• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has Closed the Activision Blizzard King Deal

Dane

I've still waiting for the xbox fanatics on here to tell me how this is good for the industry or gamers.

Other than Sony too and all sonys fault to repeating MS talking points such as
Bringing more games to gamers.

Biggest 3rd party on there planet locking their games To one system bar cod. Just so Xbox fans can cheer they get Activision games on gamepass? I don't get it, you were always get the games from Activision?

So what's next? EA, ubisoft? We already know they want Nintendo.. even the shill articles are doing the rounds saying Nintendo should sell.

And if this gamepass gamble fails? This obsession with consolidation is weird.
Its good for me and PC and Xbox players, Microsoft has to give to their customers, not people outside that.

At least, that's one user used to say when it was regarding to third party franchises having exclusive titles on the other system /s

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've still waiting for the xbox fanatics on here to tell me how this is good for the industry or gamers.

Biggest 3rd party on there planet locking their games To one system bar cod. Just so Xbox fans can cheer they get Activision games on gamepass? I don't get it, you were always get the games from Activision?

So what's next? EA, ubisoft? We already know they want Nintendo.. even the shill articles are doing the rounds saying Nintendo should sell.

There's already been talks about Blizzard's new survival game being exclusive to Xbox. So yea, gamepass, you're right. But I think the new games are what Xbox and PC folks have to look forward to. At least that's what I look forward to. Couldn't care less about COD, couldn't care less about WOW. I don't really care for Overwatch either. It's the new IP I'm looking forward to.

I'm ready to leave this era of remakes, remasters and half-assed sequels. Need somebody to stop playing it safe. Stop with the money grabs like COD MW3 and Overwatch 2. Ready for some new blood.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Honestly, my interest is purely that more games come to game pass and I think theres more chance of microsoft putting Toys for Bob etc back on Tony Hawks remaster, sign off more remasters and sequels than Activision ever were going to do.

Whether or not they do, we will have to see but honestly Im good with more games on game pass. If gamepass fails, there will always be good games. You can buy studios, companies, publishers etc but Talent wins and there will be plenty of talent in the world to make games somewhere.

Worst case scenario, Game pass fails, Activision crumbles and Microsoft paid 70 billion for IP they ultimately sell off for the most they can get.

NickFire

There's already been talks about Blizzard's new survival game being exclusive to Xbox. So yea, gamepass, you're right. But I think the new games are what Xbox and PC folks have to look forward to. At least that's what I look forward to. Couldn't care less about COD, couldn't care less about WOW. I don't really care for Overwatch either. It's the new IP I'm looking forward to.

I'm ready to leave this era of remakes, remasters and half-assed sequels. Need somebody to stop playing it safe. Stop with the money grabs like COD MW3 and Overwatch 2. Ready for some new blood.
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for a lot of new IP. Way too much money was spent to then take resources away from the biggest games they just bought.

Speaking of WoW though, that is an interesting situation. Will it come to console? Will it get packaged into GP? Putting it on console, and requiring a sub to either just WoW or GP could be powerful bait to bring people into that eco-system.

I don't understand why anybody would logically wish for Microsoft's failure at this point. Suggestion for the Sony fans...Since the deal is done, why not take the lemons and hope they can make lemonade. It means better games in the future or, the alternative, them basically destroying some very popular franchises. I mean this doesn't really threaten Playstation anyway.

That seems like a harsh reality to bear just for an opportunity to say "I told you so".

Because it's a massive monopoly. Neither Sony or Microsoft should be able to do what they are doing. You must be extremely low IQ if you don't understand the ramifications of less competition. How about higher prices, lower quality and less options just to name a few. When everything is Gamepass or PS Plus you will own nothing and be happy.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Because it's a massive monopoly. Neither Sony or Microsoft should be able to do what they are doing. You must be extremely low IQ if you don't understand the ramifications of less competition. How about higher prices, lower quality and less options just to name a few.

"Massive monopoly" from the fourth largest gaming company behind Sony, Tencent, and Nintendo.

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Topher

Gold Member
Because it's a massive monopoly. Neither Sony or Microsoft should be able to do what they are doing. You must be extremely low IQ if you don't understand the ramifications of less competition. How about higher prices, lower quality and less options just to name a few. When everything is Gamepass or PS Plus you will own nothing and be happy.

What “massive monopoly” are you talking about again?

Nothing GamePass does stops you from buying the game.
They even offer you a discount if you are a GamePass subscriber on games that you play on the service and decide you want to own.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for a lot of new IP. Way too much money was spent to then take resources away from the biggest games they just bought.

Speaking of WoW though, that is an interesting situation. Will it come to console? Will it get packaged into GP? Putting it on console, and requiring a sub to either just WoW or GP could be powerful bait to bring people into that eco-system.
I really don't see how it's possible with WOW. I haven't played the game much, but the sheer amount of abilities on these bars is insane. Even in a game like Final Fantasy XIV, where the cross bar solution works well enough it argulably much more difficult to play on controller IMO. I started out with an old Toshiba Qosmio gaming laptop when FFXIV first came out...then went to my PS3 playing on controller. I literally quit for years until I could get a decent PC again to play FFXIV again. That's just my experience. I imagine it would be much more difficult to implement controller for WOW. Just thinking about it. I raid 3 times a week in FFXIV.

I use QERFG, 12345, Holding CTRL(remapped to button 4 on my mouse) + QERFG. CRTL + 12345 and ALT (remapped to button 5 on my mouse) +12345. All of these key commands are different abilities. That's 25 individual abilities...and I don't even have everything on my bars. With Cross bar, you get your main bar with the D-pad and face buttons. You can switch half the bar with L2 and the other half with R2....then you can switch to a completely new bar if you pull both L2 and R2. More bars are available if you hold R1 and tap the D-pad up or down. Just me explaining this makes me want to turn the game off, and I'm not even playing right now.

Last edited:

NickFire

I really don't see how it's possible with WOW. I haven't played the game much, but the sheer amount of abilities on these bars is insane. Even in a game like Final Fantasy XIV, where the cross bar solution works well enough it argulably much more difficult to play on controller IMO. I started out with an old Toshiba Qosmio gaming laptop when FFXIV first came out...then went to my PS3 playing on controller. I literally quit for years until I could get a decent PC again to play FFXIV again. That's just my experience. I imagine it would be much more difficult to implement controller for WOW. Just thinking about it. I raid 3 times a week in FFXIV.

I use QERFG, 12345, Holding CTRL(remapped to button 4 on my mouse) + QERFG. CRTL + 12345 and ALT (remapped to button 5 on my mouse) +12345. All of these key commands are different abilities. That's 25 individual abilities...and I don't even have everything on my bars. With Cross bar, you get your main bar with the D-pad and face buttons. You can switch half the bar with L2 and the other half with R2....then you can switch to a completely new bar if you pull both L2 and R2. More bars are available if you hold R1 and tap the D-pad up or down. Just me explaining this makes me want to turn the game off, and I'm not even playing right now.
I've been console only my entire life, but my brother is long time WoW enthusiast. He says the same thing you do about number of abilities. It does sound like a challenge to bring to consoles.

Gudji

Seems like Phil already delayed Diablo 4 season 2 last minute (I kid I kid). Holy shit wtf is going at blizzard. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We all know that's Microsoft's end game. Why exactly do you want two companies to own everything?
That's a hell of a stretch assuming I want two companies to own everything.

My response is on your statement that you "own nothing and will be happy" and that you can buy your games and still be a GamePass subscriber as nothing on their is exclusive to where you can't buy it if choose.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Everything on game pass or PS+ is also available to purchase at retail or digital storefronts.

Don't let the baseless fearmongering take over you, buddy boy.

Last edited:

Schmick

I don't think I'm disagreeing; however, you are arguing your point for no reason. They get that buying power by having money in the bank. So yes, they want that $6B profit for sure. I'm also saying, in 10 years they will want that investment back in the bank. Sure, it only collects interest, but also, if they didn't have the cash on hand today, the Activision purchase wouldn't have happened. So please enlighten me on how they don't want to make a return on investment (ROI) on this deal? Wouldn't it make sense to make the money back to maybe purchase more assets? Let's also assume, Microsoft is not limited to gaming. $70b ready to roll will help every facet of the company.
I think they'll be ok.

• Microsoft annual gross profit for 2023 was $146.052B, a 7.69% increase from 2022.
  • Microsoft annual gross profit for 2022 was $135.62B, a 17.06% increase from 2021.
  • Microsoft annual gross profit for 2021 was $115.856B, a 19.52% increase from 2020.

splattered

Can't find the most recent Diablo thread so I'll just post it here... Playing season 2 right now and actually digging it. Played rogue in season one and it was ok. Playing as blood surge necromancer in season 2 and really enjoying myself. Lots of QoL changes, faster horse traversal, faster leveling, etc. and the items in the battlepass are way cooler than season 1 I might actually grab the premium pass. Anyone else giving it a shot?

adamsapple

So you are saying then Sony didn't money hat this?

Modern Warfare 2 content, it was money-hatted for a year, the listing on other platforms has gone up but the 1 yr isn't over until late October. As seen above, it's not exactly accessible.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Modern Warfare 2 content, it was money-hatted for a year, the listing on other platforms has gone up but the 1 yr isn't over until late October. As seen above, it's not exactly accessible.
I wonder if MS will still allow PS players to shut off cross play directly in the game settings because Xbox does not have that in game and you are forced to do it at a system level.

Its the biggest perk to playing on PS for me is just playing other PS players and is the main reason I would always double dip

adamsapple

I wonder if MS will still allow PS players to shut off cross play directly in the game settings because Xbox does not have that in game and you are forced to do it at a system level.

Its the biggest perk to playing on PS for me is just playing other PS players and is the main reason I would always double dip

If they want to do the "feature parity on all versions" as Phil said, all of them should have the same options as well, ideally.

adamsapple

Guy on the right looks like young Herman Hulst, is this his time traveling origin story?

King Dazzar

He is bitter and mad.
R1Q9uhA.gif

Lol. Dear oh dear. Look, a photo of a bunch of chief execs is posted, by the beloved adamsapple adamsapple A known lover of certain execs and their anatomies. My dead pan humour posts a tongue in cheek collective term for them. Next, xbox defence force ensemble!!!! Shut him down, character assassinate him, hes just said something awful about our leaders!!!! Exterminate!! lol

resolution exterminate GIF by Doctor Who

Top Bottom