing the initial 5GB (including chapter 1) at first, then before each new chapter, they'd delete the previous chapter and install the new one. They've since upped the max install size (probably to 10GB or something).

Assumption, then, is it'll be out tomorrow in Europe/US. Maybe even midnight CET/11pm BST tonight for Europe? (doubtful, though)

Top Bottom