• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael K. Williams off the Han Solo movie due to reshoots

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This movie started as "...why are you making this?" when it got announced, and it has only progressed to "...why are you still making this?"

I know Han is more popular, but still mindblowing that they decided to go with a Han solo (I couldn't avoid typing that) over an Obi-Wan solo.

Then again, even when watching the originals, I never had a particular affinity for Han over all the other interesting characters, so maybe I'm biased.

Blader

They seriously need to cut their losses and cancel this project. No one is asking for this.

Cut their losses? It's Star Wars. It's going to make a profit. Cancelling the movie would itself be a substantial financial loss, and would probably leave a serious dent in the Lucasfilm/Disney reputation (something that can be easily salvaged by delivering a good, well-received Han Solo movie but can't be if you don't have any film to show off at all).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not sure what's funnier: The disaster that was L&M or people writing off this film because a (fringe) actor's small part got cut lol

That fringe actor is pretty well loved by pretty everyone who has seen the Wire and has followed that show up with a lot of great parts and can easily steal the scene from more well known actors.

Omar seemed to be directed by the rule of cool. He was too badass but I loved it.

Omar is based off a real person who is in fact in The Wire as an actor, he was one of Butchie's body guards/muscle, and in fact some stuff Omar pulled off in the show was even crazier in real life.

Didn't they cut him from Incredible Hulk? And I think there was another blockbuster his scenes were cut from.

We'll always have The Wire and Trapped in the Closet.

I remember hearing that most of the script of Iron Man 1 was figured out day by day, on the morning of each shoot. People just sat down and worked out what they would do and say in each scene before they did it, and then it was all cut into a movie afterwards.

That sounds fucking insane to me and it obviously worked out for that movie, but god damn is that a stupid and ridiculously reckless way to make a movie.

That would indeed be highly stressful for the crew. And a bloody nightmare for some.

That fringe actor is pretty well loved by pretty everyone who has seen the Wire and has followed that show up with a lot of great parts and can easily steal the scene from more well known actors.

Omar is based off a real person who is in fact in The Wire as an actor, he was one of Butchie's body guards/muscle, and in fact some stuff Omar pulled off in the show was even crazier in real life.

Oh yeah that's right, one the dudes who came and protected Omar in prison.

I just watched the Wire recently for the first time tripping like "Who gave Omar these privileges? He just gonna take they money and work and not expect them to kill his man?"

But these stick up artist really be out here taking it; crazy. Omar is so fucking cool.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Throughout the death star word rang out as all the droids, storm troopers, officers and even Vader himself ducked out when it was heard,"Omar coming"

Grinchy

Banned
God damn. I don't really know that much about how movies are made, but is it common for an entire character to go missing due to reshoots? Always liked Williams. This movie sounds like a mess.

DiscoJer

God damn. I don't really know that much about how movies are made, but is it common for an entire character to go missing due to reshoots? Always liked Williams. This movie sounds like a mess.

The original Star Wars cut out a number of them. Luke for instance, had a gang of friends. The only one that made it into the final movie was Biggs at the end, he talks to Luke before they go off to fight the Death Star

Would you have included a character that looked like this?
images

I mean, in those days Lucas knew when it was time to back-off

What does it matter why he got cut?

Someone asked if cutting characters is normal.

I pointed out a Star Wars example of a character getting cut.

Someone else pointed out that an entire roomful of people got cut from the same movie.

I don't even know what "a bit too quiche" means, also.

Fj0823

I hope Kennedy is ready for the amounts of hate she's getting if this turns out a mess.

George Lucas created the series, so he got off easy.

TheMan

Can't say I was ever excited about a Star Wars movie that's doesn't prominently feature Jedi and sith. They are the best part of Star Wars by a country fucking mile.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I guess we'll never know for sure but I'd love to know, once the film comes out, just how much footage ends up being from Phil and Lord and how much is from Ron Howard. It sounds more and more like Ron Howard is re-shooting most of the film and not just finishing it off like had previously had been reported.

[edit]

Maybe finishing it off is the wrong words, but if I remember correctly, it was reported that they could still use a lot of Lord and Miller's footage.

Hagi

I hope Kennedy is ready for the amounts of hate she's getting if this turns out a mess.

George Lucas created the series, so he got off easy.

This is a bit revisionist no? he got a grand amount of shit thrown his way for the prequels.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of a young han solo adventures movie but I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as people think it's going to be.

Fj0823

This is a bit revisionist no? he got a grand amount of shit thrown his way for the prequels.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of a young han solo adventures movie but I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as people think it's going to be.

Exactly.

Tookay

They cut it dangerously close with rogue one, with the stupid schedule they have it's bound to sink to that level eventually. A little surprised how quickly tho.
It's been a mess from the start. They rushed TFA too, with Michael Ardnt getting the boot to JJ wanting to take more time (and eventually getting it after Ford got injured).

The only one of these movies that's had a smooth production is TLJ.

Top Bottom