• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mickey Mouse + Felix the Cat = Sonic

DonMigs85

This factoid was revealed to me in the Console Wars book.
I can't look at classic Sonic the same way again
sonic_mickey_and_felix_by_mirrormaster-d7c16fw.jpg

Given the nature of some Sonic fans, I was actually scared to open this thread. I was halfway expecting to see Mickey Mouse giving birth to Sonic the Hedgehog.

Windam

Scaley member
Given the nature of some Sonic fans, I was actually scared to open this thread. I was halfway expecting to see Mickey Mouse giving birth to Sonic the Hedgehog.

This would make for a good fanart piece with an accompanying fic which details the night of conception.

Spinluck

Sonic's classic design is really good character design.

Mod_Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog.png

I remember Sonic before all the weirds and DBZ fanfictions.

Funnily enough there was a parody of Felix in Fleetway's "Sonic The Comic"

aAPjtDd.jpg

He was part of the main sonic comic as a pirate, and could use "cartoon physics" to dodge danger and do things others couldn't.

Sonic's classic design is really good character design.

Mod_Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog.png

I remember Sonic before all the weirds and DBZ fanfictions.

It was weirds from the beginning. The core of fanfiction/original creations is about creating an idealized something, even at the risk of that something being awful

Sonic was the MechaGodzilla, the imperfect clone of Big Boss. The abomination wrought of Sega's desperation for something better, faster, more attitude-er than Mario. He had everything, which made him ripe for corruption by his impending fandom. After all, he was exactly what kids wanted. That pandering set into motion Sonic's never ending torment: to never be satisfactory, always requiring the true Sonic loop of becoming irrelevant, being torn down and restructured, only to be ripped apart before getting a chance to fully heal and adjust by both his creators and the fans.

Sonic is his own creepy fanfiction. His own "OC do naht stealz." His own shitty friend.

Toparaman

Banned
Americans created and excelled at the rubber hose cartoon style; I really don't understand how we screwed up our depiction of classic Sonic. Lol

I think it's pretty clear that the American Sonic is aesthetically inferior to the Japanese one. But maybe that's just me.

Not sure what Americans excelling at rubber hose cartoon style has to do with anything. The guy who drew American Sonic sure didn't excel at it.

DonMigs85

Nanashrew

Banned
It was weirds from the beginning. The core of fanfiction/original creations is about creating an idealized something, even at the risk of that something being awful

Sonic was the MechaGodzilla, the imperfect clone of Big Boss. The abomination wrought of Sega's desperation for something better, faster, more attitude-er than Mario. He had everything, which made him ripe for corruption by his impending fandom. After all, he was exactly what kids wanted. That pandering set into motion Sonic's never ending torment: to never be satisfactory, always requiring the true Sonic loop of becoming irrelevant, being torn down and restructured, only to be ripped apart before getting a chance to fully heal and adjust by both his creators and the fans.

Sonic is his own creepy fanfiction. His own "OC do naht stealz." His own shitty friend.

I love you.

I think it's pretty clear that the American Sonic is aesthetically inferior to the Japanese one. But maybe that's just me.

Not sure what Americans excelling at rubber hose cartoon style has to do with anything. The guy who drew American Sonic sure didn't excel at it.

I believe you misinterpreted my post, big time. American Classic sonic is a lumpy mess with tacky glossy high lights. I don't think it's good.
I was basically saying " This our thing, and we screwed it up. C'mon guys, smh."

Toparaman

Banned
Have some respect! The man died earlier this year. Not sure if he started with Sonic 1 though.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sonic-and-pac-man-artist-greg-martin-dies/1100-6416953/

I'm not questioning his technical skill at all. And taken on its own, his covers look quite nice, especially compared to today's bland covers.

But the Sonic design that Sega of Japan came up with is sublime. It's a classic 1930s design created 60 years later. Greg Martin's Sonic just looks like a middle-of-the-road platformer mascot.

I believe you misinterpreted my post, big time. American Classic sonic is a lumpy mess with tacky glossy high lights. I don't think it's good.
I was basically saying " This our thing, and we screwed it up. C'mon guys, smh."

I didn't mean it like that. I wasn't commenting on Americans in general, just Sega of America.

Then again, maybe they had the right idea. Maybe a Sonic that could've come straight from the 1930s wouldn't have appealed to kids as much as '90s attitude Sonic.

Damn.

I'm pretty sure neither Felix or Mickey have "attitude"

Sonic the Hedgehog is more like if Buster Bunny was the star of a dopey self-serious anime for teenagers. Bleach Buster Bunny?

Top Bottom