• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

freefornow

Anyone wanna give me a quick summary?
Flying In The Sky GIF by Safran

I've been away for the last like 20 pages, what's happened? Anyone wanna give me a quick summary? Is the only news that Sony and Microsoft are talking about a deal now?

Latest bits.

1. Some new guy popped up and said that Sony is visiting Microsoft to ask for a perpetual COD deal and to divest Blizzard.

2. Lulu made a comment on twitter that she deleted.

3. Microsofts talk at the EU maybe a last ditch effort to seal the deal.

Thats about it.

Iced Arcade

I think the confusion is that Philly said xcloud wasn't using azure a few months back when this all started to hit bumps.

edit: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/uk-re...uisition-of-activision-blizzard-xbox-responds

"Microsoft believes the CMA's concerns here are flawed as currently Microsoft's Xbox Cloud Gaming service does not use Azure, and does not stream games from PC hardware."

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I think the confusion is that Philly said xcloud wasn't using azure a few months back when this all started to hit bumps.

edit: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/uk-re...uisition-of-activision-blizzard-xbox-responds

"Microsoft believes the CMA's concerns here are flawed as currently Microsoft's Xbox Cloud Gaming service does not use Azure, and does not stream games from PC hardware."

I mean, this is Microsoft's/Phil's entire problem right? They say one thing to the public, and then they say another thing behind closed doors. The fact that anyone puts trust and faith in them is ridiculous. How do you trust someone that is constantly lying and/or misleading?

P.S. This doesn't just apply to Microsoft. They have just been caught doing this so many times in the last few months, likely due to increased scrutiny because of this acquisition. I have no doubt that all other large corporations do the same thing. History repeats itself.

Thirty7ven

Banned
What? I'm one of those weirdos that actually enjoy multiplayer games and appreciate cross-play. I actually WANT COD to remain on playstation. I just wish devs would let us separate PC and Console crossplay as an option. I own all consoles and most of my friends and/or family either own all consoles or the games they play we can still play with each other regardless.

skit_data

The whole ”Sony plane flies to MS HQ” seems like an awful stretch and wishful thinking, I don’t think they’ve gone this far just to start negotiating, especially now with regulators indicate that they want structural remedies and possibly make the deal fall apart completely.

But I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if this would be the case.

Last edited:
The whole ”Sony plane flies to MS HQ” seems like an awful stretch and wishful thinking, I don’t think they’ve gone this far just to start negotiating, especially now with regulators indicate that they want structural remedies and possibly make the deal fall apart completely.

But I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if this would be the case.
It also portrays Microsoft in a position of negotiating strength, which they’re 100% not. Why would Sony execs fly to MS HQ to negotiate a deal that they’re likely going to win through regulating entities?

Just absolute dumbassery by people who’ve been overinflated through this whole ordeal.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Let me predict some of the next concessions MS will propose:

1. "We'll get out of hardware!"
2. "We'll give Sony the Halo IP!"
3. "We'll give Sony a 40% take instead of 30%!"
4. "We'll make Phil gain weight and co-star in Hitch 2, with Jim Ryan playing Will Smith's character!"
5. "We'll pay reparations for Hiroshima and Nagasaki!"

It also portrays Microsoft in a position of negotiating strength, which they’re 100% not. Why would Sony execs fly to MS HQ to negotiate a deal that they’re likely going to win through regulating entities?

Just absolute dumbassery by people who’ve been overinflated through this whole ordeal.

I think what they srr trying to say is that Microsoft is so desperate for this deal that they will offer Sony anything.

I don't believe that's the case here.

I think what they srr trying to say is that Microsoft is so desperate for this deal that they will offer Sony anything.

IF this flight is for execs that are heading to Microsoft HQ, it would be because they were invited to have a conversation about what concessions M$ is considering to try and get Sony onboard. That is a big IF imo.

As it's been said, Sony has studios in the Redmond area, Bungie being the most notable as they have Lightfall dropping in 11 days. Could be a whole lot of nothing to do with anything.

IF this flight is for execs that are heading to Microsoft HQ, it would be because they were invited to have a conversation about what concessions M$ is considering to try and get Sony onboard. That is a big IF imo.

As it's been said, Sony has studios in the Redmond area, Bungie being the most notable as they have Lightfall dropping in 11 days. Could be a whole lot of nothing to do with anything.

If all Sony is concerned about is Microsoft not owning COD then regulators will take care of that. Not sure why Sony would let Microsoft have COD unless they were getting something big in return.

When it cines to the regulators it doesn't seen like they will favor Microsoft with this deal. I have no idea how Microsoft will convince them to have ABK without any concessions.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Let me predict some of the next concessions MS will propose:

1. "We'll get out of hardware!"
2. "We'll give Sony the Halo IP!"
3. "We'll give Sony a 40% take instead of 30%!"
4. "We'll make Phil gain weight and co-star in Hitch 2, with Jim Ryan playing Will Smith's character!"
5. "We'll pay reparations for Hiroshima and Nagasaki!"

Jez Corden is expecting the worst

If all Sony is concerned about is Microsoft not owning COD then regulators will take care of that. Not sure why Sony would let Microsoft have COD unless they were getting something big in return.

When it cines to the regulators it doesn't seen like they will favor Microsoft with this deal. I have no idea how Microsoft will convince them to have ABK without any concessions.

Oh I agree, concessions will have to be made. I think a 1:1 discussion with Sony to come to terms will help the deal's chances more than this back and forth with the various regulating entities.

Oh I agree, concessions will have to be made. I think a 1:1 discussion with Sony to come to terms will help the deal's chances more than this back and forth with the various regulating entities.

I guess in the end it depends on how badly Microsoft wants COD. Going through the regulators they will probably lose it. But if Sony is okay with them owning COD then that could change things for the regulators since Sony isn't complaining about COD anymore. However for that to happen Sony will probably ask for something in return. I'm not sure Microsoft will accept the concessions that Sony wants just to keep COD.

Do you think Sony can spend on the level of MS, Google and Amazon?
Spending money doesn't guarantee success. MS has spent billions over the last 20 years. Third place in console gaming. Cloud generates no direct money for Xbox and remains a feature of a tier of their subscription service. That is not a market and certainly not something to block this acquisition over.

Jez Corden is expecting the worst

I thought no one listened to Jez.

Spending money doesn't guarantee success. MS has spent billions over the last 20 years. Third place in console gaming. Cloud generates no direct money for Xbox and remains a feature of a tier of their subscription service. That is not a market and certainly not something to block this acquisition over.

I thought no one listened to Jez.
10 days old and he said he was being sarcastic in the next post, not sure why this is being brought up.

And to think they thought they could get away with only 3 years. Shows that they misread the regulator’s on this.
They also finished the Bethesda acquisition and immediately announced everything was going Xbox only without even considering how regulators might change their response to future acquisitions, especially bigger ones. Their arrogance in this whole thing was breathtaking to behold.

I agree with you and HerpDerpstreit HerpDerpstreit . My point is that there is no way Sony execs are flying to MS HQ to give input on crafting remedies to ensure MS gets the deal done when they're in a position of negotiating strength.

Much more likely Phil and co would be flying to the steps of PS HQ in San Mateo to beg for cooperation, or the likeliest possibility, they're there for another reasons totally unrelated to MS.

Whichever the case may be - who flew to whom and why - its mostly irrelevant. There are a myriad of reasons why MS and Sony could be meeting, many of which don't have anything to do with the ATVI deal.

Considering the amount of effort Sony has gone through in order to block the deal on some level, I doubt they would meet with MS at this point simply to negotiate, especially due to the fact that Sony is by all accounts winning this regulatory battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom