• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No it's not because both ABK and MS told the judge that this deal will be dead if they don't close it before July 18.

I mean, there was some urgency posturing involved there lol, but I guess Corley wasn't joking when she said it shouldn't take her months to reach this decision.

bitbydeath bitbydeath , see.

Last edited:
Didn't really expect the FTC to win this. Just need to see if MS will close over the CMA or wait for that process to play out.
They have to as it falls outside the final date set to close. I have no clue the ramifications of doing that but anyone with half a brain knew the FTC had no case or at best was paper thin yet you had all the so called experts saying otherwise, lol.

Varteras

Gold Member
The issue now becomes the fact that they are flying completely solo.

But are they, though? With multiple regulators citing cloud gaming as a concern, one enforcing behavioral remedies, one regulator willing to block but not having the authority, and considering the CMA just got done blocking Meta by themselves... I don't know that's a strong case on its own.

The whole "oh they only have 5 more days to 'win" talking point is weird, ACTV and MS can always renegotiate and extend the term. There was nothing preventing that.

It's about ABK's willingness to pursue at this point considering they have yet to extend when they would have known the CMA process would be lengthy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He's not even hiding being a plant. It's actually hilarious.
It's all corruption, so they don't really even care.

FTC didn't get the PI despite Microsoft literally talking about "spending Sony out of business" which means anything and everything is allowed. The judge essentially said that the FTC does not even need to investigate it further.

If those emails weren't leaked, perhaps it'd have made sense. But now it's like tooooo obvious lol.

Historia

Banned
FINALLY, SOME APPRECIATION!
bocchi-the-rock-anime.gif

I'm melting. RN

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Welp, there it is.

I knew the FTC was done. I held out hope but here we go.

So the next battle is the CMA...I'm guessing now Microsoft has to decide whether to close over them or not.

Microsoft better do us right. What's the saying go..."with great power comes great responsatrilitraus"?

34vy4h.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I forget who it was who posted a link telling all the big FTC cases they’ve lost lately.

What a joke.

You’d think out of all the organizations who’d know the most about mergers, acquisitions and anti-competitive deals etc…. It’s be the FTC. Turns out these lose to company lawyers who know more about it than them. Lol

That would be like taking a tax return to H&R block and it turns out you know more about tax filing, refunds and deductions more than the guy sitting at the desk taking your money.

Whatever you think about the merger from a gaming industry perspective and I think this is not a good thing; this action by the FTC was always going to be a long shot given the realities of what the FTC was up against and the fact that mergers like this are basically never blocked in the US. The judge actually showed a pretty solid grasp of the issues during the case. It’s absurd that the narrative from some is going to be that this is about the judges son. The CMA is not going to be able to stop this merger from ultimately going through.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not the least bit surprised at the decision. For one, I don't think this will change Sony's dominant position in the market, and for two, the FTC was out there fighting for Sony, not the consumers.

I would lol if people finally got tired of COD after this and moved onto something else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The US hasn't blocked a vertical merger in decades. This wasn't gonna be the one to break that run.
I said something similar in these threads. If the gov isn’t going to block telecom companies merging (Canada made some remark too lately yet they also let the biggest stores merge and Rogers/Shaw telecom just merged too lately), they’ll let anything.

And if there is a chance of denial it’s not going to be video games.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I find that doubtful.

I'm not a UK guy so maybe things are different. But in the US I would expect the CMA appeal arguments to be based on evidence that CMA analyzed before their decision. Plus, I doubt the CMA considers or could prove that the judge is an expert on this. On top of that, if they disagreed with her ultimate analysis they would be saying she's wrong about everything expect one thing, which isn't a great look.
If CAT kicks it back to re-review, they now have new ammunition.

That is a big if.

LordCBH

The bar for getting the PI isn't that high in all honesty, they just fumbled the bag in court.

I’m still surprised they didn’t hammer cloud more. The sector where MS is actually truly prepared to starve out any potential competition.

So the FTC lost the PI hearing? It is what it is I guess.

I typed up a lot more but realized I was probably overreacting. Obviously have major concerns about what effects this acquisition can have in terms of encouraging mass consolidation of the biggest 3P companies in the market, let alone doubting Microsoft can effectively manage these acquired assets.

But there's still the CMA, and the FTC have options themselves. I'm guessing those ABK/Lulu/Sarah tweets were about this decision after all. Where is the class?

wolffy66

basically she thinks the FTC wouldn’t win on the merits when their claim is Microsoft is threatening to close the deal illegally before the 18th against the CMA

and she makes it so it’s possible for Microsoft to do exactly what the FTC accused them of which she denied? :pie_diana:

But the FTC gets PI in 70% of the cases.

And this wasn't about blocking the merger. This case was about getting a PI.
Correct but the judge obviously thought they wouldn't win. And she clearly thinks the FTC knew that and filed late as a way to work around that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom