• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Bay apologizes for 'Armageddon'

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Understandable, but helluva movie nonetheless.

dat launch speech

It took 15 years, but moviegoers are getting an apology for one of the brashest, outlandish, craptacularly entertaining blockbusters of all time.
Buried in a Miami Herald interview published Sunday about his upcoming film Pain & Gain, director Michael Bay offered a mea culpa for his 1998 hit Armageddon. The discussion was sparked by the interviewer noting that Bay’s new film, which stars Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson as bodybuilders who embark on a crime spree, has atypical editing for the director — the shots are held for longer than a few nanoseconds.

“I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks,” Bay says. “It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could. But the studio literally took the movie away from us. It was terrible. My visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so I had to be in charge of that. I called James Cameron and asked ‘What do you do when you’re doing all the effects yourself?’ But the movie did fine.”

Armageddon‘s rapid production schedule may have been caused by the film facing a creative arms race with another space-object-headed-toward-Earth title, Deep Impact. Deep Impact hit theaters first, but Armageddon still crushed at the box office, grossing $553 million world-wide compared to Deep Impact delivering $349 million, according to Box Office Mojo.

In the same article, Bay defends his spastic 1995 breakthrough hit, Bad Boys. “It’s really funny,” he says. “People have always given me a hard time on my editing. But if you could do a graph on my movies, you would see how my editing has slowed down over the years. Bad Boys was my first movie, and we cut that quite fast. Back then it was very new for action. Now you see a lot of that imitated. Call it what you will. Yes, critics have given me s–t about it. But when you watch the Bourne Identity movies, they are cut way faster.”
To be fair, Armageddon is far from Bay’s worst film. The movie isn’t subtle, but as popcorn entertainment it’s rather bluntly effective (sort of the way a sledge hammer is effective for pushing a thumb tack into a cork board). The film’s ending, where Bruce Willis sacrifices himself to save his daughter’s fiancee and humanity, had plenty of guys hiding their misty eyes from their dates in the theater.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/04/22/michael-bay-apologizes-for-armageddon/

.GqueB.

Banned
I loved Armageddon...

And what about the third act would he have changed? They were sent to drill a hole... and they drilled a hole. The ending almost made me cry even. Not quite sure what could have changed.

He needs to apologize for three things:

1) Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
2) The fact that Bad Boys 3 has yet to be released
3) The fact that Bad Boys 2 is nowhere to be found on Bluray even though it was on the original sizzle reels.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bay, you moron. Armageddon is a great movie, Transformers is what you should be apologizing for.

Proof that Bay lacks perspective about his work. He apologizes for Armageddon and lets so many of his other affronts to our sensibilities pass.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I liked it. It was The Rock in Space. And it was literally a Rock, in Space. I think it created Xzibit.

Yo, I heard you wanted the Rock in Space...

jett

D-Member
I don't understand what is he apologizing for. I don't care one way or another for Armageddon, but it wasn't offensive.

It took to long with this apology. There's only 1 good moment in Armageddon; the slingshot moment. Other than that, burn the print and the soundtrack.

No apology necessary, sir.

This. Armageddon is one of the best movies ever made. So full of "America, fuck yeah!"-moments that you'll grow a moustache and salute to Stars and Stripes.

Plus, it had one of the best movie songs ever, made by Aerosmith. It had Liv Tyler in her prime and William Fichtner as an astronaut!

TUROK

He doesn't have to apologize for that. That movie saved Tomonobu Itagaki's life, son!

I liked it. It was The Rock in Space. And it was literally a Rock, in Space. I think it created Xzibit.

Yo, I heard you wanted the Rock in Space...
I can't stop laughing at this.

spookyfish

Oh, I love Armageddon. The soundtrack was worth the price of admission (the score; not the Aerosmith re-hashing).

I still want the Criterion version on blu-ray. (Seriously: HOW in the HELL did this get a Criterion release???)

CREMSteve

Armageddon is a fantastic movie. No apology required, good sir.

I typically love the hell out of Bay's movies. Though TF2/3 are pushing the limits of my affection.

Myriadis

Apology accepted. There aren't many movies that managed to be so insultingly stupid that I didn't want to watch it anymore after just 10 minutes. Transformers 2 was also incredibly bad.

Hystzen

WHAT?

The Rock, Bad Boys and that really long Aerosmith music video Armageddon are your best films you tool don't apologize how about Transformers 2 n 3 instead (1 was passable imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom