• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Our diet is key in maintaining our Chad genes

4E2099FA00000578-5942173-A_topless_England_fan_shows_his_love_for_the_team_as_supporters_-a-8_1531379556446.jpg

Aside of the pork, it's a good healthy food.

I basically eat beans from time to time as my breakfast food.
It too much food is the issue. For breakfast I usually have a piece of avocado toast with an egg over top, or some overnight oats with a bunch of different seeds and berries.

splattered

Time to pump the brakes, man. The cloud aspect of the CMA ruling was there all along. This narrative that you are pitching that they somehow used that to "save face" isn't accurate. The EC and CMA were in lockstep about their cloud concerns and diverged only in the remedy. So for consistency sake, why not lambast the EC for requiring any remedies of Microsoft at all based on future "theoretical possibilities"? I think if you have more than one regulator coming to the same concerns then perhaps not throw it under the bus so quickly. And we all know full well that no other company in gaming will have the combined infrastructure of Azure, the base of Xbox and now the potentially the addition of Activision Blizzard King with Call of Duty, Diablo and the rest and that combination will have the power to yank every and all "licenses" at the end of those 10 years that you believe "any other company" could step and challenge.

And no one at the CMA has said anything remotely similar to "don't worry guys I work for the CMA and looking forward to continuing playing COD on my playstation". You are demonizing the wrong regulatory body there, I'm afraid.

Well I mean I guess I think for me i want to believe that a regulatory body would give this due process and look for any way(s) to come out the other end with fair and positive outcome for the parties that are looking to be bought and sold and for the market itself that would be affected by the purchase. I mean are these regulatory bodies just created to cold block anything that might pose harm based on theory alone? Isn't that the whole point of structural and behavioral remedies in the first place? To appease the concerns of theoretical harm? So for the EC to accept the remedies and still push it forward yet the CMA to be so bullish about it when pretty much everyone else in the world was like yeah okay maybe it could be an issue beyond 10 years but we're going to in good faith go ahead and let this go through but with strict concessions and oversight.. I mean come on man that's the whole damn point of this process. The FTC did a backflip and jumped to block this immediately before any details were really even on their desk. This is just a big stupid power play for them and they're going to lose it. And the CMAbwas more quiet about it initially but sort of did the same thing but they fucked up big and everyone kept going on and on about how they never ever publicly apologize for making mistake yet they really had no choice here so yeah I do sort of feel it's somewhat saving face and being stubborn about their initial decision because they don't want to look like they were incompetent.

Wasn't it a CMA employee that said on Twitter very early on that the deal was going to be blocked and he would keep COD on his playstation? I don't think he worked for the department working this specific acquisition but it was still publicly stated either way by a CMA employee. I'm not demonizing anyone/thing, just pointing out that fact.

Pelta88

Well I mean I guess I think for me i want to believe that a regulatory body would give this due process and look for any way(s) to come out the other end with fair and positive outcome for the parties that are looking to be bought and sold

A fair and positive outcome was actually reached for us UK gamers.

But it seems, based on your posts that "fair" actually means allowing Microsoft to get what they want, when they want it.

feynoob

from a nutrients side it has everything and is better than all the surgar some countries have
but i would never eat that
We don't eat burgers as breakfast in our country.
This is our national breakfast.
hqdefault.jpg

With a side liver, beans or mix it with tea and sesame oil and you get a great healthy breakfast.

It too much food is the issue. For breakfast I usually have a piece of avocado toast with an egg over top, or some overnight oats with a bunch of different seeds and berries.
It depends on your metabolism and how much do you eat.
If you eat less food, that is how much your stomach can handle as you got used to it.

Last edited:

splattered

A fair and positive outcome was actually reached for us UK gamers.

But it seems, based on your posts that "fair" actually means allowing Microsoft to get what they want, when they want it.

Ahhhh so you believe Sony getting what they wanted was the correct outcome and what was fair for UK gamers. got it. I never said Microsoft should be able to do whatever they want when they want it. But when nearly the entire world reviews this and says ok hmm errr well maaaybe ok yes fine we approve it but under these strict conditions then something is just off with the UK. I mean if we had several other countries stepping up and eventually blocking this like the CMA did then I would 100% say yes this was thoroughly reviewed and given fair process and multiple countries believe it should not go through... Then it shouldn't go through. But that just isn't the case here.

sainraja

No, I'll play the games wherever I need to. Ultimately the final decision doesn't really matter to me. I kinda just wanna see it pass for the drama though. It's not about "what I wanted" as I was playing Activision games before the acquisition and I'll be playing them after regardless of the outcome. No, Microsoft should not be able to do whatever they want but when only a couple of regulators are trying to block the deal contrary to every other regulator in the world it just appears as if something has to be seriously off with the motivations behind the two blockers versus everyone else in the WORLD. You can flip the "because it is/isn't what you wanted" argument in either direction. I still remember all the posts of PS fans laughing every time someone suggested a large acquisition like this saying stuff like "oh sure, Microsoft is just going to open their war chest and give billions of dollars to Xbox to go buy huge publishers pffft keep dreaming!" and boom it happened. Then the narrative shifted to "uhhhh ok but that isn't fair because Sony can't afford to do the same. To "But Microsoft is just evil and will ruin everything they touch they must be stopped at all cost!" It's all rather silly regardless of what side of the fence you sit on.
If your reason really is: "I just want to see drama", then that is even worse—that is just childish and shows how unhealthy your emotional investment in this whole thing is. lol.

Microsoft will be fine no matter what happens and if it helps you, so will Sony (given your responses so far, it's not like you care about that particular outcome).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Well I mean I guess I think for me i want to believe that a regulatory body would give this due process and look for any way(s) to come out the other end with fair and positive outcome for the parties that are looking to be bought and sold and for the market itself that would be affected by the purchase. I mean are these regulatory bodies just created to cold block anything that might pose harm based on theory alone? Isn't that the whole point of structural and behavioral remedies in the first place? To appease the concerns of theoretical harm? So for the EC to accept the remedies and still push it forward yet the CMA to be so bullish about it when pretty much everyone else in the world was like yeah okay maybe it could be an issue beyond 10 years but we're going to in good faith go ahead and let this go through but with strict concessions and oversight.. I mean come on man that's the whole damn point of this process. The FTC did a backflip and jumped to block this immediately before any details were really even on their desk. This is just a big stupid power play for them and they're going to lose it. And the CMAbwas more quiet about it initially but sort of did the same thing but they fucked up big and everyone kept going on and on about how they never ever publicly apologize for making mistake yet they really had no choice here so yeah I do sort of feel it's somewhat saving face and being stubborn about their initial decision because they don't want to look like they were incompetent.

Wasn't it a CMA employee that said on Twitter very early on that the deal was going to be blocked and he would keep COD on his playstation? I don't think he worked for the department working this specific acquisition but it was still publicly stated either way by a CMA employee. I'm not demonizing anyone/thing, just pointing out that fact.

Don't know why you believe the point of all this is to come to a "positive outcome" on the behalf of a $2 trillion corporation. When it comes to a massive corporation grabbing even more power then I fundamentally disagree with this notion that regulatory bodies should be working to make that happen. The point of all this is to prevent lessening of competition. Both the EC and the CMA agree that there is a distinct possibility of that happening. And yes, every merger that is examined is based on "theory alone". That is why they call it "theory of harm". By their very essence, these regulatory bodies are attempting to predict the future in every single merger and acquisition that they review. And remember, it was Microsoft that threw out the possibility of a "structural remedy" that the CMA was wiling to consider. So if we are going to say CMA is being "bullish" then so is Microsoft.

And let's be clear, "everyone else in the world" are going to go along with this because they know they are not going to impact the deal one way or another so why piss off a company that brings in revenue to their country? UK, US, EC and China are the lynchpins here and factually, the only ones in the merger agreement that matter. So hiding behind CADE, New Zealand, etc. really isn't much of a position at all.

And folks keep making a big deal about the CMA's mistake as if that was their damning act of incompetence. That is absurd. The "provisional findings" are called that for a reason. Before the CMA's final ruling but after they threw out the console aspect of the findings, there was nothing but praise from those in favor of the acquisition. Even that jackass Florian Mueller was singing their praises for having the integrity to fix their mistake and make a major change to their findings. So no.....holding up that mistake/correction now, after the fact, also falls flat.

No, it wasn't a CMA employee who said that on Twitter. It was an EC employee.

Last edited:

feynoob

Don't know why you believe the point of all this is to come to a "positive outcome" on the behalf of a $2 trillion corporation. When it comes to a massive corporation grabbing even more power then I fundamentally disagree with this notion that regulatory bodies should be working to make that happen. The point of all this is to prevent lessening of competition. Both the EC and the CMA agree that there is a distinct possibility of that happening. And yes, every merger that is prevent is based on "theory alone". That is why they call it "theory of harm". By their very essence, these regulatory bodies are attempting to predict the future in every single merger and acquisition that they review. And remember, it was Microsoft that threw out the possibility of a "structural remedy" that the CMA was wiling to consider. So if we are going to say CMA is being "bullish" then so is Microsoft.

And let's be clear, "everyone else in the world" are going to go along with this because they know they are not going to impact the deal one way or another so why piss off a company that brings in revenue to their country? UK, US, EC and China are the lynchpins here and factually, the only ones in the merger agreement that matter. So hiding behind CADE, New Zealand, etc. really isn't much of a position at all.

And folks keep making a big deal about the CMA's mistake as if that was their damning act of incompetence. That is absurd. The "provisional findings" are called that for a reason. Before the CMA's final ruling but after they threw out the console aspect of the findings, there was nothing but praise from those in favor of the acquisition. Even that jackass Florian Mueller was singing their praises for having the integrity to fix their mistake and make a major change to their findings. So no.....holding up that mistake/correction now, after the fact, also falls flat.

This guy shouldn't be in the commission. He used "my playstation".

sainraja

Ahhhh so you believe Sony getting what they wanted was the correct outcome and what was fair for UK gamers. got it. I never said Microsoft should be able to do whatever they want when they want it. But when nearly the entire world reviews this and says ok hmm errr well maaaybe ok yes fine we approve it but under these strict conditions then something is just off with the UK. I mean if we had several other countries stepping up and eventually blocking this like the CMA did then I would 100% say yes this was thoroughly reviewed and given fair process and multiple countries believe it should not go through... Then it shouldn't go through. But that just isn't the case here.
Yeah, because every country is an exact copy of one another and their market situation is exactly the same. lol

Only pathetic fanboys could defend such statement. Feels bad for their employees when they are already paid below their peers from Faang but i guess it what it is.
MS has amazing benefits and plenty of people work for MS instead of FAANG because the cost of living is so much cheaper and better in PNW instead of SV. You can't directly compare salaries without considering CoL.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
We don't eat burgers as breakfast in our country.
This is our national breakfast.
hqdefault.jpg

With a side liver, beans or mix it with tea and sesame oil and you get a great healthy breakfast.
for the US? i tought breakfast there was ce(sugar)real and pancakes with alot of syrup

for me best bf is omelette with bread and oil, or a croissant with milk or coffee

splattered

Don't know why you believe the point of all this is to come to a "positive outcome" on the behalf of a $2 trillion corporation. When it comes to a massive corporation grabbing even more power then I fundamentally disagree with this notion that regulatory bodies should be working to make that happen. The point of all this is to prevent lessening of competition. Both the EC and the CMA agree that there is a distinct possibility of that happening. And yes, every merger that is prevent is based on "theory alone". That is why they call it "theory of harm". By their very essence, these regulatory bodies are attempting to predict the future in every single merger and acquisition that they review. And remember, it was Microsoft that threw out the possibility of a "structural remedy" that the CMA was wiling to consider. So if we are going to say CMA is being "bullish" then so is Microsoft.

My bad I thought it was a CMA employee lmao ... That's kind of hilarious that they passed it then after he made this post early on.

To be fair i kind of both agree and disagree with you in various views you stated. I don't think that a trillion dollar company should be protected at all but at the same time I don't feel like people should just be quick to try and crap on them just because they're a large corporation. And I feel like that's what happened with the FTC and CMA. Also I wouldn't discount the regulatory body decisions from other countries just because they're not as big as the UK US China etc. That's like saying yeah we are an active part of this political world and can make heavy weighing decisions affecting the outcome of global affairs but we're not as big as the other guys so we don't really matter at the end of the day so screw it just do whatever you want here's the rubber stamp. Sorry I just don't believe that.

Last edited:

feynoob

for the US? i tought breakfast there was ce(sugar)real and pancakes with alot of syrup

for me best bf is omelette with bread and oil, or a croissant with milk or coffee
That is my home country Somalia food.

Here they eat pancakes with a lot of sugar. I have to drink water whenever I eat them, due to high amount of sugar

Three

Why are you acting like the US didn't block too?

Banjo64

cumsessed
You guys still hoping it wont go through? lol. MS is gonna smack the FTC in court, then once MS threatens to withhold ABK content in the UK the CMA will fold. Its obvious.
Oh look, another account from 2018 with 30 comments, no profile picture and only comes out to promote M$ conspiracy theories.

Good pet, I hope you can exchange the money for good boy points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom