• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This deal was pretty much done when the FTC lost, Sony signed, and the CAT judge admonished the CMA several weeks ago ….
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

so it ends next week, finally. but I'm already reading MS supporters who want the next acquisition, are wondering who it will be and are hoping for a Japanese publisher
blinking-eyes-wow-meme-qrx37errg0x92xyt.gif

However, I read that cod may not arrive on the pass, from some internal emails and there are no commercial agreements with Sony that will prohibit it in 2024. How true are these rumors? it would be incredible but strange, one of the points in favor brought by ms and the US judge was that cod would become available to more people at a lower price, if it didn't happen it would be ridiculous
Why wouldn't it happen?

graywolf323

so it ends next week, finally. but I'm already reading MS supporters who want the next acquisition, are wondering who it will be and are hoping for a Japanese publisher
blinking-eyes-wow-meme-qrx37errg0x92xyt.gif
combination of they really delight in Microsoft throwing their weight around & taking games away from PlayStation plus this weird belief that GamePass is going to not see insane price hikes to help pay for these acquisitions (also they really don’t think Sony can compete so that the market is Microsoft’s to buy up)

sadly with how the regulators basically capitulated with ABK it’s hard to see who Xbox wouldn’t be allowed to buy

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think this is the first time 'Activision' has spoken on the matter, but they say that they will start putting their games on game pass starting next year, so even if the deal closes in the next couple of days/weeks, we might not start seeing their games on the service immediately.

F8Bcwn5bQAApzfO

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I think this is the first time 'Activision' has spoken on the matter, but they say that they will start putting their games on game pass starting next year, so even if the deal closes in the next couple of days/weeks, we might not start seeing their games on the service immediately.

F8Bcwn5bQAApzfO
Protecting their potential sales in case the deal somehow falls through. We saw how Diablo IV had the legs cut off it that the devs had to make clear the game wasn't going on Gamepass Day 1. Nothing major in the tweet.

King Dazzar

I'm genuinely interested how the finances will work for the likes of Diablo and especially COD. The old titles wont matter. But for new COD's I wonder if non Xbox platforms will be the ones bringing in the revenue and helping stand it up? As you'd assume sales will fall off a cliff on Xbox due to GP. I guess Diablo IV will rely on the season stuff and in game store....

adamsapple

Protecting their potential sales in case the deal somehow falls through. We saw how Diablo IV had the legs cut off it that the devs had to make clear the game wasn't going on Gamepass Day 1. Nothing major in the tweet.

Putting the games on game pass won't even be a thing in case the deal falls through.

This is just them reiterating the same things other individuals from projects like Diablo have said earlier but the first time a blanket Activision PR/social media wing has talked about it, thought it was interesting to note, especially with the timing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Putting the games on game pass won't even be a thing in case the deal falls through.

This is just them reiterating the same things other individuals from projects like Diablo have said earlier but the first time a blanket Activision PR/social media wing has talked about it, thought it was interesting to note, especially with the timing.
Plus why would they even hint at a game this close to release thats going to sell 4 billion copies MIGHT come to gamepass, that would surely hurt sales

I know I might not buy it if they said the next COD might make gamepass soon

Banjo64

cumsessed
Plus why would they even hint at a game this close to release thats going to sell 4 billion copies MIGHT come to gamepass, that would surely hurt sales

But that’s the whole M.O.

It’s not like it’s a mystery to anyone, there is nothing to hint. Unless Microsoft want to further destroy their image all of ABK’s games will be coming to Game Pass day one.

I suppose the deal hasn’t gone through though at this point, so I’m surprised they’ve commented at all.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Still not buying it - will play it whenever it comes to GP… or moves to the bargain bin.

🤣

quest

Not Banned from OT

I figured the new one is covered by the marketing deal and 1 year exclusion from gamepass or any sub service not owned by sony.

sainraja

Yeah, it will most likely be on Game Pass once they can openly say it.

MadPanda

Banned
combination of they really delight in Microsoft throwing their weight around & taking games away from PlayStation plus this weird belief that GamePass is going to not see insane price hikes to help pay for these acquisitions (also they really don’t think Sony can compete so that the market is Microsoft’s to buy up)

sadly with how the regulators basically capitulated with ABK it’s hard to see who Xbox wouldn’t be allowed to buy

Game pass will raise prices regardless of any acquisition, just as, Sony did, it and as it's been raising in other industries. Unfortunately.

MarkMe2525

I just don't see a future were MS kills GamePass by having an "insane" price hike. I imagine a world with a $20 individual tier and a higher priced family plan, but I can't imagine the market would accept much more with their current model. But hey, we are all entitled to throw around a little hyperbole.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I just don't see a future were MS kills GamePass by having an "insane" price hike. I imagine a world with a $20 individual tier and a higher priced family plan, but I can't imagine the market would accept much more with their current model. But hey, we are all entitled to throw around a little hyperbole.
Maybe they’ll modularise it, so you can pick and choose what you want.

This deal was pretty much done when the FTC lost, Sony signed, and the CAT judge admonished the CMA several weeks ago ….
They were only admonished about backing down and starting to negotiate with Microsoft, not over their original decision.

The CAT saw the proceedings in light of the talks as a waste of time.

adamsapple

• Both Kotick and Corden were coy about the current status of the deal, which is widely regarded to close as soon as this Friday 13, 2023, pending final UK approval.

• While discussing Microsoft, Kotick lauded the firm's resources, cloud server tech, and technological research arm. He also name checked Guitar Hero, strongly hinting that the game could be on the docket for a revival.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

• Both Kotick and Corden were coy about the current status of the deal, which is widely regarded to close as soon as this Friday 13, 2023, pending final UK approval.

• While discussing Microsoft, Kotick lauded the firm's resources, cloud server tech, and technological research arm. He also name checked Guitar Hero, strongly hinting that the game could be on the docket for a revival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom