• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoofHearted

Judge granted adjournment conditional on "evidence" provided. Not entirely clear on what evidence he needs, but he granted the adjournment regardless.
so - a little confused - CMA is essentially dropping their block? and they're going to work out remaining details? or they're adjourning until the evidence is presented and CAT makes a final ruling?

feynoob

Gold Member
To the people that are lost, here is what happened.
Both the judge and CMA got a nice package from MS.
Joe Pesci Film GIF by NETFLIX

havoc00

I think Id rather work in Mcdonalds than have to be in this court all day and listen to this days a week for hours on end

Topher

Gold Member
so - a little confused - CMA is essentially dropping their block? and they're going to work out remaining details? or they're adjourning until the evidence is presented and CAT makes a final ruling?

I'm confused about all that as well. I think what is going to happen is CMA isn't blocking anymore as they seem to have the framework of a deal in place (although they contradicted that several times). The adjournment is granted so MS and ABK can close......I guess.

Seems like a lot of this based on trust that everyone will do what they say they are going to do. Kind of weird.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm confused about all that as well. I think what is going to happen is CMA isn't blocking anymore as they seem to have the framework of a deal in place (although they contradicted that several times). The adjournment is granted so MS and ABK can close......I guess.

Seems like a lot of this based on trust that everyone will do what they say they are going to do. Kind of weird.
It was weird the whole trust me bro argument and the Judge said ok but I need said proof eventually.

I never got the feeling the CMA was going to stop this once Corley issued her ruling

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What my little non-lawyer brain is interpreting is that the judge is granting the CMA/MS request for adjournment but on a conditional case that he needs the CMA to show him sufficient evidence (in due course) that it was presented a new deal that was sufficient enough to make the original be adjourned.

cross-eyed.gif

havoc00

So it just depends on how long it takes for CMA/Microsoft to discuss and finalize the proposed remedy, which appears to be a divestiture of xCloud in the UK? The CMA said at the start of the trial that they have not received Microsoft's final remedy just yet, maybe Microsoft is still working out who xCloud will be divested to.

Is this what it seems like now?

feynoob

Gold Member
So it just depends on how long it takes for CMA/Microsoft to discuss and finalize the proposed remedy, which appears to be a divestiture of xCloud in the UK? The CMA said at the start of the trial that they have not received Microsoft's final remedy just yet, maybe Microsoft is still working out who xCloud will be divested to.

Is this what it seems like now?
No. We have no idea what is going behind there.
CMA and MS dont want to spill it out.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Doesn't the deal need to be done by tomorrow or can they agree to extend it?

I don't see any reason why they can't extend. The deal is on the verge of completion with all road blocks out, Bobby 'backing out' after all this legal kerfuffle wouldn't make sense, why settle for $3 bn when he is securing $68 bn.

Banjo64

cumsessed

But they still need until 29th August to review the none existent resubmission - so is it being extended? Surely the CMA can’t consent to closure without a proper submission?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

IRRC, current CMA final report about current deal still stands and cannot be overturned until the new final report about the new deal. CAT appeal is also paused until the end of July, not cancelled.

But maybe I'm stupid.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I don't see any reason why they can't extend. The deal is on the verge of completion with all road blocks out, Bobby 'backing out' after all this legal kerfuffle wouldn't make sense, why settle for $3 bn when he is securing $68 bn.
He is going to get huge backlash from his investors.

tryDEATH

The conspiracy meltdown here is wild and seems to be the coping mechanism. The EC passed the deal, the FTC failed with a horrible argument, and now the CMA conceded as they were the only ones left with their pants down witha BS objection to the acquisition.

It wasn't money or corruption that got this deal to pass, but a lack off actual real market issues this merger would cause leaving the agency cases extremely weak and which wouldn't under scrutiny be enough to block this acquisition. MS offered guarantees/contracts and remedies to address any issues the agency's had leaving the courts to side with MS. The agencies in fact did their part in protecting the market by "forcing" MS into these deals, which MS knew they had to make if they wanted this to go through.

DrFigs

There might be a season 2 to all this if they extend the timeline for the deal and the FTC can appeal it. What a cliffhanger! Or is it just the 2nd act "all is lost moment" and there will be a quick resolution ? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
But they still need until 29th August to review the none existent resubmission - so is it being extended? Surely the CMA can’t consent to closure without a proper submission?
If they care about that, they would have agreed with the judge.
CMA and MS are hiding something.

Topher

Gold Member
Man.....I got so confused during this thing with this Marcus Smith judge. I got a reply from mckmas8808 mckmas8808 in the Ratchet and Clank SSD thread about Insomniac's Marcus Smith.....

What are you guys trying to accomplish here? You understand what Marcus Smith was saying so why play dumb? He was right. Is this supposed to be some gotcha dev "we caught you in a lie" blog post?

I was like "what the fuck you talking about man?"

Canadian Lol GIF

Topher

Gold Member

IRRC, current CMA final report about current deal still stands and cannot be overturned until the new final report about the new deal. CAT appeal is also paused until the end of July, not cancelled.

But maybe I'm stupid.

I really don't know, but I get the sense the rest of this is just a formality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom