• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miami Vice (the show) is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptomex

What really turned me on to this show was Vice City and some of the references to it. I finished up the final episodes of Miami Vice last week on Netflix and I gotta say that show was awesome. Keep in mind I was born in '89 so I obviously never saw this in prime time. The show definitely started going down hill during season 4 when Crockett gets married. I want that second car he gets. The Ferrari Testarossa. I want it.
Mv_testarossa.jpg

Worst episodes had to be the whole Crockett develops amnesia thing and walks around as a drug dealer. Wtf. Awful.

It had some awesome cameos.
Richard Belzer as a pirate. That's what's up. This is how he should look on SVU.

Ted Nugent, Bruce Willis, Dennis Farina, Phil Collins, Glenn Frey. Awesome.

I ended up checking out the movie mid-way through the show. It wasn't bad but it didn't feel like Miami Vice. Colin Farrel did a pretty good job. The blu-ray box says "action packed" but it's not. In fact it feels like a really long episode. They infiltrate a criminal organization then it ends in an awesome shootout which was probably the best part of the movie.

And that theme song is so cool. They couldn't use it in the movie? Not even a remix? Really?

Discuss.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the best use of licensed music in television ever. I'll never forget the time In The Air Tonight came on...

Wonderful show, too. Not just the music. Everything. It could feel incredibly grimy, or incredibly clean and make it convincing. Amazing show.

Damn right Miami Vice is awesome!

One of my favorite episodes was when they went into the Wetlands. It was such a strange episode but I enjoyed the outcome.

The episodes got so much darker and less funny after season 2.

I don't like wearing suits but after seeing this show, leisure suits or whatever those are is clearly the way to go.

Some of the best music I've ever heard in a television show ever.

Oh god, we all wore that shit in high school in the 80s. I think everyone had a white sports coat.

Raptomex

Let's not deny it got pretty shitty in the last couple of seasons. Was awesome until then though.
Like I said I think it definitely went downhill during season 4 starting when Crockett got married. I wasn't sure about Lt. Castillo at first but he just became legendary. That look on his face.

castillo2.jpg

Porcile

Man, for all the praise of the licensed music (rightfully so) I do love Jan Hammer's music - Crockett's Theme, Rain, Evan. The two-disc Jan Hammer collection is some good shit.

Also I remember the famed Frank Zappa episode being pretty rubbish - like he just swims off in the end doesn't he? And also the episode which just sorta ripped off Boyz n the Hood.

Doh - My mistake, Boyz n the Hood came after!

FStop7

Banned
It's an amazing show in spite of Don Johnson (who has good moments but also a lot of cheese) and Philip Michael Thomas.

The writing also got worse over time (Trudy abducted by aliens... wut) but the finale was really strong.

Edward James Olmos was pretty consistently great over the course of the series.

IMO the real stars of Miami Vice were the villains. SO many memorable characters. Outrageous, crazy, flamboyant, just so far over the top. The show really nailed the crazy personality of Miami during that period.

We wouldn't have Heat without Miami Vice, either.

735048_4976935218652_2075336886_n.jpg

16686_4976935178651_360935387_n.jpg

Raptomex

Man, for all the praise of the licensed music (rightfully so) I do love Jan Hammer's music - Crockett's Theme, Rain, Evan. The two-disc Jan Hammer collection is some good shit.

Also I remember the famed Frank Zappa episode being pretty rubbish - like he just swims off in the end doesn't he? And also the episode which just sorta ripped off Boyz n the Hood.
Lol, yeah. They let him go so he jumps off the boat and just swims away.

Lets not forget Ed O'Neil's appearance:
miami.jpg

3 years before Married... with Children. Another awesome show which I watch all the time. So it was odd seeing him in this role.

Doh - My mistake, Boyz n the Hood came after!

I love driving around to this in Vice City.

DominoKid

Easily the most swagged out show out there.
Sick cars, locales, clothes.
Baaaaaaad women.

Im surprised it isn't more broadly syndicated because its great.

Raptomex

I love Heat. Better than the Miami Vice movie but that was good for what it was too. He really knows how to create epic shootouts.

chris121580

The movie Miami Vice would've been better had they not called it Miami Vice. I still enjoy it but it just didn't feel like a Miami Vice movie. Not using the name Tubbs really bothered me too

Porcile

I'd quite like to see Tarantino set a film in the same era. Just seems sort of perfect really.

I'll admit that one of reasons I anticipated Django Unchained was the return of Don Johnson!

shuri

Banned
The movie was great, the director's cut has tons of stuff too, including a remake of the 'in the air' scene from the pilot.

The problem with the movie is that the second half had to be rewritten on the spot because Jamie Foxx threatened to quit the movie because he didnt want to spend time in South America.

strafer

The movie was great, the director's cut has tons of stuff too, including a remake of the 'in the air' scene from the pilot.

The problem with the movie is that the second half had to be rewritten on the spot because Jamie Foxx threatened to quit the movie because he didnt want to spend time in South America.

Really, you got a link?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Don Johnson was one of the first celebrities I could recognize as a kid. My mom had a huge crush on him and would also watch the show, haha.

Solo

The pilot "Brother's Keeper" is my favorite pilot for anything, ever. And S1 is one of the ebst seasons of television ever.

Michael Mann <3

The show burned out quickly, but whatever, it's still the most stylish TV show ever and one of the most influential ever.

FStop7

Banned
Favorite episodes:

Definitely Miami - featuring TED FUCKING NUGENT and 'Cry' by Godley and Creme - Directed by Rob Cohen (Fast and Furious, xXx, etc)

Evan - featuring 'The Rhythm of the Heat' by Peter Gabriel - also dir. by Cohen

Little Miss Dangerous - featuring 'The Order of Death (This is What You Want, This is What You Get)' by Public Image Ltd.

Florence Italy - featuring PORSCHE FUCKING 906

Solo

I don't think it would work. Modern times suck (in my opinion) and you can't replace Don and Philip.

Not to mention that the cocaine cowboy culture that was prevalent in the 80's that provided endless material for the show has long since been eradicated.

blind51de

Banned
Been meaning to check this out.

Are the licensed music tracks removed from the DVDs or do I have to pirate taped TV episodes?

Solo

And yes, the movie is awesome. One of the most underrated films of the 00's, and perfectly nails the soul of Vice.

UrbanRats

That explains a lot.
If it wasn't for the messy script i would've enjoyed it more than Collateral.

Favorite episodes:

Definitely Miami - featuring TED FUCKING NUGENT and 'Cry' by Godley and Creme - Directed by Rob Cohen (Fast and Furious, xXx, etc)

Evan - featuring 'The Rhythm of the Heat' by Peter Gabriel - also dir. by Cohen

Those are two of my favourite episodes as well. I also would like recognize the Calderone's Revenge 2 Parter which features amazin use of The Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited" and Russ Ballard's "Voices".

Another great episode was Rites of Passage with a young John Turturro and the always lovely Pam Grier which also has an amazing scene set to Foreigner's "I Want to Know What Love Is"

I could probably go on listing another dozen or so favourite episodes from the show. It was at its best during the first 3 years about the time when Mann stopped taking an active role on the show and had Dick Wolf become the showrunner.

Solo

I think only the first two seasons are really worth it. S3 goes darker and weirder and the whole show nosedives the final 3 seasons.

S1 and S2 are brilliant though.

Metrotab

Banned
A question I've had ever since playing Vice City as a kid: where does the 'vice' term come from Miami Vice and its relation to Miami (whatever came first)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom