• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter offers analysis in response to Wii U price drop/2DS.

How is Nintendo's financial outlook being slightly better or worse good or bad for the consumer?

I was trying to make a joke based on a video from PAX. In the video they asked how many people were going to buy the PS4, XBone or WiiU. There was like one guy who said he was going to buy the WiiU... So, ya know... the price cut will be good for him. Ha ha! No? Ok.

All right. I changed the thread title and deleted every stupid "brilliant insight, Pachter" comment in the thread. I'm not trying to be some huge Pachter apologist or anything, but it would be nice if people put some effort into their attempts to belittle an individual. When you see a multiparagraph OP, try reading it instead of just responding to the title.

Zoc

I don't think it's at all decided that the 2DS will be a success, although I think it has good chance with the under-ten set. Lots of kids that age have smartphones, but remember that those phones are usually hand-me-downs, and are usually glass-screened and easily broken by kids. If they can get some good educational software to make parents think better about the thing, they could get something going with the 2DS.

By the way, I love this kind of aggressive moderation. Makes this forum so much nicer to read.

All right. I changed the thread title and deleted every stupid "brilliant insight, Pachter" comment in the thread. I'm not trying to be some huge Pachter apologist or anything, but it would be nice if people put some effort into their attempts to belittle an individual. When you see a multiparagraph OP, try reading it instead of just responding to the title.
You do good works Mr. Youngblood.

*tips fedora*

Riki

Nintendo really needa to do more bundles like the Wind Waker one. A Mario World and Wonderful 101 one would be perfect.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Appreciate the title change. I'm not sure what room Pachter leaves to disagree with his analysis on this one. I cannot imagine another scenario other than the Wii U gaining some momentum off of the price cut only to lose a lot of that momentum when the other consoles launch.

2DS is gonna be a huge boon to Nintendo going into the holiday, and will definitely boost sales of the handheld. As much as people want to hate on Pachter, he is a good analyst, he just doesn't have a high opinion of Nintendo hardware. That doesn't mean he can't recognize the smart business decisions Nintendo is making going into the shopping season.

Lumyst

I've wondered, are official price drops more impactful than retailer price drops that go lower (as was seen in Britain), or was it really about "any price drop wouldn't make up for the lack of compelling games"? It would pain me to see Gamecube era price drops, but this time around Nintendo is trying to attract the expanded audience, and I would think if it came to that, some of those people would finally bite.

A couple of points:

a) I agree on the lack of compelling software for the Wii U this holiday. I'm definitely interested in picking up Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, and Windwaker, but I also understand that 2/3 of those choices are fairly niche even for Nintendo owners. Donkey Kong, Scribblenauts, and even Sonic aren't going to pull in a huge audience. Mario 3D Wold is ok (together with Sonic is the best chance of gaining an audience), but without any push behind it, what's the point? Hell, I'm not even excited for Mario Kart, and Wii Fit U I doubt is going to be the magic pill for the 'casuals'.

b) On the handheld end though, I wonder if tablets are going to be quite as strong as they've been in the past. Last year we had a huge push by Amazon for the Kindle Fire HD tablets, ultimately selling at the same price and sometimes cheaper than dedicated gaming devices. Not to mention the growing craze of games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope. Many kid friendly tablets were found to be unstable and ultimately a waste (as anyone who worked at Toys R Us can tell you). With Pokemon and plenty of options for the 3DS if the 2DS (confusing title and probably lack of marketing aside), I can see it performing far better this holiday season.

Top Bottom