• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes reviews! (Famitsu goes first!)

HTupolev

omg-chair.gif
Yeah, but that's in the mere 39/40 section!

Axass

Yeah. When Kotaku is used as some sort of "voice of reason" to explain why you should discredit another gaming source (in this case, Famitsu), you know that any productive conversation will have to be put on hold. That's OK, though, I'm getting a kick out of the cynicism! (That's not necessarily a bad thing, as we all have our own reservations when it comes to certain game journalists.) Hard to go by a couple of numbers. Hopefully, more concrete review details come in soon (whether it be from Famitsu or any other reviewer).

Even if you don't take into account Kotaku, there are several sources implying Famitsu is basically a promotional magazine. But whatever floats you boat, if you don't want to believe, don't.

Nikkei writer and Independent Game Developers Association Japan coordinator Kiyoshi Shin said:
The total score from (Famitsu‘s) four reviewers is seen to have a certain level of impact among retailers and users, so everyone has to be conscious of it. … When it comes to power, game media is going to lose out to game companies every time. Japan’s game companies have an aversion to getting scores applied to their releases, and the media is obligated to consider that in their actions — if a publisher refuses to give an outlet advance information, then that’s it. I had the editor-in-chief of one publication tell me once that “adding scores is simply a difficult proposition for us as a business.”

Meanwhile, American game media is filled with score-based reviews. … As a result, you often see cases where major releases with enormous advertising budgets behind them are faced with low scores. Meanwhile, games with high-scoring reviews are usually backed up by users and have a tendency to be long-selling hits; poor games receiving high scores are a rarity.

andymcc

Banned
Here is list of every game Famitsu gave 35+ score since 1987:

http://geimin.net/da/db/cross_review/index.php

Just last year famitsu gave 105 game a 35+ score.

wow, holy shit.

pretty demonstrative of where AAA studios in Japan are spending their marketing budgets nowadays.

Yeah. When Kotaku is used as some sort of "voice of reason" to explain why you should discredit another gaming source (in this case, Famitsu), you know that any productive conversation will have to be put on hold.

With three sentences per review with statements such as "the game made me feel like i was having fun, the graphics were wild, the sound was pleasurable 10/10... it's very easy to discredit them.

The game will get an average of low 80s when reviewed in the West (which is unfortunate because it won't do justice to The Phantom Pain which is going to be a beast). I bet Ground Zeroes will kick ass but reviewers are going to focus on it's short campaign.

I still can't decide if Im going buy this or not. I have infamous and mlb comin up I'm not sure if there's room. Would be a perfect rental, but redbox doesn't carry ps4 games yet :(

What? Who says I don't believe? Just because Kotaku isn't my go-to source for gaming information doesn't mean that I don't think they share truth. I just find it funny to see it being used to back up an argument on GAF, considering most of the posts I've seen here (that bring up Kotaku) tend to refer to it as a joke or for some sort of comedic value.

With three sentences per review with statements such as "the game made me feel like i was having fun, the graphics were wild, the sound was pleasurable 10/10... it's very easy to discredit them.

Right. I give Famitsu about as much credit as I would any other gaming journalist -- not much. I'm pretty sure that I will find the game to be excellent (or fun, at the very least), regardless of whether anyone gives this a 1/10 or a 10/10.

Toxi

Banned
Holy shit.

I knew it had gotten ridiculous, but that's just... Urgh.
Yeah. When Kotaku is used as some sort of "voice of reason" to explain why you should discredit another gaming source (in this case, Famitsu), you know that any productive conversation will have to be put on hold. That's OK, though, I'm getting a kick out of the cynicism! (That's not necessarily a bad thing, as we all have our own reservations when it comes to certain game journalists.) Hard to go by a couple of numbers. Hopefully, more concrete review details come in soon (whether it be from Famitsu or any other reviewer).
More concrete details from Famitsu, that's gold.

Axass

What? Who says I don't believe? Just because Kotaku isn't my go-to source for gaming information doesn't mean that I don't think they share truth. I just find it funny to see it being used to back up an argument on GAF, considering most of the posts I've seen here (that bring up Kotaku) tend to refer to it as a joke or for some sort of comedic value.

I see what you mean. Though I'm pretty much used to share and appreciate what they actually do right. They're not always a joke, see most of Schrier's articles.

More concrete details from Famitsu, that's gold.

I meant that I hope we get some detailed reviews from... whoever. And by "detailed", I meant something more than just a number. Clearly, I'm not banking on Famitsu to give me an unbiased exposition on Ground Zeroes.

I see what you mean. Though I'm pretty much used to share and appreciate what they actually do right. They're not always a joke, see most of Schrier's articles.

Right, for sure. The site as a whole doesn't necessarily reflect the views and opinions of each individual journalist... Very true.

Toxi

Banned
I meant that I hope we get some detailed reviews from... whoever. And by "detailed", I meant something more than just a number. Clearly, I'm not banking on Famitsu to give me an unbiased exposition on Ground Zeroes.
Have you read a Famitsu review? They aren't in-depth looks, they're made of four small summary reviews that often overlap.

Have you read a Famitsu review? They aren't in-depth looks, they're made of four small summary reviews that often overlap.

Oh, my God. You quoted me, and yet still managed to skim over the part where I said I am NOT expecting anything of that nature (in-depth).

Lernaean

Banned
Western publications are mostly paid by western publishers as Japanese publications are mostly paid by Japanese publishers, there's nothing new here.
I never trust reviews. I mean, yeah, i am happy if a game i like gets good scores and unhappy for the opposite or whatever, but i don't trust them.
I always buy depending on dev and past history of said dev and by taste and instinct. For example, even though some are better than others, there is no bad Kojima/MGS game, and from what i've seen about this one so far, it's gonna be short but awesome = preordered.

Roto13

We gotta hear this for every friggen videogame ever that gets a good score? GD...

Most of the time it's a dumbass comment made by a dumbass, but in this case it may very well be true, because Famitsu is one of the few review outlets that actually gets paid off.

Kurtofan

Hyperbole much?

They're actually hard to please. They've only given a 40/40 to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Soulcalibur, Vagrant Story, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Nintendogs, Final Fantasy XII, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots: 428: Füsa Sareta Shibuya de, Dragon Quest IX: Sentines of The Starry Skies, Monster Hunter Tri, Bayonetta, New Super Mario bros. wii, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Pokemon Black and White, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Yakuza 5, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle and Grand Theft Auto: V and a 39/40 to The Legend of Zelda: a Link to The Past, Virtua Fighter 2, Ridge Racer Revolution, Super Mario 64, Tekken 3, Cyber Troopers Virtual-on Oratorio Tangram, Final Fantasy X, Gran Turismo 3: A-spec, Resident Evil (gamecube), Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of The Cursed King, Gran Turismo 4, Kingdom Hearts II, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Dead or Alive 4, Okami, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Red Dead Redemption, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, L.A. Noire, Tales of Xillia, Gears of War 3, FIFA 12, Final Fantasy type-0, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Collection, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Resident Evil Revilations,Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Resident Evil 6, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, the Wonderful 101, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and Pokémon X and Y.

woah a few years ago only a few games had 40, that's pretty sad.

They put forth a fourth of the effort when composing critical analysis as other gaming journalists though.

OK? It feels like some of you people are making me out to be the leader of some sort of Famitsu Defense Force (2025). Whatever you think I'm trying to say, the bottom line is that I am not trying to defend Famitsu for anything. Maybe I just worded it poorly before... I don't know. But look, man. I do not care enough about Famitsu or any other games journalist to take time out of my day to shit on them for doing a bad job of what they are supposed to be doing. Like I said, to me, it's all the same. If this game is met with positive critical reception, so be it. If not, so be it. It's not going to change my outlook on the game, and most importantly, I doubt it will sway the minds of anyone who was already planning on getting this game. They can give this all of the 5/10 or 10/10 scores in the world, and I could care less. What I value when it comes to making some sort of decision on picking up this particular game: not being disappointed in any Hideo Kojima game I have played to date.

Roto13

Wow, an ad and a positive review to a great game close to launch day? Damn capitalism! This changes everything!

This petty bullshit in every single Famitsu thread is so goddamn annoying.

The guy in that ad is the former EIC of Famitsu and the then-current president of the company that owns Famitsu.

That's a pretty solid list of games right there.

Ummmmmmm no!

A lot of those games don't deserve scores anywhere near perfect!

Pokemon?
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and 3?
Nintendogs?
LOZ:Skyward Sword?
Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2?
Resident Evil 6?
Final Fantasy 14?
Dead or Alive 4?

These and others titles on there are highly flawed titles.

To be fair, most of the games on there are pretty damn good, but only a few would be worthy of a perfect score.

Astarte

After the perfect score for JoJo, I don't know what to think about famitsu anymore. I love me some Jojo, but it's far from a perfect game.

andymcc

Banned
After the perfect score for JoJo, I don't know what to think about famitsu anymore. I love me some Jojo, but it's far from a perfect game.

I'm a huge Jojo fan and I think it's a pretty fun game but it's a broken, nickel and diming game with awful performance.

JayEH

I thought it was well known that the Japanese media is completely different from US.

I remember Jeff Gerstmann talking about how he was at TGS one year doing an interview and he got in trouble because he didn't give the interview to the Japanese arm of the company to edit first.

Betty

Banned
I'm anticipating 6's and 7's just because of the price/content ratio some reviewers will take issue with, not that it'll do anything to hinder the hype for me personally.

Wow, an ad and a positive review to a great game close to launch day? Damn capitalism! This changes everything!

This petty bullshit in every single Famitsu thread is so goddamn annoying.

The guy in the ad is the president of Famitsu's company or something similar.

DrKelpo

Banned
Hyperbole much?

They're actually hard to please. They've only given a 40/40 to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Soulcalibur, Vagrant Story, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Nintendogs, Final Fantasy XII, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots: 428: Füsa Sareta Shibuya de, Dragon Quest IX: Sentines of The Starry Skies, Monster Hunter Tri, Bayonetta, New Super Mario bros. wii, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Pokemon Black and White, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Yakuza 5, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle and Grand Theft Auto: V and a 39/40 to The Legend of Zelda: a Link to The Past, Virtua Fighter 2, Ridge Racer Revolution, Super Mario 64, Tekken 3, Cyber Troopers Virtual-on Oratorio Tangram, Final Fantasy X, Gran Turismo 3: A-spec, Resident Evil (gamecube), Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of The Cursed King, Gran Turismo 4, Kingdom Hearts II, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Dead or Alive 4, Okami, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Red Dead Redemption, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, L.A. Noire, Tales of Xillia, Gears of War 3, FIFA 12, Final Fantasy type-0, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Collection, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Resident Evil Revilations,Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Resident Evil 6, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, the Wonderful 101, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and Pokémon X and Y.

they actually gave mw 2, mw 3 and re6 40/40..... wtf?

Top Bottom